Animal Advocates Canvass for Susie

Animal Advocates Canvass for Susie

There are 18 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Mar 14, 2010, titled Animal Advocates Canvass for Susie. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

Animal advocates canvassed Guilford County Sunday in support of tougher animal cruelty laws in honor of Susie, a dog who was found in a park after a man severely burned and beat her.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

Angry in Alamance county

Lexington, NC

#1 Mar 14, 2010
We definitely need tougher laws to protect animals in NC. Animal vicitms have no protection other than the citizens of this state and this country. Also, it has been shown repeatedly that people who abuse animals have a higher incidence of violence toward other people. We need to put these violent offenders behind bars for longer terms to prevent further violence by them, and to make a statement to other would-be offenders. Additionally, I think that the personal property of the offender (cars, boats, etc. )should be taken and sold to help pay the medical bills for these animal victims. If this had been the case in the Michael Vick case, imagine how much good could have come from the profits from the sale of his estate and other personal property.
Geraldine

Greensboro, NC

#2 Mar 14, 2010
I am at a lose for words, that don't happen often. There should be a law to punish people to the hilt!!! Animals have feeling as well as we do. If a person harms an animal( dog or cat) he or she should have to pay a big fine and go to jail for a very long time!!!!! This sentence for Whitehead is by far to light, they should have thrown the book at him. His day will come.
Dwayne Burchett

High Point, NC

#3 Mar 15, 2010
A person that will do something like that to anything need to be watched for a long time.
Marilyn Shouse

Landrum, SC

#4 Mar 15, 2010
I do not need for my post to appear, I just need help to find out how I can HELP. I am a animal lover through and through and agree that NC needs to realize that animals are not personal property. They have feelings just like humans, they hurt, they cry, they are like small children. I live in a house with 4 dogs, 3 are rescued and I will fight to my death for these wonderful creatures.

I live in Stokes County where they could care less about the animals. Please get me in touch so that I can help.

Thanks
Stefanie Milroy

Asheboro, NC

#5 Mar 15, 2010
Thank you for your support! Fox 8's coverage was amazing. We need people to send letters to their legislators and to pass out these letters to everyone they know.
Please email me at [email protected] for more information on how you can help.
NCVAW

Walkertown, NC

#6 Mar 15, 2010
Marilyn Shouse wrote:
I do not need for my post to appear, I just need help to find out how I can HELP. I am a animal lover through and through and agree that NC needs to realize that animals are not personal property. They have feelings just like humans, they hurt, they cry, they are like small children. I live in a house with 4 dogs, 3 are rescued and I will fight to my death for these wonderful creatures.
I live in Stokes County where they could care less about the animals. Please get me in touch so that I can help.
Thanks
Marilyn, if you, or anyone else wants to help improve the laws for our state's animals, please go to this website: www.ncvaw.org .
This is a group of people, across the state who work legislatively to make life better for all of N.C.'s animals! This is a proven and effective way to help. We need all of you people to help us!
YOU can make a difference and the animals will thank you. So will your heart!
donny

Greensboro, NC

#7 Mar 16, 2010
Join us to get better laws for animals in N.C.
NORTH CAROLINA VOTERS for ANIMAL WELFARE
http://ncvaw.org
Nadine Rumley

Asheboro, NC

#8 Mar 16, 2010
anyone that would do this to an animal needs to be in prison, animals are like humans we are all Gods creatures..
Animal Rights Are WRONG

Eden, NC

#9 Mar 18, 2010
Having worked first-hand with animals for over twelve years,I have unfortunately seen many cases of animal negligence, cruelty,& abuse. Watching Susie's story on Fox8 News tonight reminded me of many dogs (& other animals), I have seen that have survived similar attacks. I have previously worked as a Shelter Attendant in a local animal shelter here in the Triad.The animal cruelty laws in our state-&, in my opinion, our entire country-are in desperate need of immediate revision. These laws need to focus on the cruel&heinous acts committed against animals by human beings, who posses logical and rational thought. Animals, that are also living beings, do not have the ability to reason or use logic and rational thinking to make decisions. Therefore, the animals are innocent creatures. In Susie's case, a very brutal physical and psychological attack that caused her an unimaginable amount of pain, has gone unpunished. In our country, we will most likely not ever have identical laws and sentences for crimes committed against humans vs animals. However, we need to strengthen the animal cruelty laws so that offenders are convicted for more than destruction of property. While we may be pet "owners", our pets, and other animals (stray animals, wildlife, etc.), are living creatures. They are wonderful companions:Seeing-eye-dogs, aid dogs, rescue dogs, police dogs, cadaver dogs, etc. Animals need to be respected and cared for by us, the humans. The cycle of animal abuse is only perpetuated when offenders receive a slap on the wrist in a court of law:Fines, probation, community service, or minimal jail time. I would rather have my tax-paying-dollars being used to house animal abusers in jails and prisons, as opposed to confining non-violent marijuana offenders who have pets at home that they love&care for very much. Think about it. Our society and culture is one that is pet-friendly and animal-loving. We have many programs dedicated towards animal training, wildlife education, animal cops, etc. However, people like Michael Vick (who, granted, has tons of money,&we all know money&celebrity can help you get away with murder in our country), is convicted,then serves very minimal jail time,&shortly after being released,gets another high-paying contract with the NFL. Now, if you owned a company,&one of your employees committed the crimes Michael Vick did,would you rehire him?NO!If you owned multiple franchises of a restaurant,for instance,would you allow any of the managers at any of your restaurants hire him after those convictions?NO!However,in the USA,entertainment&sports are huge industries that make a lot of money. We need to reevaluate our priorities, our morals,&our values. We need to recognize animals are not property.My car is property.If I beat it or set it on fire, it feels no pain. Animals do. Abuse, cruelty, neglect, or any violent acts against animals should not be tolerated. The laws to protect these animals need to be greatly strengthened and they need to carry much heavier sentences. How many more animals will have to suffer the horrific acts that Susie experienced before we make real changes? I will continue to help animals in any&every way I can,each&every day I am alive. I hope others will do the same,&stand up to law-makers until we have laws in place that punish convicted animal abusers appropriately. Animal cruelty must be stopped. It MUST be stopped!
Julia Bullock

Gastonia, NC

#10 Mar 19, 2010
My feelings about Susie is very hard to put into words. Imagining the fear and trauma she felt as this man literally tried to beat and burn her to death is outstanding. For her to have even been found alive is a miracle but it is also a miracle that she could even have a love of humans after one of them nearly destroyed her. It is amazing what a capacity this tiny dog has for forgiveness in her heart, we could all learn a little something from this animal. And her owner as well. She has poured her heart and soul into providing the best life possible for Susie and trying to raise awareness about a terrible epidemic that is plaguing our world today. Together they have never given up and never backed down and I hold more respect and love in my heart for the two of them than can even be put into words.

I have sent Senator Forrester a formal letter but after reading his voting history I feel it was in vain. He has voted against every motion that came his way that was to do with animal welfare and reform.

The condition and state of mind that mankind has today is bleak and grim but occasionally you find someone or something that gives you tiny glimmers of hope for a better future. Susie and her remarkable plight to change the way people view animal cruelty and to hold people accountable for their actions while showing nothing but love and dignity shines bright and the sea of darkness and sadness that we witness daily, just by turning on the evening news.
Charles

Angier, NC

#11 Mar 29, 2010
I understand Mr. Whitehead did this because Susie was licking his baby. It is fearful for me that people like this are reproducing. I'm thinking we need to take a tip from MADD - DUI's do not get off with a slap on the wrist because of their presence in the court rooms. This judge has rocks in his head (and heart).
chowsky

Walkertown, NC

#12 Mar 29, 2010
I agree with you Charles, but we are working to make animal abuse a higher felony in order for longer jail terms to be a choice for these 'rejects of society' like Whitehead. You can help by going here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Susies-Law/4034... #!/pages/Susies-Law/4034337471 83?v=wall
Charles wrote:
I understand Mr. Whitehead did this because Susie was licking his baby. It is fearful for me that people like this are reproducing. I'm thinking we need to take a tip from MADD - DUI's do not get off with a slap on the wrist because of their presence in the court rooms. This judge has rocks in his head (and heart).
Jill Jarrell

Kernersville, NC

#13 Apr 2, 2010
There are places for people like Lashawn Whitehead!!! Far worse than Hell!!!
In my opinion this!!! guy (to be polite) belongs in the electric chair!!!
Gods innocent creatures don't have a voice!!! We are their voices!!!
Does the word Humanity mean anything!!!
I am an animal activist and you have my support!!!!
God bless those people that care!!!
We must Support and Enforce greater penalties such as jail sentencing not probation!!!
This Torture to Susie
Robyn

Eddyville, KY

#14 Apr 5, 2010
Anyone that can do this is a very sick person and needs to sit in jail for a long time - not 6-8 months. Actually this guy needed to be taken out and beaten and burnt just like the dog. He can see what it's like to feel the pain he put that poor dog through. An innocent sweet dog.
Honest Man

Montgomery, AL

#15 Apr 6, 2010
I have already sent a donation in the amount of $5,000. I urge you all to contribute what you can. I know you may not be as well off as myself, but try to dig deep. Its for the puppies!
Evelyn Foxx

Bethania, NC

#16 Apr 6, 2010
I hope that everyone will support stiff sentences for people that are cruel to animals. This was a horrible, cruel act. Jail is too good for him. He needs to be on the grill.
Jane in Thomasville

High Point, NC

#17 Apr 7, 2010
Hurrah! Susie's Law was passed! Hopefully the next Lashawn Whitehead will not get away with a slap on the wrist. He should have been jailed. Remember his name folks, because there's no telling what horrors he'll commit next. I hope LASHAWN WHITEHEAD is very ashamed, but I doubt that he is. GOOD LUCK TO SUSIE - SHE'S A SPECIAL GIRL!
Melissa

Burlington, NC

#18 Apr 9, 2010
People who have beaten animals should go to jail for LIFE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guilford County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NC shelter where 2,000 animals are unaccounted ... Feb '16 JANICE 2
News Man says he was wrongfully arrested, sues Boone Jan '16 Bob 1
News Guilford County animal shelter reopens after in... (Aug '15) Sep '15 axhole 2
News Guilford County speech teacher charged with sex... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Spotted Girl 1
News State Rep. Stam criticized for Pedophilia remarks (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dr Reker s Bellhop 2
News Guilford County Schools ice storm make up day p... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Carrie 1
News New Cone Health pediatric practice to target lo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Jackie 1
More from around the web