Gloucester supervisors to discuss leg...

Gloucester supervisors to discuss legal fees

There are 75 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Gloucester supervisors to discuss legal fees. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Here's the catch: the money reflects work the attorneys performed for four - a majority - of the seven-member Board of Supervisors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sunshine

Chaptico, MD

#1 Apr 14, 2009
Now, is that not a HUGE conflict of interest? We knew this day was coming and I hope the county attorney has done some research into whether the 4 can indeed decide if the county should pay their bills.
I hope I know where the other 3 stand on this issue.
and do we need that "citizen tie breaker?" haa haa
Justice in Gloucester

United States

#3 Apr 14, 2009
The four BOS members should be made to pay all of the fees since they contracted the legal services.
Gaelic Sookie

Mauldin, SC

#4 Apr 14, 2009
Well, TA gave her OK....to sanction the people and look at this vindictive outcome. Out with Kaine, out with TA etal...and Parker
Troy need sanctions.
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#5 Apr 14, 2009
Gloucester County will say good-bye to Altemus in November and Altemus can say good-bye to Naco.
Gaelic Sookie

Mauldin, SC

#6 Apr 14, 2009
#3 I agree.

TA ET AL had the opportunity to have the county pay out. But, thru the leakers, more woes upon the People who sanctioned. Fair? Or vindictive?
Well HER true colors came out when TA gave her OK for Troy to sanction the People.
Since Parker is tady in his filing, I would MAKE TA etal pay all their legal fees.

This mire has caught MORE than media attention, the legal journals are now asking WHY did Parker
mis use the First and the Court.
Why did Troy NOT act ethically re the sanctions?
Money, fame, political favors?

There was no honor in that court room with Parker
punking out. Troy has no honor and his credibility is tarnished due to GREED and UNETHICAL acts. How do you feel now TA ETAL....
taking down your dream team ?

Rip off artists are not justifiable nor ethical.
TA ETAL Pay your OWN legal fees next go around.
Misuing people as you have done, no tears being shed with the Patriots.

Gaelic Sookie

Mauldin, SC

#7 Apr 14, 2009
TARDY
Sunshine

United States

#9 Apr 14, 2009
Justice in Gloucester wrote:
The four BOS members should be made to pay all of the fees since they contracted the legal services.
My Goodness! Imagine that!
frank D

Yorktown, VA

#10 Apr 14, 2009
At this point and time, no business that will effect the citizens of GloucesterCounty,should be Behind Closed Doors. We know we can't trust Altemus,Ressler,Crewe,and Woodard,especially Behind Closed Doors.
frank D

Yorktown, VA

#11 Apr 14, 2009
Just Me wrote:
Gloucester County will say good-bye to Altemus in November and Altemus can say good-bye to Naco.
November will be here sooner than you think. Let the debates begin.

If Altemus had half a brain, she would be ashamed of herself, and embarrassed to show her face in public.
Gaelic Sookie

Middleton, ID

#12 Apr 14, 2009
frank D wrote:
At this point and time, no business that will effect the citizens of GloucesterCounty,should be Behind Closed Doors. We know we can't trust Altemus,Ressler,Crewe,and Woodard,especially Behind Closed Doors.
I was thinking the same ( sane ) thing Frank.
If it is UP TO TA and the remaining BOS to decide
about money issues, it should be an open forum.
At least imo, it should be. Is TA going to recant her suing the People in doing so, or has Troy told her enough is enough.
Think about it

Mechanicsville, VA

#13 Apr 14, 2009
I'm willing to bet they vote to authorize the payment. And, I'd say..... it will be a 4-3 vote.

And while the discussion is behind closed doors, the vote has to be public.

So they can't hide that.
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#14 Apr 14, 2009
Think about it wrote:
I'm willing to bet they vote to authorize the payment. And, I'd say..... it will be a 4-3 vote.
And while the discussion is behind closed doors, the vote has to be public.
So they can't hide that.
We still should have the right to observe that discussion. We know what the vote will be,but this should not be behind closed doors. This affect every tax payer in Gloucester County.
Gaelic Sookie

Middleton, ID

#16 Apr 14, 2009
Gosh Gern, I don't like saying it, it is a little racy. Know what I mean vern?

Since: Aug 08

Gloucester, VA

#17 Apr 14, 2009
If the 4 of them decide to excuse themselves from voting, would a vote from the other 3 be considered a majority? Just wondering... They haven't done anything to improve the County since they became the majority. I wouldn't expect them to "do the right thing" at this late date. I would think that if the former Madam Chair has reformed she would vote with the other 3... Again, wishful thinking. Don't think I'll hold my breath on that one! LOL
rethink

Caret, VA

#18 Apr 15, 2009
Well of course the meeting will be behind closed doors! The fact that these people have the unmitigated gall to expect taxpayers to pay their legal fees is just mind boggling. It says it all in a nutshell as to what they think of their constituents. They are out for themselves and nothing else. The November election cannot come SOON ENOUGH.
Think about it

Mechanicsville, MD

#19 Apr 15, 2009
Pangia wrote:
If the 4 of them decide to excuse themselves from voting, would a vote from the other 3 be considered a majority? Just wondering... They haven't done anything to improve the County since they became the majority. I wouldn't expect them to "do the right thing" at this late date. I would think that if the former Madam Chair has reformed she would vote with the other 3... Again, wishful thinking. Don't think I'll hold my breath on that one! LOL
If the other four "abstained" in the vote and the remaining three voted against the payment and authorized the county attorney to fight it, then it passes.

I seriously doubt TA would vote against the payment. I imagine her legal bills are quite high, what with the school board lawsuit and now this.

But it would be interesting since she will soon be campigning and it will come out.

And lastly, discussion of matters of legal proceedings and persnnel are the two issues which any board can discuss in closed session.
NoToObama

Lebanon, VA

#20 Apr 15, 2009
Putting aside our petty BoS, and I don't mean it isn't important but,

come to a Tax Day Tea Party today at 12 noon at the Gloucester colonial courthouse.
Our federal government is out of control and needs to hear our voices!

Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#22 Apr 15, 2009
Think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
If the other four "abstained" in the vote and the remaining three voted against the payment and authorized the county attorney to fight it, then it passes.
I seriously doubt TA would vote against the payment. I imagine her legal bills are quite high, what with the school board lawsuit and now this.
But it would be interesting since she will soon be campigning and it will come out.
And lastly, discussion of matters of legal proceedings and persnnel are the two issues which any board can discuss in closed session.
I understand that discussions of matters of legal proceedings and personnel are two issues that any board can discuss behind closed doors. These supervisors work for us, the taxpayers of Gloucester county. This affects all of us personally. They work for us,therefore the doors should be open.

“low tolerance for stupid”

Since: Apr 08

Hampton VA

#23 Apr 15, 2009
It's like watching the worlds largest trailer park trying to kick out the home owners assocation
The Bottom Line

Gloucester, VA

#24 Apr 15, 2009
Justice in Gloucester wrote:
The four BOS members should be made to pay all of the fees since they contracted the legal services.
Patience and cool headed thinking goes a long way in resolving conflict. Encouraging voters calmly voice concerns at meetings and in election booths would not have resulted in the need for legal services.

There is a difference disagreeing with government leaders and charging them with law breaking. A difference in a court and an election booth.

More than 4 BOS members played a role in this tragic, expensive saga. The 40 petitioners cannot be excluded from their role. For all their efforts to do good for their community, they could well have benefited from professional legal advice.

I hope people will vote smarter in the coming years and think for themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump and Transgender Student Rights - An Early... Nov 29 meh plus 1
News Reader: Schools should wait for Supreme Court, ... Nov 29 meh plus 4
News Supreme Court has not decided if it will hear G... Nov 29 meh plus 8
News News 2 mins ago 5:21 p.m.Gloucester board of su... Sep '16 meh 1
Applebees bar tonight 8/22/16 Aug '16 BlueskysBlueeyes 1
News Investigators seize moonshine still in Gloucester Aug '16 meh 2
News Deputies search for suspect who decapitated dog... Aug '16 meh 5
More from around the web