Committee Seeks to Restrict Dog Tethe...

Committee Seeks to Restrict Dog Tethering in Guilford County

There are 32 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Sep 10, 2010, titled Committee Seeks to Restrict Dog Tethering in Guilford County. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

After a dog was found abused earlier this week, a committee in Guilford County is looking to create a city ordinance that would restrict the use tethering.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
seriously

Greensboro, NC

#1 Sep 10, 2010
anyone who is going to leave a dog outside does not deserve to have a dog. even if they actually "take care" of it. My babies are spoiled rotten indoor dogs who only go out to do their business. This is getting to the ridiculous stage with all the abuse and burnings going on.
keepin it real

Holly Springs, NC

#2 Sep 10, 2010
So who is paying for this dog's thousands of dollars worth of surgery? Hopefully not my tax dollars. If my dog, who by the way lives outside all the time and loves it, were to be seriously injured in some way, my vet would recommend he be euthanized. This is getting to the ridiculous stage with all the regulations they want to put on pet ownership. I wish they would put that much energy into educating and caring for our children.
speakup2

Dobson, NC

#3 Sep 10, 2010
They should do the same to whomever it was that tied the dog..That being said, that is about the pitifullest thing that I have ever seen..Why allow this poor creature to continue suffering?
JOLENE

Lexington, NC

#4 Sep 10, 2010
keepin it real wrote:
So who is paying for this dog's thousands of dollars worth of surgery? Hopefully not my tax dollars. If my dog, who by the way lives outside all the time and loves it, were to be seriously injured in some way, my vet would recommend he be euthanized. This is getting to the ridiculous stage with all the regulations they want to put on pet ownership. I wish they would put that much energy into educating and caring for our children.
I agree with you!! not everyone can afford to fence in a yard or buy a large dog lot, but that does not mean they do not love and care for their dogs!! for years we had a dog on a chain, during the day and he slept inside at night. I thought it cruel to leave him indoors all day while I worked and he enjoyed being outdoors. he had a long run and plenty of food and shelter.
why not invest more in our children or even seniors than in a dog??
JOLENE

Lexington, NC

#5 Sep 10, 2010
seriously wrote:
anyone who is going to leave a dog outside does not deserve to have a dog. even if they actually "take care" of it. My babies are spoiled rotten indoor dogs who only go out to do their business. This is getting to the ridiculous stage with all the abuse and burnings going on.
do you have small or large dogs?? that makes a difference in leaving a dog inside all day and do you work?? can't imagine leaving my lab indoors all day from 7:30 til 5:30- he is much happier outside where he can play and be in fresh air.
my baby is well loved and taken care of. and when we get home my kids love playing outdoors with him. please don't judge others without knowing them.
Here We Go

High Point, NC

#6 Sep 10, 2010
keepin it real wrote:
Co-Sign! Finally somebody on here with some g.d. sense! We don't go around abusing dogs or any animals. In fact we love and take care of out pets. I can't stress that point enough. But this business that my damn pet comes before me or my human family is something that comes out the end of a bull. Just because I don't want to marry my dog, these people on here go ballistic!
SLF

Greensboro, NC

#7 Sep 10, 2010
keepin it real wrote:
There is a fund named after Susie, the dog who was set on fire, that helps take care of the medical bills for these abused dogs, not your tax dollars. I completely agree with your comment of more energy needs to be put into educating and caring for our children, including educating them about being responsible pet owners and if we can't or don't want to care for the animals we own, we shouldn't have them.
Peaches

Olanta, SC

#8 Sep 10, 2010
If people have to tie a dog up, they don't need one. What a terrible life. I'm all for passing the ordinance in the whole state.
Karen

Adelaide, Australia

#9 Sep 11, 2010
You should be ashamed of yourself,@ keeping it real, did this dog deserve to be treated like this by low life scumbags NO so im hoping you dont have any animals with your attitude and anyone else on here that thinks this dog doesnt deserve a second chance.
Animal Lover

High Point, NC

#10 Sep 11, 2010
to "keepin it real",....the injuries to Chamberlin was due to neglect, not a disease or an accident...you should view the utube video "Chamberlin's Story" and you will see the will to live in his eyes, yes he may be handicapped for the rest of his life, but there may be someone out there that can and wants to take care of him. After you view it, maybe you'll agree that this dog deserves a 2nd chance like "Karen" and myself. And thanks to Susie's Fund, he will get all the medical attention he needs and not a dime will come out of your pocket unless you have a change of heart and make a donation!
Emily Jones

Burlington, NC

#11 Sep 11, 2010
How can anyone be so cruel? How can we help?
Carlita

Dallas, TX

#12 Sep 11, 2010
JOLENE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you!! not everyone can afford to fence in a yard or buy a large dog lot, but that does not mean they do not love and care for their dogs!! for years we had a dog on a chain, during the day and he slept inside at night. I thought it cruel to leave him indoors all day while I worked and he enjoyed being outdoors. he had a long run and plenty of food and shelter.
why not invest more in our children or even seniors than in a dog??
Part of being a responsible animal owner IS keeping them in a safe and secure area such as a fenced in yard. Say one lives alone and is very ill one day and cannot muster the energy to walk their dog or even take them outside to 'the chain'...not too much energy in opening the door and letting the dog out OR even have a pet door installed. Another part of responsible pet ownership is Thinking Ahead of what all this animal will require to live in a happy, loving home and have lots of room to run, play and burn their energy off. A tired dog is a happy dog. NOW, as far as investing more in children's education and our seniors, we can ALWAYS write our congressman and senators and ask that they RAISE our taxes--yes, that's where a lot of our Taxes go. Animal Shelters, Animal Rescues, Transporters and the like depend mostly on private donations.
danceswithcaats

Greensboro, NC

#13 Sep 11, 2010
I agree with the proposal. If your dog must be restrained while outdoors, it should be while you are walking, playing or otherwise exercising your pet. Otherwise, why do you want the animal in the first place? Being restrained for a majority of the time diminishes the spirit of the animal and obviously results in poor health and quality of life. If you cannot keep you pet indoors with you, fine. Confinement and restraint are two different things. You can provide confinement and still allow your pet to have movement and exercise without restraining and starving it. Doing this means you are making a choice to be cruel and abusive.
Carlita

Dallas, TX

#15 Sep 11, 2010
Here's Chamberlin after being rescued. After all he's been thru, that tail just doesn't stop wagging! I hope God in Heaven forgives us as readily as dogs do.
Youhaventaclue

Kenly, NC

#16 Sep 11, 2010
For those of you who believe everything you see on the news, here's one for you.... I know from proof that this dog was not even tethered when it was found. The story that is being told is not true. He is not a "lab mix" he's a pit bull mix, but the shelter doesn't deal with pits, so they have to call him something other than what he is. If you people even knew half of the truth, you wouldn't be so condescending, Yes it's horrible what has happened to him, but what is being told is not the whole truth.
Trisha

East Bend, NC

#17 Sep 12, 2010
Thank God~! It's about time we started making laws that force people to be what we should be without laws.... HUMANE!
Trisha

East Bend, NC

#18 Sep 12, 2010
Here We Go wrote:
<quoted text>Co-Sign! Finally somebody on here with some g.d. sense! We don't go around abusing dogs or any animals. In fact we love and take care of out pets. I can't stress that point enough. But this business that my damn pet comes before me or my human family is something that comes out the end of a bull. Just because I don't want to marry my dog, these people on here go ballistic!
There is a difference in not treating a dog like a human, and keeping it on a chain 24/7. This dog was totally forgotten about due to the fact that it was tethered, and the result is totally inhumane treatment of an animal that had no choice in how it was being treated. Tethering laws don't usually prohibit tethering, but instead put a limit as to how long in a day an animal can be tethered. If you "love" and "take care" of your pet, you would know that it is cruel to keep it tethered all the time. It's no different than saying 'we care about a person, so we keep him/her in his/her room all the time and don't let her go out because we care about safety, but we go into the room with him/her for about 5 minutes a day and give him/her plenty of food and water.' That's not care or love, it's merely providing you with a clean conscious by believing you're taking care of the pet, while you live your life without having to be bothered with treating the dog humanely. Most people who treat their pets this way are also the ones who disregard the elderly because it's too much of a hassle to give them the care that they deserve.
Sara

Biscoe, NC

#19 Sep 12, 2010
We need more Timothy Hartnetts in our world! Thank you, Mr. Hartnett. And thank you, Marsha Williams, for all that you do.
Diasamax

East Bend, NC

#20 Sep 12, 2010
This is basic common sense. Not all people deserve to own a dog. Some people are not even capable of taking care of themselves yet keep a family pet in unhealthy conditions.

And not every person who has their dog on a tie out or chained is irresponsible. Not everyone can afford fencing (metal or electronic), which does not make you an irresponsible person. People need to use common sense and understand that not every situation is the same. Some breeds do better outside then indoors, and if you work it does not make sense to keep a dog indoors for up to 9 or 10 hours. There is big difference to giving a pet only 10 feet or less of cable/chain around a tree, than having a pet on 30 feet or more with full roam of that space and access to shade, water and insulated dog house.
Eddie

Mooresville, NC

#21 Sep 12, 2010
Sara wrote:
We need more Timothy Hartnetts in our world! Thank you, Mr. Hartnett. And thank you, Marsha Williams, for all that you do.
Marsha Williams does nothjing except boss the hard workers around and get paid a bloated salary. And eat. Alot...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Guilford County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Re... Sep '16 Lucy 2
News North Carolina lawmakers leave LGBT law largely... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Sneaky Pete 2
News NC shelter where 2,000 animals are unaccounted ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANICE 2
News Man says he was wrongfully arrested, sues Boone (Jan '16) Jan '16 Bob 1
News Guilford County animal shelter reopens after in... (Aug '15) Sep '15 axhole 2
News Guilford County speech teacher charged with sex... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Spotted Girl 1
News State Rep. Stam criticized for Pedophilia remarks (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dr Reker s Bellhop 2
More from around the web