Gloucester supervisors to discuss leg...

Gloucester supervisors to discuss legal fees

There are 75 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Gloucester supervisors to discuss legal fees. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Here's the catch: the money reflects work the attorneys performed for four - a majority - of the seven-member Board of Supervisors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#72 Apr 18, 2009
just think wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right, we shall see in Nov. Which is where this should have taken place all along, not through a bogus lawsuit taking up our courts precious time. She is way to smart for any of you. You may have a very small chance to beat her but it will be done at the POLLS not in COURT! BTW...at least she will get her atty fees first. haha!
Very small chance to beat Altemus at the polls John? Now you have lost all touch with reality.

Way too smart? Now you're a comedian.

just think

Gloucester, VA

#73 Apr 18, 2009
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Very small chance to beat Altemus at the polls John? Now you have lost all touch with reality.
Way too smart? Now you're a comedian.
Remind me...Sue, Elaine or whoever you are. what did she do illegal? what law did she BREAK? Don't try to say she stepped on feelings of two who tendered resignations anyway...give me something real. WHAT HAS SHE DONE SO WRONG? Make sure what you say is the real deal...not what you thought or what you wanted to happen. What exactly has she done illegal? Specifics only!!!!!
Think about it

Williamsburg, OH

#75 Apr 19, 2009
just think wrote:
<quoted text>
Remind me...Sue, Elaine or whoever you are. what did she do illegal? what law did she BREAK? Don't try to say she stepped on feelings of two who tendered resignations anyway...give me something real. WHAT HAS SHE DONE SO WRONG? Make sure what you say is the real deal...not what you thought or what you wanted to happen. What exactly has she done illegal? Specifics only!!!!!
How about hiring a close friend as the interim county administrator, a man who had no experience in local government, a man who admitted he was hired BEFORE the first meeting of this board. She had no right to hire Lacy Smith, even those board members elect. They hadn't taken office and by Smith's own admission, he was hired in December.

Sounds illegal to me. But as Pete has said, board members do not have to break the law, just misuse of office, which the hiring of Lacy Smith is.

And what about Ressler and Crewe's pressuring of Jay on behave of a campign contributor? That case has never been heard.

Yep, I'd say there has been some misue of office. And we'll never know if it was illegal because Parker wouldn't let it go to trial.
Timing Tilt

Murrieta, CA

#76 Apr 19, 2009
Gern answer this if you will. Do you know this TA and her husband, John? If not,be careful what you wish for. I would lean towards the Citizen's
word, not TA etal or her camp followers. Heed the advice, or they will take you down with them, they need the company of fools to gain more
attention Gern.
granny

Caret, VA

#77 Apr 19, 2009
just think wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what NACO says....unlessyou will be calling them liars to their faces... this mI WOULD LOVE TO SEE!! Everyone from NACO I HAVE SPOKE TO THINK The 40 are a joke. I have had at least 6 different counties say this would have never happened in thier county and the CA and C Attry. had more time than allowed. Most think the 40 have made a joke out of the situation. to the eyes of the common person. Two of the gentlemen even made the comment to me "Do any of the 40 have a generalized education"?
While there is probably no hope of educating you as to the total foolishness of your point of view, perhaps it would be possible for you to improve yourself grammatically. A copy of Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" is no doubt available at your local book store or public library. Give it a try!
Timing Tilt

Irmo, SC

#78 Apr 19, 2009
You tell them Granny!

What the supporters of TA have not come to terms with yet, is the fact that anyone can read these dizzy posts they spew out and determine the quality of leadership they do not possess or their the cult that spews venom.

Employers read this to see if anyone who is applying for a job has a "different" side to them.

Well, I should state for the record, myspace etc., is what some employers are doing and this is a prime example of poorly educated people who support the likes of TA and her following, regardless of who they may be.

Go gettum Granny!
My Opinion

Gloucester, VA

#79 Apr 19, 2009
Justice in Gloucester wrote:
The four BOS members should be made to pay all of the fees since they contracted the legal services.
The four BOS members would not have needed to obtain legal services if the petitioners had not come up with bogus charges. The petitioners need to pay all of the fees. Would you go to court without an attorney if someone charged you with a bunch of bogus charges? Wouldn't you want the best legal representation you could find? Maybe the petitioners and BOS members could add up all legal fees and divide it equally. They were the 45 active participants. Plus those who testified before the grand jury.

I don't agree with what the BOS members did. Lying is wrong. Their actions were unethical. They all should have resigned. Hiring Lacy Smith was over the top. Settling this in a court of law? Petitions have never worked before. The election booth was the place to resolve this issue. Voters made a huge mistake. Change was needed, but not this kind of change. Whew, doggie, we probably voted for a tax increase for ourselves by the time this is over.

I sure don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for any of the legal fees, but we probably will have to pay for every penny. Then the 45 can walk away scott free and we are back to the election booths.
Pete

United States

#81 Apr 20, 2009
just think wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what NACO says....unlessyou will be calling them liars to their faces... this mI WOULD LOVE TO SEE!! Everyone from NACO I HAVE SPOKE TO THINK The 40 are a joke. I have had at least 6 different counties say this would have never happened in thier county and the CA and C Attry. had more time than allowed. Most think the 40 have made a joke out of the situation. to the eyes of the common person. Two of the gentlemen even made the comment to me "Do any of the 40 have a generalized education"?
Maybe they meant it wouldn't have happened in their county because their boards are ethical, honest, and TRANSPARENT! Did you consider that?

And, the suggestion from someone else for you to purchase the book "Element of Style" would serve you well!
Pete

United States

#82 Apr 20, 2009
My Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
The four BOS members would not have needed to obtain legal services if the petitioners had not come up with bogus charges. The petitioners need to pay all of the fees. Would you go to court without an attorney if someone charged you with a bunch of bogus charges? Wouldn't you want the best legal representation you could find? Maybe the petitioners and BOS members could add up all legal fees and divide it equally. They were the 45 active participants. Plus those who testified before the grand jury.
I don't agree with what the BOS members did. Lying is wrong. Their actions were unethical. They all should have resigned. Hiring Lacy Smith was over the top. Settling this in a court of law? Petitions have never worked before. The election booth was the place to resolve this issue. Voters made a huge mistake. Change was needed, but not this kind of change. Whew, doggie, we probably voted for a tax increase for ourselves by the time this is over.
I sure don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for any of the legal fees, but we probably will have to pay for every penny. Then the 45 can walk away scott free and we are back to the election booths.
They have an attorney on staff - paid for by the taxpayers.
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#83 Apr 20, 2009
just think wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what NACO says....unlessyou will be calling them liars to their faces... this mI WOULD LOVE TO SEE!! Everyone from NACO I HAVE SPOKE TO THINK The 40 are a joke. I have had at least 6 different counties say this would have never happened in thier county and the CA and C Attry. had more time than allowed. Most think the 40 have made a joke out of the situation. to the eyes of the common person. Two of the gentlemen even made the comment to me "Do any of the 40 have a generalized education"?
Totally giving yourself away John.
My Opinion

Gloucester, VA

#84 Apr 21, 2009
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
They have an attorney on staff - paid for by the taxpayers.
A lawsuit was filed. Are you saying the county attorney could have represented them without there being a conflict of interest? Hmm?

I don't know about you, but I would have wanted the best darn attorney money could buy regardless of the charges. I am not defending the actions of the BOS members, but I do think they had the right to attorneys of their choice. The need for legal services would not have been necessary if the petitioners had not filed a lawsuit. For every action there is an equal reaction.

There were other options in resolving this matter. There is never one way to resolve any one issue. The matter was further complicated by the petitioners not have legal representation in court. Almost unthinkable. The everyday person doesn't even know what the inside of a courtroom looks like unless they have seen one on television.
Gaelic Sookie

Sumner, MI

#85 Apr 21, 2009
My opinion....

Money can BUY anyone w/o values or ETHICS.

As for the remainder of YOUR opinion, it is FLAWED
and the Professionals WILL ALWAYS DISAGREE WITH THIS mistreatment to the Citizen's

Your "people" were led to slaughter by an unethical COURT in session. TA ETAL will go DOWN in local history as the MOST unethical much of
" so called leaders" who SERVED the People
in Gloucester, VA..

Maybe GERN can counsel them ALL including yourself. When he goes back to work. Morning Glory or whatever YOu want to call yourself.
suckie.
Gaelic Sookie

Sumner, MI

#87 Apr 21, 2009
Oh GERN....you should broaden your horizons with women. TA does not hold a candle over your fantasies. Ballet? TA? Good LORD!

I know YOU will be happy to return to ESH with ALL the good souls there. Be well minded Gern.
titmouse

United States

#88 Apr 21, 2009
Is this like.......
The fox guarding the hen house?


"When you realize that life is essentially ridiculous, you can then laugh at it"
Citizen

United States

#89 Apr 23, 2009
My Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
A lawsuit was filed. Are you saying the county attorney could have represented them without there being a conflict of interest? Hmm?
I don't know about you, but I would have wanted the best darn attorney money could buy regardless of the charges. I am not defending the actions of the BOS members, but I do think they had the right to attorneys of their choice. The need for legal services would not have been necessary if the petitioners had not filed a lawsuit. For every action there is an equal reaction.
There were other options in resolving this matter. There is never one way to resolve any one issue. The matter was further complicated by the petitioners not have legal representation in court. Almost unthinkable. The everyday person doesn't even know what the inside of a courtroom looks like unless they have seen one on television.
The 'petitioners' were not 'in court'. They were NEVER summons to be in court. They were not respondents or defendants. But, they will have an attorney when the case of Parker illegal sanctioning the petitioners goes the Supreme Court in Richmond. Then, those that hired the 'best' attorneys can pay for their attorneys.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Applebees bar tonight 8/22/16 Mon BlueskysBlueeyes 1
News Investigators seize moonshine still in Gloucester Aug 18 meh 2
News Deputies search for suspect who decapitated dog... Aug 13 meh 5
News Court Orders Virginia School Board to Let Trans... Jun '16 Sneaky Pete 2
News U.S. court denies motion to reconsider transgen... Jun '16 Gay Peace on Earth 6
News Transgender teen wins bathroom case May '16 Time again 4
News ACLU: Gloucester transgender lawsuit comes at c... (Jan '16) Jan '16 meh 2
More from around the web