Oxford residents want Confederate sta...

Oxford residents want Confederate statue moved

There are 5 comments on the WRAL.com - Local News story from Jun 19, 2009, titled Oxford residents want Confederate statue moved. In it, WRAL.com - Local News reports that:

Some Oxford residents want a statue that has honored Civil War soldiers for more than 100 years in the town moved from its current site to a less visible location.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WRAL.com - Local News.

William Bridges

AOL

#1 Aug 31, 2009
why? This statue has been part of oxford for many years, before some of you ever lived there. If you don't like it why don't you move. This statue is not raceist it's history. This statue was here before you and it should be here after YOU LEAVE.
Concerned citizen

Aurora, OH

#2 Nov 24, 2009
It seems as though certain individuals want to remove everything from this states and country's history because everything is considered racial.People are forgetting that blacks and whites fought in the civil war.We really need more competant people in charge of our local and state governments.If i removed everything in the world that offended me,there would probably not be much left.I think if the the statue of the confederate soldier is removed because it is offending to blacks then maybe we need to move or take down something that is offending to whites.
Cris

United States

#3 Jan 11, 2010
Which would be what???
CONCERNED

AOL

#4 Jan 15, 2010
THIS IS A PART OF HISTORY, WE HAD ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE FIGHTING BACK THEN SO WHY WOULD THEY NEED TO MOVE HISTORY. LET PEOPLE LEARN ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES WHICH MANY IN THE AREA FOUGHT SIDE BY SIDE WHETHER YOU WERE BLACK OR WHITE THESE PEOPLE MADE HISTORY SO WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE MOVED SO NOBODY CAN SEE IT. IT'S HISTORY PEOPLE THATS WHATS WRONG WITH THE WORLD TODAY EVERYBODY SEEMS TO HAVE FORGOTTEN WHERE WE CAME FROM AND HOW WE GOT HERE. SO STOP LETTING HISTORY AFFEND YOU AND LEARN SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND IT THAT WOULD BE BETTER, IT'S NOT A RACIST THING JUST HISTORY!!
Packrat

Wheeling, WV

#5 Aug 29, 2010
It is a fact that there was slavery, and that the North and South fought. It was a very dark time in the history of America, and people should be reminded of just how far we have come. William
Bridges shows just how Racist he is. Just because something existed for a long time, does not make it right. Mr. Bridges Why Don't You Leave! Did you also think it was ok for the lynchings to take place in Oxford?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granville County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Weather History: February 16: Record temps, tor... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Sochi 1
News Pet Monkey Euthanized, Will Be Tested For Rabies (May '12) May '12 Mary Jones 1
News Genealogical society (Aug '10) Aug '10 Alexis 1
News Three Die In Fatal Police Chase (Dec '07) Apr '10 Christy Bryant 7
News Volunteers Find Missing Granville County Boy Alive (Jul '07) Mar '10 joshua wood 2
News Federal correctional officers involved in fatal... (Jan '10) Jan '10 bebe 3
News Two die in Granville County wreck (Apr '09) Oct '09 Amanda Parker 4
More from around the web