Girl Struck and Killed While Crossing...

Girl Struck and Killed While Crossing Highway in Chanhassan

There are 9 comments on the Patch.com story from May 31, 2012, titled Girl Struck and Killed While Crossing Highway in Chanhassan. In it, Patch.com reports that:

A 12-year-old girl was hit by a car Wednesday afternoon while crossing Hwy. 101 in Chanhassan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Lana Mortensen

Minnetonka, MN

#1 Jun 1, 2012
People drive so fast on that road! I have actually pulled over and let the person on my bumper go by instead of speeding myself to accommodate them. We moved here 4 years ago and soon noticed only out-of-staters were doing the speed limit. Why haven't we learned who was driving the car? They keep mentioning the "black Suv" , like it was driving itself!
The Voice

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jun 3, 2012
Lana Mortensen wrote:
People drive so fast on that road! I have actually pulled over and let the person on my bumper go by instead of speeding myself to accommodate them. We moved here 4 years ago and soon noticed only out-of-staters were doing the speed limit. Why haven't we learned who was driving the car? They keep mentioning the "black Suv" , like it was driving itself!
This case was horrible. But the driver had no fault. The child crossed in a non-regulated section. Unfortunately another driver who was trying to be nice, waiver her across. The driver was in another lane and could not see the child.(probably wondered why the car in the other lane was stopped).

The one who waved the child across needs to learn. Make people follow the rules. I won't call anyone criminal, but by doing that, they caused this accident. Unless you're gonna block the whole road, don't waive someone across in a non crossing zone.
Ilistentoo

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jun 5, 2012
Where are you getting this information? The northbound driver who was stopped did NOT wave the child across the road. I know this person and that is an absolutely false statement. The driver that was stopped was trying to ascertain which road the child was attempting to cross--101 or Sandy Hook. The driver that hit the child was coming from the north and was not obstructed in anyway by the driver who was stopped. Check your facts before you post comments placing blame on a witness to this tragedy.
Ilistentoo

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 5, 2012
Furthermore..."The Voice" states that the child was crossing at a non-regulated section. Anyone who drives this road knows that there are no lights, stop signs, crosswalks or any other regulations to control traffic between Dell Rd. at 62 from the north all the way down to 78th Street in Chanhassen.
The Voice

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 5, 2012
Ilistentoo wrote:
Furthermore..."The Voice" states that the child was crossing at a non-regulated section. Anyone who drives this road knows that there are no lights, stop signs, crosswalks or any other regulations to control traffic between Dell Rd. at 62 from the north all the way down to 78th Street in Chanhassen.
Therefore.. it is Non-regulated.. as I said. And as such, the pedestrian should not be waved across.

Where are YOU getting your information? I am getting it from the school district.
Ilistentoo

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 6, 2012
The Voice wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore.. it is Non-regulated.. as I said. And as such, the pedestrian should not be waved across.
Where are YOU getting your information? I am getting it from the school district.
My source is the actual witness. The school district was not there. The driver of the northbound car did NOT wave the child across. The school district need to stop that rumor. This was a horrible tragedy. I wonder how you can say that the driver of the car was not responsible and a witness was. The drivers of both vehicles were coming from opposite directions and both should have seen the child. Unfortunately, one did not and the result was fatal.
The Voice

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jun 6, 2012
Ilistentoo wrote:
<quoted text>
My source is the actual witness. The school district was not there. The driver of the northbound car did NOT wave the child across. The school district need to stop that rumor. This was a horrible tragedy. I wonder how you can say that the driver of the car was not responsible and a witness was. The drivers of both vehicles were coming from opposite directions and both should have seen the child. Unfortunately, one did not and the result was fatal.
I did NOT say they were at fault. You need to "listen" (or in this case read).

I said they need to learn. There was no fault. It was a terrible accident. My point is that a different action would have stopped it. An action like continuing and not yielding where there is no regulated yield.
We've heard different things from different people. Your source is closer to the scene, but most who make a mistake don't tell all that happened.(such as George Zimmerman).
Ilistentoo

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jun 6, 2012
The semantics of your comment that the driver was not at fault and the other driver needs to learn implied (in my opinion) that you were assigning responsibility and/or blame to the witness. Apologies if that was not your intention. We all take responsibility for our automobiles when we get behind the wheel. You seem to be insistent that the witness made a mistake. Do you understand that that driver was turning left and, by law and common sense, was obliged to stop and yield to oncoming traffic? In this case, the driver that hit the child was, in fact part of that oncoming traffic. The bottom line is that a horrible accident occurred and all the Monday morning quarterbacking in the world will not bring back the little girl who lost her life. There are many broken lives in the wake of this accident. Hopefully, we will all take pause, slow down, pay closer attention and minimize distractions. Be safe out there.
concerned

Brandon, FL

#9 Jun 13, 2012
Please people...... right now it does not matter..... except that someone takes action to get this area fixed. Please try to be sensitive to the family that lost this Angel...... there is no amount of arguing, finger pointing, etc that will bring this little girl back..... now a community has to ban together to get changes made!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hennepin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To bad the cop didn't die Jun '16 SandyMaciazka 2
News Ex-UMD administrator sues school over alleged r... Jun '16 Buford 1
News Black Lives Matter OUTRAGED Minneapolis Cop Wil... Apr '16 TOASTER 68
News No charges for 2 Minneapolis officers in fatal ... Mar '16 USA USA USA USA 10
News No Grand Jury for Jamar Clark's Police Shooting... Mar '16 Tellitlikeitis 26
News Rosenblum: Are drugs really the remedy for todd... (Feb '16) Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 4
News Minneapolis set to decriminalize pot possession (Feb '16) Feb '16 space ace 2
More from around the web