Teen dies in Greer County crash

Dec 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Tulsa World

MANGUM a ' A 13-year-old girl has been killed in a one-car crash near Mangum and authorities say alcohol may have played a role in the accident.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
BETH

Shawnee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2009

I HOPE AND PRAY THE LORD IS WITH THIS MOTHER AND ALL INVOLED,I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND THE PAIN THAT AN ACCIDENT LIKE THIS CAUSES FOR ALL AND EVEN THE ONES LEFT ALIVE AT THE END STILL SUFFER A LIFE OF HELL ON EARTH. I HOPE ALL WHO POST A COMMENT WILL PRAY FOR ALL PARTIES AND NO I DO NOT KNOW ANY OF THEM.
bj ditmore

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

sierra i love and hope to see you in heaven someday love your best friend in the world bj
Just Another Okie

Altus, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

I personally know how deep a loss this is to a family. I lost a 5 year old daughter back in 1976 and its almost as if, it was yesterday. The pain and suffering one undergoes will never go away, but it is something that one must learn to live with. Once you have lost a child, you never ever seem to look at life, the same as you did before.
Brian Whatcott

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

When I hear of a teen (or any) road death, my thoughts spring to speed and seatbelts.
Faster means deadlier in a crash, no doubt.
And no seat belts means a better chance of serious injury. But I saw this topic through the other end of the telescope, this week. I was pulled over just north of Altus, while wearing a seat belt, and charged with not wearing a seat-belt, on the basis that the highway patrol man had been heading north some minutes earlier, and saw me without.
I am not an angel in this area - in fact I had paid perhaps two tickets for no seat belts in the last fifteen years, but this time I WAS wearing a seat belt when signalled to pull over.
So I felt righteous.(Hah!)
I would not sign a nolo contendere ticket (as I thought of it) this time. The patrolman arrested me, put handcuffs on, called a tow service for my SUV and drove me to jail, where my wife bailed me out an hour or two later.
So now, I am a criminal - of sorts.
The bail was the same as the fine - but there was the little matter of the impounding of my SUV overnight for a 2 mile tow.
$120. Enough to split two ways, as it seemed to me.There is room for corruption in this arrangement.
Moral: when faced with a patrol man, ESPECIALLY a newly minted patrol man, don't get righteous. Just comply. Else you too will be reading
a Police Activity entry in the local paper.
"Man, aged 68, arrested for not wearing seat-belt."

:-)

Brian W

Since: Aug 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

I remember driving north on Lousiaina street right in front of the police dept when the highway patrol that lived there atthe time whipped around in the middle of the street (in front of Traffic) and followed me--I ahd turned left onto Jefferson street and had traveled half a block when he threw his light on me---got out and asked me why Ididnt have myseat belt on---I toldhim "I do" and hooked my thumb under my waist belt to show him--he told me that wasnt good enough, thatI had to have the shoulder belt on also---I truly did not realize that, but he had no mercy--gave me a ticket and was quite rude while doing it...Thankfully that OHP officer is no longer in Mangum--he is now a big OHP officer with the OKLA DOT,so he can now be rude to truckers. I paid my fine later that week--I certainly did not argue with him---but to this day think his attiude was absolutely not professinal and very rude. His professional job change and subsequent move was Mangums gain!!!!!!
Melissa

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Brian Whatcott wrote:
When I hear of a teen (or any) road death, my thoughts spring to speed and seatbelts.
Faster means deadlier in a crash, no doubt.
And no seat belts means a better chance of serious injury. But I saw this topic through the other end of the telescope, this week. I was pulled over just north of Altus, while wearing a seat belt, and charged with not wearing a seat-belt, on the basis that the highway patrol man had been heading north some minutes earlier, and saw me without.
I am not an angel in this area - in fact I had paid perhaps two tickets for no seat belts in the last fifteen years, but this time I WAS wearing a seat belt when signalled to pull over.
So I felt righteous.(Hah!)
I would not sign a nolo contendere ticket (as I thought of it) this time. The patrolman arrested me, put handcuffs on, called a tow service for my SUV and drove me to jail, where my wife bailed me out an hour or two later.
So now, I am a criminal - of sorts.
The bail was the same as the fine - but there was the little matter of the impounding of my SUV overnight for a 2 mile tow.
$120. Enough to split two ways, as it seemed to me.There is room for corruption in this arrangement.
Moral: when faced with a patrol man, ESPECIALLY a newly minted patrol man, don't get righteous. Just comply. Else you too will be reading
a Police Activity entry in the local paper.
"Man, aged 68, arrested for not wearing seat-belt."
:-)
Brian W

I realize that seat belts play a huge role in Fatal accidents. Add a Drunk Driver to the mix and it could have been Deadly for all four in the truck that night. Wish this young man would realize what he has done to our family. The Words "I'm Sorry" has never crossed his lips in our presents. Nor does he show it with his attitude, or his actions around our family or in this town. Still Partying and been caught in situations with alcohol. My hopes were that the kids in this town would learn how deadly it was that night. I realize now that without him admitting his wrong and stepping up to help reach his peers in this town we won't get anywhere. I just pray to Our Sweet Lord above that it doesn't take losing anyone else in this community to make them realize how senseless drinking and driving is.
I Love and Miss Angel Eyes!
had enough

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

melissa i do understand you are upset but you have no idea how sorry this young man is. trust me when i say this, you really honestly need to look in your own back yard before you start looking in someone elses because this underage drinking you are trying so hard to fight is right under your nose....open your eyes.
Melissa

Tahlequah, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

had enough wrote:
melissa i do understand you are upset but you have no idea how sorry this young man is. trust me when i say this, you really honestly need to look in your own back yard before you start looking in someone elses because this underage drinking you are trying so hard to fight is right under your nose....open your eyes.
I have my eyes wide open.... I know that in my own back yard,(my kids)there isn't underage drinking going on. I have no control over children that do not live in my house or under my rules. If this young man and his family are truly as sorry for our loss, then they should show it. Just a simple "I'm sorry", that comes from his heart, that would help her mom and the rest of the family heal.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2010

Judged:

I know for a fact that there are other things going on in your household. Yes this is a small town and people talk, but I will tell you this, Big Sister is watching and your children are not perfect by no means. Just the same as mine are not. I am first hand witness to this and I believe people need to clean out their own closet before they start cleaning anyone else's out.
Proud Mary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

Melissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that seat belts play a huge role in Fatal accidents. Add a Drunk Driver to the mix and it could have been Deadly for all four in the truck that night. Wish this young man would realize what he has done to our family. The Words "I'm Sorry" has never crossed his lips in our presents. Nor does he show it with his attitude, or his actions around our family or in this town. Still Partying and been caught in situations with alcohol. My hopes were that the kids in this town would learn how deadly it was that night. I realize now that without him admitting his wrong and stepping up to help reach his peers in this town we won't get anywhere. I just pray to Our Sweet Lord above that it doesn't take losing anyone else in this community to make them realize how senseless drinking and driving is.
I Love and Miss Angel Eyes!
I am sorry to hear the young man has not made a formal apology .Although sorry won't bring her back it would DEFINATELY help the friends and family to cope with the tradgedy.Hope he also apoligizes to the Lord for what he did people should be responsible and held accountable or it history will most likely repeat itself.
Proud Mary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

had enough wrote:
No she doesn't know "How sorry this young man is" as she stated he hasn't said -Hey I'm sooo sorry I wish I could change it or take it back.If you know how sorry he is why doesn't the family get to see how he is sorry?BTW before you jump on the family becauz of my post please know that I do not know either one of yall and I do not live there I do have relatives there and have stayed for short periods so don't take it out on them becuz of my outspokeness -seems they are suffering enuff!
Proud Mary

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

DawnDawn wrote:
I know for a fact that there are other things going on in your household. Yes this is a small town and people talk, but I will tell you this, Big Sister is watching and your children are not perfect by no means. Just the same as mine are not. I am first hand witness to this and I believe people need to clean out their own closet before they start cleaning anyone else's out.
Hey stupid take your OWN advice!How in the hell can you tell this person not to talk about a person that has done what he did.Then PROCEED to start cleaning her closet???Saying you know this and that?Mind Your Own business If you have any.Telling her big sis is watching?All kids make mistakes .Do you actually know any perfect angels?Have this persons kids drive drunk and kill young people? Just curious
Melissa

Elk City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Thank you Mary.
No my kids have not made any mistakes that will or have killed anyone. This is a small town and I realize people talk. My son has made a mistake but his life is going to be a struggle but that is no one elses business. And you know why it is not your business......Because he has not put your life or anyone in this communities life in danger. I am the first one to stand up and admit my wrong!I was a young mother and now my son will be a 17 year old with a child. But this has nothing to compare to KILLING OR MURDERING a young lady. You are ignorant!
renee

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

haha see first nobodys kids are "perfect" and if anything nobody should be talkin bout her kids. and her kids arent drinkin and driving now are they? no! so keep her kids out of your mouth with something you dont know about. i think its best(:
renee

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

and i know for a fact anyone whats to run there mouth about anyones kids they will have a pissed off mom at there door step!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Proud Mary wrote:
<quoted text>Hey stupid take your OWN advice!How in the hell can you tell this person not to talk about a person that has done what he did.Then PROCEED to start cleaning her closet???Saying you know this and that?Mind Your Own business If you have any.Telling her big sis is watching?All kids make mistakes .Do you actually know any perfect angels?Have this persons kids drive drunk and kill young people? Just curious
Noone cleaned out her closet she cleaned it out her self, but not my doing, I was just pointing out that maybe before you talk about other people's kids, you should think about what yours are doing. I was just stating there are several things I know but I do not get on my soapbox about it, I know Sierra's family is suffering from her death, but has anyone stopped to think the kid that was driving, is suffering as well because this is something he has to live with the rest of his life, he is grieving in his own way, I will not fail to mention they was friends as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Melissa wrote:
Thank you Mary.
No my kids have not made any mistakes that will or have killed anyone. This is a small town and I realize people talk. My son has made a mistake but his life is going to be a struggle but that is no one elses business. And you know why it is not your business......Because he has not put your life or anyone in this communities life in danger. I am the first one to stand up and admit my wrong!I was a young mother and now my son will be a 17 year old with a child. But this has nothing to compare to KILLING OR MURDERING a young lady. You are ignorant!
You can not speak for what your children will do after they leave home when they are grown, so do not say they will not kill anyone. I agree that your kids lives are not anyone else's business so take your own advice there. Because maybe this is something his family is thinking.
renee

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

and if anything you should take your own advice and think bout you own kids lady. nobody said trent wasnt suffering. but none of this seems to be your business. so back off! just take care or YOUR OWN KIDS! if you wanna be telling people that.
renee

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

melissa lost some one very dear to her. so before you open your mouth again why dont you think what if someone that was drinking and driving killed one of your kids. so get over it melissa can say what she wants.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

renee wrote:
and if anything you should take your own advice and think bout you own kids lady. nobody said trent wasnt suffering. but none of this seems to be your business. so back off! just take care or YOUR OWN KIDS! if you wanna be telling people that.
I never said it was my business but I was just speaking for myself and I have thought about myself in both families place and I know it would be very hard to lose a child, but I know its hard to see your child suffering too from a decision he or she made that makes a life changing experience. I never said melissa can't say what she wants, because it is freedom of speech. I do take care of my kids and my nieces and nephews, and other people's kids who I treat like mine. Because one thing it does take when raising a child in this day and time is a community, if someone sees my child doing something he or she is not supposed to I would greatly appreciate it if someone tells them if you do not stop i will tell your parents because it is looking out for the best of my child, and Renee when you or if you have a child of your own then you can appreciate this. Because if you do not know what your child is doing then thanks be to god someone does know. Because once your children are teenagers and you have some trust in your children and you let them go where they want or not go where you think they shouldn't be then at least someone is watching. I do know kids will be kids, that a given it was not long ago i was a kid. But thats what opens my eyes to what my children may get into.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greer County Discussions

Search the Greer County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Altus girl in critical condition after near dro... Jul 1 YOUR ANNOYING!!! 3
Caley (Feb '12) Mar '12 J Watkins 2
Judge won't dismiss judge for Okla. warden's wife (Oct '11) Oct '11 OKLA 1
Trial date postponed for former Oklahoma warden... (May '11) May '11 Cherokee 1
Inmate Escapes From Greer Country Jail (Nov '10) Nov '10 Let-U-Tell-It 1
New evidence postpones trial for warden's wife (Sep '10) Sep '10 Mom 5
Mangum woman pinned in accident (Sep '10) Sep '10 Amn Lockhart 1
•••
•••