This could be an expensive day for Gloucester County

Jan 11, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Today's Virginia Supreme Court hearing on the Gloucester 40 appeal could potentially hurt Gloucester in the pocketbook.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Just had to say it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Judged:

Who's fault would that be? I suggest that question should be presented to the last three left on the BOS(Whressler, Woodhead and cuty pie Crewe. Lets see--from today, those three have about 352 days left to do dirty work(HHU).
Jason

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

Judged:

So what happed
Think about it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

The Supreme Court of Va. heard the arguements and will make their ruling later after studing the supporting briefs and researching the legal precedents.
Jason

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
The Supreme Court of Va. heard the arguements and will make their ruling later after studing the supporting briefs and researching the legal precedents.
thanks keep me info thanks
Herman

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

So, why didn't the headline read 'This could be a great day for justice in gloucester when the 40 are taught that there are rules'.....
Think about it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Personally, I don't see how this will cost the county anything other than hard feelings amongst the voters. Should the Supreme Court rule in favor of the Four Sups and their friend, Judge Parker, they Gloucester 40 will have to pay their $2,000.00 sanctions to Gloucester (to offset the legal bills of the same Four Sups paid by the County), yet there will no doubt be very hard feelings for everyone else because most of Gloucester believes the Gloucester 40 had just cause to pursue their actions. At least over 80% in the York District.

But it will be even a bigger loss for the people of the Commonwealth. Why? Other people who feel their political leaders are doing wrong will have to wait before voting them out, thus allowing the unscrupulous politicians unchecked power in serving their own interests, knowing the people will be too nervous to petition for removal having the fear of sanctions hanging over them.

And as for the tired old arguement that the Gloucester 40 didn't get proper legal advice, what lawyer or law group would want to advise them? They too could be drawn into costly sanctions.

However, if the Sanctions are overturned, the people will feel a sense of empowerment to petition to oust poor political leadership, even if it doesn't work, it puts politicians on notice that the people are watching, hence they had better do the will of the people, not a select few.

THINK ABOUT IT
commenter

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Dear TAI:
Thank You. Wish I could have said this as well.
CYM

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
Personally, I don't see how this will cost the county anything other than hard feelings amongst the voters. Should the Supreme Court rule in favor of the Four Sups and their friend, Judge Parker, they Gloucester 40 will have to pay their $2,000.00 sanctions to Gloucester (to offset the legal bills of the same Four Sups paid by the County), yet there will no doubt be very hard feelings for everyone else because most of Gloucester believes the Gloucester 40 had just cause to pursue their actions. At least over 80% in the York District.
But it will be even a bigger loss for the people of the Commonwealth. Why? Other people who feel their political leaders are doing wrong will have to wait before voting them out, thus allowing the unscrupulous politicians unchecked power in serving their own interests, knowing the people will be too nervous to petition for removal having the fear of sanctions hanging over them.
And as for the tired old arguement that the Gloucester 40 didn't get proper legal advice, what lawyer or law group would want to advise them? They too could be drawn into costly sanctions.
However, if the Sanctions are overturned, the people will feel a sense of empowerment to petition to oust poor political leadership, even if it doesn't work, it puts politicians on notice that the people are watching, hence they had better do the will of the people, not a select few.
THINK ABOUT IT
Why do i discuss with the intellectually void? The courts are there to INTERPRET the law, not to legislate. The 40 did not follow the law, simple. If you don't agree with that then change the law, until then they were not following the law as specified in VA code. They were/are a vindictive group who has never cared about the law, they intimidate, threaten, and bully others, much like the been here's in clay bank have treated Dr D. Their mothers were afraid to spank them when they were little, much like your mother should have made you go to school.
Think about it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Judged:

CYM wrote:
<quoted text>Why do i discuss with the intellectually void? The courts are there to INTERPRET the law, not to legislate. The 40 did not follow the law, simple. If you don't agree with that then change the law, until then they were not following the law as specified in VA code. They were/are a vindictive group who has never cared about the law, they intimidate, threaten, and bully others, much like the been here's in clay bank have treated Dr D. Their mothers were afraid to spank them when they were little, much like your mother should have made you go to school.
Ahhhh, bill..I knew my response would get you to come out and show your pathetic little face on these forums. And I guessed right, you attack as Cym, speaking about yourself in the third person. But again, you're wrong. The Gloucester 40 acted out of civic duty. To do what they, and most of Gloucester, perceived to be a board not following up on their campign promises, but rather doing the bidding of a few. Look who was in the audience into the wee hours of the morning to watch it. Ahhhh, but a little thing like the facts never stopped you from spewing your venom against the majority of the county. Much like you do in Clay Bank. Alas, I digress... the fact of the matter is much greater than INTERPRETING the law. It's called the rights of the People. Go read the Bill of Rights and maybe you'll understand. If the Supreme Court rules against the 40, then my rights AND yours will be taken away. If courts can rule like Judge Parker (sanctions in this case has NEVER been done before), then you could have been sent to jail for many years. But that is why we have higher courts, for even lowlifes like yourself, to be treated fairly.

But I have confidence the Supreme Court will strike down the sanctions. Many legal scholars agree that the sanctions send the WRONG message to the people. Even the General Assembly agreed.
Just had to say it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Judged:

CYM wrote:
<quoted text>Why do i discuss with the intellectually void? The courts are there to INTERPRET the law, not to legislate. The 40 did not follow the law, simple. If you don't agree with that then change the law, until then they were not following the law as specified in VA code. They were/are a vindictive group who has never cared about the law, they intimidate, threaten, and bully others, much like the been here's in clay bank have treated Dr D. Their mothers were afraid to spank them when they were little, much like your mother should have made you go to school.
It appears like you need a huge and large crying towel Mr D
Think about it

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Judged:

commenter wrote:
Dear TAI:
Thank You. Wish I could have said this as well.
Thank you...*taking a bow*. I do have a passion about this issue and it's affect on the County. I have direct knowledge of things those four Board members did after that fateful meeting of Jan. 2/3 2008. It would like nothing any politician has done before. Very disturbing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••