More issues discovered on Sabo Bridge

More issues discovered on Sabo Bridge

There are 21 comments on the Finance and Commerce story from Feb 28, 2012, titled More issues discovered on Sabo Bridge. In it, Finance and Commerce reports that:

In this photo taken last week, crews work on the damaged Sabo pedestrian bridge in south Minneapolis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Finance and Commerce.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 10

Here

#2 Mar 1, 2012
Make sure the contractor that built it has nothing to do with the new Stillwater bridge that will be built sooner or later over the objections of Demokrats Betty McCollum and Keith Ellison.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3 Mar 1, 2012
Dat Tru wrote:
Talk about a bridge to nowhere: 5 years old, 7 million dollars (so far) out of commission for who knows how long. And Amy Klobuchar no where in sight with her usual criticism.
Were these the MnDOT inspectors that found this?
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 1, 2012
sumbitchin' MnDOT!
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 1, 2012
What the he1! is a Sabo pedestrian bridge...?

St. Croix valley

#8 Mar 1, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
Seriously? the bike/pedestrian bridge over highway 55 'tween Lake and Franklin.
Casey

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Mar 1, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
It's a bridge you can only cross wearing skin-tight Lycra bike shorts!

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Mar 1, 2012
You also need that flashing light on the back, and a Greg Lamond helmet.

St. Croix valley

#11 Mar 1, 2012
Casey wrote:
<quoted text>It's a bridge you can only cross wearing skin-tight Lycra bike shorts!
Actually, it's a bridge no-one can cross.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Mar 1, 2012
it was only a 5 million dollar bridge for the lycra people.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Mar 1, 2012
Casey wrote:
<quoted text>It's a bridge you can only cross wearing skin-tight Lycra bike shorts!
I thought that was the Jimmy 'Bikeshorts' Oberstar bridge?

St. Croix valley

#14 Mar 2, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that was the Jimmy 'Bikeshorts' Oberstar bridge?
NO, that's the 'Bring Money Into My Neighbors' Pockets Bike Trail" on Superior's North Coast.
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#15 Mar 2, 2012
Was this a Privately Funded Bridge?

Did the State or Federal.... engineers, designers, scientists, EPA, EEOC, Afirmative Action, Minority Owned Business, and EVERY OTHER agency filled with Dependents with Government Jobs get a taste of this?

This is another example of crap, brought to you using the taxes that were conficated by the force of law, to "Build" something useless, costly, and defective.

And the Sheeple say.....Bababahayahahaha
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 2, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>NO, that's the 'Bring Money Into My Neighbors' Pockets Bike Trail" on Superior's North Coast.
I bet you meant Superiors 'West Coast'. I have friends at Thunder Bay and they laugh at Minnesota referring to the west end of Lake Superior as the 'North Shore'. The north shore obviously is Canada.
(I will add that the people of Duluth do not know how to read a compass. To them the lake is south and West Duluth, is actually at the south end of Duluth).

St. Croix valley

#17 Mar 2, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you meant Superiors 'West Coast'. I have friends at Thunder Bay and they laugh at Minnesota referring to the west end of Lake Superior as the 'North Shore'. The north shore obviously is Canada.
(I will add that the people of Duluth do not know how to read a compass. To them the lake is south and West Duluth, is actually at the south end of Duluth).
It's the North shore as opposed to the 'Sconi side.

My family is from Duluth. Yes, the West end/ East End thing is not geographically correct, but i think it is easier than saying the East-northest end.

i know too well that most Minnesotans do not realize how much the lake extends northeast of the border. When I talk about the wraparound effect we get from most of the clippers that come through and how that gives us lake enhanced snowfall,(not lake effect...totally different) i often have to pull out a map to show how much lake is up there.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Mar 2, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>It's the North shore as opposed to the 'Sconi side.
My family is from Duluth. Yes, the West end/ East End thing is not geographically correct, but i think it is easier than saying the East-northest end.
i know too well that most Minnesotans do not realize how much the lake extends northeast of the border. When I talk about the wraparound effect we get from most of the clippers that come through and how that gives us lake enhanced snowfall,(not lake effect...totally different) i often have to pull out a map to show how much lake is up there.
That's my point, it is not East End-West End, it's north and south but the powers that once were in Duluth never learned how to use a compass. I was not even referencing the Arrowhead Region, just Duluth and the mis-named 'North Shore'.

St. Croix valley

#19 Mar 3, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my point, it is not East End-West End, it's north and south but the powers that once were in Duluth never learned how to use a compass. I was not even referencing the Arrowhead Region, just Duluth and the mis-named 'North Shore'.
Actually, no. It is the north east end and the south west end. did you use the same map as the Duluth powers that once were?

And yes, as opposed to the Wisconsin side, it is the northern shore.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 3, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no. It is the north east end and the south west end. did you use the same map as the Duluth powers that once were?
And yes, as opposed to the Wisconsin side, it is the northern shore.
I lived in Duluth. The big lake is east of Duluth, it is not south of Duluth. The north shire of Lake Superior is in Canada (or mostly in Canada). The west end of Duluth is south of downtown Duluth. It is also a little west, but mostly south. The Miller Hill Mall is west of downtown Duluth not north of downtown. If the lake is south of Duluth and not east then Wisconsin is south of Duluth. It obviously is not. The people of Duluth don't know how to read a compass. I'm not particularly concerned with the perception of the compass of the people of Wisconsin.

St. Croix valley

#21 Mar 3, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Duluth. The big lake is east of Duluth, it is not south of Duluth. The north shire of Lake Superior is in Canada (or mostly in Canada). The west end of Duluth is south of downtown Duluth. It is also a little west, but mostly south. The Miller Hill Mall is west of downtown Duluth not north of downtown. If the lake is south of Duluth and not east then Wisconsin is south of Duluth. It obviously is not. The people of Duluth don't know how to read a compass. I'm not particularly concerned with the perception of the compass of the people of Wisconsin.
You should check a map, you directions are skewed.

what would be a better name for the north shore?
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Mar 3, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>You should check a map, you directions are skewed.
what would be a better name for the north shore?
Right back at you.

The north shore should more accurately be called the west shore. Just because it is in northern Minnesota does not change the compass. Most of Minnesota is west of Lake Superior. Where does the north shore begin, at Duluth? There has to be a west end of the lake thus a west shore. Just because the shoreline runs SW to NE doesn't really change things. Look at a map of southern Minnesota. Highway 60 runs the same direction as the 'north shore'. When heading towards the Twin Cities it is eastbound. When driving away from the Twin Cities it is westbound, that's just one example. I might be a little on edge with the northshore thing, and it is my opinion, but the west end Duluth thing is really stupid since you have to go south and pretty much only south to get there.

St. Croix valley

#23 Mar 4, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Right back at you.
The north shore should more accurately be called the west shore. Just because it is in northern Minnesota does not change the compass. Most of Minnesota is west of Lake Superior. Where does the north shore begin, at Duluth? There has to be a west end of the lake thus a west shore. Just because the shoreline runs SW to NE doesn't really change things. Look at a map of southern Minnesota. Highway 60 runs the same direction as the 'north shore'. When heading towards the Twin Cities it is eastbound. When driving away from the Twin Cities it is westbound, that's just one example. I might be a little on edge with the northshore thing, and it is my opinion, but the west end Duluth thing is really stupid since you have to go south and pretty much only south to get there.
just like there is a very small part of the shore that is on the north end of the lake, there is an even smaller part that is on the west end.

Your example of from the twin cities is both pointless and incorrect, because of that statement and your previous post, i really think the map you are using is skewed. There is no way in hell that the "north shore' of Superior is east of the Twin cities. AT best it is north-northeast. The 'east end of Duluth is north east of downtown and the 'west end' is south west of it.(not sure where miller hill mall comes into play..) if you foolow the big "N" on your map, that will point to north.

You may call it the norhtwest shore of Lake Superior, as should your thunder bay friends, if you wish.(none of the people in TB that I know call it that, they call it the north shore also)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hennepin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To bad the cop didn't die Jun 13 SandyMaciazka 2
News Ex-UMD administrator sues school over alleged r... Jun 11 Buford 1
News Black Lives Matter OUTRAGED Minneapolis Cop Wil... Apr '16 TOASTER 68
News No charges for 2 Minneapolis officers in fatal ... Mar '16 USA USA USA USA 10
News No Grand Jury for Jamar Clark's Police Shooting... Mar '16 Tellitlikeitis 26
News Rosenblum: Are drugs really the remedy for todd... Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 4
News Minneapolis set to decriminalize pot possession Feb '16 space ace 2
More from around the web