Terrified' Carleton student spent 11 ...

Terrified' Carleton student spent 11 hours in Georgia jail for minor traffic violation

There are 15 comments on the Ottawa Citizen story from Apr 9, 2007, titled Terrified' Carleton student spent 11 hours in Georgia jail for minor traffic violation. In it, Ottawa Citizen reports that:

“This shouldn't happen. It's ridiculous.”

A 23-year-old Carleton University master's student is outraged and demanding an apology from Georgia officials after spending more than 11 uncomfortable hours in a detention centre for running a stop sign and ... via Ottawa Citizen

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ottawa Citizen.

straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Apr 10, 2007
welcome to georgia, ya'll come back now here....

The Big Time

“Runs Like a Deere”

Since: Jan 07

Forest Park, GA

#2 Apr 10, 2007
We'll just call it some continuing education then,

Your attitude toward the Officer will directly affect the outcome of your encounter.....

So bring that same "Mouth" to court with you, and it will work out even better for you.......

and Remember Glynco has it's own zip code....

The Georgia State Patrol can issue a citation for "One Mile an Hour" over the posted speed limit......so just think how much fun they can put you through if you really want to push it....
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#3 Apr 10, 2007
The Big Time wrote:
We'll just call it some continuing education then,
Your attitude toward the Officer will directly affect the outcome of your encounter.....
So bring that same "Mouth" to court with you, and it will work out even better for you.......
and Remember Glynco has it's own zip code....
The Georgia State Patrol can issue a citation for "One Mile an Hour" over the posted speed limit......so just think how much fun they can put you through if you really want to push it....
Sometimes it really doesn't matter what your attitude is with the police, county or state! There are alot of ego maniac officers out there who think because they make 30 or 40 grand a year and have a badge and a uniform they can treat good law abiding citizens (and non in this case) anyway they like. Why does it seem like they go for the easy stuff, like someone not making a full stop at a sign or going over the speed limit, but they will ride by an obvious drug deal going down and not do anything about it? Why do I see dozens of juveniles roaming the streets when they are suppose to be in school, and nothing gets done about it. If they are soooo concerned about traffic laws, they should be setting examples, how many of them have sped past you lately for no particular reason, no blue lights no nothing.
John

Canada

#4 Apr 10, 2007
It appears that Canadians should avoid visting or passing through Georgia now.
John

Richmond, VA

#5 Apr 10, 2007
Overwhelmed jail guards will toss the roudy female inmates a peice of fresh meat on occasion just to keep them pacified.
Marietta Gal

Atlanta, GA

#6 Apr 10, 2007
I guess that a Masters Degree would have helped save any people that may have been killed or injured as a result of this speeding and running of stop signs.

I'm sure it is all a terrible misunderstanding.

Maybe wearing a laminated copy of a degree around the neck will put an end to any further misunderstandings should the driver be stopped for additional wreckless driving in the future.
Gary

Mississauga, Canada

#7 Apr 12, 2007
The posted responses are unreal. You pride yourselves on liberty and freedom. You should be outraged. If your police will do this to a 23 year old women regardless of nationality what do they do to others?
Gary

Mississauga, Canada

#8 Apr 12, 2007
Marietta Gal wrote:
I guess that a Masters Degree would have helped save any people that may have been killed or injured as a result of this speeding and running of stop signs.
I'm sure it is all a terrible misunderstanding.
Maybe wearing a laminated copy of a degree around the neck will put an end to any further misunderstandings should the driver be stopped for additional wreckless driving in the future.
it must be terribly hard for you to humble and perfect in every way.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Apr 12, 2007
Gary wrote:
The posted responses are unreal. You pride yourselves on liberty and freedom. You should be outraged. If your police will do this to a 23 year old women regardless of nationality what do they do to others?
Ain't that somthin Gary? Meanwhile we got a family of pedophiles awaiting trial in Brunswick, Ga. for raping and killing one of our most preciouse little boys. The main monstor in the story had already been in court twice for sexual offenses, and the daddy monster had a prior record as well, but instead of locking them up and throwing away the key, for violating the first slap on the wrist they were just slapped again and told to move from away from the playground they lived near and allowed to move to a trailor park full of children. And get this: the same idiot judge who placed the monster on probation for his sexual offenses the first time, will be the one trying the monsters case this time. So you see the lesson here is, you can rape and kill our babies in Georgia, just don't be an out of towner and run a stop sign!
Anti-Georgian

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Apr 12, 2007
We travel through Georgia every year to goto Florida for the winter. Georgia seems to be the only state that has signs for increased speeding tickets for construction.....but....all other states have the same signs but they say when workers present. We just went through there last week and there wasn't a worker to be found, yet a pile of cops in I-75. What a cash grab for the police. We are now avoiding Georgia from now on. Sweet home Alabama here we come. Canadians should avoid Georgia at all costs.
Quote: Liberal MP and opposition critic for consular affairs, Dan McTeague, said he has never encountered anything as "obvious or aggrevious" as the Kuehn situation.
"Consular officials will certainly be pressed to clarify this is not standard procedure in Georgia, and if it is standard procedure in Georgia, Canadians should be warned it is not a good idea to travel to Georgia anytime soon."

The Big Time

“Runs Like a Deere”

Since: Jan 07

Forest Park, GA

#11 Apr 12, 2007
Gary wrote:
look at what yours does to it's own....
seems like canadian citizens should not even be in canada, so good day

Andrew Seymour, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Thursday, April 12, 2007
A homeless man shown being repeatedly punched and kneed by an Ottawa police
officer in a surveillance video said Thursday he doesn't believe the officer used excessive force

Const. Bargh is charged with unlawful or unnecessary use of authority under
the Police Services Act.
On Wednesday, a surveillance video from the Murray Street shelter that
showed the constable delivering multiple knee strikes along with five
punches to Mr. Duhamel‚s head area was entered into evidence.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/stor...
John

Richmond, VA

#12 Apr 13, 2007
Anti-Georgian wrote:
We travel through Georgia every year to goto Florida for the winter. Georgia seems to be the only state that has signs for increased speeding tickets for construction.....but....all other states have the same signs but they say when workers present. We just went through there last week and there wasn't a worker to be found, yet a pile of cops in I-75. What a cash grab for the police. We are now avoiding Georgia from now on. Sweet home Alabama here we come. Canadians should avoid Georgia at all costs.
Quote: Liberal MP and opposition critic for consular affairs, Dan McTeague, said he has never encountered anything as "obvious or aggrevious" as the Kuehn situation.
"Consular officials will certainly be pressed to clarify this is not standard procedure in Georgia, and if it is standard procedure in Georgia, Canadians should be warned it is not a good idea to travel to Georgia anytime soon."
It's always a good idea to decrease speed when traveling through a construction zone, even when there are no workers on site. There can be debree or cones in the road, closed lanes, etc.
Also, the city of Atlanta has notoriously bad drivers, so the DOT needs to cover their ass with additional warnings. If the city needs to fund more road repair projects, it seems more fair to shift the economic burden to speeders in the form of tickets than to raise taxes.
straight from savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Apr 13, 2007
Anti-Georgian wrote:
It is sad that the way the politics and laws are here would keep people from coming thru or visiting. The state of Georgia in my opinion is a beautiful one, with the swamp on one end and beautiful mountains on the other, red clay mud and boiled peanuts you can't beat it. Most people, ordinary citizens that I have met since I have been living here are a pleasure to meet, and out of all the cities I have ever visited and there have been quite a few, Atlanta has to be the prettiest skyline to set your eyes on, especially at night. The most fun I have ever had I had in Atlanta and Gainsville Ga. I love the state, I hate it that Canadians and other non-georgians would let media attention like this keep them from coming, however....I do understand. It is a pity.
SHAN

North Charleston, SC

#14 Apr 18, 2007
GOOD OLD BOYS ARE TAKING REVENGE FOR CIVIL WAR
Dor

Sarnia, Canada

#15 May 31, 2007
What a disgusting human being.

"Im not a terrorist, I'm blonde and petite?"

"They treated me like an immigrant"?

Please lady. Maybe you should re-think a life in social work if this is your world view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As Son Died In Hot Car, Georgia Man Sent Teen S... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Shocked 1
Very Poor Example! (May '16) May '16 Disgusted and Fed Up 1
News Report: GOP Leaders Met With Elon Musk, Tim Coo... (Mar '16) Mar '16 biten back 1
News Home invader pistol whips man, leaves with cash (Feb '16) Feb '16 Curious 1
News Boy, 10, mauled by pit bulls (May '07) Jan '16 Downsoutht 15
News The heartwarming reason a 91-year-old veteran i... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Debra Davis 1
Caroline Small's Murder (Jul '15) Jul '15 civilliberty 4
More from around the web