Missing Virginia Autistic Boy Found A...

Missing Virginia Autistic Boy Found Alive - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 28 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Oct 28, 2011, titled Missing Virginia Autistic Boy Found Alive - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A Hanover County autistic boy has been found alive after going missing for six days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Judy

Smithfield, VA

#22 Oct 28, 2011
The power of prayer was evident in this little boys life over the last six days...what an amazing turn out of people who gave of their time to find him....
Volunteer Searcher

AOL

#23 Oct 28, 2011
KnoDumBEquestion wrote:
I'm so relieved that little one is safe!!!!Just what were the parents doing when the child wandered away? Was the family 100 yards from the river or five feet? Was the child on a bicycle or on foot? Does anything seem right with this story? How can the parents allow a child like this to wander away from them?
The child, his father, his father's girlfriend, and his younger brother....who is also autistic were hiking in the park.....they were approx. 150 yards from the river. The child ran away from his father,(and it has been said on FB news threads that both of the children ran away at the same time and the little one was found quickly but not Robert, however, I have not seen this story verified by police).....he ran away on foot. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many autism experts that noone "allowed him to wander away". There are many documented cases of what is called "autistic eloping"....in fact, it is used as one of the symptoms of autism (not sure if I am saying that correctly as "symptom").....you should Google it.....it would possibly give you a lot of insight on the case.....the Richmond news stations and FB pages have a lot of info also.

I do not know this child or his family, but I have been doing what I can to help with the search, and have been heartbroken since Sunday.....I cannot begin to describe the feeling I had today when he was found today.....God is so good.....and what a special little man to survive what he did:)

Since: Jan 10

United States

#24 Oct 29, 2011
Volunteer Searcher wrote:
<quoted text>
The child, his father, his father's girlfriend, and his younger brother....who is also autistic were hiking in the park.....they were approx. 150 yards from the river. The child ran away from his father,(and it has been said on FB news threads that both of the children ran away at the same time and the little one was found quickly but not Robert, however, I have not seen this story verified by police).....he ran away on foot. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many autism experts that noone "allowed him to wander away". There are many documented cases of what is called "autistic eloping"....in fact, it is used as one of the symptoms of autism (not sure if I am saying that correctly as "symptom").....you should Google it.....it would possibly give you a lot of insight on the case.....the Richmond news stations and FB pages have a lot of info also.
I do not know this child or his family, but I have been doing what I can to help with the search, and have been heartbroken since Sunday.....I cannot begin to describe the feeling I had today when he was found today.....God is so good.....and what a special little man to survive what he did:)
I think you are right and this was a child who ran, and not a case of neglect. Thank you, and many others, for your part in giving this scenario a fabulous ending. My prayers have been answered.
TL in Cville

North Garden, VA

#25 Oct 29, 2011
Great news! Thanks to all the searchers and community support, this family is together again.
NormanT

Sun City West, AZ

#26 Oct 29, 2011
This is proof of what a community can do when there is trouble. Many helping the one. May Jehovah bless everyone for the effort they put forth in helping this family in their time of need.
Liz

Shrewsbury, PA

#27 Oct 29, 2011
KnoDumBEquestion wrote:
I'm so relieved that little one is safe!!!!Just what were the parents doing when the child wandered away? Was the family 100 yards from the river or five feet? Was the child on a bicycle or on foot? Does anything seem right with this story? How can the parents allow a child like this to wander away from them?
Autistic or not, children do things like this. It is not anyone's fault. Surely you've seen a child before. They're generally smaller than adults and are prone to immature behavior.
joseph

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Oct 29, 2011
i knew god would help the searchers find him allways have faith.god bless him& his family.
Denise

Colcord, OK

#29 Oct 29, 2011
So happy for the family of little Robert. As a mother of a special needs son myself, I wanted to travel from Oklahoma to Virginia to help search for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 75,000 Pounds Of Squash Spills Onto I-95 In Han... (Apr '13) Apr '13 DANNY PENNELL 1
Taxes (Feb '13) Feb '13 Hanover county va... 1
News Road to Revolution Heritage Trail Growing in VA (Feb '13) Feb '13 Eaglescout1984 1
News Juvenile Victim Injured In Ashland Nightclub Sh... (Nov '12) Nov '12 ivnws4u 2
News Sheriff: Mallory will be charged with Beaverdam... (Feb '12) Feb '12 RoseRed 1
News Robert Wood Jr. found alive on Day 6 of search ... (Oct '11) Nov '11 Glen Allen 3
News Aspects of autism might have helped boy endure (Nov '11) Nov '11 A MOTHER 1
More from around the web