Indianapolis mayor testifies about ef...

Indianapolis mayor testifies about effects of caps on property ...

There are 83 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 11, 2008, titled Indianapolis mayor testifies about effects of caps on property .... In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Mayor addresses House panel about expected $41M shortfall from caps on property taxes * Database: Tax plan impact Tom Wood Volkswagen Looking for a Price Quote? Maybe You Need to Schedule a Service Appointment ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Feb 12, 2008
These caps are pointless if the assessors office is going to play games with the value of the house. What is the point if they are going to put the assessed value of a $100,000 home at $125,000. And setting these caps gives local governments something to shoot for. They are going to tax you at the highest possible rate and then tell you they are within the law to do so. Property taxes in my neighborhood have gone up dramatically. The property I live in now is currently a rental. Under the new tax plan my landlord's taxes on this property will soar again. Under the 1% rule it would remain relatively unchanged. But with the rental provision he could get his tax doubled on him.

Cut property taxes my a**!!!
Skip

United States

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Yes, I don't see how their plan is going to help anyone, especially the rentals and business.
Everyone in gov't is complaining that they will have to cut something and they just can't get along with the money they will have.
They are completely forgetting that the public wants cuts made. Spending has to be cut for any of this to work. I get a kick out of every time someone says they have to cut something, they always say it's firemen or police, or ambulance service. They always mention the things that no one wants cut and always forget all the other areas that could be cut, including their own staffs'. We all know that if our budget is cut short we can cut things out that we don't have to do, but for the most of us, it doesn't mean cutting out our food or heat for the house.
The American people need to be weaned from wanting government to do everything for them before any changes will work, but I don't think they are willing to give up and take care of themselves.
Gordon

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Feb 12, 2008
Ballard was going to cut the budget by 10 percent anyway, right. So this shouldn't mean anything to him. He also criticised the tax hike, so he shouldn't need that to balance the budget either. If there is 'plenty of fluff' then it should be easy to name something. Anything.

BTW, I know their union didn't help him get elected, but firefighters are part of public safety. If he lays off firefighters, he is cutting public safety.
Look at this another way

Columbus, IN

#4 Feb 12, 2008
How about working on the COST of living such as price of gas (we all know the gov't uses alot of fuel) & the price of groceries, utilities that's what is consuming everyones income!!!! There's no reason for gas to be what it is & all other comodities reflect that.
heck

Clayton, IN

#5 Feb 12, 2008
What a whiner. It did not take long for Ballard to start whining on how impossible it is to manage the City. He should cut the fluff that he refers to. People can and should pay for the services they use like trash and ambulance. Why should the state pay for local pensions? I agree the fire departments should be consolidated.
Wonder

Panama City, FL

#6 Feb 12, 2008
Wonder if Mayor Ballard is still planning to hand over $48 Million in tax dollars to a private developer for yet another hotel in downtown Indianapolis. Seems to me that this would be a good place to start. As for the state bailing MC out of its pension mess, there is simply no justification for even asking all state residents to bail MC out of the fiscal mess its elected officials created. Besideds, I thought that funding that pension was the excuse for hiking MC's local income tax from 1% to 1.65%. Has MC blown that money already?
The rest of story

Panama City, FL

#7 Feb 12, 2008
So how much are MC and other counties going to SAVE with the shift of school transportation costs, the remaining 15% of school operating costs, and child welfare costs currently paid for with property taxes if the state assumes those expenses? If the state assuming those expenses does not amount to a significant chunk of change, then there is no excuse for raising the state sales tax to cover those expenses. If that savings realized by local taxing authorities does amount to a significant chunk of change, it is deceptive to report only a supposed loss of property tax revenue without reporting on the savings.
just my thoughts

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 12, 2008
When my household dont have the money we make cuts. Local government needs to do the same. I69 south would be a good start, Why spend all that money just to save 15 minutes travel time to Evansville? That is just one exanple of un-needed tax money spent.There are countless ways to cut tax money spent and as a tax payer I am sick of all the waste of my share of the taxes being totally misused.
just my thoughts

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 12, 2008
What percentage of our taxes being spent on busing? I feel children would benefit from walking to the school closest to their homes. All this tax money for gas cost, insurance, busses, upkeep, tires, ect.. Our children are fat and lazy and the walk every day would be very helpful in forcing are children to be more fit. I walked from 10th and Oxford st. to school #101 and then Tech H.S. and it did'nt hurt me. Alot of parents are raising kids that are way over weight, and most dont understand the long term effects of that.
JHB

Carmel, IN

#10 Feb 12, 2008
What a weak performance by Ballard, for whom I voted. How can we get a qualified person to run for mayor. Ballard should have known all these answers before his election. All the budgets, salaries, job descriptions etc are easily available to any public person...even you and me. I see why the Republican party did not support him.

We must demand better, more professional answers BEFORE elctions in the future or we'll end up with high crime rates, expensive public building projects, and inappropriate appointments to CIB.....wait!!!!! That is exactly what we have been getting for years and now seems to be continuing.
Coondog

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 12, 2008
Dan In Indy wrote:
These caps are pointless if the assessors office is going to play games with the value of the house. What is the point if they are going to put the assessed value of a $100,000 home at $125,000. And setting these caps gives local governments something to shoot for. They are going to tax you at the highest possible rate and then tell you they are within the law to do so. Property taxes in my neighborhood have gone up dramatically. The property I live in now is currently a rental. Under the new tax plan my landlord's taxes on this property will soar again. Under the 1% rule it would remain relatively unchanged. But with the rental provision he could get his tax doubled on him.
Cut property taxes my a**!!!
You don't pay property tax. End of argument.
Boys learning

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 12, 2008
Hey Greg, Stand still and do something. You may have only being in office 5 weeks, but you sure have picked up the government 2 step pretty quick. You wanted the job start doing it or you'll be gone quicker than Bart.
Coondog

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Feb 12, 2008
The 1% property tax WILL greatly help me. He could add the differance as a sales tax, everybody pays. Landlording is a business, make it or not. All businesses are make it or not.
You can always fight an unfair assessment.
Newsflash

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 12, 2008
just my thoughts wrote:
What percentage of our taxes being spent on busing? I feel children would benefit from walking to the school closest to their homes. All this tax money for gas cost, insurance, busses, upkeep, tires, ect.. Our children are fat and lazy and the walk every day would be very helpful in forcing are children to be more fit. I walked from 10th and Oxford st. to school #101 and then Tech H.S. and it did'nt hurt me. Alot of parents are raising kids that are way over weight, and most dont understand the long term effects of that.
Good idea, tell yow what, I'd take it a bit further. Most the fat kids have fat parents. They need to walk with them.
Harry Hooiser

United States

#15 Feb 12, 2008
Statewide spending needs to be reduced, and this can be accomplished by reducing the size of the government. We don't need all off the local government there is in Indiana - if anyone tells you otherwise they are either part of the problem, or a relative of part of the problem.

Reducing government will accomplish the reduction in spending, which in turn should reduce taxes.

Shifting from Property taxes to sales tax, or income tax does not address the root problem, but just shifts who foots the bill.

There has been a steady increase in spending which has brought this issue to the forefront, and it now needs to be dealt with in a thoughtful manner.

Everything is on the table, because in the end it is not the Legislature's call, the governor's call, the mayor's call - it is the people of the state of Indiana call!
scott

Ronks, PA

#16 Feb 12, 2008
I hope Mayor Ballard doesn't give up this easily. There is fluff in state and alocal government. There is so much waaste that it is ridiculous. It is time for someone to hold these entities accountable. Continuously throwing money at problems is not working. I think more privitization of government is the answer. If private business ran their comoanies the wayt he government does they would all go broke. I am not too optimistic that any of these elected official have the cajones to do what is right. I retire in a couple of years and I'm out of here!
I Am Confused

Schiller Park, IL

#17 Feb 12, 2008
The battle cry seems to be cut spending. But I have yet to see ANYONE make a suggestion as to where to cut it.

We can't cut mandates even the unfunded ones. So where exactly are we going to cut? Can someone please give some ideas. Not generalities. Don't mention take home cars because many police, fire, EMS, Health Department etc. respond from home to emergencies. Be specific.
frederick

Evansville, IN

#18 Feb 12, 2008
Everyone screams "cut spending" until the thing they use is cut! If you want stuff you have to pay for it. I won't even comment on the person who wants to put controls on the cost of living!
good job ballard

Fishers, IN

#19 Feb 12, 2008
Stick to your guns, this is much needed!
Alumni

Bloomington, IN

#20 Feb 12, 2008
scott wrote:
I hope Mayor Ballard doesn't give up this easily. There is fluff in state and alocal government. There is so much waaste that it is ridiculous. It is time for someone to hold these entities accountable. Continuously throwing money at problems is not working. I think more privitization of government is the answer. If private business ran their comoanies the wayt he government does they would all go broke. I am not too optimistic that any of these elected official have the cajones to do what is right. I retire in a couple of years and I'm out of here!
Clearly there is fluff in local government. But the biggest piece of the pie is by far in police and fire personnel costs across all local governments in indiana. The only fundamental way to cut significant costs is to whack personnel in these two areas. Any other cuts pale in comparison to weight of police and fire expenditures as a percentage of the whole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamilton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man accused of severely beating wife (Sep '08) Jan '17 Dac 2
News Vigo County voter turnout third lowest in state Dec '16 ron 1
Hamilton County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests R... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Vic 2
News Odor complaints flood Hamilton County, Indianap... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Lavon Affair 2
News Subway franchiser agrees to $50,000 settlement ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Star On The Ugly Hamilton County GOP Chairman Race (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lincoln Fibness 1
News Hamilton County judge dismisses 6 of 9 cases in... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
More from around the web