Serious car accident, traffic delays on NYS Thruway

Full story: WHEC-TV Rochester, NY

State Police say a woman has been seriously injured in a car accident on the thruway Saturday morning.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Dec 13, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bag O Scum

Rochester, NY

#1 Dec 12, 2009
Those deer are such a nuisance. I wish we could eat them all.
Matt

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Dec 12, 2009
Have been stuck in traffic for over two hours--avoid the thruway if you can!
LadyPegasus1

Rochester, NY

#5 Dec 12, 2009
Bag O Scum wrote:
Those deer are such a nuisance. I wish we could eat them all.
Deer are big & beautiful creatures in nature...but I also agree that they are a nuisance. I hit one a month ago on the Ontario State Pkwy. Luckily I was not hurt but my car had to be totaled. I appreciate the kindness of a gentleman that stopped right after I hit the deer. He made sure I was ok and asked if I had a cell phone. I have traveled the parkway every working day for 20 yrs. This was the 2nd deer I have hit, the 1st 1 15 yrs. ago. This year seems to be one of the worst for vehicle vs. deer accidents.
lolz

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 12, 2009
like how people are blaming it on the deer or the truck driver.
It's obiviously the deers fault for being in the road and it's obviously the truck drivers fault for not being educated and for driving at that moment. Everyone must be accident investigators becasue they point the blame on someone so quickly. If you weren't there then you obviously don't know what happen, becasue I don't. This could be the scenario, the thruway is what 65-70 mph, hitting a deer at that speed is deadly, her car probably died and got on 911 quickly bc she was a sitting duck and a tractor trailer driver who probably didn't have much time to react becasue people are all over the road hit her. It's no ones fault expect maybe the deer but there is nothing you can do about it. yes its a sad story but it happens.
carrie

Brockport, NY

#7 Dec 12, 2009
most likely the deer was running into the road because the hunters were chasing it. We drive down the thruway all the time and if you look off to the side you can see some of the tree stands just past the fence. So most likely that deer was running for it's life and the driver of the car and the truck driver had no chance to stop. I don't agree how most of the truck driver think they own the road but in this case he probably didn't have a chance to stop. I live with a local truck driver and he says it take about one or two football feilds to stop a truck going at about 40mph so he would need a lot more time to stop. It is sad to say but sometimes you just can't help what happens.
Carlos

Pittsford, NY

#8 Dec 12, 2009
Sad ... I saw the car . we ha d to turn around ..
Hope she will be ok

Penfield, NY

#9 Dec 12, 2009
carrie wrote:
most likely the deer was running into the road because the hunters were chasing it. We drive down the thruway all the time and if you look off to the side you can see some of the tree stands just past the fence. So most likely that deer was running for it's life and the driver of the car and the truck driver had no chance to stop. I don't agree how most of the truck driver think they own the road but in this case he probably didn't have a chance to stop. I live with a local truck driver and he says it take about one or two football feilds to stop a truck going at about 40mph so he would need a lot more time to stop. It is sad to say but sometimes you just can't help what happens.
I've hunted deer for many years and not once have I tried to chase one, they run much too fast for me. Maybe the deer just wanted to follow the chicken across the road to get to the other side. All and all maybe this is just an bad accident and nobody is at fault. After reading this news report how could anyone blame anybody from the few details that are given. Deer car accidents happen every day thats just the way it is, they increase during the deer's mating season and the hunting season, but they continue to happen year round and always will.
keith

Victor, NY

#10 Dec 12, 2009
I remember in Ohio Truckers had to stay in the right lanes and couldnt pass on the left.Plus 55mph was the fastest they could go,and cars could go 65 mph.I dont know if that law is still effect there or it was changed durning the 90s.
carrie

Brockport, NY

#11 Dec 12, 2009
Hope she will be ok wrote:
<quoted text>
I've hunted deer for many years and not once have I tried to chase one, they run much too fast for me. Maybe the deer just wanted to follow the chicken across the road to get to the other side. All and all maybe this is just an bad accident and nobody is at fault. After reading this news report how could anyone blame anybody from the few details that are given. Deer car accidents happen every day thats just the way it is, they increase during the deer's mating season and the hunting season, but they continue to happen year round and always will.
If you shot at a deer then it is going to run. I have lived with hunters my whole life. My dad, my brother, brother in law, and a ton more of my family members hunt. If you shot at a deer and hit it you go off and try to track that deer so it dosn't suffer. and If that deer happens to get up and run when you get close and run across the rode and that deer is most likely thinking that you are chaseing it. i wasn't saying that is was done on purpose, but things like this happen. and when it is hunting season people should know that the deer are going to move a lot more. It is no ones fault and from the info the news is giveing no one can say it is anyones doing. no one is going to know exactally what happen unless you were right there or one of the people involed in the accident. and until the investagation is done.
Left Lane No Trucks

Penn Yan, NY

#12 Dec 12, 2009
keith wrote:
I remember in Ohio Truckers had to stay in the right lanes and couldnt pass on the left.Plus 55mph was the fastest they could go,and cars could go 65 mph.I dont know if that law is still effect there or it was changed durning the 90s.
Trucks cannot be in the left hand lane in New Jersey either - when is New York going to have the same law? This accident might have still happened with a car hitting her but overall accidents would decrease if the trucks were banned from the left lane....poor lady had no chance
Melanie

Batavia, NY

#13 Dec 12, 2009
I was in that traffic for 3 and a 1/2 hours and saw the car being towed away, it was smashed from the back almost to the windshield, what an awful sight.

“formerly known as "im bored"”

Since: Apr 08

rochester ny

#14 Dec 12, 2009
AHHHHH, i'm so sorry to hear this. I ran into a few people who were talking about seeing the accident.
cowboy

Rochester, NY

#15 Dec 12, 2009
Left Lane No Trucks wrote:
<quoted text>
Trucks cannot be in the left hand lane in New Jersey either - when is New York going to have the same law? This accident might have still happened with a car hitting her but overall accidents would decrease if the trucks were banned from the left lane....poor lady had no chance
Trucks are not aloud in the left lane if 3 lanes or more not on 2 lane highways.
Former co-worker

Buffalo, NY

#16 Dec 12, 2009
Can't believe how many people are talking about the deer and the truck driver. Instead, pray for Julie and her young family. Julie, may you rest in peace. May God be with you and your family at this time of deep deep loss and sorrow. May your babies grow up to know what a great Momma they had- who loved them fiercely.
Zippity

Rochester, NY

#17 Dec 12, 2009
For everyones information!!!
The lady hit the deer and her car died right in the passing lane! The truck driver never expected to come upon a car at a stand still in the lane and when your in the passing lane you generally are doing 70mph or better! Of course people have to blame someone for an accident! It was NO ONES FAULT HERE EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE LONELY DEER!
Imagine what that truck driver is feeling right now! I feel sorry for him!!!!!!!!!!
josie

Spencerport, NY

#18 Dec 12, 2009
very, very sad

“formerly known as "im bored"”

Since: Apr 08

rochester ny

#19 Dec 12, 2009
Zippity wrote:
For everyones information!!!
The lady hit the deer and her car died right in the passing lane! The truck driver never expected to come upon a car at a stand still in the lane and when your in the passing lane you generally are doing 70mph or better! Of course people have to blame someone for an accident! It was NO ONES FAULT HERE EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE LONELY DEER!
Imagine what that truck driver is feeling right now! I feel sorry for him!!!!!!!!!!
Wow - that really sucks. It could happen to anyone of us. AS I was reading this, I was also reading about the accident out loud to my kids (teenage drivers) to let them know the dangers out there right now and how freak accidents can happen.

Your right - someone is at a dead stop, and this poor woman probably didnt' know what to do - i know i wouldn't ! and the truck is coming up unexpectantly. My thoughts and prayers to all. I would feel horrible if i hit someone from behind like that.
Ann

Rochester, NY

#20 Dec 12, 2009
Take it from a country raised girl who's dad hunts deer. The deer hunters do not chase deer. They hide and shoot only when there is a good clean shot and the deer doesn't go far if the hunter is any good. The big problem is that the state has raised license fees so high that many hunters have decided that it's just not worth it to hunt now so you can expect a lot more cars hitting deer now. Also, sometimes when people let their dogs run loose, they chase deer.

If my car stalled in the passing lane, I think I would have crossed the median and gotten away from that car. I know they say to stay in your car, but in a passing lane, it just seems like a really bad idea.
Dan Boone

Newark, NY

#21 Dec 12, 2009
HUNTING SEASONS OVER!!!!!!!
ChrisM

Rochester, NY

#22 Dec 12, 2009
I too just mentioned this story to my young drivers. IF your car dies in a lane on an expressway... get the HELL out of the car and get as far away from it as possible THEN call 911! What a sad thing... Prayers to all involved!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genesee County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nurse's Aide Accused of Causing Injuries at Nur... (Feb '14) Feb '14 krokodil 1
Jacquetta Simmons sent to jail as defense plans... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bud Jones 6
Batavia police arrest armed burglars (Jan '14) Jan '14 NAME 1
Storm blankets Genesee county (Jan '14) Jan '14 dehm my nuts 1
Nearly 100 People Arrested During DMB Concert a... (Jul '13) Dec '13 STOP POLICE CORRU... 32
Soil health workshop draws a large crowd (Dec '13) Dec '13 farm this 1
Police in Batavia Ask for Help Identifying Robb... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Mein Kampf 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Genesee County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••