Hardy Co. infant killed by family pit...

Hardy Co. infant killed by family pit bull

There are 24 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Aug 19, 2009, titled Hardy Co. infant killed by family pit bull. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

RIO, W.Va. -- A 3-day-old boy has died after being attacked by his family's pit bull in the Hardy County community of Rio, about 20 miles west of Moorefield.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Sep 10, 2009
I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any opinion on this issue.
Mugabe

Brook, IN

#3 Sep 10, 2009
Anyone STUPID enough to have a pit bull in the house with a kid shouldn't be passing their DNA along anyway.

It's called Natural Selection my friends.
krystal

Royal Oak, MI

#4 Apr 11, 2010
Thats just plain and simple ignorant bs. I own 3 pitbulls and have 3 children, ages 6, 5, and 2 and never once have my dogs growled at let alone biten one of my children. My dogs are show dogs and have several ribbons, and i if you were educated you would know that American Staffordshire terriers (pit bulls) are also used for therapy dogs of all sorts. Its the dumbasses that keep these dogs on chains and use them for guard dogs that make such a bad name for the breed. My dogs bloodlines date back to the 1800's and their puppys sell for 3k. People that spend that much on a dog dont fight them or make them mean. But think about all the trailer trash in wv that buy puppys from people who fight their dogs, they pay like $100 and expect their dog to come from high standards. Lets get real.
Tex

Radford, VA

#5 Apr 11, 2010
Oh Krystal my dear how you are so naive. If indeed you bloodline dated to that year you would be the world record holder dear'o. Also, if indeed what you say is true than your bloodline would definitely have fighting in them as the breed was bred just for that in the 1800's and even after bull baiting was banned in 1835, they were still used for that purpose HIGHLY until 1898. Know your facts you dolt. Pit's are very aggressive in nature and highly unpredictable, for that reason people with small children should NOT own these dogs.

Your friendly Dog Trainer,
Tex
JUST LISTENING

Radford, VA

#6 Apr 11, 2010
Tex is right so right will you train my dog please you are so wise and knowing
honestly

Athens, WV

#7 Apr 23, 2010
So people but not every one is smart as you and careful as you! people should purchase a license to own any type of dog like that.

Sorry but bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.

And we should also take classes to prepare us for the dogs history and reputation and what they can do to us and our children.

If this saves one child I won't bitch a word if I have to be educated in owning the dogs.
honestly

Athens, WV

#8 Apr 23, 2010
krystal wrote:
Thats just plain and simple ignorant bs. I own 3 pitbulls and have 3 children, ages 6, 5, and 2 and never once have my dogs growled at let alone biten one of my children. My dogs are show dogs and have several ribbons, and i if you were educated you would know that American Staffordshire terriers (pit bulls) are also used for therapy dogs of all sorts. Its the dumbasses that keep these dogs on chains and use them for guard dogs that make such a bad name for the breed. My dogs bloodlines date back to the 1800's and their puppys sell for 3k. People that spend that much on a dog dont fight them or make them mean. But think about all the trailer trash in wv that buy puppys from people who fight their dogs, they pay like $100 and expect their dog to come from high standards. Lets get real.
So lets get this straight. Being cocky and confident can place your children at risk.
You need to remove those animals from your home and place them in a kennel.
My children come first and I would NEVER have any dog of that nature in my home making my children fair game.
10 seconds ......could you make it in time to pull your child to safety??? ask yourself and place your self in the worst possible scenio. Woman I don't care how many ribbons those dogs have you better put your children first.
honestly

Athens, WV

#9 Apr 23, 2010
honestly wrote:
So people but not every one is smart as you and careful as you! people should purchase a license to own any type of dog like that.
Sorry but bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.
And we should also take classes to prepare us for the dogs history and reputation and what they can do to us and our children.
If this saves one child I won't bitch a word if I have to be educated in owning the dogs.
This was to krystal
Tired

Buffalo, WV

#10 Sep 29, 2010
whos dog killed their baby i missed it?
Just someone

Augusta, WV

#11 Jun 20, 2011
Insiders fact here, for starters-the parents if the baby gave her dogs dolls as toy, and when this occurred the mom left the baby on the bed while she was busy on the phone.
The dog obviously did sOmething wrong, but it's because if it's owners carelessness, and idioticness.
I have rescued many dogs in my life, some being pit bulls, and any dog is capable of harming another being. It's all about how you train them and raise them.
People shouldn't be so quick to assume one thing about every type of dog, it's called discrimination. And we as people, don't believe in using it to charicterise others, so we should do it with other things.
rescuer

Augusta, WV

#12 Jun 21, 2011
Just someone wrote:
Insiders fact here, for starters-the parents if the baby gave her dogs dolls as toy, and when this occurred the mom left the baby on the bed while she was busy on the phone.
The dog obviously did sOmething wrong, but it's because if it's owners carelessness, and idioticness.
I have rescued many dogs in my life, some being pit bulls, and any dog is capable of harming another being. It's all about how you train them and raise them.
People shouldn't be so quick to assume one thing about every type of dog, it's called discrimination. And we as people, don't believe in using it to charicterise others, so we should do it with other things.
i also rescue many dogs..and i have seen nice pits and mean ones but have also seen nice dogs of all breeds and just as many mean ones. i myself have a mixed pit in whom i rescued when he was 5wks old as well as 3 other dogs. i am more concerned with my black and tan hound being a threat than what i am of my baby boy. but he also knows if he bites once, he goes to sleep i won't give him a chance to do it again and that goes for any of the 4 of my dogs. if my dogs bite protecting me..that is one thing, but if they bite to bite that is another issue and they don't get baby dolls to play with and are introduced to new people especially children slowly. when introduced to my new born we bought a baby doll, and he was trained not to bother it and knows he's not allowed around him unless we are there. he doesn't but i also don't leave him and the baby alone. that is asking for trouble from any dog. not just pitbulls they don't know if the owners don't teach them just like kids.
toxi

Romney, WV

#13 Jun 29, 2011
FACT:Most dog attacks maulings and fatal attacks in the US are commited by mixed breed mutts, not Pit Bulls. Now for factual history of pit bulls, not what you want to believe.

Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dog”. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults.
The Nanny Dog is now vilified by a media that always wants a demon dog breed to frighten people and LHASA-APSO BITES MAN just doesn’t sell papers. Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter.
In temperance tests (the equivalent of how many times your kid can poke your dog in the eye before it bites him) of all breeds the most tolerant was the Golden Retriever. The second most tolerant was the pit bull.
Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock, they do not have the most powerful bite among dogs (Rottweilers have that honor) they are not naturally human aggressive (in fact pit bull puppies prefer human company to their mother’s two weeks before all other dogs), and they feel as much pain as any other breed (accidentally step on one’s toe and you’ll see).
The most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now embarrassingly portrayed as the most dangerous. It would be funny if the new reputation did not mean 6,000 are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed euthanized.EDU CATE YOURSELF BEYOND WHAT YOU THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW!
Stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#14 Oct 10, 2011
You people are idiots. These disgusting monkeys who owned them used those poor animals for fighting. They rough them up and abuse them until they are tough so they can bring them to fight other dogs to the death. These people should have never even owned animals let alone have a baby! And to have them near their child, well they are just idiots for doing that. These people shouldn't be allowed to have pit bulls because we all know what they are using them for. I am 24 years old and I grew up with a pit bull. My mom thankfully rescued him from Willimantic, CT. when he was a puppy. We treated him with love and respect and what do you think we got back? LOVE AND RESPECT. That dog was the best dog I've ever had in my life. My entire family thinks the same way. He would have dodged a bullet for us, he was the most loyal and sweet animal...What do you think would have happened to him if he stayed with those people in Willimantic? He would have been sold as a fighting dog and my poor JP would have ended up like that poor dog who I'm sure got shot. This world is so messed up ...if it weren't for those idiots fighting dogs that never would have happened! Don't you understand that? When a dog is raised for the sole purpose of fighting and treated so horribly, how do you think they are going to act towards humans? That baby was just another target for them that they were TRAINED to kill. These people TRAINED THEIR DOG TO KILL THEIR BABY!
In the Know

Basye, VA

#15 Oct 10, 2011
Maybe you shouldn't speak of something you know nothing about.....the dog was a family pet...was not trained for any kind of dog fighting or killing. Just a run of the mill family pet that had been loved and taken care of. Just because YOUR dog never turned on you does not mean that it can't happen to others. Have some respect for someone that has suffered such a terrible tragedy would you!!
Stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#16 Oct 12, 2011
In the Know wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't speak of something you know nothing about.....the dog was a family pet...was not trained for any kind of dog fighting or killing. Just a run of the mill family pet that had been loved and taken care of. Just because YOUR dog never turned on you does not mean that it can't happen to others. Have some respect for someone that has suffered such a terrible tragedy would you!!
Yeah and how do you know it was a family pet??? How do you know they didn't just say that to save their asses? No loving family pet is going to turn on a infant like that, without some sort of history of abuse. These filthy pigs HURT these dogs and FORCE them to act this way! The inevitable was their own fault- I grew up with my dog from age 10+...If I was an infant, my mom wouldn't have a dog ALONE with me either! And that goes for ANY dog, doesn't have to be a pit bull!
Stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#17 Oct 12, 2011
Just someone wrote:
Insiders fact here, for starters-the parents if the baby gave her dogs dolls as toy, and when this occurred the mom left the baby on the bed while she was busy on the phone.
The dog obviously did sOmething wrong, but it's because if it's owners carelessness, and idioticness.
I have rescued many dogs in my life, some being pit bulls, and any dog is capable of harming another being. It's all about how you train them and raise them.
People shouldn't be so quick to assume one thing about every type of dog, it's called discrimination. And we as people, don't believe in using it to charicterise others, so we should do it with other things.
Thank you....that was really well said.
Stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#18 Oct 12, 2011
toxi wrote:
FACT:Most dog attacks maulings and fatal attacks in the US are commited by mixed breed mutts, not Pit Bulls. Now for factual history of pit bulls, not what you want to believe.
Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dog”. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults.
The Nanny Dog is now vilified by a media that always wants a demon dog breed to frighten people and LHASA-APSO BITES MAN just doesn’t sell papers. Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter.
In temperance tests (the equivalent of how many times your kid can poke your dog in the eye before it bites him) of all breeds the most tolerant was the Golden Retriever. The second most tolerant was the pit bull.
Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock, they do not have the most powerful bite among dogs (Rottweilers have that honor) they are not naturally human aggressive (in fact pit bull puppies prefer human company to their mother’s two weeks before all other dogs), and they feel as much pain as any other breed (accidentally step on one’s toe and you’ll see).
The most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now embarrassingly portrayed as the most dangerous. It would be funny if the new reputation did not mean 6,000 are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed euthanized.EDU CATE YOURSELF BEYOND WHAT YOU THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW!
How can somebody read this and not think twice about what they are saying? It is just appauling how this world works. Thank you though, this was really great to read and so very true.
someone you know

Augusta, WV

#19 Nov 6, 2011
people are you all trying to say dont own a dog. cuz pit bull is not the number 1 dag that will turn on yea a black lab is. so quit talking shit and just be happy it did not happen to you. to the family that lost there child i feel for yea god blass
pit bull lover

Cumberland, MD

#20 Nov 13, 2011
Look pit bulls are not the problem i have 2 pit bulls and they are in a house with a 2 and 4 and 3 week old baby and they have never tried to hurt them once they are big babies and to start its not the breed that is mean its the people who raise there dog to fight or get beat im sorry but ive raised pits my whole life and currently my male is a big pit and when a child gets near him he hits the floor and rolls over and my nephews lay on his belly all day long my pit are babies like i said before its not the breed that is bad its the one who raise them that way its all about how they are raised and the people who think other wise dont know the breed at all no matter how much research you have done you dont know the breed till you have owned and loved and pit thats why whenever i see post and comments like these i comment and why i tell everyone out there that pit bulls are not the problem we the humans are
Misty Terrace Momma

Old Fields, WV

#21 Dec 5, 2011
Pit Bulls are only "mean" if trained to be....or mistreated.

Any dog can attack and seriously hurt a child or adult....however, Pit Bulls are the ones that get the bad rap.

According to most insurance companies, the following are known as “Dangerous Breeds”:
•Pit Bulls
•Staffordshire Terriers
•Doberman Pinschers
•Rottweilers
•Chows
•Presa Canarios
•Akitas
•Alaskan Malamutes
•German Shepherds
•Siberian Huskies
•Wolf-hybrids
•Or a mix of any of the above

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardy County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hardy county wv (Jan '08) Mar '14 Little ole Me 4
sheetz moorefield man ran over by police (Feb '14) Feb '14 truth hurts 1
News Bald eagles being seen more in W.Va. (Jan '11) Nov '13 Eagles Beagles 6
News WV May Have Been Hit By Lightning (Apr '11) Jan '13 YO man 5
News Developer looks at W.Va. for training center (Jul '09) Jan '13 truthdotcom 8
News Patient flown to Ruby after logging truck colli... (Jun '08) Jan '13 truthdotcom 2
Warlocks mc (Sep '12) Sep '12 Big John Warlocks... 2
More from around the web