Some Kentucky voters reluctant to vot...

Some Kentucky voters reluctant to vote for black candidate

There are 154 comments on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch story from May 20, 2008, titled Some Kentucky voters reluctant to vote for black candidate. In it, St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that:

MUNFORDVILLE, Ky. - Mike Rife is white, a semiretired factory worker with a high school education and a two-foot square sign on his lawn that makes friends and neighbors flip him the finger as they drive by.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
VOTE 4 THE BEST

Waco, TX

#1 Jun 6, 2008
It shouldn't be a racial issue. YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL!
willie joe

Cave City, KY

#2 Jun 7, 2008
race has nothing to do with inexperience and a pee-poor political resume, in other words...words are all he brings to the table.
banjo bob

Glasgow, KY

#3 Jun 7, 2008
willie joe wrote:
race has nothing to do with inexperience and a pee-poor political resume, in other words...words are all he brings to the table.
well said but his fawning followers and the swooning press would go orgasmic if all he did was read karl marx aloud. it doesn't matter what he says[or doesnt say as evidenced by his bombastic nothingness] to the press and liberals he should be annointed emperor of america immediately.
DonMel

Glasgow, KY

#4 Jun 7, 2008
It isn't ONLY Ky. but many people are reluctant to vote simply because of who he is and the religion he represents in which I personally do not believe has anything at all to do with skin color.
But I tell ya UNLESS America repents as a nation, and reestablishes itself as a God fearing nation,
America WILL fall., it isn't a question of if., The question is When?
So wheter it be Obama, or Clinton, or Bush, or whoever.,
If just 1 person would stand up and say I don't have all the answers but I will seek the Lord Jesus Christ and what God wants.
Then that individual would definitely have my vote. Skin color is NOT the problem.
Military Mom

United States

#5 Jun 7, 2008
Whats the matter KY? You can't see past the end of your own noses? I know change is a hard one to make, but lets go for it. Can't you feel it in the air? This is a make or break it election. Obama wouldn't be the candidate if folks didn't want him. Wake up and smell the coffee. Obama is a human being first that cries and laughs just like you. Then he is a man because that's what he was born with. The color of his skin is only on the surface. Get over yourselves and put on a new face.

“losers nit pick on topix”

Since: Jul 07

Earth

#6 Jun 7, 2008
the "white house" says it all.
Saigon in Ky

New Albany, OH

#7 Jun 10, 2008
Military Mom wrote:
Whats the matter KY? You can't see past the end of your own noses? I know change is a hard one to make, but lets go for it. Can't you feel it in the air? This is a make or break it election. Obama wouldn't be the candidate if folks didn't want him. Wake up and smell the coffee. Obama is a human being first that cries and laughs just like you. Then he is a man because that's what he was born with. The color of his skin is only on the surface. Get over yourselves and put on a new face.
Change, Im sick of hearing that crap. Change enables mothers murder their own unborn babies. Change gave approval so men can marry their own gender. Change allowed Nafta to creep in. Change WILL cause most people to follow the broad road to destuction of The United States of America.
American Defender

United States

#8 Jun 11, 2008
Military Mom wrote:
Whats the matter KY? You can't see past the end of your own noses? I know change is a hard one to make, but lets go for it. Can't you feel it in the air? This is a make or break it election. Obama wouldn't be the candidate if folks didn't want him. Wake up and smell the coffee. Obama is a human being first that cries and laughs just like you. Then he is a man because that's what he was born with. The color of his skin is only on the surface. Get over yourselves and put on a new face.
Sounds like you have a little white guilt. With all that's been shown about Obama and you still back him, then you are a poor judge of character and just a meer follower.
johnnie

Glasgow, KY

#9 Aug 25, 2008
there is alot of two face people in the world act like there your freind as soon as your back turned say all kinds of bad thangs so people vote for who ever times are changing why not help the chang vote obama everbody has the right to vote for who ever
donkeyman

Midland, OR

#10 Aug 25, 2008
i was going to vote for obama until he picked a white man for v.p. now if i were to vote for him i would feel like a racist for voting for a white male.maybe ill write in farakan.
Morbid

Glasgow, KY

#12 Aug 30, 2008
I really wish I could say that racism isn't playing its part in this election, but I encounter too much of it on a daily basis.

"If he gets it, we'll be the slaves..."

I overhear comments like that on a daily basis. There are a lot of stupid people that aren't voting for him based on his race. With that said, not everyone in Kentucky is like that. There are plenty of people not voting for him because they don't like where he stands on the issues.

Still, race is definitely playing a part in this election. Whites not voting for him because he's black, and Blacks voting for him because he is... it will only become more apparent the closer we get to election day.
GOP

Horse Cave, KY

#13 Aug 30, 2008
Obama is not the man for the job, and he is not the candidate for change. He is just another left wing tax and spend liberal. He is for bigger government, he is just another Washington bureaucrat. We need to vote aginst him not because of the color of his skin, but for what he stands for. He is anti gun and does not believe the second amendment is an individual right. He wants to tax us so he will have more monay to pay for all his government programs, and entitlements. Is this change? I think not. His polices have contributed to the murder of millions of un-born ever year. So as you can see it is not the color of his skin that will get him beat in nov, but it is his beliefs and liberal values.
Wrong

Glasgow, KY

#14 Sep 4, 2008
I would vote for a black man, but not a ni*er
white rights

Glasgow, KY

#16 Sep 26, 2008
whites have to bow to the blacks now .they are just as rasict look at the naacp they should be called the black klu klux klan how many white folks do they help they march in the streets if the whites marh they are racist
Jennifer

Baldwin City, KS

#17 Sep 27, 2008
white rights wrote:
whites have to bow to the blacks now .they are just as rasict look at the naacp they should be called the black klu klux klan how many white folks do they help they march in the streets if the whites marh they are racist
The NAACP is horrible. I agree that they do some really stupid stuff. The NAACP actually makes a lot of minorities file suits. Sometimes the NAACP actually files suits on behalf of someone or groups of people without their permission. Affirmative action and someone getting extra points when entering college for being a minority is bullsh*t. Everyone has had equal rights for a few decades now..it's time to get rid of all of the policies in place to ensure that minorities get treated fairly. It's pretty easy for someone to file a complaint and get someone fired for discrimination. We don't need all of the other policies.
Mac-7

Dallas, TX

#18 Sep 27, 2008
This is the Obamaton journalists way of playing the race card.

They are trying to browbeat whites into voting for Obama just because he is black.
Jennifer

Baldwin City, KS

#19 Sep 28, 2008
Mac-7 wrote:
This is the Obamaton journalists way of playing the race card.
They are trying to browbeat whites into voting for Obama just because he is black.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm voting for Obama because I don't want to see Palin in the white house. I'm a Hillary supporter and Palin is NOT even close to Hillary lol.
Mac-7

Dallas, TX

#20 Sep 28, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you talking about? I'm voting for Obama because I don't want to see Palin in the white house. I'm a Hillary supporter and Palin is NOT even close to Hillary lol.
What are you talking about?

I directed my comment at the liberal journalists who keep posting stories about whites who are voting for McCain being racists.

It the biased liberal news media playing the race card for Obama.
Mac-7

Dallas, TX

#21 Sep 28, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you talking about? I'm voting for Obama because I don't want to see Palin in the white house. I'm a Hillary supporter and Palin is NOT even close to Hillary lol.
BTW: For consrvatives Palin is head and shoulders above Hillary on the issues.

Sarah Palin was chosen for her conservative credentials not to attract disaffected Hillary voters who, as you say, have little in common with her.
Mr B

Coldwater, MI

#22 Sep 28, 2008
Polls show nearly all blacks are voting for Obama. What are the "unbias odds" of that? Isn't that racism? Isn't that helping Obama? You are free tovote however you want and for what ever reason you want but please, stop calling the kettle black and quit whining.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hart County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
married man (Feb '10) Oct '16 Jessy 2
looking for a bi-man how will not tell (Jan '12) Oct '16 Jessy 2
Uno Music Thread (May '16) Oct '16 Musikologist 2
Late night talks Aug '16 Big A 1
Body found in green river Jul '16 Kry 5
Crystal moulton (May '11) Jul '16 Need to know 2
Atterberry garage Jun '16 Mad as hell 1
More from around the web