Top Stories - Told to be More Respect...

Top Stories - Told to be More Respectful, Teen Shoots Stepfather

There are 38 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Dec 18, 2007, titled Top Stories - Told to be More Respectful, Teen Shoots Stepfather. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering says a 14 year old was told to be more respectful of adults, that's when he went inside got a gun and shot his stepfather.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#22 Dec 18, 2007
MorkFromOrk wrote:
<quoted text>
But our liberal Democrat friends will ensure that he is not executed, has conjucal visitation rights and repopulates society with more worthless human garbage, just like himself.
If there is absolute evidence that the pig committed murder, then KILL HIM, EXECUTE HIM, PULL THE TRIGGER ON HIM, BUT GET HIM THE HELL OUT OF SOCIETY. SEND HIM TO HELL WHERE HE BELONGS.
marry me..HAHA
Sniff

Jacksonville, FL

#23 Dec 18, 2007
That kid looks like Jim Morrison from "The Doors". He has a girl's haircut. No wonder he went nuts.
Mike

Saint Augustine, FL

#24 Dec 18, 2007
I'm now 52 yrs old. My Dad's favorite tool was a 1"x2" piece of pine, about 18" long. It did WONDERS.....

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Dec 07

Jacksonville, FL

#25 Dec 18, 2007
Mike wrote:
I'm now 52 yrs old. My Dad's favorite tool was a 1"x2" piece of pine, about 18" long. It did WONDERS.....
I'm now 52 years old. My dad's favorite thing was the belt, and my mom's favorite friend was the flyswatter on our bear behinds.

There was 6 of us. We all turned out pretty damn good.
Santa

Fernandina Beach, FL

#26 Dec 18, 2007
Lock him up and throw away the key he deserves no gifts anyways.
Ellen

Jacksonville, FL

#27 Dec 18, 2007
Does anyone else find the grammar and writing on this article to be absolutely abhorrent? Maybe it's just the English teacher in me, but this is plain embarrassing.

"Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering says a 14 year old was told to be more respectful of adults, that's when he went inside got a gun and shot his stepfather."
Charles

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Dec 18, 2007
This is a tragic situation, that could have been avoided, if only this young lad had used more self-control.
It is just an all-out bad situation.
been there

Saint Augustine, FL

#29 Dec 19, 2007
jayw wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comparison to cars is ridiculous. People do not use cars to intentionally kill people. I can tell you that this will never happen in my home because we do not own guns. As my girls were growing up, they were not permitted to visit a friends home if we knew the family owned guns.In fact it would be unusual for us to befriend any gun owners. Why would anyone need a gun in 2007 is beyond my understanding. We can buy our meat in a store and no longer need to hunt for food. I like to think that civilization has moved beyond the primitive instinct. And yes I am a Republican opposed to guns and in favor of gun control.
You are kidding me right? Just look at the news stories everyday about the out of control crime here and you know why we need to carry. It is your right as an American to carry a firearm. If you chose not to use it, that is your right, but it does not give you the right to attack those of us that do. If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, running lights and sirens the best police can respond is 2-3 minutes. A lot can happen in that time. I have a responsibility to protect my family and I will do so. I grew up with guns in the house and my dad was very firm about never touching or going near them until we were of age when he taught us how to shoot. He instilled the proper fear in me that looking in the gun drawer was not worth the pain getting caught would bring.
flygril

Fernandina Beach, FL

#30 Dec 19, 2007
put this kid on lock down. make him understand what he did was wrong and find a way to punish him for what he did. to start with cut his hair and put the little porker on a diet.
kiki

Savannah, GA

#31 Dec 19, 2007
been there wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding me right? Just look at the news stories everyday about the out of control crime here and you know why we need to carry. It is your right as an American to carry a firearm. If you chose not to use it, that is your right, but it does not give you the right to attack those of us that do. If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, running lights and sirens the best police can respond is 2-3 minutes. A lot can happen in that time. I have a responsibility to protect my family and I will do so. I grew up with guns in the house and my dad was very firm about never touching or going near them until we were of age when he taught us how to shoot. He instilled the proper fear in me that looking in the gun drawer was not worth the pain getting caught would bring.
oh and i agree it was the same in my parents home and the same in my husbands parents home and now we teach our children the same they don't even think twice about going to where we keep our guns at (and off course they can't reach it anyway) one thing about it we are going to protect our home and family.....

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#32 Dec 19, 2007
i used to keep a gun in every room in my house when i was married..until my wife tried to shoot me..then they went bye bye..HAHAHAHAHA...but now that im single and will never marry again...at the start of the new year, yes i will have guns again..and yes, my kids will be taught how to respect them or face the consequences...

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Dec 07

Jacksonville, FL

#33 Dec 19, 2007
flygril wrote:
put this kid on lock down. make him understand what he did was wrong and find a way to punish him for what he did. to start with cut his hair and put the little porker on a diet.
Sounds like a good start!
Jonna

Jacksonville, FL

#34 Dec 19, 2007
been there wrote:
<quoted text>
He instilled the proper fear in me that looking in the gun drawer was not worth the pain getting caught would bring.
The gun DRAWER! OMG!
Yep ..... thats being a responsible parent and gun owner.
been there

Saint Augustine, FL

#35 Dec 19, 2007
Jonna wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun DRAWER! OMG!
Yep ..... thats being a responsible parent and gun owner.
Maybe in you pathetic world where your children do not respect you it would not work. In my house growing up, we never went into our parents room first of all because there was no need to. We were taught to respect their room. Second, even if we went in their room, there was no need to go to where the guns were kept. We were never home alone as we always had a parent with us whether it was mom or dad. The lack of ability to control your children should not reflect on how you view other people.
Jonna

Jacksonville, FL

#36 Dec 20, 2007
been there wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe in you pathetic world where your children do not respect you it would not work. In my house growing up, we never went into our parents room first of all because there was no need to. We were taught to respect their room. Second, even if we went in their room, there was no need to go to where the guns were kept. We were never home alone as we always had a parent with us whether it was mom or dad. The lack of ability to control your children should not reflect on how you view other people.
You ignore the fact that a unlocked firearm was in your home. You may have been scared to death of the consequences but what about the kid next door, or maybe the thief that may have broken in when you were all out?

Back then it was not as bad but these days ..... it just isn't worth the risk. It is all about responsible gun ownership.

BTW - I am a full time mother, always there for my kids, who are A grade Students, International exchange student representatives, volunteer workers and law abiding young adults. Not one call to a school for misbehaviour and only ever praise from teachers and friends alike for my amazing children.
Pray to Zeus

Tampa, FL

#37 Dec 20, 2007
I'll bet this kid learned violence from his parents "discipline." I'm quite sure that he had plenty of beatings. Violence begets violence. There is a huge difference between discipline (teaching a child) and battery (beating a child). If it's illegal to do to your neighbor, it should be twice as illegal to do to a helpless child. This is the outcome of severe violence against children in the name of discipline. Remember this next time you decide to beat your children ... what will it feel like when your child is bigger and does a fair turn-around?
Pray to Zeus

Tampa, FL

#38 Dec 20, 2007
Lifelong Jax Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm now 52 years old. My dad's favorite thing was the belt, and my mom's favorite friend was the flyswatter on our bear behinds.
There was 6 of us. We all turned out pretty damn good.
... that's true. I checked with your probation officer.
sully72

White House, TN

#40 Dec 20, 2007
crack heads take note. jayw's house is easy pickin's. There's one republican vote for hillary! jayw probably would allow his girls to ride with ted kennedy without wearing a life vest too. get your head out of the sand and see whats real. video games make death a victory, tv makes death seem like nothing. my parents would probably be in jail for life under today's laws. I for one would be in jail, but my kids know respect and have been taught right from wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As Son Died In Hot Car, Georgia Man Sent Teen S... Oct '16 Shocked 1
Very Poor Example! (May '16) May '16 Disgusted and Fed Up 1
News Report: GOP Leaders Met With Elon Musk, Tim Coo... (Mar '16) Mar '16 biten back 1
News Home invader pistol whips man, leaves with cash (Feb '16) Feb '16 Curious 1
News Boy, 10, mauled by pit bulls (May '07) Jan '16 Downsoutht 15
News The heartwarming reason a 91-year-old veteran i... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Debra Davis 1
Caroline Small's Murder (Jul '15) Jul '15 civilliberty 4
More from around the web