Semi collides with multiple cars

Full story: WISH-TV 8 Indiana News

A semi collides with several cars in Hamilton County. It happened at S.R. 38 and U.S. 31 at around 1:40 p.m. Emergency crews are on the scene.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Maggie

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

I live a few minutes away and this is an EXTREMELY dangerous intersection. My family and I always wait at least a few seconds after the light on 38 turns green, because many, many semi trucks on 31 run the red light, well after the light on 38 turns green. I am so sad this accident has happened.
JLS

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

I agree. We use this intersection and do the same thing. This happens a lot here. Trucks blow through the red lights. Something needs to be changed.
84grad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

any plans to add a video/traffic cam to the stoplights before/after they go back up?
Commuter

Kokomo, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Thank goodness this is the first intersection scheduled to be updated on the US 31 grand plan!
Becky Meredith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

My family also lives near this intersection. They have been numerous fatalities because of semi's running the lights. My DIL was in a wreck there a year ago, and she had waited after the light turned green for her, and was still hit because a semi ran the light, didn't even try to slow down.
This is a major problem and has been for years. How many more people are going to have to die before they get semi's under control on this road?
Sheriff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

I guess none of you idiots know that semi's can't stop on a dime. It takes over a football field including both end zones to stop a loaded tractor trailer. I'll also bet the time from yellow to red is very short, not to mention red to green for the ones who are stopped.
Mr Comment

Beech Grove, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
I guess none of you idiots know that semi's can't stop on a dime. It takes over a football field including both end zones to stop a loaded tractor trailer. I'll also bet the time from yellow to red is very short, not to mention red to green for the ones who are stopped.
So you're saying that because it takes longer for them to stop, it's OK for them to run the light? Well gee whiz Mr. Einstein, maybe they should slow to reasonable speed when approaching a traffic signal so they can stop in time if necessary? You call other people idiots?

“Nosey just like you”

Since: Feb 08

where I lay my head

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
Put your badge back in the cracker jack box buddy.
Sheriff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

NoseyLikeYou wrote:
<quoted text>
Put your badge back in the cracker jack box buddy.
I ain't your buddy. Don't have time for low lifes
Sheriff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Mr Comment wrote:
<quoted text>So you're saying that because it takes longer for them to stop, it's OK for them to run the light? Well gee whiz Mr. Einstein, maybe they should slow to reasonable speed when approaching a traffic signal so they can stop in time if necessary? You call other people idiots?
Never did say that it is ok, Its amazing how you 4-wheelers know all about how a semi operates, and yet over 70%, repeat 70% of all car/semi crashes ARE THE RESULTS OF THE DRIVER IN THE CAR. Einstein, YES better then a dumb a**!
Kyle

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Some of these semi-drivers must have gotten cracker jacks licenses. Companies have been known to hire less than qualified drivers. Maybe now, since more people are looking for work, better drivers will be hired.
Sheriff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Kyle wrote:
Some of these semi-drivers must have gotten cracker jacks licenses. Companies have been known to hire less than qualified drivers. Maybe now, since more people are looking for work, better drivers will be hired.
Couldn't have said it better. I have over 1.5 million miles, no accidents, and no speeding tickets, not bad for 39 years old.
Reader

Crystal Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
<quoted text>
Never did say that it is ok, Its amazing how you 4-wheelers know all about how a semi operates, and yet over 70%, repeat 70% of all car/semi crashes ARE THE RESULTS OF THE DRIVER IN THE CAR. Einstein, YES better then a dumb a**!
We are talking about this accident today and this particular intersection. People who drive through this area know it is dangerous due to drivers in general running red lights; today it happened to be a semi. I think semis get a bad wrap because of the size and amount of damage done when they become involved in accidents. I don't think name calling or finger pointing is appropriate when people were hurt.

“Nosey just like you”

where I lay my head

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
<quoted text>I ain't your buddy. Don't have time for low lifes
Must be real hard hanging out with yourself daily.
JanetM

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Mr Comment wrote:
<quoted text>So you're saying that because it takes longer for them to stop, it's OK for them to run the light? Well gee whiz Mr. Einstein, maybe they should slow to reasonable speed when approaching a traffic signal so they can stop in time if necessary? You call other people idiots?
I think what he meant was that the time the yellow stays on should be longer to give everyone a chance to clear the intersection or stop. Sometimes that change interval is quite short and trucks or cars cannot get stopped in time.
Sheriff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

NoseyLikeYou wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be real hard hanging out with yourself daily.
Nope, not at all, I detect jealousy in your typing.
Commuter

Kokomo, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Are there any updates to this story?
Who was injured? How seriously?
Did the truck driver have any health issues that might have caused the wreck?
Has the intersection reopened yet?
Is it still in 4-way stop mode?

“Nosey just like you”

where I lay my head

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, not at all, I detect jealousy in your typing.
Never jealous over fonted words, the fact that you want to state folks are idiots and quote the length it takes for a semi loaded to stop is laughable. Even with coiled steel if a driver is driving appropriately he can stop when needed because he will predict a light ahead (signs show that) that there will be no need to have a football field and more to come to a complete stop.
Mr Comment

Beech Grove, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Sheriff wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not have said it was OK, but you definitely implied that they should be given a pass for it. You're right about cars causing accidents with semis. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about semis running the light because they were too stupid to allow themselves time to stop in case the light changed. Anytime anyone is driving any vehicle at high speed approaching an intersection, they should be fully aware of how long it takes to stop and adjust their speed accordingly. Does that clear it up for you, or do I need to type slower?

Since: Mar 08

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Funny I traveled through there for six years on the way to work and the biggest problem I saw is idiots on their phone not paying attention. I saw cars run the light or slam on the brakes when they realize the light is red. Other morons change lanes in front of semis leaving the semi little stopping distance just to avoid sitting behind 2 cars at the light.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hamilton County Discussions

Search the Hamilton County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Hackers or Lawyers Apr '14 Charges 3
Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested on DUI charges Mar '14 Money Talks In Indiana 6
Sex charges fly in Menard-Hilbert legal battle (Jun '13) Nov '13 GAURD SHACK POST2 6
How the Brizzi public-corruption case unraveled (Nov '13) Nov '13 ima hoosier 4
Document reveals how bribery of former Marion C... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Moe 1
Grand Park will amp up tourism (Sep '13) Sep '13 Andy Crook -Mayor- 1
Ex-coach misses hearing on alcohol charge (Aug '07) Aug '13 Tress 17
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••