Gloucester supervisors to consider sp...

Gloucester supervisors to consider spending money to fight GA bill

There are 2 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jan 14, 2011, titled Gloucester supervisors to consider spending money to fight GA bill. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Supervisors will discuss at their meeting Tuesday night whether or not to use $1,000 in taxpayer funds to help the Virginia Association of Counties fight a General Assembly bill introduced earlier this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Think about it

Hayes, VA

#1 Jan 15, 2011
Maybe there should be a compromise. If a citizen hires an outside appraiser and the BOE changes the assessment based on the citizen's information, then the County pays the citizen's documented expenses. But if the assessment is upheld or raised, then the citizen gets nothing.

This way, inaccurate assessments are rectified, the property owner isn't out any money, the county doesn't have to expend large amounts of taxpayer money for everyone who wants to have their assessment overturned just because he doesn't like it.

It should also keep the county on their toes with assessments. However, going back to hiring an outside firm doesn't make sense. I have never seen anyone satisfied with the outside assessors. Seems to me, Ressler was so vocal about the previous outside assessor it was obscene. While I agree, the last assessment wasn't the best, at least the work was accountable to county instead of a consultant who can just walk away.
Just had to say it

Hayes, VA

#2 Jan 16, 2011
You got that right!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man sentenced to 5 years for soliciting Glouces... Feb 9 meh plus 1
News 4 juvenile suspects identified in vandalized Ch... Dec '16 meh plus 1
News Stafford High transgender senior speaks out on ... Dec '16 meh plus 1
News Trump and Transgender Student Rights - An Early... Nov '16 meh plus 1
News Reader: Schools should wait for Supreme Court, ... Nov '16 meh plus 4
News Supreme Court has not decided if it will hear G... Nov '16 meh plus 8
News News 2 mins ago 5:21 p.m.Gloucester board of su... Sep '16 meh 1
More from around the web