harlan ARH strike!
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Harlan ARH Worker

Happy, KY

#1 Mar 25, 2007
What does everybody think about the hospital going on strike? I am scared to death, but yet I'm not going to sit here and let them run over me.
arh worker

United States

#2 Mar 25, 2007
I personally can't afford to go on strike, but i will not let them run us over and try to stick us current employees and future employess with this horrible contract! So i will be on the picket line come April 1st.....
BRING IT

Happy, KY

#3 Mar 26, 2007
I seriously dreed the whole situation, but like you and many others. I'll not be a SCAB for it!!!
arh worker

Happy, KY

#4 Mar 26, 2007
Harlan ARH Worker wrote:
What does everybody think about the hospital going on strike? I am scared to death, but yet I'm not going to sit here and let them run over me.
Perhaps we all need to look at other unions and see the changes that they have had to make. We have to keep our company going-- if the company goes under then we won't have jobs period!!!!!!!!!!
Worried Worker

United States

#5 Mar 26, 2007
What does people think. It is very wrong and selfish for arh to offer what they have been offering and I would not want to be them. They have no heart. But, what will the workers accomplish if they strike? Probably less than what is being given and alot of people loosing everything they have worked so hard to gain. So unfair and I wish the ones who are sitting there putting this on the table and proposing this had to be in the same situation and see how they would be changing their minds with a much better proposal. The patients deserve much better and they say they are here to serve patients well would they want their family to be taken care of by someone who has no clue how to work the machines and do the things necessary to give the proper care to the patients. I was told once that alot of the workers had forgotten about the patients and I sincerely disagree it is corporate that has forgotten the patients and their care. I know it takes money to run a compnay and I understand that but there is ways to cut down on expenses than hurting the employees who actually keep the company in the money that they have to begin with. The care and word of mouth to the public brings in the business!!!
long time ARH worker

United States

#6 Mar 26, 2007
Worried Worker wrote:
What does people think. It is very wrong and selfish for arh to offer what they have been offering and I would not want to be them. They have no heart. But, what will the workers accomplish if they strike? Probably less than what is being given and alot of people loosing everything they have worked so hard to gain. So unfair and I wish the ones who are sitting there putting this on the table and proposing this had to be in the same situation and see how they would be changing their minds with a much better proposal. The patients deserve much better and they say they are here to serve patients well would they want their family to be taken care of by someone who has no clue how to work the machines and do the things necessary to give the proper care to the patients. I was told once that alot of the workers had forgotten about the patients and I sincerely disagree it is corporate that has forgotten the patients and their care. I know it takes money to run a compnay and I understand that but there is ways to cut down on expenses than hurting the employees who actually keep the company in the money that they have to begin with. The care and word of mouth to the public brings in the business!!!
Those of us who went through the last strike know that we lost 4 months pay and around 70 union jobs to finally vote in the same contract we went on strike for. What a waste! Companies everywhere are cutting back. Nobody likes it, but ask yourself, Can I get a better deal? The answer is no. Nobody comes out on top in a strike.

JLF

“KY Ridge Runner”

Since: Mar 07

Harlan

#7 Mar 28, 2007
I feel for your cause, almost sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind. I know that in my life, Ive had to make several moves just to get a raise in my field and guess what, Im still about 10k under paid and one paycheck away from being laid off.lol Dont worry be happy. :)
A concerned one

Somerset, KY

#8 Mar 28, 2007
I was wondering when the last strike was and how long it lasted? If any one knows, write back.
Thanks.
arh worker

United States

#9 Mar 28, 2007
The last one was in 1986 and i've heard two different time lengths, 3 and 8 months. They set a few of the tents up today in front of the hospital.
Steelworker Supporter

Louisville, KY

#10 Mar 28, 2007
long time ARH worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Those of us who went through the last strike know that we lost 4 months pay and around 70 union jobs to finally vote in the same contract we went on strike for. What a waste! Companies everywhere are cutting back. Nobody likes it, but ask yourself, Can I get a better deal? The answer is no. Nobody comes out on top in a strike.
It sounds like to me that "long time ARH worker" was a scab the first time around....or plans to be this time. It is people like that who don't deserve a fair contract.
long time ARH worker

United States

#11 Mar 28, 2007
Steelworker Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like to me that "long time ARH worker" was a scab the first time around....or plans to be this time. It is people like that who don't deserve a fair contract.
Neither, however as I said, the "fair" contract we got last time around was the same one we turned down twice. All I can say is do not let anyone vote for you. Demand to see the proposal. Don't listen to anyone but your own conscience. Then if you vote no, its legit.
ky lady

United States

#12 Mar 28, 2007
i have never been through a strike, but my husband did in 1984 for the miners. They lost alot of things. This is now my livelyhood for my family. I think hospital workers deserve 100% for the job that they do and all the illnesses they come in contact with. Yes, alot of us may not be able to afford to strike. But if we don't we won't have any reason to work because you will be paying everything back to the hospital.
KENTUCKY DREAMER

Tremont, PA

#13 Mar 29, 2007
I PRESENTLY WORK FOR AN ARH HOSPITAL, AND HAVE BEEN IN THE HEALTHCARE FIELD FOR APPX 30 YEARS. AT THE ARH I WORK AT WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING IN BLACK AND WHITE AS TO WHAT WE WOULD BE STRIKING FOR, NO ONE FROM THE UNION HAS MADE ANY ATTEMPT TO TALK TO US THE PEOPLE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE REPRESENTING, I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF RUMOR AND TRASH TALK, BUT NOTHING VALID TO HELP ME MAKE A DESCESION ON WETHER TO WALK THE PICKET LINE OR TAKE CARE OF THE PATIENTS THAT ARE THE MAIN REASON WE EXIST, WE HAVE HEARD THAT WE THE WORKERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VOTE WETHER TO STRIKE OR NOT THAT POWER HAS BEEN GIVEN TO THE UNION PRESIDENTS AT EACH ARH HOSPITAL OR SO WE HAVE BEEN TOLD! TRUTH OR FICTION?????? BECAUSE IF I DONT VOTE I DONT STRIKE BECAUSE HOW CAN WE BE SURE THAT OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD, OUR CONCERNS WILL BE HEARD, WE ALL NEED MORE STAFF TO TAKE CARE OF OUR PATIENTS AND GIVE THEM GOOD QUALITY CARE NOT HERES YOUR MEDS AND I WILL BE BACK AND WE MAY NOT SEE THAT PT AGAIN THE REST OF OUR SHIFT DUE TO STAFF SHORTAGES.
IF WE HAVE AN EMERGENCY OUR WHOLE PATIENT LOAD MIGHT NOT SEE US DUE TO US TAKING CARE OF THE ONE PATIENT.
I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING AGAINST THE KNA, THE FOLLOWING IS TO THE MAIN PEOPLE WHO MAKE DESCESIONS FOR ARH.........

THE MAIN PEOPLE WHO MAKE DESCESION'S
ARE THE ONES WHO TOOK THE NURSES WORK 36HOURS AND GET PAID FOR 40, AND ARE NOW PAYING THE MONEY IT WOULD HAVE COST TO GO ON AND PAY IT TO START WITH. THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE DESCESIONS APPEAR TO BE TRYING TO MAKE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF $ THROUGHOUT THE CHAIN PAY THE PRICE SO THE COMPANY CAN RECOUP WHAT THEY LOST TO SETTLE WITH THE NURSES. THERE IS ALOT MORE TO THIS STORY THAN WHAT WE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE LOSING THE MOST KNOW OR ARE BEING TOLD SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE CALL A TIME OUT OR EXTENSTION TO ACTUALLY TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON. ANY SUGGESTIONS??????????
Swarhclerk

United States

#14 Mar 29, 2007
Why give a extension, when ARH has made it evident that there is no chance of even maintaining the current contact we now have. Why in GODS name would any of us want to move backwards. Im not sure if you guys got a letter from Jerry Haynes but the one we in South Williamson got concerning what was on the table is no where near what we currently have. I know I dont want to strike but we CAN NOT move backwards!!!! I know we are all scared as all of you must be, but my mother was in the 86 strike it lasted for 3 months. We ate alot of beans and cornbread, but we made it. This union will too. WE have got to stand together and tough this one out. It will not be easy, but from the words in black and white that I have seen, from Jerry Haynes himself is enough to put me on the picket line. Honestly can any of you afford the major changes in your healthcare, disability and retirement. Also another major issue is the new hire issue, how can we get future coworkers that stay any length of time when they stay at a base rate for SEVEN YEARS. WALMART's payscale moves quicker then that. ARH has had plenty of time to offer a decent contract and I think that if they would say right now we will keep current contract there would be NO Strike. We as union brothers and sisters can not afford to strike , NO ONE CAN, but the ones before us has paid this same price for the benefits we now have. We have no choice to remain strong and demand current or better benefits. How can wanting to retain what you have now be wrong? I keep hearing about economy effects on the company, but did you all not pay nearly 4.00 a gallon for gas to get to work this past year? Have we the workers not suffered from increasing economically costs? Please remember we fight for each other and the rights of the members before us and after us!
SICK IN BECKLEY

United States

#15 Mar 30, 2007
What upsets me the most is how hypocritical ARH is being. 2 years ago they fired a worker because she could not pass her regestry yet she has continued her affair with the new boss man and guess who is going to cross the picket line to cover a professional job. You got it. The one arh fired 2 years ago. ARH does not care about true healthcare or they wouldnt be hiring her back.
New Hire in Harlan-Ky

Macon, GA

#16 Mar 30, 2007
Swarhclerk wrote:
Why give a extension, when ARH has made it evident that there is no chance of even maintaining the current contact we now have. Why in GODS name would any of us want to move backwards. Im not sure if you guys got a letter from Jerry Haynes but the one we in South Williamson got concerning what was on the table is no where near what we currently have. I know I dont want to strike but we CAN NOT move backwards!!!! I know we are all scared as all of you must be, but my mother was in the 86 strike it lasted for 3 months. We ate alot of beans and cornbread, but we made it. This union will too. WE have got to stand together and tough this one out. It will not be easy, but from the words in black and white that I have seen, from Jerry Haynes himself is enough to put me on the picket line. Honestly can any of you afford the major changes in your healthcare, disability and retirement. Also another major issue is the new hire issue, how can we get future coworkers that stay any length of time when they stay at a base rate for SEVEN YEARS. WALMART's payscale moves quicker then that. ARH has had plenty of time to offer a decent contract and I think that if they would say right now we will keep current contract there would be NO Strike. We as union brothers and sisters can not afford to strike , NO ONE CAN, but the ones before us has paid this same price for the benefits we now have. We have no choice to remain strong and demand current or better benefits. How can wanting to retain what you have now be wrong? I keep hearing about economy effects on the company, but did you all not pay nearly 4.00 a gallon for gas to get to work this past year? Have we the workers not suffered from increasing economically costs? Please remember we fight for each other and the rights of the members before us and after us!
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am so glad to see that there are people who get what it is all about. Although I was hired by ARH, about one month ago. I still haven't started work because of negotiations with the new contract. I have tried for many years for this job. It is the best paying job I could get here. Now they want to take it all away. I hope everyone really thinks about what would happen if they don't fight for what we all deserve. Again Thank You. From New Hire in Harlan
arh worker

United States

#17 Mar 30, 2007
someone on the playhouse just said that they just heard that they was granted a 2 day extention. i want this contract to work but if we are going to get this same crap even after 2 days extention than i don't want this. i don't really want to work without a contract.
Eagle Eye in Beckley

Montgomery, TX

#18 Mar 31, 2007
arh worker wrote:
someone on the playhouse just said that they just heard that they was granted a 2 day extention. i want this contract to work but if we are going to get this same crap even after 2 days extention than i don't want this. i don't really want to work without a contract.
The picket has started heavily in Beckley, therefore I would suppose that your playhouse playmate is misinformed. We should all be thankful that we have jobs that pay decent salaries and have AFFORDABLE health insurance for our families; who gives a damn if we have to pay an extra 20 or 30 bucks to ensure our families are insured, what will that equal $50 or $60 dollars per month? Honestly tell me where I can go and get a job that pays $12 an hour when I don't have a degree or professional license behind my name. We all have to stick together, but be real, look at your competition and check out what they offer for employment. This needs settled so we can all return to our posts and take care of the patients we just walked out on. Good luck to everyone and God Bless.
mother of arh worker

United States

#19 Mar 31, 2007
i dont know how you all walking the line could even say things like this. if you want good things in life, then you'll do whatever it takes to get those. i'm taking care of my mother until she gets through this. you all have not one person to help you out? this is no game. my mother is out there standing her ground,-& i am behind her the whole way. if she looses her house, shes got me to count on. i wouldnt have it any other way. shes always tought me to take up for myself, she should do that same.

those who are letting arh walk over you, doesnt even deserve a job period. you shouldnt get any kind of better things, nor will they give it to you if they see your a kid about it.

i hope all stand up for yourself. if you push it hard and long enough, you will get what you want. i know, because i know more people.

step on their toes, like they are yours.
newbieHARHnurse2

Macon, GA

#22 Apr 1, 2007
New Hire in Harlan-Ky wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am so glad to see that there are people who get what it is all about. Although I was hired by ARH, about one month ago. I still haven't started work because of negotiations with the new contract. I have tried for many years for this job. It is the best paying job I could get here. Now they want to take it all away. I hope everyone really thinks about what would happen if they don't fight for what we all deserve. Again Thank You. From New Hire in Harlan
I know what you mean. I too was just hired a month ago. I finally recieved my first paycheck, but not we are striking. I support the union all the way, but no one has told me really what to do and since I am only in orientation (I was told probationary period) then I don't know what to do...get another job or walk the line?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chinese restaurant May 18 Turbo 4
Mikey Smallwood May 18 Turbo 1
Transgender rest rooms in Harlan CO May 13 Ages ky 2
Sexual abusers the neff man😡 May 12 Tennessee 1
black mountain riding May 11 #greatidea 1
News Lawsuit: Harlan hospital pharmacy illegally dis... May 8 Just sayin 12
Pine Mountain Music Thread May 6 Musikologist 1
More from around the web