Amish buggies to remain without orange reflectors

There are 21 comments on the Grayson News Gazette story from Apr 27, 2011, titled Amish buggies to remain without orange reflectors. In it, Grayson News Gazette reports that:

The familiar Amish horse and buggy parked outside the Grayson County Courthouse was an interesting sight on Thursday morning April 21.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Grayson News Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Atheist

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Apr 27, 2011
Reflectors are SATANIC!
ahaha

Gradyville, KY

#2 Apr 27, 2011
Just run over the f**kers!
No excuse

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Apr 27, 2011
Unless the Amish can also show that their religion somehow requires them to operate buggies on a roadway, then religion is no excuse. There is a legal requirement for the SMV emblem, if one operates a slow moving vehicle on the road, but as far as I know walking is legal without one.

So if your religion prohibits following the SMV requirement, then walk. After a few miles, your interpretation of the Scriptures will probably change.
Perhaps

Rineyville, KY

#4 Apr 27, 2011
I would like to research this more. Why or how does it interfere with the Amish religious beliefs? If it can protect my family, who might be riding in the buggy with me, why would I not want to have a safety sign? It's kind of like seatbelts. Back in the 70s and early 80s I probably never wore a seatbelt. But, once you make it a habit it's so easy to do and protects you. Just my two cents.
Mindset

Lubbock, TX

#5 Apr 27, 2011
A man is in hell with another man. The first man asks why the other man is in hell.

"I raped and murdered five women."

And then the other man asks why that man is in hell.

"I put reflectors on the back of my buggy."
Amish Elli

Gradyville, KY

#7 Apr 29, 2011
This is just another example of how the Amish do not think they should be able to obide by the law.
look

Kodak, TN

#8 Apr 30, 2011
When are the Amish usually out on the road? in broad daylight... IVE NEVER seen a horse and buggy out on the road late at night. Have you? besides if you dumb asses would slow the hell down and pay attention the road and not your cellphone they wouldn't be in danger...
yeppp

United States

#9 Apr 30, 2011
I work second shift. I was driving home from work last week on a curvy road. I pooped up over a hill, and could BARELY see something. It scared me. I slowed down and it was an amish buggy. This particular buggy had some small reflectors placed on it. Granted, I was on the other side of the road. However, if I had came up behind them, I probably would have ran them over. I kept driving, and then there were two rows of them walking on the road. I could BARELY see them too. I know they can't wear colors but for goodness sakes, If it could keep them from getting killed I think they should.
twocentsworth

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Apr 30, 2011
I'm not as much as worried about a reflector. However I do beleive they should be required to have a plate on there buggies. This sounds silly I know but we have to pay to get our vehicles licened and tagged, and pay taxes on them to help pay for our county roads! If they travel on our county roads they should have to help pay as well.. Think about it, you pay 30 dollars or so a year just for the sticker to have the privalige to drive your car on the road, why shouldnt they have to pay something to be out on the roads?
laws

Campbellsville, KY

#11 Apr 30, 2011
yeppp wrote:
I work second shift. I was driving home from work last week on a curvy road. I pooped up over a hill, and could BARELY see something. It scared me. I slowed down and it was an amish buggy. This particular buggy had some small reflectors placed on it. Granted, I was on the other side of the road. However, if I had came up behind them, I probably would have ran them over. I kept driving, and then there were two rows of them walking on the road. I could BARELY see them too. I know they can't wear colors but for goodness sakes, If it could keep them from getting killed I think they should.
I think there should be a law against pooping over a hill.
Driver

Gradyville, KY

#12 Apr 30, 2011
look wrote:
When are the Amish usually out on the road? in broad daylight... IVE NEVER seen a horse and buggy out on the road late at night. Have you? besides if you dumb asses would slow the hell down and pay attention the road and not your cellphone they wouldn't be in danger...
I don't care if I can see them or not, the law says they have to put them on. They are not above the law, yet they think they are, that is the issue........dumbass.
common sense

Campbellsville, KY

#13 Apr 30, 2011
Anyone who uses a public road, paid for by the taxpayers, should be required to obey the law and the laws should apply to all who use the roads. There is a safety factor involved in this and laws are designed to protect everyone. Any vehicle allowed on a public road should have to conform to safety laws and regulations.
shopper

Leitchfield, KY

#14 Apr 30, 2011
laws wrote:
<quoted text>I think there should be a law against pooping over a hill.
I agree!
yeppp

United States

#15 Apr 30, 2011
Haha sorry I meant I "popped" up over a hill lol.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#16 Nov 18, 2011
You would figure that the sacredness of a human life would take priority over their need to ride in buggies without a reflectors. Very weird indeed!
Or maybe not

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Nov 18, 2011
Brainiac2 wrote:
You would figure that the sacredness of a human life would take priority over their need to ride in buggies without a reflectors. Very weird indeed!
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/85b8687...

Location hidden

#18 Nov 18, 2011
What is the bilical basis they cite for this refusal?

Location hidden

#19 Nov 18, 2011
What is the biblical basis for this refusal?
derp

Lebanon, KY

#20 Nov 18, 2011
Natural selection at its finest.
not around Amish

Elizabethtown, KY

#21 Dec 27, 2011
look wrote:
I'm not from around here and was visiting family in southern Hardin Co. and passed 3 buggies miles apart around 10:45 and 11pm, so maybe it's just you on the road in broad daylight. You must be a "know it all." Cell phone or going fast regardless it's hard to see them. I don't know if you noticed or not but dark hues are hard to see at night. I agree 100% they should be required to have the reflector.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grayson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Potter's Hope hosts a 'Night of Stars' Apr 30 Happy 1
News Grayson County Sheriff's Office Publishes Activ... Apr 26 Nobody 8
Lewie Powell Apr '15 Sonny 1
Grayson County Music Thread (Dec '13) Apr '15 Musikologist 4
Troops begin training to take over YOUR CITY! Apr '15 Law Abiding Citizen 1
News Hayes arraigned in Grayson County Mar '15 natesmama 31
my love Feb '15 bill 2
More from around the web