HSE redistricting will move hundreds

HSE redistricting will move hundreds

There are 14 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 17, 2007, titled HSE redistricting will move hundreds. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Hamilton Southeastern Schools will shuffle more than 1,100 students to different schools next year to help deal with the district's rapid population growth Officials said realignment is necessary to balance the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

J Bosler

Jeffersonville, IN

#1 Nov 18, 2007
I understand the need to even out the elementary school population. What concerns me is the process in determining which neighborhoods are moved and their ultimate destination. I live 1.5 miles from my child's current school. Proximity of GES to our home was a big part of our decision to build in the neighborhood we chose. The closeness allows me access to the school in just a couple of minutes (picking up/dropping off my child, volunteering, etc.). It is hard for me to understand that they can move our neighborhood from 104th and Olio Road ALL THE WAY to 126th Street. There are subdivisions (the same size as ours) that attend GES that are much closer to 126th (those neighborhoods are slated to remain at GES). Why would the bus pass those subdivisions to pick up our children and then pass those subdivisions again to take them all the way out to the new school? This proposal seems almost absentminded. I wonder if there is a CLEAR understanding of the outcome?
Happy

United States

#2 Nov 18, 2007
I am so pleased that our children will now attend a school that is closer to home. We have already been through redistricting twice with this system once we were moved to a school farther away and now twice to one that is closer. Once the "trauma" (more for the parents than the kids) has passed, one realizes that all HSE schools are excellent and they all strive for excellence. Education is the teacher, not the building.
Whew

Maineville, OH

#3 Nov 18, 2007
Glad we moved before our kids were school-aged so we will never have to deal with this!
Jed

Covington, KY

#4 Nov 18, 2007
Whew wrote:
Glad we moved before our kids were school-aged so we will never have to deal with this!
Mason, OH is a wonderful place. Amen to your comments. The reason for this is to be able to afford that new Administration building and you can bet our superintendent will be the lead interior decorator or it will be delayed.

Our school systems in Indiana need to be more accountable to the taxpayers instead of just announcing (that might be too kind) they are spending millions of dollars on new stuff from buildings to baseball fields to football stadiums.

Can you believe a school system in Central Indiana spent $400,000+ on switches for the lighting system at a new football stadium. Yes, a stadium. As if we do not have enough curriculum problems and special education teacher needs.
really

Covington, KY

#5 Nov 19, 2007
J Bosler: Maybe it has something to do with the number of children in your neighborhood?

Maybe it is easier logistically to move one large neighborhood to the new school than smaller ones.

I don't know.
CHS Parent

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Nov 20, 2007
Solve the problem, send them private!

Except then you'll have to deal with ******* HS "recruited" your son or daughter to play sports, if they are so inclined!
Sports Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Nov 20, 2007
Watch out what you do!!! You will soon have someone say that the district changed a neighborhood because there are so many athletes that live in the neighborhood, they want to make Fishers better at sports or they want to keep HSE on top of Fishers. It's coming, wait and see!!!!!!!!!!
Noblesville Miller

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Nov 20, 2007
CHS Parent wrote:
Solve the problem, send them private!
Except then you'll have to deal with ******* HS "recruited" your son or daughter to play sports, if they are so inclined!
Don't send your kid to a private school. Let them be in contact with *gasp* people who are different from them. Stupid Catholic schools...
CHS Parent

United States

#9 Nov 20, 2007
You really think that a school like
Carmel has a more diverse student body than Cathedral or Chatard?

You've been on the northside too long! You need to get out more.

About the only brown you'll see is when you pull your head out of your ***!
Observer

United States

#10 Nov 21, 2007
Amazing how many of the more "diverse" members of the Cathedral student population are athletes. No recruiting going on there...I'm sure...
Told Ya

United States

#11 Nov 21, 2007
Observer wrote:
Amazing how many of the more "diverse" members of the Cathedral student population are athletes. No recruiting going on there...I'm sure...

It didn't take long for someone to say "recruited".

As if it doesn't happen at LN, HSE and Carmel on the northside!
Sports Fan

United States

#12 Nov 21, 2007
Observer wrote:
It begins..... as predicted!

Why do you think a kid "belongs" to a public school?
Jed

Evansville, IN

#13 Dec 8, 2007
Redistricting with Thorpe Creek Elementary (TCE) has only 1 subdivision with limited family finances being part of the new school. Does that mean breakfast will not be offered since no one will qualify for free lunches?
Okie

AOL

#14 Dec 2, 2008
I am a bus driver for Hse district. One small subdivision I drive in has over 66 elememtary children, with only four fourth graders leaving at the end of this school year. The buses are all loaded to the gills for every school. Parents are not driving their children this year like they did last year, and when the gas prices were so high, fewer high schoolers were driving.
Redistricting is the only thing that can be done to even out the classes at all the schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamilton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Subway franchiser agrees to $50,000 settlement ... Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Star On The Ugly Hamilton County GOP Chairman Race Feb '16 Lincoln Fibness 1
News Hamilton County judge dismisses 6 of 9 cases in... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Excise officer arrested on suspicion of DWI (Oct '14) Oct '14 No Surprise 10
Hackers or Lawyers (Apr '14) Apr '14 Charges 3
News Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested on DUI charges (Mar '14) Mar '14 Money Talks In In... 6
News Sex charges fly in Menard-Hilbert legal battle (Jun '13) Nov '13 GAURD SHACK POST2 6
More from around the web