Is HIV/AIDS Really a Gay Disease?

Sep 8, 2009 Full story: lezgetreal.com 14

HIV/AIDS is a disease which infects an estimated 33 million people in the world today. It is an automatic death sentence, even though that time can be stretched out. It also has the stigma of being a “gay disease.”..OK…According to the CDC’s 2007 numbers, male to male sexual contact accounts for half the new cases in the country, and a third are due to high risk heterosexual contact. The question that is not asked by the CDC (of course, this is the Bush CDC we’re talking about here) is this due to a greater tendency to be tested among the gay male community, or is it due to higher risk behaviors among gay men?

Full Story

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#1 Sep 8, 2009
As to the title of this article.......NO !

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#3 Sep 8, 2009
RalphB wrote:
As to the title of this article.......NO !
And that is the whole gist of the article.
Lalo

Palm Desert, CA

#4 Sep 8, 2009
HIV is a human disease that disproportionately affects gay men in America. There are other places on the planet where it disproprotionately affects straight women.
Simply because there are disproportions doesn't mean the infection beongs to any one group. Everyone is susceptible.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#5 Sep 8, 2009
Only in North America and Australia. The rest of the planet regards this as a disease of heteros and prostitutes. Scapegoating - nothing more, nothing less.
equalityboy81

United States

#6 Sep 8, 2009
If it were a gay disease only gay people would get it.

“Married as I can be!”

Since: Jun 07

Las Vegas

#10 Sep 8, 2009
What an incendiary title. Of COURSE HIV/AIDS isn't a gay disease.

Interesting to note that the very anti-gay faction that insists that sexual orientation is a choice also insists that HIV is a gay disease. In order for HIV to be a gay disease, there would have to be something inherent in a gay person's biology for the virus to select, which would mean that homosexuality is not a choice. Viruses can't select based on choices!
u dont know me

Coeur D Alene, ID

#13 Sep 8, 2009
GREAT POINT. Your a smart cookie.
ltndncr59 wrote:
What an incendiary title. Of COURSE HIV/AIDS isn't a gay disease.
Interesting to note that the very anti-gay faction that insists that sexual orientation is a choice also insists that HIV is a gay disease. In order for HIV to be a gay disease, there would have to be something inherent in a gay person's biology for the virus to select, which would mean that homosexuality is not a choice. Viruses can't select based on choices!
Skeptical

Townsend, DE

#16 Sep 8, 2009
HIV/AIDS isn't a gay disease as homosexuality itself doesn't cause it. It's spread through promiscuous and/or risky sexual acts, not homosexual acts in general.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#18 Sep 8, 2009
I tend to agree that gay men are more likely in this country to get tested. From what I have seen here, there has been very little effort on the part the government to stress to the straight white majority to get tested.

Is that the fault of Bush/Cheney? The strangle-hold the religious right and arch conservatives had on the government for the last 2 decades? I believe that is a large part of it.
Disinformation be GONE

Orlando, FL

#20 Sep 8, 2009
First of all Ms. Bridgette P. LaVictoire needs to get her information straight (no pun intended). Being HIV positive is NOT a death sentence. Even having full blown AIDS may not be either. There are new medications being brought to market all the time (Merck just came out with one). ltndncr59 is correct in that viruses do not discriminate. They attack indiscriminately based solely on whether or not they can survive a particular environment. Due your research before you open your mouth (or keyboard) and remove all doubt!

Since: Dec 06

Joliet, IL

#21 Sep 8, 2009
I, too, noticed the author's inaccurate description of being HIV positive as a "death sentence." I have several friends who have been HIV positive for at least 20 years, and they remain healthy. I don't want others to think that I do not see being HIV positive as a serious illness, however; I have been told and seen how current medications often produce significant side effects. But please don't discourage people from getting tested by spreading inaccurate information.

And by the way: HIV positive or not, we ALL live under a "death sentence."
Disinformation be GONE wrote:
First of all Ms. Bridgette P. LaVictoire needs to get her information straight (no pun intended). Being HIV positive is NOT a death sentence. Even having full blown AIDS may not be either. There are new medications being brought to market all the time (Merck just came out with one). ltndncr59 is correct in that viruses do not discriminate. They attack indiscriminately based solely on whether or not they can survive a particular environment. Due your research before you open your mouth (or keyboard) and remove all doubt!
Liberaces Ghost

UK

#22 Sep 8, 2009
My a$$ says no but my c*ck says yes...

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#23 Sep 8, 2009
Disinformation be GONE wrote:
IF you had read the whole thing, I get a bit more technical. OOPS.

However, a lot of this article is about something other than trying to be absolutely technical about how the disease operates. If you are hung up on that, maybe you should sit there with a friend who just got the diagnosis as she and you realize that she will die a good long time before you and no matter how many drugs she takes, that won't change.

If you prefer, the majority (99%) of all cases will result in the person who has AIDS dying of it.
Lalo

Palm Desert, CA

#24 Sep 9, 2009
THEAprof wrote:
I, too, noticed the author's inaccurate description of being HIV positive as a "death sentence." I have several friends who have been HIV positive for at least 20 years, and they remain healthy.
And by the way: HIV positive or not, we ALL live under a "death sentence."
<quoted text>
Hey Thea, my Partner of 28 yrs and I can trace our infection to about 1979 (before we met). That makes us 30 year survivors - as a couple. We've had our good times and our bad times with HIV, but we persevere rather well.
BTW, loved you final statement. Yeah, we all die. People tend to forget that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic violence dentist Dec 1 Cross creek 1
10-year-old girl injured in St. Simons Island h... Aug '14 I Hate Syracuse 1
katie collins and genoa reed (Mar '14) Jul '14 Carla miller 2
Case In PointTHE F.T.C. Challenges Hydrogen Kit... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Help 1
Georgia State Rep. Jason Spencer, challenger Na... (May '14) May '14 you darn 2
Student faces weapons charge Tyler Heinze, 17, ... (Mar '11) Mar '14 London 18
Search efforts continue on Mackay River (Mar '14) Mar '14 tgp 1
More from around the web