Hamilton Heights pupil takes gun to s...

Hamilton Heights pupil takes gun to school

There are 64 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 29, 2008, titled Hamilton Heights pupil takes gun to school. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Hamilton County Sheriff Doug Carter has confirmed that a seventh-grade boy at Hamilton Heights Middle School took a gun to school Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
CheckItOut

Delaware, OH

#1 Feb 29, 2008
It was show and tell day, come on Sheriff.. honestly it was...
Transparent
#2 Feb 29, 2008
This is the second or third incident this week in Indiana. Still think violence in the media is not an influence? Still think that we are setting the best examples for our children by having easy access to guns?
Frustrated

Martinsville, IN

#3 Feb 29, 2008
People owning guns need to be held responsible for keeping them out of the hands of children! Put some teeth into laws pertaining to this. Just a warning doesn't seem to be enough. If you have a gun & a permit to own it....you must be held accountable! One of these days we could have a crises in an IN school like some schools in other states have had!
John

United States

#4 Feb 29, 2008
Transparent wrote:
This is the second or third incident this week in Indiana. Still think violence in the media is not an influence? Still think that we are setting the best examples for our children by having easy access to guns?
Yes, I still think I am setting the best example for my children by having easy access to guns.
John

United States

#5 Feb 29, 2008
Frustrated wrote:
People owning guns need to be held responsible for keeping them out of the hands of children! Put some teeth into laws pertaining to this. Just a warning doesn't seem to be enough. If you have a gun & a permit to own it....you must be held accountable! One of these days we could have a crises in an IN school like some schools in other states have had!
Don't worry, just be patient. Once enough rich white kids are shot something will be done.
BFrank

Granger, IN

#6 Feb 29, 2008
A seventh grader knows better. Prosecute him and is his/her parents are involved, them too. IF they didn't know where the gun came from, get the 7th grader. With all the crack and meth crime, guns are easily accessible from stealing.

Since: Dec 07

Indianapolis

#7 Feb 29, 2008
I totally agree! These parents who allow children to get their guns should be charged with felony child neglect!!
Their neglect allowed their child to endanger their child and every child they come in contact with!!!

Their is no excuse for gun owners to be negligent! We defiantly need stronger gun laws for people who are negligent. We have numerous guns in our house-my husband is a collector. But as responsible gun owners-no child has or ever will be able to get to one. And we have children in our house every weekend. There is no excuse-for a child having access to guns!!!
hhmom

Roseland, NJ

#8 Feb 29, 2008
wonder when HHSC was going to let the parents know about this............
king

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 29, 2008
Frustrated wrote:
People owning guns need to be held responsible for keeping them out of the hands of children!
In addition to doing all you can to keep firearms away from children, you should also teach them firearms safety. Teach your children to respect guns, that they aren't toys and how to react when they find one.

Education, respect and training will help keep children safe around guns. New gun laws will not.
Indy CPA - Also HH Mom

Carmel, IN

#11 Feb 29, 2008
I also share concern regarding the lack of communication to parents. Why am I finding out from the Indy Star three days after this happened when I have a child at the middle school? Very frustrating!
357 magnum

Covington, KY

#12 Feb 29, 2008
I grew up in Arcadia, It is a small town ,where many people hunt. it is nothing to see a young boy with a gun walking down the tracks, and through town.I don't think they should be in the schools,You can bet if the person intended harm there would have been plenty. I think a person that goes to a school to shoot other people should be taken out of the human race. I mean NO pictures on the news Not only that but The report should go as follows. Today a non human went to a school and shot thirteen people. six dead the non human shot himself. GOOD! thats one less piece of excrement to deal with. his family will be billed for all medical costs. his name will be stricken from all records.no publicity for this deranged CHUMP!

Since: Dec 07

Indianapolis

#13 Feb 29, 2008
king wrote:
<quoted text>
In addition to doing all you can to keep firearms away from children, you should also teach them firearms safety. Teach your children to respect guns, that they aren't toys and how to react when they find one.
Education, respect and training will help keep children safe around guns. New gun laws will not.
I agree with you on teaching children firearms safety. My 7yr old grandson got a pellet gun for his b-day. My husband and son have taught him gun safety and how to shoot. he will never accidentally shoot a friend or play with a gun because of fascination or ignorance because he knows a gun is not a toy. Also because we are responsible gun owners. As for gun laws I meant more severe punishment for negligent gun owners-not more restrictions for responsible gun owners.
Disgusted in Southport

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Feb 29, 2008
Transparent wrote:
Typical questions, sadly, not thought through. "Violence in the media" is such an easy thing to whine over. I was subjected to just as much violence in said media, as a kid, played plenty of "shoot-em-up" style games... guess what? No incident. For every one child that brings a gun to school because of "media violence," there are 50,000 who didn't.

There is no direct link. No cause and effect here.

This response is saddening... just another example of lazy US citizens screaming to give up their rights in the name of "safety." Every society in history whose citizens have given up their rights has ended up becoming MORE violent and lawless. The reason? Citizens becoming irresponsible and demanding that their government do the work for them. "Educate my kids, keep my kids safe, give me freebies by the truckload."

If anything, YOU are the problem.
HH Mom

Reston, VA

#15 Feb 29, 2008
I contacted School. We have been sent a letter. Doesn't explain why my daughter was at school on Tuesday and a student had a gun. Heck could have been the kid sitting next to her!! And I'm reading this on indystar.com . I will be at the next PTO Meeting!!
Mr Evilwrench

Westfield, IN

#17 Feb 29, 2008
Gee those "gun-free school zone" laws really solved the problem, didn't they? Now, even if a teacher or administrator HAS a carry permit, being law-abiding citizens they have to go to school as unarmed potential victims, and there's no way anyone around to stop one of these kids if he DOES go off. He'll be free to wander the halls at his leisure, maiming and killing.

The really sick thing to consider is that maybe the leftards that come up with this "feel-good" legislation actually anticipated this kind of outcome, and were willing to sacrifice some hundreds or thousands of innocent children to horrify us into giving up more of our rights, specifically our ability to protect ourselves from their intended tyrrany.
bbbbb

New York, NY

#18 Feb 29, 2008
I'd love to get a quote from a parent in one of these stories.
bbbbb

New York, NY

#19 Feb 29, 2008
Let me clarify, a quote from the parent of the child who brought in the gun.
Father of 3

Cicero, IN

#20 Feb 29, 2008
HH Mom wrote:
I contacted School. We have been sent a letter. Doesn't explain why my daughter was at school on Tuesday and a student had a gun. Heck could have been the kid sitting next to her!! And I'm reading this on indystar.com . I will be at the next PTO Meeting!!
I'm glad to hear of concerned parents, but before you go spouting off with things you might end of regretting later. Know this...the principals and administrators of HHSC keep the students safety FIRST! without risking unnecessary behavior. THe correct route, in my opinion, was taken to make sure nothing was missed or this kid would be in another school doing it again in no time. I trust my children within this corp. to the fullest. They are great people and a wonderful staff.

Instead of complaining at the next PTO meeting.. bring answers!
Responsible gun owner

Carmel, IN

#21 Feb 29, 2008
GrannyOf3 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you on teaching children firearms safety. My 7yr old grandson got a pellet gun for his b-day. My husband and son have taught him gun safety and how to shoot. he will never accidentally shoot a friend or play with a gun because of fascination or ignorance because he knows a gun is not a toy. Also because we are responsible gun owners. As for gun laws I meant more severe punishment for negligent gun owners-not more restrictions for responsible gun owners.
Granny, I am so glad you clarified your thoughts. As a fellow gun owner, I couldn't agree more with you. Curiosity will not only kill the cat, but it will kill children also. My kids and their friends (after speaking to the parents) have access to any and all of my guns under my direct supervision. Not to mention the guns are all locked separately from the ammo. Any time anyone wants to see, feel, hold (or shoot for that matter), I let them do so. All this is done with proper instruction and gun safety. I even check each and every firearm before I hand them over to visually verify that they are empty...even if I had just pulled it out of the safe. Negligence is the key here, it really isn't that hard to keep guns away from kids. Enforce what we already have on the books to the fullest extent would be a nice change too. If it is a federal law, prosecute them federally. I think a few well placed, highly publisized "examples" might help out.
The Depot

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Feb 29, 2008
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, just be patient. Once enough rich white kids are shot something will be done.
Sorry John, but Hamilton Heights has about as many rich kids in the district as does IPS. This is Northern Hamilton county territory where the accents are thick and the necks are red.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamilton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mosquitoes in 53 counties test positive for Wes... (Aug '17) Aug '17 Stu Pidaso 1
News Man accused of severely beating wife (Sep '08) Jan '17 Dac 2
News Vigo County voter turnout third lowest in state (Dec '16) Dec '16 ron 1
Hamilton County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests R... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Vic 2
News Odor complaints flood Hamilton County, Indianap... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Lavon Affair 2
News Subway franchiser agrees to $50,000 settlement ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Star On The Ugly Hamilton County GOP Chairman Race (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lincoln Fibness 1
More from around the web