Attorneys get a blank check to defend...

Attorneys get a blank check to defend Gloucester supervisors

There are 61 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Dec 5, 2009, titled Attorneys get a blank check to defend Gloucester supervisors. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A vote by four county supervisors in the early morning hours of Nov. 5 that required Gloucester County to immediately pay $343,000 in legal fees they had accrued resulted in virtually no oversight or scrutiny of the enormous bills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Think about it

United States

#1 Dec 6, 2009
Once again, these four show their interest in what's best for the county is not their priority. They were so quick to get their legal bills paid, they didn't even care to denote about double billings, wrong billings and just a shoddy bill. And to quote Cornwell "It's the responsibility of the clients to take up with the attorneys any issues with the billings" Since Cornwell was Crewe's and Woodard's lawyer, why don't they go back and check the bill, since they were the clients, and get some of the money back. I guess Woodard is too busy changing park names and getting tax exemptions. My only hope is the new board will ask staff to investigate this furtner and see if the county can recoup some of our money.
Had to say it

Hayes, VA

#2 Dec 7, 2009
Think about it wrote:
Once again, these four show their interest in what's best for the county is not their priority. They were so quick to get their legal bills paid, they didn't even care to denote about double billings, wrong billings and just a shoddy bill. And to quote Cornwell "It's the responsibility of the clients to take up with the attorneys any issues with the billings" Since Cornwell was Crewe's and Woodard's lawyer, why don't they go back and check the bill, since they were the clients, and get some of the money back. I guess Woodard is too busy changing park names and getting tax exemptions. My only hope is the new board will ask staff to investigate this furtner and see if the county can recoup some of our money.
The way I see this and it doesn't take an expert to figure this out, is thinking that Madam County Administrator and likewise the also newly hired County Attorney would not likley question this unbeliveable bill, simpley because THEY knew they would be terminated from their wonderful highly paid positions. They knew the hand writing was on the wall and dare not buck Ressler about this payment. Anyone care to comment?
Don-in-Gloc

Hayes, VA

#4 Dec 7, 2009
I wonder why the Treasurer's office has not come into play on this question? He is an elected officer, as are the BOS, responsible for writing the county checks (I believe), doesn't he require receipts before he writes checks on county funds? Why did he not require documentation from them? Was there an agreement between them? Just a thought. Hope someone with more knowledge of the financial workings of the county adds a comment.
File Clerk

Aylett, VA

#5 Dec 7, 2009
http://www.gloucesterva.info/acct/homepage.ht...

payment to vendors(=lawyers) for services to county.
Susans friend

Hayes, VA

#6 Dec 7, 2009
Don, the county treasurer is a female. She asked for an itemized bill, but as with any other bill, she doesn't have authority to challenge the content of it. Imagine if she challenged Joe Smith's property tax bill--"This can't be right; his property isn't this valuable--or is more valuable." What a mess would ensue!!! The challenge is someone else's responsibility.
Don-in-Gloc

Hayes, VA

#7 Dec 7, 2009
Susans friend wrote:
Don, the county treasurer is a female. She asked for an itemized bill, but as with any other bill, she doesn't have authority to challenge the content of it. Imagine if she challenged Joe Smith's property tax bill--"This can't be right; his property isn't this valuable--or is more valuable." What a mess would ensue!!! The challenge is someone else's responsibility.
Sorry for the gender error. The question remains, did she receive the itemized bill, once she asked for it. If not, why would it be paid, if so would it not checked for accuracy?
Thanx for claryfing the procedures.
File Clerk

Aylett, VA

#8 Dec 7, 2009
Susans friend wrote:
Read the article--billing invoices go to finance not the treasurer.
Don't believe it--call them.
Gloucester's Finance Department didn't receive $65,000 in billing invoices from two law firms until Nov. 9 — the day of an unsuccessful attempt to halt the payments through an injunction.
Susan

Hayes, VA

#9 Dec 7, 2009
We cannot place blame on anyone but the 4 supervisors that voted to have their unreasonable legal bills paid by the taxpayers. We cannot try to hold the county administrator or the county attorney responsible for a decision made by their bosses. The blame rests at the very top of the organization - the 4 supervisors. For us to expect a staff member to accomplish what we as voters and taxpayers couldn't accomplish isn't right. The 4 supervisors can't be trusted and they totally lack credibility. In a few months, they will start to talk about the budget, and I don't think I can stand to hear another lecture from any of these hypocrites about tough money times and the sacrifices we all must make. They haven't made any sacrifices and they continue to take their vacations (conferences) on our dime. All they learn at the conferences is how to play the game. We get screwed when they spend our money to vacation and we get screwed again when they try to play the big role of supervisor to the mere peons. Don't trust the three (first of the month is coming) and make them stay home. Don't trust these people!
Think about it

Selkirk, NY

#10 Dec 7, 2009
Yes it is these four supervisor's blame. Read the article, Cornwell said, "It's the responsibility of the clients to take up with the attorneys any issues with the billings" Since Crewe and Woodard were the clients, why aren't they speaking up to get a refund for overcharges. I mean, this money will go back to the taxpayers, no one else. And they are still in office and supposed to be looking out for the interests of the taxpayers. But then, they haven't been too concerned about us taxpayers through this whole mess.
Carolyn R

Angier, NC

#11 Dec 7, 2009
I know this is not realistic but I would love to come read this forum tomorrow and read where the 82% of Gloucester residents had sworn documents stating they would not pay any property tax until this mess is cleared up to their satisfaction.

I know, dreams can be dangerous.
Cym

Suffolk, VA

#12 Dec 8, 2009
Think about it wrote:
Yes it is these four supervisor's blame. Read the article, Cornwell said, "It's the responsibility of the clients to take up with the attorneys any issues with the billings" Since Crewe and Woodard were the clients, why aren't they speaking up to get a refund for overcharges. I mean, this money will go back to the taxpayers, no one else. And they are still in office and supposed to be looking out for the interests of the taxpayers. But then, they haven't been too concerned about us taxpayers through this whole mess.
Actually it isn't the sups to blame. Please ignore 'Think about it', who is on a soapbox and can't seem to let it go. The fault lies with the commonwealth's attorney who should have been drawn and quartered, and a newspaper reporter who isn't smart enough to get a vasectomy when he should have. If you're interested in the truth, stay away from the newspapers and read the court submissions from both sides. It is a RIOT. The petitioners got hoodwinked and didn't have the sense to consult a real lawyer.
Think about it

Upper Marlboro, MD

#13 Dec 8, 2009
Cym wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it isn't the sups to blame. Please ignore 'Think about it', who is on a soapbox and can't seem to let it go. The fault lies with the commonwealth's attorney who should have been drawn and quartered, and a newspaper reporter who isn't smart enough to get a vasectomy when he should have. If you're interested in the truth, stay away from the newspapers and read the court submissions from both sides. It is a RIOT. The petitioners got hoodwinked and didn't have the sense to consult a real lawyer.
Seems at least 82% of the county believe what they read in the newspapers. You seem to want to skip over the obvious... These four supervisors started this mess on Jan. 2/3 2008 when the unceremoniously fired both the county administrator and county attorney, hired a friend of the new chair as the interim county administrator, changed funding for the school board, pressured a county employeee to do the bidding of a campign contributor, all without the knowledge of two other supervisors. This is what started it all.

And if bill's father would have had a vasectomy we wouldn't be bombarded with his constant spamming to deflect from the real issue.
Cym

Norfolk, VA

#15 Dec 9, 2009
Spam.
Far Side Dog

Mechanicsville, VA

#16 Dec 9, 2009
Cym wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it isn't the sups to blame. Please ignore 'Think about it', who is on a soapbox and can't seem to let it go. The fault lies with the commonwealth's attorney who should have been drawn and quartered, and a newspaper reporter who isn't smart enough to get a vasectomy when he should have. If you're interested in the truth, stay away from the newspapers and read the court submissions from both sides. It is a RIOT. The petitioners got hoodwinked and didn't have the sense to consult a real lawyer.
Bill you are a filthy piece of dung and you're stupid on top of it. Interested in the truth? You wouldn't know it if it hit you square between the eyes! Court submissions? Got hoodwinked? Consult a lawyer?
You're like the blind leading the blind and you're hateful on top of it.
I hope Matt Sabo comes after you with attorneys in tow and sues you blind. But then, he's not cut from the same cloth as people like you and the Foul 4 and wouldn't do such a thing.
He knows that he speaks/writes the truth.
Cym

Norfolk, VA

#17 Dec 9, 2009
Bill? Who's Bill?
Think about it

United States

#18 Dec 9, 2009
bill can claim all he want's to ask, "Bill? Who's Bill? But we all know who he is. The funny part is, the more he posts, the more people know he's a nothing. He brings nothing to the discussion. He has an indefensible position, so he attacks the posters and diverts the attention away from the point of the discussion, in this case, how these lawyers could have double billed the county and these four supervisors, who hired them, won't even take the time to review the charges and ask for a reduction in costs. If THEY had to pay for it (which could happen should Steven Emmert and the 40 petitioners prevail at the Supreme Court), I'm sure they would peruse them closely and ask for a reduction, but then, these four hadn't seen fit to save taxpayers money from the beginning.

Dare I say...Whitely's and Stuck's firing with pay, or the hiring of Lacy Smith (who didn't know a thing about running a county), or Woodard's chair, or TA's lawsuit, or Unnecessary trips to VACO and NACO when the county is suffering from falling revenues, or just the fact these four have scared off potential businesses with their antics. The list goes on and on.
Susans friend

Hayes, VA

#20 Dec 9, 2009
Jojo/Cym/Bill, when are you three--I mean one--going to move on? You've alienated more Gloucesterites than most of us even know. And you enjoy having people despise you. Why? Most of us like being liked, having friends who stop and talk to us in the stores, etc. Why don't you want that, too? Is it just because you feel that you have a higher IQ than the rest of us? Most of us with high IQs still like to be liked. Strange--to enjoy being despised by everybody.
Far Side Dog

Mechanicsville, VA

#21 Dec 10, 2009
York District wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone needs to be held accountable. Is there anyone in power, that will stand up for the citizens of Gloucester County
Yes, there are those who WILL stand up for the citizens of our county. Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
Far Side Dog

Mechanicsville, VA

#22 Dec 10, 2009
Cym wrote:
Bill? Who's Bill?
Geeze! I can't believe ANYONE would dare come to you for dental work, Bill Dodson!
Now go take your clothes off, strap on your handgun and ride around your property on your gator.(Don't forget the shearling seat cover)
Now, there's a good boy.
Cym1

Norfolk, VA

#23 Dec 10, 2009
Far Side Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are those who WILL stand up for the citizens of our county. Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.
Waiting is not a great option. It would be nice if there were some strong candidates to come forward in future elections. The salary sucks. One guarantee: noone is in it for the money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gloucester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Applebees bar tonight 8/22/16 Mon BlueskysBlueeyes 1
News Investigators seize moonshine still in Gloucester Aug 18 meh 2
News Deputies search for suspect who decapitated dog... Aug 13 meh 5
News Court Orders Virginia School Board to Let Trans... Jun '16 Sneaky Pete 2
News U.S. court denies motion to reconsider transgen... Jun '16 Gay Peace on Earth 6
News Transgender teen wins bathroom case May '16 Time again 4
News ACLU: Gloucester transgender lawsuit comes at c... (Jan '16) Jan '16 meh 2
More from around the web