Let Us All Turn in Our Hymnals to "Ru...

Let Us All Turn in Our Hymnals to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"

There are 2 comments on the HolyCoast.com story from Dec 10, 2008, titled Let Us All Turn in Our Hymnals to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". In it, HolyCoast.com reports that:

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" caused a stir at a New Hanover County school. A parent complained about the song's religious reference and got it pulled from her child's kindergarten Christmas show at ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HolyCoast.com.

“Blessings to you and yours.”

Since: Dec 07

Washington DC

#1 Dec 10, 2008
The story behind Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer is one of my favorite tales.
It was a December night in Chicago many years ago, when a little girl climbed into her father's lap and asked him "Why isn't my Mommy just like everybody else's mommy?" Her father, Bob May looked over at his young wife Evelyn who had been bedridden with cancer for 2 years. They were deep in debt as all of his income and savings had gone to pay for treatments and medicines for his wife. Bob sought some way to answer her question. He remembered being labeled different and being teased as a child. He stayed up that night holding his little girl in his arms and began to tell a story.
"Once upon a time there was a reindeer named Rudolph, the only reindeer in the world that had a big red nose..." as he went on to tell Barbara about Rudolph, he tried desperately to communicate to Barbara the knowledge that, even though some creatures of God are strange and different, they often enjoy the miraculous power to make others happy.
Rudolph, Bob explained, was terribly embarrassed by his unique nose. Other reindeer laughed at him; his mother and father and sister were mortified too. Even Rudolph wallowed in self pity. Until that foggy Christmas eve when Rudolph's red nose was exactly what Santa needed to be able to see through the fog and deliver presents. So it was that Rudolph, who was once teased for his red nose, was now the most famous and beloved of all the reindeer.
Little Barbara laughed with glee when her father finished. Every nights she begged him to repeat the tale until finally Bob could rattle it off in his sleep. For Christmas, he decided to make the story into a poem like "The Night Before Christmas" and prepare it in an illustrated book form for Barbara's personal gift. As he was finishing this gift, his wife died. He finished the book for his daughter and gave it to her on Christmas morning.
In 1938, Bob May attended an employee's holiday party at Montgomery Ward and he read the poem to the crowd. At first the crowd listened in laughter and gaiety, then they became silent, and at the end broke into spontaneous applause. By Christmas 1947, some 6 million copies of the booklet had been given away or sold, making Rudolph one of the most widely distributed books in the world.
Blessings of light and love to everyone this glorious holiday season.
)0(
Janis

AOL

#2 Jul 29, 2009
I wish the President would comment on more stories!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 75,000 Pounds Of Squash Spills Onto I-95 In Han... (Apr '13) Apr '13 DANNY PENNELL 1
Taxes (Feb '13) Feb '13 Hanover county va... 1
News Road to Revolution Heritage Trail Growing in VA (Feb '13) Feb '13 Eaglescout1984 1
News Juvenile Victim Injured In Ashland Nightclub Sh... (Nov '12) Nov '12 ivnws4u 2
News Sheriff: Mallory will be charged with Beaverdam... (Feb '12) Feb '12 RoseRed 1
News Robert Wood Jr. found alive on Day 6 of search ... (Oct '11) Nov '11 Glen Allen 3
News Aspects of autism might have helped boy endure (Nov '11) Nov '11 A MOTHER 1
More from around the web