Mission Outreach of Paragould

Aug 11, 2008 Full story: Paragould Daily Press 117

Mission Outreach of Paragould is on a mission to raise more funding for services.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
LavaGirl

Paragould, AR

#1 Aug 12, 2008
I got sick every time I ate there
DUH

Paragould, AR

#2 Aug 12, 2008
then why did you continue to eat there

Walls, MS

#3 Aug 13, 2008
You know I had some really nice clothes that I wanted to give to the mission bc I had grown out of them and they told me they no longer accept donations. If they have to much stuff then why not take what people give them and 2 or 3 times a year have a big sale to raise money?
silverado_mamma

Paragould, AR

#4 Aug 17, 2008
The mission could better help people if the people that works there would stop helping them selfes first.I know first hand there were times they recieved descent food from stores like pizza etc.. and workers would take the good stuff home with them and the same went with the furniture and clothing and also i have seen the people working in the kitchen that were lucky if they were able to get a bite of what they cooked before it was all gone.That place needs monitored.
been there

Kennett, MO

#5 Aug 18, 2008
i had the hardest time living there if it would not had been for my childrens sake i would have slept under the bridge there by it all that silverado_momma has said is the truth and there is more to the story than what she has said if u are ever in a situation where u become homeless i would suggest a different mission or shelter and the thing that really bothered me the most is the staff there our workers at the desk were awesome did everything for us they could but the office workers? they sat there and ate and drank food that was donated for our babies instead of helping us how cold hearted can u get? MISSION OUTREACH IN PARAGOULD ARKANSAS NEEDS TO BE EVALUATED BY THE CITY AND GOVERMENT FOR ALL THE HATRED AND STEALING THAT THEY DO by the way ive made good 4 my children we are happy and have a good home no thanks 2 the mission hey momma were you a house mom in the women w/ children and single womens house? i cant mention names i know but i would love 2 find her can ya leave a hint if this is u? everyone called her mom
been there

Kennett, MO

#6 Aug 18, 2008
hey guest im not sure of why they did that 4 hatred is what i will tell you from my own experience they are awful people
been there

Kennett, MO

#7 Aug 18, 2008
lavagirl and duh HAVE U EVER HEARD OF HUNGARY? NO? THEN SHUT UP!!!
silverado_mamma

Paragould, AR

#8 Aug 19, 2008
Sorry Im not the one your looking for Ive never stayed at the mission I just had family that did and family that volentered.
FYI

Walls, MS

#9 Aug 19, 2008
LavaGirl wrote:
I got sick every time I ate there
Then get a job and stop eating there..Duh..
no name

Paragould, AR

#10 Aug 20, 2008
Mission Outreach does a good job of housing the homeless, feeding the hungry, and caring for the sick with the resources they have.
been there

Kennett, MO

#11 Aug 20, 2008
hey no name till ya been there dont say what they do and if u have been there can u please tell me how you were treated w/ respect? LIKE A HUMAN BEING SHOULD BE. ID LOVE 2 HAND OUT FLYERS AT THE DOOR OF WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT 2.
Fed up

Paragould, AR

#12 Aug 20, 2008
Keep in mind, Im just speaking my opinion, the mission is suppose to be a shelter that is temporary, right? I dont understand how we can read adds in the paper about how they are over crowded and dont have any room therefore a man dies sleeeping outdoors? Well, if they would kick some out that wanna stay forever maybe they would have room! I personally know a girl that has been there for over a year! Her husband is in rehab and she has gotten pregnant and had another child while still living there? Whats up with that? Cant she get HUD or Section 8? Times up free loader! You know who you are!
toymonkey

Little Rock, AR

#13 Aug 20, 2008
thre only so much you can do . some people will take and take . there a reason why they cant take clothes. one they ran out of room to put it all. and there was stuffs drop off that needed to be put in the trash. the food thing , just maybe it didnt make you sick could of been a 100 of things . i have never seen the office people eat pizza or other food in front of any one . if more people would help we might be able to get it clean up over there , and quess what that take is MONEY. and that not free and no one gives it away. maybe just 1 day a month you went out there and help. and 30 pepole did it , there would be all kinds of changing going on .
homeless hero

Paragould, AR

#14 Aug 20, 2008
hmmmmmm point taken,this isn't fair though,the homeless ppl don't have computers to respond.I think some of the workers on here hate the homeless ppl because deep down they think they r lazy bums or something,and u take it upon yourself to judge on who deserves to stay there or not.As far as pinching the good stuff off the donations,thats just bull sh!t,sounds like ya need to b a lot more professional,or watched.
Mary Had a Little Lamb

Paragould, AR

#15 Aug 20, 2008
I served on the board at the mission for 3 years, I can tell you first hand, the Mission will help anyone whom help their self. We have alot of ppl in Paragould, elderly, disabled etc. who live on fixed incomes who eat at the mission b/c they have to make a choice of medicine or food. Ppl who loose everything in a fire, loose their jobs, get ill and loose thier insurance and job, etc. Yes there are ppl who take advantage. Ppl that come and try to start trouble, or don't follow the rules, they won't be there long. The rules to some seem ridiculous, but they have to be strict when you are dealing with 85 ppl and children.

Their are alot of things that could be changed, I agree, but they do the best they can do with very little help, I agree with Toymonkey, The more volunteers we get the more we can get done. but we are doing the best we can, Those that complain are useally those that didn't appreciate what help they got. Wheither it be a meal, a roof over there head, and a safe place to get back on their feet. But most ppl are very apprecitive of the help. The Mission says that you have to get a job within a week of moving in or you have to leave. Some ppl think that is being mean, but it is for their own good, The Mission doesn't recieve a dine, they put 75% of their earning in a savings for them to begin a second start. I can't imagine what it would be like without the mission, where would ppl go or do. I have met a lot of ppl and work alot of ppl from the mission, I have found that they are not bad ppl they have just had bad things happen to them.
Fed up

Paragould, AR

#16 Aug 20, 2008
So are you saying that the certain someone who works there has butt loads of money in a savings account? She has lived there since her toddler was a newborn and she has had another baby recently. She has worked at daycares and nursing homes so I know if 75% of her check goes into savings each week, my gosh, she prolly has a ton of money! When does it ever become time to go? I've never received help from the mission and I've never asked for it either so I'm not speaking out of revenge or anything. I do live in low income housing therefore I do have to pay my way based on my income. Why shouldn't she have to pay her way as well? Her pic gets put in the paper as a happy resident, prolly because its a free ride! Its time to get the long timers out so others can get help! HUD and Section 8 are both great options!
Mary Had a Little Lamb

Paragould, AR

#17 Aug 20, 2008
You can stay for up to 2 years, as long as you follow the rules, have a job, and r working on any problems that will help you to become independant. There are programs that help you learn basic living skills, cooking, finances, etc.
You would be surprised at the ppl who have not been taught basic living skills.
seriously

Paragould, AR

#18 Aug 21, 2008
I believe I know the one you are talking about..and do you realize that they have to pay rent? there is some housing that will help you get situated FIRST before you get a bed then kicked you out and you get trapped in the vicious circle.. I agree, some things need to be looked at, worked out and helped along... but as long as we sit back run our mouths...complain and judge and DO NOTHING ...this is what you have....
I understand it is hard..but we do have those that just want it FREE .. this young mother is not one of them... she is just like most, she tries a lil, gets defeated,... and its harder each time to pick yourself up.. if she fails its because rejection and failure has been what is shown and taught to her much of her life....
i think she is a decent woman.. and her babies are precious.. and I for one will continue to help her, love her, pray for her and direct her...and if she falls i will give her my hand to help her up ...and encourage her to try again
as for all the gripes.. if you stayed there..go back and volunteer..help someone else by YOUR experiences you can make a difference..
if you sit comfortably by your keyboard and just judge and complain... try giving
it makes you happy
Fed up wrote:
Keep in mind, Im just speaking my opinion, the mission is suppose to be a shelter that is temporary, right? I dont understand how we can read adds in the paper about how they are over crowded and dont have any room therefore a man dies sleeeping outdoors? Well, if they would kick some out that wanna stay forever maybe they would have room! I personally know a girl that has been there for over a year! Her husband is in rehab and she has gotten pregnant and had another child while still living there? Whats up with that? Cant she get HUD or Section 8? Times up free loader! You know who you are!
I Know

Paragould, AR

#19 Aug 21, 2008
It is refreshing to hear someone encourage. It is much easier to sit and complain but to do something positive that is what will change the world..one life at a time.
seriously

Paragould, AR

#20 Aug 21, 2008
I agree...

I havent YET.. volunteered but I am going to ...
toymonkey wrote:
thre only so much you can do . some people will take and take . there a reason why they cant take clothes. one they ran out of room to put it all. and there was stuffs drop off that needed to be put in the trash. the food thing , just maybe it didnt make you sick could of been a 100 of things . i have never seen the office people eat pizza or other food in front of any one . if more people would help we might be able to get it clean up over there , and quess what that take is MONEY. and that not free and no one gives it away. maybe just 1 day a month you went out there and help. and 30 pepole did it , there would be all kinds of changing going on .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greene County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JPD releases audio interview with Chavis Carter... (Sep '12) Dec 4 autumn hopkins 16
Greene County Music Thread (May '13) Oct '14 Musikologist 6
Greene County Jail to be operational this month Aug '14 Guest 2
Mission Outreach feeds more children during sum... Jul '14 guest 12
Greene Co. man stuck in grain bin for hours Jul '14 Oh No 7
Marmaduke Man Wins $1M with Lottery Scratchoff ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 guest 1
Paragould Man Gets 2 Life Sentences and More fo... (Nov '13) Nov '13 andrew 1
More from around the web