Assessors protest at governor's office

Assessors protest at governor's office

There are 113 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Assessors protest at governor's office. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A handful of township assessors stood outside the governor's office this morning to argue their jobs should not be eliminated as part of property-tax relief packages that have been proposed before the General ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Bobby J

Evansville, IN

#1 Dec 12, 2007
"The average salary for a township assessor is $34,200," Packard said. "I don't think they're going to find many professionals who will work for that."
You get what you pay for. Why not eliminate the middle man - assessors use professionals as well.
It is an archaic and outdated system that needs to be replaced.
Indianapolis IN

Duncan, OK

#2 Dec 12, 2007
Almost all counties hire a vendor to conduct assessments, which is worked into their budget each year, because few township assessor actually do any assessing. Eliminating the 181 township assessors with a salary of $34,200 comes to $6,190,200 in taxpayer savings. I would be willing to sacrafice the jobs of 181 people to save over $6 million.
Question Man

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3 Dec 12, 2007
Instead of protesting downtown, shouldn't they be at work, working?

By working I mean randomly placing a value on my house.

Go Franklin Township!
Elphaba

Orange, VA

#4 Dec 12, 2007
Looks like the stuck pigs are already squealing.
revolt

Sarasota, FL

#5 Dec 12, 2007
if 827 township assessors do not do the job they are elected to, then why do we have them period. dixie needs to under stand that' it's just not assessors, but the whole concept of township government that needs to go. there will be a savings realized by not having any township government and the cost related to elections. if the county takes over the assessors duties, how mant 34,000 jobs will go away in each county. how many townships are there on average in each county. all she is doing is trying to kepp an out of date system so eh can keep her out of date job. they don't turn in the state required data on time anyway. when these proposals are put into place, she can go to work for the hamilton co assessor.
Hmmmm

New York, NY

#6 Dec 12, 2007
Why wouldn't eliminating these positions save money? What are these other 646 township assessors doing, if only 181 assess real estate?
Eric D

Plainfield, IN

#7 Dec 12, 2007
Well of course they do not want their jobs eleminated.

Well of course they can come up with reasons not to eleminate their jobs.

DUH

Breaking news: Indianapolis: The Sky is BLUE!!
do the math

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Dec 12, 2007
9 township assessors in Marion County times $34,200 is $307,800. Now add in the redundant staffing.

I think we could find 1 professional assessor and competent staff to replace about 80 percent of the people now working in assessors offices
just do it

Sarasota, FL

#9 Dec 12, 2007
they can protest at the governors office all they want. this is a bipartisn commission plan, nit the govenors. he can't vote of it, he can't put iti into place. it's just a publicity stunt. go back to work and do the job you were elected to do,
or start looking for a new job!!
Decatur Girl

Fishers, IN

#10 Dec 12, 2007
You tell them, Question Man! That was my exact very 1st thought when I saw the headline. Why aren't these people working today instead of protesting? Them not being needed at their workplace on a workday makes them EXPENDABLE!! Ditch the township assessors. Most of them were hired only because of who they knew, definitely not for what they knew.
abolish township govt

AOL

#11 Dec 12, 2007
I think the assessor's own quote makes clear that township assessors do nothing useful. Get rid of all of them--and the rest of township government, which serves no useful function.
Voice Of Reason

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Dec 12, 2007
Oh, for crying out loud, they can't really expect the taxpayers they saddled with ridiculus assessments to have any sympathy, can they?
UGH

Carmel, IN

#13 Dec 12, 2007
Each protesting assessor should have their pay docked for not being on the job while they were on the clock.
Better yet - FIRE THEIR USELESS BUTTS!
Bill T

Deputy, IN

#14 Dec 12, 2007
We now have the opportunity for 646 assessors to get jobs that help our economy. Great news. Lesson learned: make sure your job skills are up to date and needed in our global economy
Fontenot

Deputy, IN

#15 Dec 12, 2007
Good news man. These 646 folks will now get new jobs and I hope they contribute to the economy!
Learn to spell

United States

#16 Dec 12, 2007
revolt wrote:
if 827 township assessors do not do the job they are elected to, then why do we have them period. dixie needs to under stand that' it's just not assessors, but the whole concept of township government that needs to go. there will be a savings realized by not having any township government and the cost related to elections. if the county takes over the assessors duties, how mant 34,000 jobs will go away in each county. how many townships are there on average in each county. all she is doing is trying to kepp an out of date system so eh can keep her out of date job. they don't turn in the state required data on time anyway. when these proposals are put into place, she can go to work for the hamilton co assessor.
What is a 'mant','kepp' and an 'eh'.
Harry Hoosier

Midland, MI

#17 Dec 12, 2007
"Dixie Packard, the Clay Township assessor in Hamilton County, said she conducted a survey that revealed that of the state's 1,008 county assessors, 827 are township trustee assessors who do not perform assessments on real estate. Excluding county assessors, Packard said that leaves 181 elected township assessors who assess real estate."

Then just eliminate the townships, and the ASSessors go with them!

Time for a change - assessors time to update your resumes!! That goes for all the other township employees too!!
Learn to spell

United States

#18 Dec 12, 2007
Eric D wrote:
Well of course they do not want their jobs eleminated.
Well of course they can come up with reasons not to eleminate their jobs.
DUH
Breaking news: Indianapolis: The Sky is BLUE!!
What is an 'eleminated' and an 'eleminate'.
Shepherd

Duncan, OK

#19 Dec 12, 2007
I wrote this quote down from Chief Justice Shepherd yesterday, because you could see this sort of mindless protest coming a mile away.

“Those who have a vested interest in the status quo will oppose this (report), and you will be able to recognize them.”– Chief Justice Randall Shepherd, 12/11/07.
Learn to spell

United States

#20 Dec 12, 2007
just do it wrote:
they can protest at the governors office all they want. this is a bipartisn commission plan, nit the govenors. he can't vote of it, he can't put iti into place. it's just a publicity stunt. go back to work and do the job you were elected to do,
or start looking for a new job!!
What is a 'nit' and a 'iti'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hamilton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mosquitoes in 53 counties test positive for Wes... Aug 23 nono 2
News Man accused of severely beating wife (Sep '08) Jan '17 Dac 2
News Vigo County voter turnout third lowest in state (Dec '16) Dec '16 ron 1
Hamilton County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests R... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Vic 2
News Odor complaints flood Hamilton County, Indianap... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Lavon Affair 2
News Subway franchiser agrees to $50,000 settlement ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 1
News Star On The Ugly Hamilton County GOP Chairman Race (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lincoln Fibness 1
More from around the web