Shootings raise gang fears Wed, Aug 2...

Shootings raise gang fears Wed, Aug 22, 2007

There are 13 comments on the Brunswick News story from Aug 25, 2007, titled Shootings raise gang fears Wed, Aug 22, 2007. In it, Brunswick News reports that:

“Aaron's not here, but (his death) is something other moms and kids can learn from. "We can't bring him back, but he's in a better place now, and there are still a lot of parents and kids struggling.”

Mayor Bryan Thompson fears that street gangs may be responsible for an upsurge in violence in the city and county. via Brunswick News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brunswick News.

wise1

White House, TN

#1 Sep 1, 2007
Mayor Bryan Thompson fears that street gangs may be responsible for an upsurge in violence in the city and county. via Brunswick News

YOU THINK? Ok Mr. Mayor what do you plan to do about the problem?
wise1

White House, TN

#3 Sep 1, 2007
Brunswick is not a major city but it is not a small country town either, in fact the town is growing in leaps and bounds lately.

With more construction, more business moving in it is an attraction to those looking for a quieter place to live yet one that has something to offer in the way of shopping , jobs etc.

That unfortunately can also breed an insurgancy of criminal activity as well. A coke dealer will not go to a town of 1500 to do business, it slim pickins but a town of 100,000 they will go to , more chance of serious sales.

The more you put out as attraction, the more you breed in potential criminal activity.

Brunswick is also right off of I-95 a major freeway between Jacksonville FLA and Savannah GA Two major cities. Easy in and fast out for a criminal.
wise1

White House, TN

#4 Sep 1, 2007
Population (year 2000): 15,600. Estimated population in July 2006: 16,074 (+3.0% change)

Males: 7,330 (47.0%)
Females: 8,270 (53.0%)

Estimated median household income in 2005:$23,100 (it was $22,272 in 2000)

Brunswick $23,100
Georgia:$45,604

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005:$80,800 (it was $61,200 in 2000)
Brunswick $80,800
Georgia:$147,500

Races in Brunswick:

Black (59.8%)
White Non-Hispanic (33.1%)
Hispanic (5.8%)
Other race (1.7%)
Two or more races (1.4%)
American Indian (0.6%)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Brunswick-Georg...
wise1

White House, TN

#6 Sep 3, 2007
Brunswick is about 60 miles to Jax dunno about Valdosta
wise1

White House, TN

#7 Sep 3, 2007
Brunswick is smack dab in the middle between jax and savannah off I-95, either way you are looking at about an hour drive.
The Shooter

Savannah, GA

#10 Sep 4, 2007
Stacey2 wrote:
<quoted text> I think anyway you look at it Crime is hitting all communities. the best and worst. The issue is how to get it to stop. DC has a Gun law on the table. Washington DC has banned hanguns for years now the law makers are saying its unconstitutional. I mean if the gang bangers can go and get a gun from a store by legal means WOW I think we are going to have a bigger problem than we already do!
The fact are as follows:

1. Gangbangers don't buy guns from gunstores. If they do, then they can be traced by law enforcement. Also, it's cheaper to buy a stolen one off the streets.

2. I wish we could stop gun violence but the illegal distribution of narcotics and guns go hand in hand. Criminals will get their guns from the same people they get their dope from.

3. All a "gun ban" does is take away your right to have a gun. If you are a law abiding citizen, you will obey the law and not have a gun. A gangbanger, what do they care about the law. I mean it is illegal in Georgia to even belong to a gang. If passing a law worked, being illegal to be in a gang would have ended all the violence already. it's not a popular view but it's reality.
The Shooter

Savannah, GA

#12 Sep 5, 2007
Stacey2 wrote:
<quoted text> I completely understand your facts, however, what about when law abiding citizens purchase guns in a legal fashion and don’t have the proper training and a accident happens or citizens have guns in the house with children and seems as if not matter how hard you try to keep those guns locked away somehow the children can get there hands on them. What about the gang bangers that do think well if I can get one legally and I want to kill this
other gang banger I can say it was “self defense” seems far fetch but nothing surprises me today. I don’t know what the answer is here but I know the laws really need to be strengthen and Tweaked to perfection!
Guns in a house with children are dangerous. You have to treat a firearm like any other dangerous substance such as medicine, tools, etc... The training is available if people want it and seek it out. Anyone who buys a gun should know how to use it correctly. I was raised in a house with firearms and was told that I could shoot them and handle them at any time, as long as I asked my parents first. They would supervise me with the firearms and I respected that it was a tool and not a toy.

I think every parent has to assess whether their child is capable of dealing with that. There is no easy answer, just like being a parent is not easy.

As for gangbangers and self defense, I guess it could be articulable. Anything is possible. I don't see that rationale being very popular though.

The laws need to be tough on those individuals who choose to break the law. Felons who carry guns sould be hammered. The law doesn't need to be tough on law abiding citizens who want a firearm in their residence to protect themselves.

Southern

United States

#15 Sep 6, 2007
I won't be relying on a mayor or judge or a panel of concerned citizens to protect me and my child. And "The Shooter" is right on target. More children are poisoned and die each year by medicines and household cleaners than are injured by GSW's. Are we to ban those in homes with children?

Raise yo' kids to know the difference between right and wrong, work for what they want and not try to take it from others....especially at my home!
Southern

United States

#18 Sep 6, 2007
Stacey2 wrote:
<quoted text> more power to you! sounds like you have the perfect home unfortunatly that is not reality!! We have to be real, Come on you live in the DC area as well and we both know living here is no joke! I am moving to Brunswick LOL
What is not reality? I'm a single mom who refuses to be a victim. Sounds like a perfect home to me!
I am a competition shooter and there are guns in my home. My child will be raised to respect guns and the damage and devastation they can cause. But she will also know right from wrong, and that IT IS WRONG TO TAKE SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO HER! Get a grip sheeple and start fighting back!

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Southern

United States

#23 Sep 6, 2007
Stacey2 wrote:
<quoted text> I hear what you are saying but I bet your bottom dollar you have never had a gun pointed in your face! Talk is cheap until you are faced with the situation. Your plan sounds like a good one but not very realistic to me. Thats just my opinion.
Sorry Stacey2...you are wrong again. I have had a loaded gun pointed at me on more than one occaision. Don't just assume because I am female I am Suzy homemaker. I retired after 15 years as a highway patrol officer. And those bad people who bought those guns legally to commit horrendous crimes, guess what. They would have gotten them anyway, had they been denied legal purchase. And if by some slim chance they were unable to obtain guns, don't you think they would have used another weapon to inflict damage?
I respect your right to your own opinion, but don't try to force it on those of us who refuse to be victims.
April Keller

Brunswick, GA

#27 Sep 6, 2007
Southern wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Stacey2...you are wrong again. I have had a loaded gun pointed at me on more than one occaision. Don't just assume because I am female I am Suzy homemaker. I retired after 15 years as a highway patrol officer. And those bad people who bought those guns legally to commit horrendous crimes, guess what. They would have gotten them anyway, had they been denied legal purchase. And if by some slim chance they were unable to obtain guns, don't you think they would have used another weapon to inflict damage?
I respect your right to your own opinion, but don't try to force it on those of us who refuse to be victims.
I am glad to see more and more woman on the force.I agree I am a recovery agent and have had guns pointed at me and since then I carry a gun anytime I am at work.Thank you for protecting us.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Sep 10, 2007
Stacey2 wrote:
Ok people scenario: what about the columbine shooters of the world who take the majority of the student body out, they got daddy’s guns which were registered and legal! What about the Sung Cho Ho’s of the world who took out over 34 innocent Virginia Tech college students on there way to making something of themselves. This guy who was a walking mental case still was able to get a gun in a legal fashion. I mean the list goes on and on and I could name case after case. Perhaps if it were not legal for these people to get the handguns and it wasmay be a little more difficult for them to get the weapons of mass destruction! And just perhaps if it took more time and more people to get involved for these people to get guns then perhaps someone would have talked and these 2 horrific cases COULD have been prevented.“Maybe just maybe”
I have always felt like in the Columbine incident that the parents should have been held liable for leaving their guns accessable to those two boys. The parents of one of those boys knew he wasn't right and had actually caught them at one time trying to make a bomb, go figure...they did nothing. As far as the VA shootings go, he had shown more then a few signs of his mental instability and the system let him down ultimately causing the death of those other college students. Guns should definetly be legal, the judicial system doesn't do enough to protect us and we have to be able to protect ourselves at all times. They can fine tune these laws to make them more effective, however our current President and house of congress have a whole nother agenda, and sadly enough the safety of the U.S. citizens are not a part of that.
popo

Brunswick, GA

#29 Jan 4, 2008
Mayor Bryan Thompson fears that street gangs may be responsible for an upsurge in violence in the city and county. via Brunswick News.

We should let the Gang Bangers kill each other. It would make the Police Work easier. These thugs getting killed are not angels, all had a rap sheets a mile long.
We should also get rid of Public Housing it is a breeding groud for gangs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angels Helping Hands Rescue Nov '17 Papa Lou 1
News As Son Died In Hot Car, Georgia Man Sent Teen S... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Shocked 1
Very Poor Example! (May '16) May '16 Disgusted and Fed Up 1
News Report: GOP Leaders Met With Elon Musk, Tim Coo... (Mar '16) Mar '16 biten back 1
News Home invader pistol whips man, leaves with cash (Feb '16) Feb '16 Curious 1
News Boy, 10, mauled by pit bulls (May '07) Jan '16 Downsoutht 15
News The heartwarming reason a 91-year-old veteran i... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Debra Davis 1
More from around the web