Police: Glynn County woman drowns daughter, tries to drown son and then takes her own life

Feb 16, 2010 Full story: Florida Times-Union 22

TERRY DICKSON/The Times-Union A Glynn County police investigator walks from his vehicle to the house where police say a woman drowned her 4-year-old daughter, tried to drown her 2-year-old son and then shot herself to death.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brunswick Girl

Brunswick, GA

#1 Feb 17, 2010
This is so tragic! Praying for the family and especially for the little boy.

“It is what it is”

Since: Aug 08

My business

#2 Feb 17, 2010
what the heck is up in Glynn County. Such horrific things going on down there.
BwkGirl

United States

#3 Feb 17, 2010
I live here and think the same thing! What the heck?? From all the local "gossip" that I have heard, she lived with her sister and mother, nice home - nice family from all appearances. Both of her kids were well taken care of by her as well as an extended family inside the home. She worked part time, EVEN placed a call around 9am yesterday morning to confirm her work schedule for that afternoon. Usually the 2yr old would ride to daycare with a fmaily member, but they were running late Tues. and asked Julia if she could drop him at day care herself. Julia hadn't "planned" in advance for him to stay home with her that morning, it just happened last minute. If the family member wouldn't have been running late then he would have left with them for daycare as usual. Soooo, does not seem to be premediated to happen that morning. HOW, HOW, do you go from talking to your family at 7am, calling into check your afternoon work schedule around 9am to trying to kill your kids and yourself around 10:30. SO SAD...Something SNAPPED!! The boy has been released from the hospital today and is doing fine. Ansli woke up this morning in Heaven, don't be sad for her, but please keep her family & friends in your prayers, she will be missed here on earth! I feel so bad for their loss, so many unanswered questions.something like this can never be antitipated,sometimes there are no signs, I pray they are not blaming themselves! I also pray that they lean on God to find peace and comfort. Beunswick is praying for the Murray family! I invite the Topix family to join us.

“It is what it is”

My business

#4 Feb 17, 2010
Yes we will pray for peace of understanding for this family. She most likely was depressed or bipolar and had been thinking of this on and off for awhile. I feel for her as well because she was struggling and didn't know how to get help. She was in a battle... Well the battle is over for her and I pray that she is in a good place now.
Susan Joseph

United States

#6 Feb 18, 2010
You know now a days we as people tend to forget about our neighbors we too have our own problem. But i justn want to say this one thing, please pay attension to your friends and family believe me there are always signs.We just get so caught up in our own things because we too may be going through something. we dont really know what this young lady was going through.We need to be there for each other as a people as christians because if you read Revalation we are definately living in the last days.People pay attention,read gods word.
We are gonna have questions but only God has the answer.
My prayers goes out to this family, may god be with you all. Just look to the heavens!
Susan Joseph

United States

#7 Feb 18, 2010
People asking what is going on down here in Brunswik. Well the same kind of rimes and tragedy is accuring in other states even other countries.
So, this is not just Brunswick. But if you really want answers please read Revalations.

Just study, its God's word not mine!

That's where all the answers are.

Have a Blessed Day people!!!!

“It is what it is”

My business

#8 Feb 18, 2010
Susan Joseph wrote:
People asking what is going on down here in Brunswik. Well the same kind of rimes and tragedy is accuring in other states even other countries.
So, this is not just Brunswick. But if you really want answers please read Revalations.
Just study, its God's word not mine!
That's where all the answers are.
Have a Blessed Day people!!!!
Your words are true, however, for a small place like Glynn County it is very shocking of the horrific crimes that have happen there. The Christopher Barrios case was HORRIFIC, barbaric and shocking. I have yet to read of such a story in the world, and believe me I have done my searches. Guy Henz killed his entire family, numerous baby killings, Baby Brianna (pee Paw’s grandbaby) which was horrific in itself because she probably had to endure a lot from her mother’s boyfriend. So the point is Glynn County is not a big city or even a small city, it’s a county and horrific things keep happening there…
Spellchecker

United States

#9 Feb 18, 2010
That's right, nothing heinous ever happens anywhere but little ol Glyn County Georgia.

SUITLAND, Md.(WUSA)-- The 8-month-old baby boy had no chance when bullets started flying from a high-powered assault rifle. The shooter, apparently aiming at the child's mother or father, killed Anthony Savoy III.

"It's a monstrous thing, you know. It seems like this world is just becoming a hellhole," said James Brown, a neighbor.

The father of four was on his way home from work when he stepped off a bus and into a nightmare. The parking lot of Shadyside Gardens Apartments had become a bloody murder scene shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday.

"The mother was hysterical and I felt the pain, started to cry myself," Brown said.

Prince George's County Police recovered at least 19 shell casings. Homicide investigators are trying to sort out the real target. Investigators say the heinous crime could be connected to a murder in the District last week. Sources say the baby's mother may have witnessed the murder. The killing might also be connected to the father.

"They are looking into the fact that this was not a random act. It appears that the victim was apparently targeted," said Officer Henry Tippett, police spokesman.

Witnesses told detectives that a dark, 4-door Chevy Impala fled from the Shadyside Gardens Apartments in Suitland. They provided a sketchy description of one suspect seen near 2641 Shadyside Avenue.

"They partially identified a suspect as a male with dreadlocks. He was wearing a black shirt and he was either heavy set or muscular stature," Tippett said.

The shooter blasted away, hitting the fence, the minivan and the baby's head. The 22-year-old father, a DC resident, was shot multiple times as he stood outside the minivan. He was last reported to be in stable condition.

"I saw the child on the ground by the truck and I'm just, you know. Very horrific sight to see considering the fact that I do have a child almost that age," Brown said.

Brown and other parents living at the Suitland complex hope police can get the killer off the streets and away from their kids. Investigators handed out flyers in the neighborhood lateThursday afternoon and asked for the public's help.
Spellchecker

United States

#10 Feb 18, 2010
Murder trial begins in case of Md. woman charged with killing daughters
The Maryland woman on trial for killing two of her adopted daughters and stuffing them into a freezer was actively trying to adopt more children, Montgomery County’s top prosecutor said during opening statements Wednesday in the murder case against Renee Bowman.

"She wanted a son," State's Attorney John McCarthy told jurors as part of a 35-minute opening that -- aided by autopsy photographs -- laid out how prosecutors believe that Bowman abused, maimed and tortured three adopted daughters, killing two of them.

Before their deaths, they'd been locked in a bedroom in a Rockville house and forced to urinate into a bucket, McCarthy said. Two of the children were killed by asphyxiation.

After her arrest, Bowman told investigators she smothered them, McCarthy said.

The surviving daughter, who is living with foster parents, was set to testify later Wednesday.

In his opening statement, defense attorney Ron Gottlieb spoke for about five minutes, and didn't offer a specific alternative version of events. But he said there was more to the case than what McCarthy had said, and implored jurors to keep an open mind.

"There is not enough evidence to convict Renee Bowman of first-degree murder," Gottlieb said.

McCarthy, speaking forcefully only a few feet from the jury box, said Bowman subjected the girls to a "house of horrors in Rockville" before killing two of the girls.

"She stuffed them into this freezer," McCarthy said, as an image of a freezer was projected.

Police have said Bowman moved from Rockville to Charles County to Calvert County, with the bodies in the freezer -- an assertion McCarthy repeated in court. The girls were stuffed into a chest-type freezer, which has a door on the top.

Another photo projected for jurors showed an image after the freezer door was lifted. Jurors could see what looked to be a toe, coming through a dark, plastic garbage bag, surrounded by cubed ice. "We are actually looking at the body of Jasmine Bowman," McCarthy said.

McCarthy played to jurors an audio tape of Bowman's interview with Calvert County detectives.

"The first one, the oldest one, was wrapped in a blanket, with ice thrown on top," Bowman told the detectives, according to the recording.

The second child "was probably wrapped up in a trash bag, a green trash bag," Bowman said.

She calmly sat through the morning’s proceedings, with little expression on her face.
McCarthy also read an e-mail Bowman had written to a friend while the family lived in Rockville.

"The girls, well, they're being themselves. They hate for me to be home, because I'm like the warden in the movie, the Green Mile, the guard used to walk the corridor and say,'Dead man walking.' I do that when they’re about to get in trouble. They hate it. Hahaha."
Spellchecker

United States

#11 Feb 18, 2010
How 'bout "Banita Jacks"? Do much research on her?

Disturbing New Details Revealed at Banita Jacks Trial posted 5:51 pm Tue July 21, 2009 - WASHINGTON from ABC 7 News - http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0709/642394.... are more disturbing details coming out Tuesday night in the trial of a mother accused of killing her daughters and then living with their decomposed bodies for months.

Two assistant medical examiners were drilled Tuesday about how they reached conclusions that Banita Jacks' three youngest daughters, N'kiah, Aja, and Tatianna were murdered.

Both testified the girls had ligature marks on their necks suggesting they had all been strangled. But all three bodies were discovered in such advanced decomposition, the doctors explained, the girls' bodies had mummified so they could not determine the exact cause of death.

For instance, looking at the girls eyes for telltale signs that they died from strangulation was impossible because their eyes were gone. But they said based on the neck markings, how the three little girls were found side by side in a bedroom as if they had been placed there, the fact their 16-year-old sister Brittany was found dead in the next bedroom with what they said appeared to be stab wounds, and that their mother was living in the home with the bodies for months -- they told the judge they ruled the manners of their deaths as homicides.

Officer Isaac Scott, one of the last known people to see the three younger daughters alive, also took the stand. He got the call to check on their welfare because they hadn't been in school. On April 30, 2007, he said he talked to Banita Jacks for more than an hour.

He said she told him she was homeschooling the girls but refused to let him inside the home. From the doorway, he says he saw the three little girls and explained to Jacks that she had to have documents and credentials before she could home school.

As for the girls he said, "They seemed healthy and clean...." And he said the mother told him, "She didn't need any help from the District."

After contacting child family services, Scott said he went back to house twice and drove past several more times but no one ever answered the door again.

“It is what it is”

My business

#12 Feb 18, 2010
Dana/SFS you are a pure IDIOT always have been and always will be. Leave these people alone on this thread. you always come and start trouble and dirty up the threads... go awayyyyy DANA McTaggart
Spellchecker

United States

#13 Feb 18, 2010
Maybe that person IS a "pure idiot" compared to an "impure idiot"? But that is not my name. I live in Brunswick and I'm tired of our town getting bashed by people who don't live here, and have never even travelled through here, based on the few heinous acts committed by sick individuals. How about spouting your rhetoric about our "little town" and what happens here somewhere else. Oh, and clean up your own trashy town first. It apparently is overrun with baby killing hood rats!
AJB

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Feb 19, 2010
Spellchecker wrote:
Maybe that person IS a "pure idiot" compared to an "impure idiot"? But that is not my name. I live in Brunswick and I'm tired of our town getting bashed by people who don't live here, and have never even travelled through here, based on the few heinous acts committed by sick individuals. How about spouting your rhetoric about our "little town" and what happens here somewhere else. Oh, and clean up your own trashy town first. It apparently is overrun with baby killing hood rats!
AMEN!!!!...MAYBE YOU ALL THINK OUR TOWN IS SO BAD BECAUSE ITS OBVIOUS YOU NEVER VISIT ANY OTHER SITES. OH, and lets not get started on Savannah. W.T.O.C reports some shooting or driveby almost every morning. What the hell Savannah do you live in??
sfs

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Feb 19, 2010
AJB wrote:
<quoted text> AMEN!!!!...MAYBE YOU ALL THINK OUR TOWN IS SO BAD BECAUSE ITS OBVIOUS YOU NEVER VISIT ANY OTHER SITES. OH, and lets not get started on Savannah. W.T.O.C reports some shooting or driveby almost every morning. What the hell Savannah do you live in??
LMFFAO! Are you kidding....and where are you at? Orange Park? Jacksonville, Jacksonville rated the most dangerous city in the U.S. to live in.....lol. Shut up about Savannah. And TG, SpellChecker isn't me. You moron. Just cause you and your lover Keona follow me around and harass me from here, to face book, to myspace and the like....doesn't mean I give a rats ass what ya'll are talkin about. How funny.

“It is what it is”

My business

#16 Feb 19, 2010
WOW Dana/SFS will come and dirty up every thread. We were discussing this case and that bored, lonely, clossal bag came and tried to make it all about her. SStick to the topics Dana/SFS and if you can't STAY OFF THE TREADS! we don't want you here. Now deal with it!

Since: Mar 10

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Mar 5, 2010
BwkGirl wrote:
I live here and think the same thing! What the heck?? From all the local "gossip" that I have heard, she lived with her sister and mother, nice home - nice family from all appearances. Both of her kids were well taken care of by her as well as an extended family inside the home. She worked part time, EVEN placed a call around 9am yesterday morning to confirm her work schedule for that afternoon. Usually the 2yr old would ride to daycare with a fmaily member, but they were running late Tues. and asked Julia if she could drop him at day care herself. Julia hadn't "planned" in advance for him to stay home with her that morning, it just happened last minute. If the family member wouldn't have been running late then he would have left with them for daycare as usual. Soooo, does not seem to be premediated to happen that morning. HOW, HOW, do you go from talking to your family at 7am, calling into check your afternoon work schedule around 9am to trying to kill your kids and yourself around 10:30. SO SAD...Something SNAPPED!! The boy has been released from the hospital today and is doing fine. Ansli woke up this morning in Heaven, don't be sad for her, but please keep her family & friends in your prayers, she will be missed here on earth! I feel so bad for their loss, so many unanswered questions.something like this can never be antitipated,sometimes there are no signs, I pray they are not blaming themselves! I also pray that they lean on God to find peace and comfort. Beunswick is praying for the Murray family! I invite the Topix family to join us.
Well what about the Father of the children?, I've heard there side of it according to news. they disregarded him has part of the family and the children.
Michelle

United States

#18 Mar 5, 2010
This is just to sad to wrap your mind around,especially if your a mom
Michelle

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2010
Technology Girl wrote:
<quoted text>Your words are true, however, for a small place like Glynn County it is very shocking of the horrific crimes that have happen there. The Christopher Barrios case was HORRIFIC, barbaric and shocking. I have yet to read of such a story in the world, and believe me I have done my searches. Guy Henz killed his entire family, numerous baby killings, Baby Brianna (pee Paw’s grandbaby) which was horrific in itself because she probably had to endure a lot from her mother’s boyfriend. So the point is Glynn County is not a big city or even a small city, it’s a county and horrific things keep happening there…
Seriously,DO YOU GUYS REALLY NOT LOOK AT ANY OTHER CITY??
Michelle

United States

#20 Mar 5, 2010
sfs wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFFAO! Are you kidding....and where are you at? Orange Park? Jacksonville, Jacksonville rated the most dangerous city in the U.S. to live in.....lol. Shut up about Savannah. And TG, SpellChecker isn't me. You moron. Just cause you and your lover Keona follow me around and harass me from here, to face book, to myspace and the like....doesn't mean I give a rats ass what ya'll are talkin about. How funny.
Ummm..... ya might wanna check out savannahs crime..theft..home invasions...drivebys...gangs.. just have a quick look at the statistics. Its a beautiful city,but like most of them,the freaks come out at night.

Since: Mar 10

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Mar 5, 2010
I'd like to hear the father of the childrens side of it , the Media should talk to the father, instead of just a one sided story of this obvious sad tradgity, he's got a right to be heard, espeacially the way that family's attitude towards the father,which seemed questionable since they remarked how he wasn't part of the family as well as the childrens,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic violence dentist Dec 1 Cross creek 1
10-year-old girl injured in St. Simons Island h... Aug '14 I Hate Syracuse 1
katie collins and genoa reed (Mar '14) Jul '14 Carla miller 2
Case In PointTHE F.T.C. Challenges Hydrogen Kit... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Help 1
Georgia State Rep. Jason Spencer, challenger Na... (May '14) May '14 you darn 2
Student faces weapons charge Tyler Heinze, 17, ... (Mar '11) Mar '14 London 18
Search efforts continue on Mackay River (Mar '14) Mar '14 tgp 1
More from around the web