Committee argues for affordable housi...

Committee argues for affordable housing in Gloucester County

There are 82 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Mar 21, 2009, titled Committee argues for affordable housing in Gloucester County. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Planners recommend that Gloucester County relax its zoning regulations and create a trust fund to foster the development of affordable housing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
josiah p

Hampton, VA

#1 Mar 22, 2009
afordable for who??? the have-nots who want more handouts? people who try to get more than what they can have, usually will get less than what they can want!
Richard Harris

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Mar 22, 2009
Should bring in the Section 8's, but don't forget that "affordable' includes granite countertops so their self esteem won't suffer. Besides, it's nice to move the meth labs locally instead of having to drive to NN or Hampton. Naturally, if these people can't afford to buy a real home; they'll have money to maintain an "affordable" one and contribute to the tax base for all the additional services - addiction, police, emergency room - they'll charge the county. Bring them on, diversify and look like Denbigh with it's affordable housing.
Gaelic Sookie

United States

#3 Mar 22, 2009
Affordable Housing.....where does the Planning
Commission in Glouceseter want this affordable housing? & what constitutes affordable housing-
Low income????????? Yep.
Raid

Newport News, VA

#4 Mar 22, 2009
All one needs to do, is look at what happened to Denbigh over the past 20 years, and they'll see why "affordable housing" is not a good idea.

No offense to low income families, but with low income families, comes low income problems. Crime and blight being the main two things. Most are great people, but this sort of thing just seems to follow them around.
Justice in Gloucester

United States

#5 Mar 22, 2009
If this goes through one provision is that one "affordable" home be placed next door and accross the street from each of the "planners" who thought this up.
Snerdley

Birdsnest, VA

#6 Mar 22, 2009
We would love for some of our "affordable housing" residents to move from Hampton to Gloucester. The more, the better.
cym24

Gloucester, VA

#7 Mar 22, 2009
Wow, this thread is another poor debate led by the feeble of mind, and the dim of wit. Check the numbers and the value of the 'affordable' concept. It's amazing that such an application of idea when applied to Gloucester could actually bring UP some of the home values in some neighborhoods. Only in Gloucester, yes only in Gloucester.
cym24

Gloucester, VA

#8 Mar 22, 2009
I'm betting that none of you are familiar with the state and federal guidelines, code and requirements on affordable housing........yeah, i thought so.....ok, go look it up and then post and try and make yourself look intelligent.....
TidewaterLiberta rian

United States

#9 Mar 22, 2009
create a trust fund?!?

With what?

Money seized by other people, who worked very hard to earn it?

Less social activism with taxpayer money, please.
Gaelic Sookie

Taylorsville, NC

#10 Mar 22, 2009
cym24 wrote:
I'm betting that none of you are familiar with the state and federal guidelines, code and requirements on affordable housing........yeah, i thought so.....ok, go look it up and then post and try and make yourself look intelligent.....
Actually bill, every community should have affordable housing, but where are they going to place low income development in a $100,000 range
or less? Trust Fund?????

I don't think you know everything in the world, smartie pants.
But, a Trust Fund????????For how long????

I guess you know all and we should worship you
with your Crimson Robe.??
Think about it

Prudenville, MI

#11 Mar 22, 2009
If what I've read is true, the "trust fund" would come from developers who "proffer" affordable housing. But please don't quote me on that. I base it on the fact the the Timberlake development, proffered building five "affordable" housing units, but none of them in their development.

And while I'm not a fan of it, the term "affordable" is relative. From what I've read, the worry is that teachers, deputies, and the like, won't be able to "afford" to live in the county where they work, like here in Gloucester. From what I've seen, those professions seem to find affordable housing without too much trouble.
Gaelic Sookie

Taylorsville, NC

#12 Mar 22, 2009
cym24 wrote:
Wow, this thread is another poor debate led by the feeble of mind, and the dim of wit. Check the numbers and the value of the 'affordable' concept. It's amazing that such an application of idea when applied to Gloucester could actually bring UP some of the home values in some neighborhoods. Only in Gloucester, yes only in Gloucester.
You think you are making friends with your language? dimwit. I know what I as speaking and you should know that by NOW.

Just where do you propose this development should go, with the bottle necking you already have.
Get the damned county fixed first then, cry like a baby. That county is going down the tubes with TA and the Ressler et al and YOU should know this by now.

Have you spoken to the Certified Panning Commissioner's about this dimwit? All knowing BUM. Why not concentrate on the Daffodil fling coming up. You are better suited with "easy" stuff.

Another item bill, is the a Trust Fund??? Time sensitive?
Think about it

Prudenville, MI

#13 Mar 22, 2009
cym24 wrote:
You know something, Bill, just because you don't like other's responses, why must you demean them? Does it make you feel important? Does it make you feel superior?

And why would you want to tear down the community you moved into? If anything, having you live in Gloucester has brought the home values down of the entire county.

“Gaelic Sookie Jacobs”

Since: Dec 08

Hamilton,VA Emerald Isle,NC

#14 Mar 22, 2009
Think about it wrote:
If what I've read is true, the "trust fund" would come from developers who "proffer" affordable housing. But please don't quote me on that. I base it on the fact the the Timberlake development, proffered building five "affordable" housing units, but none of them in their development.
And while I'm not a fan of it, the term "affordable" is relative. From what I've read, the worry is that teachers, deputies, and the like, won't be able to "afford" to live in the county where they work, like here in Gloucester. From what I've seen, those professions seem to find affordable housing without too much trouble.
TAI You are pretty much on the mark with your post. I was speaking with a former Certified Planning Commissoner about this and we guess
Proffer is now termed "trust fund", but, as of 2002 "trust fund" was not replaced by "proffers"
Swamper

Hayes, VA

#15 Mar 22, 2009
KOOL.Affordable housing,parking lot full of Hummers and plenty drugs for all.OH BOY
Justice in Gloucester

United States

#16 Mar 22, 2009
cym24 wrote:
Who cares what you bet or think idiot!
Gaelic Sookie

Taylorsville, NC

#17 Mar 22, 2009
# 8

There are days I wish I could smack you for your
ignorant remarks. Consider this one hige pop up side the head.

Conclusion: You just THINK youare smarter than anyone in Gloucester or forthat fact, outside Gloucester.

I will debate you on this so called "trust fund" and affordable housing. If you are up to the challenge -

Cutting people down at the knees on the get go, is one of your big flaws. You think that attitude will get you elected for dog warden?
Not hardly. Your character belongs in the NORTH where everyone will know your name-
WHOOPS! The North is running out of properties to build, why do you think there are so many Northern Builder's here? HUMMMM?

And YOU do not know everything you are attempting to convince the population .....Trust Fund?
cym24

Gloucester, VA

#18 Mar 22, 2009
Justice in Gloucester wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what you bet or think idiot!
Here's some stock market advice: When your IQ get's up to 20, SELL! SELL! SELL!
I am thinking

Hayes, VA

#19 Mar 22, 2009
Think about it wrote:
Not everyone that works for the county makes $50,000 + a year. What about custodians, bus drivers, assistants, secretaries, dispatchers.....
Are they unwanted simply because they make lower pay?
Are they unworthy of living in the land of the life worth living?
DidYouWatchTheMe eting

Gloucester, VA

#20 Mar 22, 2009
If you watched the meeting, they were not talking about low income housing... they were talking about workforce housing for the teachers, deputies, and others who are the core of our community and have a difficult time affording a home. They were talking about developers having homes in their developments that were valued at about $160,000... One of the big bugaboos seemed to be how to keep this housing affordable in the future. From what they said, that was one of the reasons they sent it back to the planning commission to try to figure this out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The first 100 days in LGBT rights Sat Prosperity Fundie... 2
News Stafford High transgender senior speaks out on ... Apr 15 sara69 2
News Crime 22 mins ago 11:57 a.m.8 arrested, 1 at la... Mar '17 Fred A 1
News Man sentenced to 5 years for soliciting Glouces... Feb '17 meh plus 1
News 4 juvenile suspects identified in vandalized Ch... Dec '16 meh plus 1
News Trump and Transgender Student Rights - An Early... Nov '16 meh plus 1
News Reader: Schools should wait for Supreme Court, ... (Oct '16) Nov '16 meh plus 4
More from around the web