Whiteville settles lawsuit

Whiteville settles lawsuit

There are 149 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Aug 10, 2012, titled Whiteville settles lawsuit. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

The town of Whiteville and the Freedom From Religion Foundation have reached a settlement in a lawsuit filed by the foundation last year over religious symbols on public property.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#1 Aug 18, 2012
Alvin Harris, the Nashville, TN, attorney who represented the Freedom From Religion Foundation in Federal Court was on the Freethought Radio program today. If you missed it and are interested in some of the mediation process that occurred in the settlement along with their discussion, it will be available soon as a podcast from the website.

http://ffrf.org/news/radio/
lawman2

UK

#2 Aug 18, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Alvin Harris, the Nashville, TN, attorney who represented the Freedom From Religion Foundation in Federal Court was on the Freethought Radio program today. If you missed it and are interested in some of the mediation process that occurred in the settlement along with their discussion, it will be available soon as a podcast from the website.
http://ffrf.org/news/radio/
That is very nice to know. Did he give any explanation as to why the cross is still up there?

“Reason's Greetings!”

Pale Blue Dot

#3 Aug 19, 2012
lawman2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very nice to know. Did he give any explanation as to why the cross is still up there?
Not really, other than as part of the settlement the structure can remain as long as the missing arm is not restored.
Auntie Theist

United States

#4 Aug 19, 2012
MrDesoto1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really, other than as part of the settlement the structure can remain as long as the missing arm is not restored.
The lawsuit was against the installation of a Latin cross. The structure on the water tower is not a Latin cross so it can remain. It seems to be an icon worshiped by Pastafarians. I don't think FFRF will care about Whiteville being the first city in the nation to support Pastafarians.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Pale Blue Dot

#5 Aug 19, 2012
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
The lawsuit was against the installation of a Latin cross. The structure on the water tower is not a Latin cross so it can remain. It seems to be an icon worshiped by Pastafarians. I don't think FFRF will care about Whiteville being the first city in the nation to support Pastafarians.
RAmen!
John Tremblay 76

Germany

#7 Aug 19, 2012
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
No,No,No, Auntie and Mr Desoto the main complaint in the suit was take down the structure on the water tank.If you doubt go read it on FFRF webpage.

I am very dissapointed that FFRF caved to to that, in your face mayor, in Whiteville.

Cross is still up. You cant have stand alone crosses in front of city hall,but put a camel and christmas tree there and it will be ok.

I thought about canceling my membership but I have to consider the other victories for us but this was no victory.
Auntie Theist

United States

#8 Aug 20, 2012
The original lawsuit was against the latin cross. Once that was changed to a different icon the issue was moot. Probably, the complainant was happy to accept a Pastafarian icon in place of the cross. I agree about the stand alone situation, but that is the law - as long as other religions are given equal representation the Christian symbol of torture can stand. I expect that applications will be made by other religions such as the Pastafarians for equal representation in the event that a cross reappears.
white villian
#9 Aug 20, 2012
give it up
Poor Richard

Horn Lake, MS

#10 Aug 22, 2012
white villian wrote:
give it up
Seems liket the Mayor has given up or he'd replace the cross on the water tower.
Archie B

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Aug 22, 2012
Poor Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems liket the Mayor has given up or he'd replace the cross on the water tower.
No my friend look's like the cultist's from Freedom from religion gave up on getting it down.
Auntie Theist

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2012
Archie B wrote:
<quoted text>
No my friend look's like the cultist's from Freedom from religion gave up on getting it down.
Why would FFRF want to see it down? It is not a cross. If the mayor won the case he should reinstall a cross.
Jane O

Madison, MS

#13 Aug 24, 2012
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would FFRF want to see it down? It is not a cross. If the mayor won the case he should reinstall a cross.
You tell me why they filed suit demanding it be taken down then changed their mind and settled it.

I dont think either side won the case. I think they saw it was not winnable from either side so it is a draw.
Auntie Theist

United States

#14 Aug 25, 2012
Jane O wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell me why they filed suit demanding it be taken down then changed their mind and settled it.
I dont think either side won the case. I think they saw it was not winnable from either side so it is a draw.
I will tell you. The demand was for the removal of the latin cross. The latin cross has been removed. It is simple. There is no law against having a gallows on display so no more lawsuits.
perry mason

Lithuania

#15 Aug 25, 2012
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
I will tell you. The demand was for the removal of the latin cross. The latin cross has been removed. It is simple. There is no law against having a gallows on display so no more lawsuits.
i beg to differ with you. the lawsuit demanded that the cross on the water tower be removed. even though you call it a gallow's the FFRF felt as long as "it" remained up there and because of its history the town was continuing to endorse religion.

Why did they give up and not continue the lawsuit? most likely has to do with that legal issue of standing. their plaintiff did not live in whiteville and that would have been found if they had gone to the discovery process.

personally i think they jumped on this without giving it much forethought and after seeing the facts they ran.

i find it hard to believe that each time you see it you are not reminded that it was and always will be a cross.

if the train no longer uses the railroad tracks. they will still never be anything but rail road tracks until they are taken up or destroyed, but in the minds of those who remember they will always be railroad tracks.
Barnaby Jones

United States

#16 Aug 26, 2012
perry mason wrote:
<quoted text>i beg to differ with you. the lawsuit demanded that the cross on the water tower be removed. even though you call it a gallow's the FFRF felt as long as "it" remained up there and because of its history the town was continuing to endorse religion.

Why did they give up and not continue the lawsuit? most likely has to do with that legal issue of standing. their plaintiff did not live in whiteville and that would have been found if they had gone to the discovery process.

personally i think they jumped on this without giving it much forethought and after seeing the facts they ran.

i find it hard to believe that each time you see it you are not reminded that it was and always will be a cross.

if the train no longer uses the railroad tracks. they will still never be anything but rail road tracks until they are taken up or destroyed, but in the minds of those who remember they will always be railroad tracks.
You mean it wasn't our resident atheists that caused this fiasco? You mean an outsider that doesn't live in our city decided to stir up all this mess? So what did this person hope to gain by attacking a small town. This person is a coward. Brave enough to contact people who stand for their beliefs but to cowardly to stand for their own. I heard of people of faith standing and dying for their beliefs but this coward runs and hides. Apparently the person that started all this must know that this is going to bite them on the back side or cause some innocent atheist harm. Oh what a tangled web we weave.
Auntie Theist

United States

#17 Aug 26, 2012
perry mason wrote:
<quoted text>
i beg to differ with you. the lawsuit demanded that the cross on the water tower be removed. even though you call it a gallow's the FFRF felt as long as "it" remained up there and because of its history the town was continuing to endorse religion.
I wonder how you know what FFRF "felt?" Perhaps the plaintiff complained about a cross which is a Christian iconic symbol, but withdrew his/her complaint when the cross was destroyed and a different symbol stands. That would make sense to me. There is a very simple test to see who "won." Put the cross back so we don't have to imagine the train on the lines.
Barnaby Jones

United States

#18 Aug 26, 2012
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder how you know what FFRF "felt?" Perhaps the plaintiff complained about a cross which is a Christian iconic symbol, but withdrew his/her complaint when the cross was destroyed and a different symbol stands. That would make sense to me. There is a very simple test to see who "won." Put the cross back so we don't have to imagine the train on the lines.
This person doesn't live in a lot of places that have religious symbols on display. This person must have been convicted by having to look at it or angered because people were expressing their right of freedom of religion. I believe this person just wanted to be part of something greater than them self. I believe that he try's so hard to be a part of the atheist movement that they used a small town to enact his need to belong to the FFRF. This person is a coward. This person has no moral character and to me are gut less. Gave up the fight for what they believed in because they were going to get exposed.
JusticeforAll

Jackson, TN

#19 Aug 26, 2012
And whomever it was who complained some of us have a bone to pick as we, who are christian but also understand the rule of law and the constitution continue to suffer libel, slander, and violations of our civil rights as we do live in town. One neighbor who has picked fights with most of us on her street has been using this issue to falsely accuse us as part of her personal vendetta. The mayor has also lused it to go after us and a couple of other people who question some of his past actions as an elected official (nothing to do with a religious matter). What this has done is show that a few in this town are bigots and clearly not of the Christ that I believe in. On the other hand, most people are kind, it is just those in the special clique that tries to make this town their kingdom who do this. For this statement, I guarantee you there will be someone who "outs" us, calls my family crazy as well as me, and will insist that their delusions and personal hate be taken as truth. Although I had promised not to do this, I am going to write this anyway. In fact, Mrs. Auntie Theist, I have recently been accused of being you.
We don't care about the cross, didn't care when it first came up except that it was more of a humorous response from people who brag about something they do not incorporate into their own lives (a cross is just a symbol, belief involves following the tenets of Christ like the Beatitudes, etc) What angered me was this bully mentality that we had to "put up a cross to be accepted in Whiteville" by one of the alderpersons and someone coming by our home to tell us off for not having a cross. Just a bunch of bigoted, self-indulgent nosy bodies that continue this ridiculous thing stirred up by some coward living OUTSIDE of town. But, they have shown the bad side of the minority who runs this town yet they really don't speak for the good people here who are the silent majority.
Now, let's see what hate filled person who hacks into our computer and follows me on another site has to say. They have attacked me, my innocent husband, and even insult a baby daughter who died as a newborn in 1980 and never lived in this state. How "Christian" is that?
Auntie Theist

United States

#20 Aug 27, 2012
Barnaby Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
This person doesn't live in a lot of places that have religious symbols on display. This person must have been convicted by having to look at it or angered because people were expressing their right of freedom of religion. I believe this person just wanted to be part of something greater than them self. I believe that he try's so hard to be a part of the atheist movement that they used a small town to enact his need to belong to the FFRF. This person is a coward. This person has no moral character and to me are gut less. Gave up the fight for what they believed in because they were going to get exposed.
The people were not "expressing their right of freedom of religion," the Government was promoting religion - that's the rub! Do you think FFRF are now attacking a small town - they are about to file a lawsuit against Memphis City Council for praying during meetings. When will people learn that no one wants to prevent freedom of religion? No one wants to stop people from praying but the Constitution prevents the Government from promoting religion. I expect the "coward" was definitely afraid of what Christians may do if he/she was discovered. There is ample historical evidence to learn from.
Auntie Theist

United States

#21 Aug 27, 2012
JusticeforAll wrote:
And whomever it was who complained some of us have a bone to pick as we, who are christian but also understand the rule of law and the constitution continue to suffer libel, slander, and violations of our civil rights as we do live in town. One neighbor who has picked fights with most of us on her street has been using this issue to falsely accuse us as part of her personal vendetta. The mayor has also lused it to go after us and a couple of other people who question some of his past actions as an elected official (nothing to do with a religious matter). What this has done is show that a few in this town are bigots and clearly not of the Christ that I believe in. On the other hand, most people are kind, it is just those in the special clique that tries to make this town their kingdom who do this. For this statement, I guarantee you there will be someone who "outs" us, calls my family crazy as well as me, and will insist that their delusions and personal hate be taken as truth. Although I had promised not to do this, I am going to write this anyway. In fact, Mrs. Auntie Theist, I have recently been accused of being you.
We don't care about the cross, didn't care when it first came up except that it was more of a humorous response from people who brag about something they do not incorporate into their own lives (a cross is just a symbol, belief involves following the tenets of Christ like the Beatitudes, etc) What angered me was this bully mentality that we had to "put up a cross to be accepted in Whiteville" by one of the alderpersons and someone coming by our home to tell us off for not having a cross. Just a bunch of bigoted, self-indulgent nosy bodies that continue this ridiculous thing stirred up by some coward living OUTSIDE of town. But, they have shown the bad side of the minority who runs this town yet they really don't speak for the good people here who are the silent majority.
Now, let's see what hate filled person who hacks into our computer and follows me on another site has to say. They have attacked me, my innocent husband, and even insult a baby daughter who died as a newborn in 1980 and never lived in this state. How "Christian" is that?
You have my sympathy. I can guarantee that you are not I. Your experience confirms what I was thinking about the shameful situation of a person feeling afraid to speak up against the illegal imposition of Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardeman County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
100% Toone Sat MagnoliaRn 1
News Tennessee: Prison plan raising questions (Jun '10) Nov 23 jjp 16
News History, legends, ghosts and more on Bolivar tours Oct '16 warning 1
chad and angela howell (Apr '16) Apr '16 justaguest 1
News Teen wounds father in Hardeman Co. shooting (Mar '16) Mar '16 Ricardo 1
blonde lady (Dec '15) Dec '15 jackson tn 1
Informants (Sep '15) Sep '15 Mari Richards 1
More from around the web