Court again rules for county over landowner A state court ruled again ...

May 7, 2010 Full story: Brunswick News

Court again rules for county over landowner 5/7/2010 By NEVIN BATIWALLA The Brunswick News A state court ruled again in favor of Glynn County in the eminent domain challenge by a landowner trying to block the planned downtown expansion of the county jail.

Full Story
Just me

Brunswick, GA

#1 May 14, 2010
"I have created this website to help clarify and dispel some of the inaccuracies and the misinformation involving the issue of where the Glynn County Detention Center (“GCDC”) should be located. The issue, which has been the source of significant controversy for the past three years, is whether the GCDC should be expanded in downtown Brunswick or should it be moved to a remote location in the county.

During this time, it has become very difficult to separate fact from fiction, so I have attempted to supply you with the pertinent documents along with a quick “bullet” format which identifies the notable substance in each document. I hope that you will have the time to look at this site in detail and I trust that it will be of some benefit to you.

As you may already know, my most recent judicial appeal was to Judge Rose to re-consider what, I believe, was a seriously flawed decision that resulted in Glynn County condemning two pieces of property that I own in downtown Brunswick. Unfortunately, despite a concerted effort by our state General Assembly to restrict the indiscriminate use of eminent domain, the courts continue to allow governmental authorities to take private property at any time for any purpose. I believe that is wrong and I believe that our founding fathers would be appalled at this governmental abuse.

I have decided that I have made my contribution to the preservation of the city of Brunswick and its sovereign right to determine its own future. I do not intend to take any additional legal steps to fight the overreach of the Glynn County government.

During the course of my fight against the abuse of eminent domain, a lawsuit was filed in federal District Court which is styled Browning v. Glynn County et al. This case arose from the violation of an individual’s civil rights, amongst other claims contained in the original complaint. Catherine Browning was attempting to exercise her First Amendment rights of redress at a regular meeting of the Glynn County Board of Commissioners (“BOC”) when she was brutally arrested and jailed in the GCDC. Further, her complaint alleges various other allegations of governmental abuse and misconduct, not the least of which is the egregious misuse of SPLOST funds.

I have decided that it is time to pass the baton to Mrs. Browning and her capable lawyers, Mary Helen Moses and Doug Alexander. I intend to support them in their quest to assure that we have good governance in Glynn County in the future. They understand the importance of having the City of Brunswick prosper and they understand, as do most of the citizens of Glynn County, that it will benefit all of the citizens of Glynn County if the City of Brunswick grows and prospers. Clearly an expanding jail in the densely populated central business district will stop that progress.

Thank you for your interest in the future of the City of Brunswick and Glynn County. Please continue your support of the federal lawsuit, including the support of Mary Helen Moses and Doug Alexander.

Bob Torras, Sr.

Director

Defend Downtown Brunswick"
Just me

Brunswick, GA

#2 May 14, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Domestic violence dentist Dec 1 Cross creek 1
10-year-old girl injured in St. Simons Island h... Aug '14 I Hate Syracuse 1
katie collins and genoa reed (Mar '14) Jul '14 Carla miller 2
Case In PointTHE F.T.C. Challenges Hydrogen Kit... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Help 1
Georgia State Rep. Jason Spencer, challenger Na... (May '14) May '14 you darn 2
Student faces weapons charge Tyler Heinze, 17, ... (Mar '11) Mar '14 London 18
Search efforts continue on Mackay River (Mar '14) Mar '14 tgp 1
More from around the web