Ranching groups react to poll on wolf recovery

Ranchers' groups are reacting to a poll over the U.S. Fish and Wildlife's Service program to release Mexican gray wolves in southwestern New Mexico and southeastern Arizona. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sane thoughts

United States

#22 Jun 19, 2008
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
last time i checked most people dont grow enugh food to last all year... so yes the world does revolve around ranchers and farmers... you need to think about that the next time you eat.
Kudos Steve!
angel

United States

#23 Jun 23, 2008
the poll also reads wide support to of ranching and wolf control which is something the poll commissioners didn't want the public to get hold of. Obviously they were fishing for anti-ranching sentiment which they didn't get. Not surprising that uneducated town folks want wolves but very surprising they like ranching think it is good for the environment and want wolves that hurt ranchers controled. Sounds reasonable to me.
angel

United States

#24 Jun 23, 2008
Oh for gosh sakes stop acting like the people in the recovery area living with the wolves on a daily basis don't know what they are talking about or are just full of it. I think living with the animals day to day gives them all the credibility this poster will never have. I sure don't believe all propoganda spewed at me. Besides I have seen what these wolves do and it is very ugly. To call those living it dumb is hysterical. These wolves are so far from being deathly afraid of people it isn't even funny. Have some respect for those living with them.
PJ H wrote:
If 'people' in the release area have a negative opinion of the program than they havn't done thier homework and clearly have an opinion based on centurys old myth rather than scientifically proven fact. Wether you like wolves or not they are a keystone animal. They are deathly afraid of people (with good cause) and thier choice food is not cattle. With the slightest effort, cattle loss would not be an issue and even if it was, here is the bottom line.. 1)When there are only 350 cattle on the planet (the number of Mexican Gray wolves) the issue may have some merit and 2)the wolves are on my (Govt) land. If we as a species can't give another species a chance to ecist, shame on us.
angel

United States

#25 Jun 23, 2008
Sorry but all the native american people in the SW that I have talked to, those with Mexican wolves and those who are expecting them are extremely aggitated about it and those who do have them are being ruined ask the San Carlos Apache's how they feel becoming more and more poverty stricken by this government program they didn't want either. The Navajo will be ruined by the expansion of this program if some kind of reasonable management isn't implemented. I think it is pretty selfish of this writer to insist on a wolf population off the backs of others including poverty stricken reservation communities who live through sustinance farming and herding. The white ranchers aren't the only people being impacted but you won't see that in the media.
oh brother wrote:
Wolves are complex, highly evolved creatures who may be afraid of nothing, but they DO NOT cause massive damage to their territories! They hunt only when they need to and are very elusive most of the time. The problem is, there are too many people and of course they are going to cross boundaries! They no longer have the space they need to live because of said human population. What bothers me the most is that ranchers feel they have the right to make choices for all of us because they own livestock. How selfish is that! There are some of us who would like to see wolves returned to their natural habitat. Ranchers are the ones who are the cry babies here - they want everything done their way and to heck with everything else! The Native American people are the ones who have it right - they respect and care for all things in the ecosystem and don't have the need to kill off what they feel is bothersome! It wasn't until the white bred rancher came in and decided the wolves had to go and they've been a thorn in this ever since then!
<quoted text>
spoiled bunch

Santa Clara, CA

#26 Jun 24, 2008
cattle ranchers are use to having full access to all of the national forests and that's why they're bitching and complaining about the re-intro. i'm surprised that merryberry isn't blaming illegals for the problems created by ranchers who still want full control of our forests.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#27 Jun 24, 2008
angel wrote:
Sorry but all the native american people in the SW that I have talked to, those with Mexican wolves and those who are expecting them are extremely aggitated about it and those who do have them are being ruined ask the San Carlos Apache's how they feel becoming more and more poverty stricken by this government program they didn't want either. The Navajo will be ruined by the expansion of this program if some kind of reasonable management isn't implemented. I think it is pretty selfish of this writer to insist on a wolf population off the backs of others including poverty stricken reservation communities who live through sustinance farming and herding. The white ranchers aren't the only people being impacted but you won't see that in the media.
<quoted text>
poverty stricken reservation communities....its their choice to be poverty stricken..not the wolves..instead of looking for constant handouts they should be getting educated and assimilating themselves into modern society..unless of course..its their "culture" to remain uneducated and poor.
educated

United States

#28 Jun 24, 2008
spoiled bunch wrote:
cattle ranchers are use to having full access to all of the national forests and that's why they're bitching and complaining about the re-intro. i'm surprised that merryberry isn't blaming illegals for the problems created by ranchers who still want full control of our forests.
Well, they do pay thousands of dollars a year for the rights to graze on federal land, so, Yeah, I guess they should feel like they deserve to use it.
Barnie

Reserve, NM

#29 Aug 18, 2008
Again, here we have a prime example of a few taking it upon themselves to decide what should be done for the benefit of all. Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone bothered to consider the animals rights or fears? Probably not! When do animals quit paying the price for STUPID people. On one hand you have a group of stupid people deciding this predator should have the land he once occupied back to habitate again and hunt. Of course many changes have taken place and there is no room left for this kind of predator. So you now have so-called wolves (of course many don't know their true heritage) which have bred with feral dogs, finding their way into human habitats and conditioning themselves more and more to humans and their presence. Then you have the destruction of human lives and livehoods, not over a gradual period of time, but here and now. There is, of course, the issue of taxpayers monies which are being extravagantly wasted on a bogus program which is sent to unsuspecting tax payers who mostly reside in the cities who love wildlife. I don't know too many people who don't appreciate and love seeing wildlife. What I don't enjoy seeing is an unsuspecting wildlife (deer/elk/javalina/big horn sheep, etc.) which have never had to deal with these predators in over 100 years being stalked and terrorized and they are not conditioned for it, how fair is that to wildlife issues? So, the monies keep pouring in to the heads of state, federal agencies, and other politicians who are looking to fund their own agendas as the expense of animals. Whether it is abandoned dogs/cats in the cities or what we get here is dogs/cats dumped in our rurals I guess hoping they will find homes or somehow survive. Well folks, truth be known, they usually end up dead from starvation (lovely way to go) or end up being a nuisance to someone and are shot or poisoned. Hmmmm, how fair is that? So yes, maybe the rancher decimated a predator he was in competition with, but then that's what the wolves do, is decimate their competition. In the end, it is the wolves/deer/elk/javalina/bear/ rabbits/foxes/cougars/you name it, not to mention our domestic breeds, who end up paying the price for stupid people. The wolves are not wanted back in this area, and I for one are for erradicating them because of the stupid people who will continue to subject the wolves and local people to their own personal eco-centric agendas, irregardless of the price. I only hope if the opportunity arrises I can help expedite the exit of this sudo-grey wolf species here in the s/w.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#30 Aug 18, 2008
LCFed wrote:
<quoted text>
We already have a huge problem with large predators like mountain lions not having enough to eat and migrating into town. The number of attacks is growing exponentially.
Can you share your numbers and math calculations with us? You make it sound like the sky is falling, and I am more than just a wee bit skeptical about the factual basis for your assertions.
I get it

Albuquerque, NM

#31 Aug 19, 2008
Bring back the dinosaurs while you're at it. Anything for city dwellers to organize so they can make money off the Gov't is mostly what this is all about. Send money should be their motto.

Beats a regular job, I suppose.
Racing Fan

Louisville, CO

#32 Aug 19, 2008
I am pretty fed up with ranchers. They think the government land is their private preserve and to heck with the rest of the population. They whine about wolves killing their cattle but feel no remorse when they send the cattle to a slaughter house to be killed.
R Sanchez

Las Vegas, NM

#33 Aug 19, 2008
It's a good thing they didnt release them near My property. Because I will shoot anything that threatens My livestock.
Rick

Silver City, NM

#34 Dec 12, 2008
All this bickering, just watch out people ,, smallpox will be the next thing they release under the endangered speces act.
Thomas g

Clayton, NM

#35 Dec 12, 2008
Yes ranchers and farmers are THE backbone of our country. Where do you think your beef comes from that feed America?
Wild hogs were introduced to New Mexico and guess what they are destroying farmers crops and range land.---less food--RIGHT Maybe wolves
need protection, so put them in your back yard and feed them.
billy the kid

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Jan 4, 2010
oh come on....we all know is all about money what would those Forest Service Persoanl do if they did not have a little pet project going on....its the ranchers that are killing the wolves what would think they if people started killing cattle? I personaly think they should leave the wolf alone and let him breed in great numbers..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lawsuit filed in federal court alleges murder c... Jul '14 RobertJose 1
Horror: Police force man to undergo invasive an... (Nov '13) Nov '13 careful out there 1
Southern NM teen birth rates fall, still above ... (May '13) May '13 vega 1
Grijalva bound over to district court on child ... (Mar '13) May '13 vega 2
Silver City Warrant roundup nets 32 arrests (Mar '13) Mar '13 interesting 1
Silver City woman murdered; boyfriend under arrest (Oct '12) Oct '12 Budda 3
Grant County Democratic Party launches public s... (Sep '12) Sep '12 MmmMmmMmm 1
More from around the web