Assessors protest at governor's office

Assessors protest at governor's office

There are 113 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Assessors protest at governor's office. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A handful of township assessors stood outside the governor's office this morning to argue their jobs should not be eliminated as part of property-tax relief packages that have been proposed before the General ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jesse

Miamisburg, OH

#102 Dec 12, 2007
So these worthless pieces of refuse make 34K? We do not want them and do not need them. If we could do without them today (while they protested elimination of their worthless existence) we can do without them forever.
sic semper tyrannis
Driver 1

Newport, KY

#103 Dec 12, 2007
mee wrote:
People don't realize the goverment and the media is pulling the wool over your eyes. Even though the state cuts the Assessor's offices budgets every year, the state approved the assessments that everyone is bent out of shape over, even after seeing the numbers, and most of reason for the property tax increase was the STATE ORDERED trending reassement, the severe tax rate increase and the elimination of the business inventory tax, you still want to throw the Assessors under the bus. They are the scapegoat. Even though new businesses are lured into the state by the governer with promises of tax abatements (which means they pay no property tax for you morons out there) and the burdon shifts to the homeowner. You really think they are going the save money by eliminating the Assessor's staffs as some have suggested ?$ 34,000 a year is about $ 10,000 more than what they actually start you out full time, not part time like some idiot who can't spell stated earlier. If you hire more professional staff from the private sector, they will want way more money. Assessor offices are understaffed and underfunded, and have the job of assessing large amounts of property quickly useing their own vehicles. There are massive amounts of paperwork invloved and a lot more work than people believe. Ignorant people tend to throw their opinions around without much thought of who they are slandering.
You forgot too mention that Mitch wants to get his hands on all county/township money so that he can bring the State into the black! That we will get him reelected if he can brag about a five billion dollar surplus. Never mind that it will cost more to implement this proposal! Property taxes are not going away people.....the next best thing is to vote out the taxing (wow! what a play on words) Governor! Mitch must be voted out before there will be any way too bring property taxes under control!
Taxpayer

Jeffersonville, IN

#104 Dec 12, 2007
I hope the Daniels gave them directions to the unemployment line
Just the facts

Indianapolis, IN

#105 Dec 12, 2007
Worthless Lot wrote:
The Assessors voice sank with this latest property tax fiasco. Now, no one cares what you think. You had your chance, and you failed the test. We would all like it if you just went away. This new play will enable those in charge to appoint well-intended, qualified people to do the job, and do it (hopefully) right. Don't come crying to the statehouse, any support you may have had has dried up. Now get back to work!
Hey Worthless, A good portion of the assessments that were thrown out were done by the so called professionals! What do you have to say to that? May the unemployment fairy snatch your job away after busting your buns for years!

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis, IN

#106 Dec 12, 2007
Their jobs should not be eliminated?

The WORD assessor should be purged from the State's vocabulary.
samatha jones

United States

#107 Dec 12, 2007
Heck I would work for that--hire me I need a job.
bob searcy

United States

#108 Dec 12, 2007
wheres our money going?look around you.bigger churches are being built everywhere.also monstrous hospitals are steadily being built with multi-millions in costom architechure wasted.your government continues to defend mandatory insurance coverage with insurers who will trash both you and your scumbag attorney if you file a claim.law-enforcement has morphed into the third largest growth industry in america,and you and i my friend have no control over our government.the best solution i can come up with is limited,paid airtime for all candidates.we even have foreign governments helping to place our "elected"officials.i believe all government services should be privatized,then directly overseen by legit government.free enterprise is a lie.gov ernment has to oversee "all"business quite closely to prevent monopolies,price-fixing,etc.ou r current farce isnt working well.

“BALLARD LIED”

Since: Jul 07

Indianapolis

#109 Dec 12, 2007
To bad so sad time to hit the unemployment line. Now get on with the cut of the township trustee's jobs as well and the many other unneeded government jobs. We dont have a real need for the Lt. Governors Office or a mayor of a city so cut them as well!!!!
John Milton

Mooresville, IN

#110 Dec 12, 2007
My question in this entire debate is what happens to all of the dedicated public employees that have been doing their best working in this difficult system? Like all types of work environments there are very good employees, mediocre ones and bad ones. Should all of them be discarded just because of the sub-standard work by some? Public service is a thankless and tedious job, but an honorable one that needs to done. Remove the duplication and unnecessary levels of government, increase accountability, consolidate and increase efficiency, improve training, provide a merit system and pay accordingly, but just don't throw them all out because of prior bad practices and current political expediencies. These employees have families and lives just like everyone else. Government works when you have good employees - support the professional and qualified employees - eliminate the unsatisfactory ones.
Jerry

AOL

#111 Dec 12, 2007
Jim Gobble wrote:
The Assessor's better wake up and smell the roses. Taxes are way too high.
This isn't the assessors fault. And eliminating them alone won't solve it. However, it is just about too much government and the townships time in Indiana have come and gone. It's the easy place to start...many states don't have townships to begin with so they get by just fine without them. No other state has townships were everyone lives in one...regardless of city or town status. Some have places that are outside of town or city status (unincorporated, think Ohio) that you live in a township if you don't live in anything else.

“Think outside the box!”

Since: Aug 07

Indianapolis

#112 Dec 12, 2007
I agree with those saying we should tax a home based on the last purchase price. With the money we'd save getting rid of 1,008 assessors, I suspect the state would end up with more money at the end of the day, and seniors wouldn't be taxed out of their homes. It would also encourage people to buy run-down properties and fix them up (without fear that they'd get hit with a huge tax increase for improving a neighborhood).
racecar_fan

United States

#113 Dec 12, 2007
umm ...
Eliminating the elected assessors does not mean that the $6 million or so that it costs to pay the assessors goes away; it just means that instead of paying elected assessors, professionals would get paid instead. The actaul assessment costs may go up.
The problem is not with the assessors but rather out of control spending by the local governments, control the spending and property taxes will go down.
Driver 1

Newport, KY

#114 Dec 13, 2007
Fix the Future wrote:
I agree with those saying we should tax a home based on the last purchase price. With the money we'd save getting rid of 1,008 assessors, I suspect the state would end up with more money at the end of the day, and seniors wouldn't be taxed out of their homes. It would also encourage people to buy run-down properties and fix them up (without fear that they'd get hit with a huge tax increase for improving a neighborhood).
The fear does not come from the huge tax increase rather the knowledge that the invested money will be lost when the properties are destroyed again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamilton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Subway franchiser agrees to $50,000 settlement ... Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Star On The Ugly Hamilton County GOP Chairman Race Feb '16 Lincoln Fibness 1
News Hamilton County judge dismisses 6 of 9 cases in... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Excise officer arrested on suspicion of DWI (Oct '14) Oct '14 No Surprise 10
Hackers or Lawyers (Apr '14) Apr '14 Charges 3
News Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested on DUI charges (Mar '14) Mar '14 Money Talks In In... 6
News Sex charges fly in Menard-Hilbert legal battle (Jun '13) Nov '13 GAURD SHACK POST2 6
More from around the web