Top Stories - Told to be More Respectful, Teen Shoots Stepfather

Full story: First Coast News Jacksonville

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering says a 14 year old was told to be more respectful of adults, that's when he went inside got a gun and shot his stepfather.
Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Dec 20, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's not about me.”

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Once again. Not a whole lot of info to make an educated comment. How about a little background info. Talk to the neighbors.
been there

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

It would be nice. Either the kid is nuts, or there is quite a bit we are not being told. Being the way things are now a days, I would say the kid is nuts.
DUH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

And he should be charged as an adult. The child is obviously a cold blooded killer. That is the most pathetic excuse to kill someone. If that child was disciplined more when he was younger they probably wouldn't have a problem with him being disrespectful. Children need discipline, but the government won't let parents do it!
kiki

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

and your right DUH children..............
kiki

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

oops i didn't mean to add children

“Forget About the Haters”

Since: Oct 07

Jacksonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

DUH wrote:
And he should be charged as an adult. The child is obviously a cold blooded killer. That is the most pathetic excuse to kill someone. If that child was disciplined more when he was younger they probably wouldn't have a problem with him being disrespectful. Children need discipline, but the government won't let parents do it!
I agree. Children need a lot more discipline than the parents are legally allowed to give to their children these days. Man I wish they had to deal with our parents!!!!

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Dec 07

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Jax Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Man I wish they had to deal with our parents!!!!
AMEN!
patricia

Coral Gables, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

don't make sense, and ususally when it don't make sense something isn't true or right about the words or situation. It had to be more to this than this kid being told to be respectful and then shooting somebody. Unless he was truly mentally challenged.
kiki

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

okay and my parents as well..............

Callahan, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Jax Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Children need a lot more discipline than the parents are legally allowed to give to their children these days. Man I wish they had to deal with our parents!!!!
You can discipline children without being arrested. Spanking a child with a belt on their bare bottom is not child abuse - it's discipline - people are just too soft with their children. Time out in a bedroom with video games and TV. Yeah - that'll teach em!!!
DUH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Exactly. People wonder why there is so much crime on the streets, and the blame is always going on the parents, which is understandable for a lot of parents these days, but for some parents it is just hard to control their children because the government interferes way to much with their raising. Parents can't discipline their children how they want to because the child has the upper hand. And the child has the upper hand because they are taught by our government that if they don't like the way their parents treat them, they can call DCF, HRS, and/or the police. Which I guess this starts a whole other discussion. But parents need to speak up!!! Children need discipline.

[p.s. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, children do not need to be abused emotionally or physically.]
jayw

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

What the hXXX is a family Shotgun? Is that like a family car that everyone shares? Must be Deliverance country? How about getting rid of the guns and shotguns. Too many households have guns.

“Forget About the Haters”

Jacksonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

XANADU99 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can discipline children without being arrested. Spanking a child with a belt on their bare bottom is not child abuse - it's discipline - people are just too soft with their children. Time out in a bedroom with video games and TV. Yeah - that'll teach em!!!
I totally agree with you...but a lot of parents these days do not even spank them and then wonder why they are so freakin' bad!!
doug

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

jay, its not guns that murder, its the people who use them. btw, while your after those guns, abolish cars cause they kill more people than guns.
this kid needs to be tried as an adult, but that doesn't change the fact that the stepfather should have been more responsible with the storage of the gun. i'm all for protecting life and property, but common sense needs to be employed.
parents should be allowed to discipline(not abuse) their children as they see fit seeing as they are the ones responsible for the upbringing of the children. the problem these days is that far too many parents have abdicated their responsibility to the government.

“It's not about me.”

Since: Nov 07

Jacksonville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Like I said. Not enough info for an EDUCATED opinion. But not to let a little thing like the truth get in the way. DUH is driving the lynch mob wagon.
jayw

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

doug wrote:
jay, its not guns that murder, its the people who use them. btw, while your after those guns, abolish cars cause they kill more people than guns.
this kid needs to be tried as an adult, but that doesn't change the fact that the stepfather should have been more responsible with the storage of the gun. i'm all for protecting life and property, but common sense needs to be employed.
parents should be allowed to discipline(not abuse) their children as they see fit seeing as they are the ones responsible for the upbringing of the children. the problem these days is that far too many parents have abdicated their responsibility to the government.
Your comparison to cars is ridiculous. People do not use cars to intentionally kill people. I can tell you that this will never happen in my home because we do not own guns. As my girls were growing up, they were not permitted to visit a friends home if we knew the family owned guns.In fact it would be unusual for us to befriend any gun owners. Why would anyone need a gun in 2007 is beyond my understanding. We can buy our meat in a store and no longer need to hunt for food. I like to think that civilization has moved beyond the primitive instinct. And yes I am a Republican opposed to guns and in favor of gun control.
Mr Massacre

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

jayw wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comparison to cars is ridiculous. People do not use cars to intentionally kill people. I can tell you that this will never happen in my home because we do not own guns. As my girls were growing up, they were not permitted to visit a friends home if we knew the family owned guns.In fact it would be unusual for us to befriend any gun owners. Why would anyone need a gun in 2007 is beyond my understanding. We can buy our meat in a store and no longer need to hunt for food. I like to think that civilization has moved beyond the primitive instinct. And yes I am a Republican opposed to guns and in favor of gun control.
you need a gun because believe it or not, jacksonville is not the safest place to live, let alone raise your kids... everyone should have a gun in their home, If somebody is creepin around in my house and I got kids asleep I can't use the power of "please leave I'm unarmed"
Have you talked to each of the child's parents, and specifically asked 'do you own a gun? oh well then sorry Little Modest Molly cannot come over, we don't believe in guns'

Since: Sep 07

Starke,Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

jayw wrote:
What the hXXX is a family Shotgun? Is that like a family car that everyone shares? Must be Deliverance country? How about getting rid of the guns and shotguns. Too many households have guns.
Well if people did get rid of the guns the kids will find them other places! Look at that one little boy that had purchased a gun from that one guy and he ended up dead. So it don't matter if all the guns were got rid of if the kid wanted a gun im sure he would of got one from somewhere it's sad that these children can get there hands on anything they want at any time!

Since: Dec 07

Jax

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

scott1 wrote:
<quoted text>
from what else that has been reported since this happened, he was a bad seed..he had been in trouble quite a bit and if i remember correctly at one time had to have an ankle monitor for some reason...and yes..some kids are just born bad..its a fact of life...i feel for this family..these kid should be exectued quikly so he is no longer a drain on society..
But our liberal Democrat friends will ensure that he is not executed, has conjucal visitation rights and repopulates society with more worthless human garbage, just like himself.
If there is absolute evidence that the pig committed murder, then KILL HIM, EXECUTE HIM, PULL THE TRIGGER ON HIM, BUT GET HIM THE HELL OUT OF SOCIETY. SEND HIM TO HELL WHERE HE BELONGS.
Good Bye Loser

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Another loser kid looking for respect the wrong way. Well, he'll now find fame in jail... from behind. Have fun, Loser.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Glynn County Discussions

Search the Glynn County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Case In PointTHE F.T.C. Challenges Hydrogen Kit... Jun '14 Help 1
Georgia State Rep. Jason Spencer, challenger Na... May '14 you darn 2
Student faces weapons charge Tyler Heinze, 17, ... (Mar '11) Mar '14 London 18
Search efforts continue on Mackay River Mar '14 tgp 1
katie collins and genoa reed Mar '14 Agaisntabuse 1
Brunswick man fatally shot in target practice a... Mar '14 bored 2
Bracie Mangram (May '07) Feb '14 Braja 7
•••
•••