Virginia Trial Lawyers Association ta...

Virginia Trial Lawyers Association takes on Gloucester 40 case

There are 51 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jun 9, 2010, titled Virginia Trial Lawyers Association takes on Gloucester 40 case. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The Gloucester 40 have some new friends at the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, an organization with the motto, "Preserving and protecting justice for all Virginians." The association has filed an amicus brief with the Virginia Supreme Court, written by Charlottesville attorney John E. Davidson, arguing that Judge Westbrook J. Parker misused a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lost cause

Gloucester, VA

#47 Jun 25, 2010
another time wrote:
<quoted text>
Think, Bill is blinded by his love for the foul 4, so he will not see it any other way other than the 40 were wrong and need to be punished. Save your breath for congratulating the 40 when there appeal comes through at years end.
You guys are a lost cause: It does not matter how politically wrong the 4 were, it does not Justify the Abuse of the Judicial System that the 40 did. I have never seen or heard of two wrongs making a RIGHT. I claim it is YOU that are blinded by the wrongs of the 4, that makes the 40 right, which is not the truth. If we cannot have trust in our Judicial System, we have nothing. This Abuse of the Judicial System is much more damaging to our basic way of life/values, than anything a corrupt political figure could ever imagine to dream up. A corrupt Judicial System can not be allowed, no matter how bad our politicians act. Political suicide cannot and should not be twisted into a Judicial suicide.
Hayes Maze

Newport News, VA

#48 Jun 25, 2010
another time wrote:
<quoted text>
Think, Bill is blinded by his love for the foul 4, so he will not see it any other way other than the 40 were wrong and need to be punished. Save your breath for congratulating the 40 when there appeal comes through at years end.
Do you have trouble reading? The good doctor has taken the stand that the 40 were not bad, just not the brightest people. That they should have retained a lawyer, or read the law. He has publicly stated that it is the commonwealth's attorney and a daily press reporter that were the instigators and that ought to pay. I also heard that he may be receiving, sorry, let me get the terms correct, that he was 'offered' a settlement on his lawsuit against the county that is significantly larger than TA received in her settlement. Either TA didn't get 'squat', or someone is playing a very bad joke.
Should have said it

Gloucester, VA

#49 Jun 25, 2010
Ahab the Whaler wrote:
<quoted text>
*lol* oil glistening off her shoulders *lol* Are you talkin about a beached whale covered with BP oil?
Now that was nasy, I think. Maybe BP oil would be some kind of treatment--whatcha say?
interesting

Teaneck, NJ

#50 Oct 6, 2010
wow....
Think about it

Norfolk, VA

#51 Oct 11, 2010
Hayes Maze wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have trouble reading? The good doctor has taken the stand that the 40 were not bad, just not the brightest people. That they should have retained a lawyer, or read the law. He has publicly stated that it is the commonwealth's attorney and a daily press reporter that were the instigators and that ought to pay. I also heard that he may be receiving, sorry, let me get the terms correct, that he was 'offered' a settlement on his lawsuit against the county that is significantly larger than TA received in her settlement. Either TA didn't get 'squat', or someone is playing a very bad joke.

Well, we all know now bill didn't get any monetary settlement from the county on his assessment lawsuit. He got his assessment lowered from the settlement. So we all know his credibility.

And funny how only bill says the forty "weren't very bright and should have hired a lawyer". I find it disgusting that a citizens group would need a lawyer to remove politicians who usurp their position for personal gain. He keeps glossying over that issue.

And funny how bill continues to blame this whole mess on Hicks and Matt Sabo. I don't remember Hicks and Sabo firing people in the wee hours of the morning, and seizing computers, and changing school board funding and hiring an unqualified interim county administrator and then pressuring a county employee to do the bidding of a campign contributor. Nope, we know who was responsible for that.
why not

Gloucester, VA

#52 Oct 12, 2010
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>.
Well, we all know now bill didn't get any monetary settlement from the county on his assessment lawsuit. He got his assessment lowered from the settlement. So we all know his credibility.
And funny how only bill says the forty "weren't very bright and should have hired a lawyer". I find it disgusting that a citizens group would need a lawyer to remove politicians who usurp their position for personal gain. He keeps glossying over that issue.
And funny how bill continues to blame this whole mess on Hicks and Matt Sabo. I don't remember Hicks and Sabo firing people in the wee hours of the morning, and seizing computers, and changing school board funding and hiring an unqualified interim county administrator and then pressuring a county employee to do the bidding of a campign contributor. Nope, we know who was responsible for that.
Yep that's exactly what you fail to understand, that the group of forty should have to follow LAW, instead of passion, while taking the 4 to Court, accusing the 4 of wrong doing. Yep you just don't understand that the accuser, has to be just as lawful, as the accused. Someday you will figure out that, Two wrongs don't make a right, but then again you probably will not.
Think about it

Charlottesville, VA

#55 Oct 13, 2010
why not wrote:
<quoted text>Yep that's exactly what you fail to understand, that the group of forty should have to follow LAW, instead of passion, while taking the 4 to Court, accusing the 4 of wrong doing. Yep you just don't understand that the accuser, has to be just as lawful, as the accused. Someday you will figure out that, Two wrongs don't make a right, but then again you probably will not.
Well, I'm glad you finally admit the four supervisors were WRONG! That's a first step in healing. And again, I don't believe they were wrong and until the Va. Supreme Court Rules, they weren't wrong. The only thing wrong in the sanctions was a judge trying to legislate from the bench.
hmmm

Gloucester, VA

#56 Oct 13, 2010
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm glad you finally admit the four supervisors were WRONG! That's a first step in healing. And again, I don't believe they were wrong and until the Va. Supreme Court Rules, they weren't wrong. The only thing wrong in the sanctions was a judge trying to legislate from the bench.
I think, if I'm reading this correctly, you mean that the 40 were NOT wrong...... which is what I believe......
I also believe the 40 were exercising their constitutional right for redress of government because they lost trust in the BOS 4 to govern correctly because of their actions (not telling the other 2 members about the hiring of TA's friend/campaign advisor Lacy Smith, who had no municipal experience and paying $10k/month PLUS Smart Tag, County Car.... anything else?
Thanks TAI for standing strong.
Think about it

Louisa, VA

#57 Oct 14, 2010
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
I think, if I'm reading this correctly, you mean that the 40 were NOT wrong...... which is what I believe......
I also believe the 40 were exercising their constitutional right for redress of government because they lost trust in the BOS 4 to govern correctly because of their actions (not telling the other 2 members about the hiring of TA's friend/campaign advisor Lacy Smith, who had no municipal experience and paying $10k/month PLUS Smart Tag, County Car.... anything else?
Thanks TAI for standing strong.
Yes, there was the intimidation of the rest of county staff by the Foul Four the morning after the firings, but letting them know if they didn't do as they were told, even if it wasn't what was right, they would be fired. This was shown a week later when a county employee was told by two supervisors to do the bidding of a major campign contributor by giving his project a favorable ruling, which was against his will or he would be fired. Lacy Smith's memorable comment, "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

The sad part is the list wrong doings is even longer, yet much of the public doesn't know because the intimidation still continues and will until the remaining three are voted out of office.
why not

Gloucester, VA

#59 Oct 15, 2010
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there was the intimidation of the rest of county staff by the Foul Four the morning after the firings, but letting them know if they didn't do as they were told, even if it wasn't what was right, they would be fired. This was shown a week later when a county employee was told by two supervisors to do the bidding of a major campign contributor by giving his project a favorable ruling, which was against his will or he would be fired. Lacy Smith's memorable comment, "Is this the hill you want to die on?"
The sad part is the list wrong doings is even longer, yet much of the public doesn't know because the intimidation still continues and will until the remaining three are voted out of office.
You appear to see county employees in a different light than most, I see them as servants,to the tax payer, not some kind of nobility. They are know as public servants. As long as people like you see them as the controllers, you will serve them.
Think about it

Frederick, MD

#60 Oct 15, 2010
why not wrote:
<quoted text>You appear to see county employees in a different light than most, I see them as servants,to the tax payer, not some kind of nobility. They are know as public servants. As long as people like you see them as the controllers, you will serve them.
Well, with your eyesight, it's obvious you can't read. Refering to public employees as "servants" is to refer to them as doing the YOUR bidding, however, public employees follow the code and rules set by the Board of Supervisors to ASSIST the public, BUT, they serve at the direction of the County Administrator. There's a big distinction there.

Individual Board members have no power, so they should not direct public employees to do anything. Board members act as a group, and when individual Board members usurp that authority by independently directing county employees to do their bidding, then we have a hugh problem.

Most municipal employees that I know, take their job seriously and work hard to do what is right for the public within the limits allowed by law and county code. But as in ANY employment situation, when the boss (or individual Board Member) uses intimidation to achieve results, productivity goes down. And a loss of productivity is a waste of taxpayer money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 4 juvenile suspects identified in vandalized Ch... Dec '16 meh plus 1
News Stafford High transgender senior speaks out on ... Dec '16 meh plus 1
News Trump and Transgender Student Rights - An Early... Nov '16 meh plus 1
News Reader: Schools should wait for Supreme Court, ... Nov '16 meh plus 4
News Supreme Court has not decided if it will hear G... Nov '16 meh plus 8
News News 2 mins ago 5:21 p.m.Gloucester board of su... Sep '16 meh 1
Applebees bar tonight 8/22/16 Aug '16 BlueskysBlueeyes 1
More from around the web