Ranching groups react to poll on wolf...

Ranching groups react to poll on wolf recovery

There are 35 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jun 17, 2008, titled Ranching groups react to poll on wolf recovery. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

Ranchers' groups are reacting to a poll over the U.S. Fish and Wildlife's Service program to release Mexican gray wolves in southwestern New Mexico and southeastern Arizona.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PJ H

AOL

#1 Jun 17, 2008
If 'people' in the release area have a negative opinion of the program than they havn't done thier homework and clearly have an opinion based on centurys old myth rather than scientifically proven fact. Wether you like wolves or not they are a keystone animal. They are deathly afraid of people (with good cause) and thier choice food is not cattle. With the slightest effort, cattle loss would not be an issue and even if it was, here is the bottom line.. 1)When there are only 350 cattle on the planet (the number of Mexican Gray wolves) the issue may have some merit and 2)the wolves are on my (Govt) land. If we as a species can't give another species a chance to ecist, shame on us.
Wolves4ever

Toronto, Canada

#2 Jun 17, 2008
How can you not welcome a return of the animal that humanbeings hunted to near extinction. I understand concern for personal property, such as livestock, but come on. We are talking about a greater purpose. We are talking about undoing a serious offense. Wolves are God's creatures and they deserve a chance at a comeback.
wave

United States

#3 Jun 17, 2008
why aren't this groups forced by (THE PEOPLE) to take legal and monetary responsibility for any death and or destruction created by what they introduce into our lives
wave

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2008
go live with the animals in mexico here they were haunted for a reason my governmet land is not yours alone it is ours love them but do it in their land
LCFed

United States

#5 Jun 18, 2008
Wolves4ever wrote:
How can you not welcome a return of the animal that humanbeings hunted to near extinction. I understand concern for personal property, such as livestock, but come on. We are talking about a greater purpose. We are talking about undoing a serious offense. Wolves are God's creatures and they deserve a chance at a comeback.
Wow, your ignorance is truly apparent. Introduce them in Albuquerque and we will see how ticked you get when one of them runs off with your Birkenstocks. Wolves are not "deathly afraid of people", they are raised in captivity by people. I am not completely opposed to the reintroduction, but wolves have no natural predators. We already have a huge problem with large predators like mountain lions not having enough to eat and migrating into town. The number of attacks is growing exponentially. Until we get a handle on these other populations, we have no business introducing another species that will feed on the same prey as the ones moving into town.
Troy in Edgewood

United States

#6 Jun 18, 2008
If people are affraid of the wlves stay in the city let the animals live in wilderness areas, they only do what comes naturally. Mexican Grey Wolves are native to southern New Mexico
Jake

AOL

#7 Jun 18, 2008
I was for the reintroduction of the wolf before, but after reading about the continued negativity this subject continues to generate, wolves should be kept as far away from ranchers as possible - otherwise they will end up dead! I love wolves and feel they have every right to be here - after all, they were here way before we were and lived just fine without human interference. However, with the human population expanding into their natural territories, there will eventually be some kind of contact between man/beast, and sometimes not always for the better. I feel very sorry for wildlife - they no longer have a place to call their own! We continue to rape and pillage and populate their natural habitats.....
prickley pear

Las Vegas, NM

#8 Jun 19, 2008
PJ H wrote:
opinion based on centurys old myth rather than scientifically proven fact ... They are deathly afraid of people (with good cause) and thier choice food is not cattle...
There are reasons behind all the fairy tales we have been handed down for centuries. The Big Bad Wolf, The Wolf and the 3 Little Pigs, the Russian folk stories, all have a basis of truth in back of them.

Wolves are afraid of NOTHING!! Maybe their choice of dinner is not cattle or sheep or even horses!! But they do massive damage to anything in their territory. No, they don't eat it, they just kill for the fun of it.

These wolves should be released in the middle of Albuquerque and on the Santa Fe Plaza. We will see how many of you are happy when PhiPhi, FooFoo, and Junior go missing while you are watching them.

Nice little wolfie, here is my son for your dinner!! and my kitty and my doggie too. Oh, you didn't like the taste of them, then why did you kill them?
oh brother

AOL

#9 Jun 19, 2008
Wolves are complex, highly evolved creatures who may be afraid of nothing, but they DO NOT cause massive damage to their territories! They hunt only when they need to and are very elusive most of the time. The problem is, there are too many people and of course they are going to cross boundaries! They no longer have the space they need to live because of said human population. What bothers me the most is that ranchers feel they have the right to make choices for all of us because they own livestock. How selfish is that! There are some of us who would like to see wolves returned to their natural habitat. Ranchers are the ones who are the cry babies here - they want everything done their way and to heck with everything else! The Native American people are the ones who have it right - they respect and care for all things in the ecosystem and don't have the need to kill off what they feel is bothersome! It wasn't until the white bred rancher came in and decided the wolves had to go and they've been a thorn in this ever since then!
prickley pear wrote:
<quoted text>
There are reasons behind all the fairy tales we have been handed down for centuries. The Big Bad Wolf, The Wolf and the 3 Little Pigs, the Russian folk stories, all have a basis of truth in back of them.
Wolves are afraid of NOTHING!! Maybe their choice of dinner is not cattle or sheep or even horses!! But they do massive damage to anything in their territory. No, they don't eat it, they just kill for the fun of it.
These wolves should be released in the middle of Albuquerque and on the Santa Fe Plaza. We will see how many of you are happy when PhiPhi, FooFoo, and Junior go missing while you are watching them.
Nice little wolfie, here is my son for your dinner!! and my kitty and my doggie too. Oh, you didn't like the taste of them, then why did you kill them?
Cherie

Grants, NM

#11 Jun 19, 2008
Ummm hello people, did you not pay attention in history class in high school? The whole reason the wolf was re-introduced back into the population here in New Mexico is because they were on the exdangered list. So therefore they are PROTECTED! The ranchers can cry all they want, to damn bad. Wolves only kill what they need to survive, they do not kill for pleasure or spite.(Like humans do). So get a damn grip and get over it! We spent thousands of dollars to re-populate them back into the wilderness, leave them alone.
Charlie

AOL

#12 Jun 19, 2008
prickley pear wrote:
<quoted text>
What about HUMANS doing massive damage to their territories? Wolves kill to eat - ranchers raise cattle/sheep that are killed for PROFIT to them! Man murders, rapes, molests children, creates wars where innocent people are killed and you are worried about wolves being in THEIR natural habitat? Get a grip! Mankind is the aggressor here - NOT the wolf! LEAVE THEM ALONE and quit your complaining about the damage they do! Rather, maybe you should look more closely at the damage ranchers do by harvesting and killing livestock in huge quantities for their own financial benefit! Put the blame where it belongs! Wolves have gotten a bad rap throughout history because of morons like you!
sane thoughts

United States

#13 Jun 19, 2008
oh brother wrote:
Wolves are complex, highly evolved creatures who may be afraid of nothing, but they DO NOT cause massive damage to their territories! They hunt only when they need to and are very elusive most of the time. The problem is, there are too many people and of course they are going to cross boundaries! They no longer have the space they need to live because of said human population. What bothers me the most is that ranchers feel they have the right to make choices for all of us because they own livestock. How selfish is that! There are some of us who would like to see wolves returned to their natural habitat. Ranchers are the ones who are the cry babies here - they want everything done their way and to heck with everything else! The Native American people are the ones who have it right - they respect and care for all things in the ecosystem and don't have the need to kill off what they feel is bothersome! It wasn't until the white bred rancher came in and decided the wolves had to go and they've been a thorn in this ever since then!
<quoted text>
Well the thing is, unless you have researched the habits of wolves, then you have no intellectual leg to stand on. Yes, they do kill for sport! They do not physically destroy the actual habitat, but they do force other species out, specficaly the one that they compete with. For your comments about the the ranchers, who grows your food, produces the product for your textiles and raises the animals that provide your leather. If you say you are vegetarian or only eat organic, that is a load of crap because there is no such thing as 100% organic. So is ask you to think about the people whose livelihoods are threatened because of your ignorance as you leave wild oats in your BMW with heated leather seats.
R Sanchez

Las Vegas, NM

#14 Jun 19, 2008
All I say is I better not see any near our livestock. And I also like to hike and fish in the area. Now I will for sure be carrying a firearm when I'm out in the area.
Charlie

AOL

#15 Jun 19, 2008
sane thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the thing is, unless you have researched the habits of wolves, then you have no intellectual leg to stand on. Yes, they do kill for sport! They do not physically destroy the actual habitat, but they do force other species out, specficaly the one that they compete with. For your comments about the the ranchers, who grows your food, produces the product for your textiles and raises the animals that provide your leather. If you say you are vegetarian or only eat organic, that is a load of crap because there is no such thing as 100% organic. So is ask you to think about the people whose livelihoods are threatened because of your ignorance as you leave wild oats in your BMW with heated leather seats.
Not everyone eats meat or wears the hides of animals. As far as I am concerned you are the ignorant ones! I guess we all have a righ to our opinions.
Jake

AOL

#16 Jun 19, 2008
R Sanchez wrote:
All I say is I better not see any near our livestock. And I also like to hike and fish in the area. Now I will for sure be carrying a firearm when I'm out in the area.
These are a protected species and as such, you do not have the right to indiscriminately kill them.
LCFed

United States

#17 Jun 19, 2008
Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone eats meat or wears the hides of animals. As far as I am concerned you are the ignorant ones! I guess we all have a righ to our opinions.
There is no way that you can survive without by-products from animals, everything that you use have a relationship to livestock or crops. Yeah, we are the ignorant ones!
Lisa

AOL

#18 Jun 19, 2008
LCFed wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way that you can survive without by-products from animals, everything that you use have a relationship to livestock or crops. Yeah, we are the ignorant ones!
Ranchers are still cry babies and think the world revolves around them!
sane thoughts

United States

#19 Jun 19, 2008
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, Good one Lisa, wait till your cat dissapears! Oh and you are WELCOME for your food!
Steve

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jun 19, 2008
Ill bet most of the people on this thread that are for wolves are the same people that were shocked that a large cat tried to run off with a 5yr old boy a few weeks back. most of you never leave the city long enugh to know what life out of a city is like.
Steve

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jun 19, 2008
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
last time i checked most people dont grow enugh food to last all year... so yes the world does revolve around ranchers and farmers... you need to think about that the next time you eat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Murdered woman found at Mule Creek (Dec '08) Apr '16 wwwnorthfortyhomecom 7
News County Clerk Office to Close March 21-23, 2016 (Mar '16) Mar '16 Franco 2
News 1 rancher renounces federal grazing contract at... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Vcubed 1
News Commissioners approve preliminary budget (Jun '15) Jun '15 Mimbrenaenm 3
News Lawsuit filed in federal court alleges murder c... (Jul '14) May '15 Pepper Dine 2
News Horror: Police force man to undergo invasive an... (Nov '13) Nov '13 careful out there 1
News Southern NM teen birth rates fall, still above ... (May '13) May '13 vega 1
More from around the web