Fire set by inmates closes holding cell

Fire set by inmates closes holding cell

There are 2 comments on the The South Mississippi Sun Herald story from Dec 28, 2006, titled Fire set by inmates closes holding cell. In it, The South Mississippi Sun Herald reports that:

A fire set by inmates at a temporary holding cell behind the Hancock Sheriff's Office on Saturday not only stoked additional charges against the two culprits, but also caused the holding quarters to be shut ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The South Mississippi Sun Herald.

Deborah

AOL

#1 Dec 31, 2006
The temporary holding cell is just that...temporary. I don't think inmates should have lighters/matches in their possession. Let them smoke but hand in the lighters/matches as they do in the nursing homes. I do not think either one of these inmates would intentionally risk their lives to cause damage to the "metal box". They both could have died. It's a wonder the deputies even heard them banging on the door. More surprising...the deputies responded to the banging. Those two guys were extremely lucky. I don't think it was intentional. I think it was a malfunction and the sheriff's dept can say it was caused by anything...whose to judge their decisions! They are the law and what they say goes..na matter if we feel it's right or wrong. Hancock County has a terrible justice system in my opinion. The people they should be incarcerating are roaming around free while others who only has(had) a misdemeanor are in jail. I think those misdemeanor violators should all be given community service,on their off days,if employed,by helping the elderly/disabled recover/rebuild their homes from Hurricane Katrina. The county would only have to spend a few hours a day monitoring that they arrived and stayed at their designated site for their hours for the day. Great alternative for those who can't afford a fine in these terrible times. Thank you.
Another anonymous post

Biloxi, MS

#2 Dec 31, 2006
Im glad they arrested the dumbasses who started the fire. How stupid can criminals be? They were in a locked down area and started a fire. Stupid.

As for doing community service for their crimes, please remember the old saying...dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

What if those people had died in that trailer? Temporary or not, they started a fire that could of ended in a catastrophy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hancock County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Foster care in Hancock County bears watching (Sep '16) Aug '17 chance change 3
News Lawsuit: Toddlers sexually assaulted while in H... (Jan '16) Aug '17 darla birdsall 3
News South Mississippi felony arrest mugshots for We... Aug '17 darla birdsall 1
News Officials: Police chief shoots himself just aft... (Sep '16) Sep '16 docmo 2
News Suspect in shootout with deputies facing new fe... (Jun '16) Jun '16 nicole 1
Volunteers needed for HHFBW Women Build 2016: W... (Apr '16) Apr '16 asbigred 1
Hancock County Board of Supervisor's August 25t... (Aug '15) Aug '15 nbf2323 1
More from around the web