ConstanceEMINENT Domain in the Golden Isles

Full story: American Reporter

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. -- From my home the "mainland" is a drive across the causeway into Brunswick, Ga.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2008
Warnin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

We are fortunate in Glynn County to have a very intelligent, thoughtful group of County Commissioners. They do not act in haste, they have open meetings, have studies done, consult with the primary users of facilities and make decisions based on their collective judgement. Seven commissioners then feel it is in the best interest of the county to move in a certain direction and expand an existing facility (one that has been in place for over 20 years). Now every loony in the county has made a much noise as possible in opposition to this decision. They even had a recall effort and publicized an organizing meeting. Seventy five people showed up and I doubt if more than ten of the 75 were residents of the commissioners district. Efforts were made by the county to purchase the property needed to expand and all was going well until a local manufacturer bought some of the property the county needed to buy for the expansion. This business man and a community "anchor business" (a chain convenience store)are standing in the way and Eminent Domain is in process to acquire the land. A judge (out of the area) has ruled against the C Store and businessman and the purchase is moving forward. This property is not high value residential or business property and this action is being supported by both the law enforcement and judicial communities. This entire matter boils down to a few local residents trying to make money off this situation. They don't have the county's interest in mind, only their own. There were multiple opportunities for opinions to be expressed through established channels, but this group chose to not open their mouths until after the decision had been made. Eminent Domain proceeding were made necessary by the actions of fewer than 25 people. I would hope the county can charge them for any additional tax dollars that have to be spent because of their actions.
Wise 1

Brunswick, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

There is no place for more jail space in downtown, there is no reason to kick innocent people out of their homes!!!!!!!

Take the money and build a bigger jail facility out
in the county somewhere, leave innocent people alone.
Truthteller

Brunswick, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

Which Commissioner are you?
Wise1

Brunswick, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2008

you must be talking to warnin because there would be no way I would take part in or approve of innocent people losing their homes.

There is no way that I would even associate with the likes of these criminals.
abc

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

People's property rights should not be infringed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Glynn County Discussions

Search the Glynn County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Case In PointTHE F.T.C. Challenges Hydrogen Kit... Jun '14 Help 1
Georgia State Rep. Jason Spencer, challenger Na... May '14 you darn 2
Student faces weapons charge Tyler Heinze, 17, ... (Mar '11) Mar '14 London 18
Search efforts continue on Mackay River Mar '14 tgp 1
katie collins and genoa reed Mar '14 Agaisntabuse 1
Brunswick man fatally shot in target practice a... Mar '14 bored 2
Bracie Mangram (May '07) Feb '14 Braja 7
•••
•••