Pit bull attack victim now pushing fo...

Pit bull attack victim now pushing for ban

There are 167 comments on the MSNBC story from Feb 20, 2010, titled Pit bull attack victim now pushing for ban. In it, MSNBC reports that:

A homeowner in Gaston County is pushing for the passage of a controversial law after a pit bull attacked him and his dog in Mount Holly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Stump

Charlotte, NC

#1 Feb 20, 2010
Why not just enforce the laws that are currently on the books? We should not all suffer because of irresponsible dog owners that don't adhere to the leash laws. Mass punishment usually is dispensed when authorities will not "cowboy up" and meet the problem head on.
just asking

Midland, NC

#2 Feb 20, 2010
If you read the long thread that the guy started you will know. The laws now protect the dog, owner and landlord. The guy and his dog are out in the cold. They even let the dog go again without having shots. And you might want to ask the hundres of towns across the country that has already done it. Can't say why it is taking so long to do it. Those dogs kill, whether yours has yet or not. They do, and attack kids. It is a shame. If the law don't take kids from stupid people do you think they take dogs from them?
Stump

Charlotte, NC

#3 Feb 21, 2010
just asking wrote:
If you read the long thread that the guy started you will know. The laws now protect the dog, owner and landlord. The guy and his dog are out in the cold. They even let the dog go again without having shots. And you might want to ask the hundres of towns across the country that has already done it. Can't say why it is taking so long to do it. Those dogs kill, whether yours has yet or not. They do, and attack kids. It is a shame. If the law don't take kids from stupid people do you think they take dogs from them?
The problem is that the County had the dog and was also aware of several more attacks (according to the article). I was thinking that this was sufficient to put the animal down. If the current laws are not enforced..........well then lets just make some more laws that will not be enforced either.
just asking

Midland, NC

#4 Feb 22, 2010
Stump wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that the County had the dog and was also aware of several more attacks (according to the article). I was thinking that this was sufficient to put the animal down. If the current laws are not enforced..........well then lets just make some more laws that will not be enforced either.
enacting legislation to regulate criminals do not work when a weapon is involved. not all pits are apparently used as or considered to be weapons by their owners. However, restricting the breed that is overwhelmingly used as and considered to be a weapon doe not need to be around my kids in the neighborhood or my dogs and cats. cops and animal control are spread too thin and many of them have this breed to make it practical to hold owners responsible. The goal would be to greatly reduce or eliminate these attacks in the town's neighborhoods and streets. take away the weapon and you reduce the threat. these dogs are only doing what they were created to do.
pissed off parent

Concord, NC

#5 Feb 22, 2010
I totally agree,Pits need to be outlawed in subdivisions where there are children, My son was attacked in Nov. of last year, all he was doing was playing football with a neighbor, My son tripped over a horseshoe stob and fell on the ground, then the 11 month old pit attacked my son tore his ankle bone off he had tissue hanging out his leg, then the pit went for my sons face and my son threw his arm up and the pit got the back side of his arm and tore big chunks of meat out of his arm,Do you think they did anything with this pit,, NO! Its still there the animal control declared it dangerous, which means nothing! Its suppose to mean the animal cant leave the property at all, but this pit owner is walking this pit up and down the road every day, my 11 year old son is scared to go up the road to his friends house because he is so scared this dog is going to be out,, this same dog chased another neighbors 6 yr. old little boy all the way to his front door, the animal control is aware of all of this but yet nothing has been done about this, but i can promise if this pit gets out and happens to come in my yard, It will be one less pit this neighborhood will have to worry about! The gaston Gazette did a story on the attack, but still nothing was done, when r people going to realize that a childs life is way more precious than a animal, dont get me wrong i have a dog that I love with all my heart, he is apart of my family, but if he would bite a child even just a minor bite, i would shoot him on the spot! I can replace dogs all day long but i cant replace somebodys child,,just like this pit owner cant take away my childs nightmares, or the pain and suffering that my son has went through, My son is scared to death of our own dog who we have had since it was 8 weeks old, he is now 2 years old, and he is just a lab, So everybody who wants to get on here and talk about how pits arent what people say they are, pull in my driveway I would be happy to show u the pictures of my childs wounds, the wounds might heal but it really effects a childs mind. This pit bull owner said the same thing all pit owners say, "this is a good dog, he has never showed any aggression towards anyone before" Yeah well this pit was still a pup if he had been full grown i might not have a little boy today!
ozzy

United States

#6 Feb 22, 2010
Antifreeze works great
If that was my kid the dog would be dead one way or the other and I would be in jail or whatever
By the way I live in Runnymeade is this where these dogs live? Knowone has said what neighborhood they are in
Peter

Downers Grove, IL

#7 Feb 22, 2010
Pissed off parent,

I understand that your child had a traumatizing experience with a Pit Bull but to claim that all Pit Bulls should be banned is ridiculous. Where does it end because trust me, if one dog is forced into extinction, another will take its place. Do you honestly think that getting rid of Pit Bulls will get rid of bad owners? Be realistic. My parents Cocker Spaniel bit a kid when I was young, should we kill all Cocker Spaniels now? You are obviously emotional and worried and for good reason and I agree with you, your neighbors dog should have been put down but I have a Pit Bull who is the sweetest dog alive and she plays with little kids all the time, rolls around with them, sleeps with them and has never once shown the slightest sign of aggression because her owner, MYSELF, knows how to raise a dog properly. Blame ignorant owners, not the breed of dog. Pit Bulls have these occurrances more then any other dog because they are owned by more dumb people then any other breed. I also have a Doberman and I guarantee he's just a prone to lashing out as a Pit Bull but the difference with Dobermans is that they are expensive so very few uneducated people own them. Replace the Pit Bulls numbers with the Doberman, Rottweiler, Dalmatian, etc and the results would be the same. A lot of one breed in the possession of dumb people will always equal a problem. Don't punish the breed, screen the owners.
pissed off parent

Concord, NC

#8 Feb 22, 2010
Peter wrote:
Pissed off parent,
I understand that your child had a traumatizing experience with a Pit Bull but to claim that all Pit Bulls should be banned is ridiculous. Where does it end because trust me, if one dog is forced into extinction, another will take its place. Do you honestly think that getting rid of Pit Bulls will get rid of bad owners? Be realistic. My parents Cocker Spaniel bit a kid when I was young, should we kill all Cocker Spaniels now? You are obviously emotional and worried and for good reason and I agree with you, your neighbors dog should have been put down but I have a Pit Bull who is the sweetest dog alive and she plays with little kids all the time, rolls around with them, sleeps with them and has never once shown the slightest sign of aggression because her owner, MYSELF, knows how to raise a dog properly. Blame ignorant owners, not the breed of dog. Pit Bulls have these occurrances more then any other dog because they are owned by more dumb people then any other breed. I also have a Doberman and I guarantee he's just a prone to lashing out as a Pit Bull but the difference with Dobermans is that they are expensive so very few uneducated people own them. Replace the Pit Bulls numbers with the Doberman, Rottweiler, Dalmatian, etc and the results would be the same. A lot of one breed in the possession of dumb people will always equal a problem. Don't punish the breed, screen the owners.
I completly understand what your saying, I'm not saying that pit bulls should be banned, I'm saying they should not be allowed in subdivisions where children play, If they are going to be they need to be under lock and key, And yes i know most of the time its the owners fault, but its the children who have to pay the price in the long run. I never had anything against pit bulls i have always thought they were very beautiful dogs, But i guess seeing my son's flesh tore apart pretty much turned me against them, And i know i shouldnt blame all pits for what happened to my baby, but thats just how i feel, maybe in time i might have a change of heart about pit bulls, As of right now i would rather my kids not be around any of them! And I would love for my kids to go outside and play without having to watch them like hawks and scared to death that the same pit that tried to rip my baby apart is just 4 houses up from me.
just asking

Midland, NC

#9 Feb 23, 2010
Peter wrote:
Pissed off parent,
you are simply delusional and it is self serving. those dogs were bred to kill and attack big bull cows for slaughter. they have been selective bred and over bred. they are not blank slates that humans put in what they want. you are delusional and those weapons need to be eliminated from town and neighborhoods.
MrLogic

Charlotte, NC

#10 Feb 23, 2010
Oh man. He wasnt even attacked by a pit, it was a mutt. Ah well, see yall at city hall.
cyclist

Concord, NC

#11 Feb 24, 2010
Whenís the meeting? I want to be there also. I donít have a side yet.

MrLogic you are right it was a mongrel, predominate Pit Bull.
just asking

Midland, NC

#12 Feb 24, 2010
Read the BSL legislation, this dog is a pit bull, it meets all criteria to be classified a pit bull. Pits are not a breed specific, they a type that fits a physical charactoristic that is identified as a pit bull. Read current legislation and it will clear it up for you. The owner of the dog who is a self proclaimed expert says that it is a pit bull.
cyclist

Concord, NC

#13 Feb 25, 2010
Todd Young I saw you on Fox News last night. Congratulations. Youíve got a hard road ahead of you but there are a lot of people out here like me that are on the bubble. I understand that the meeting is some time in April. Let me know the exact date. I would like to come and listen and may participate.
Kim P

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2010
i am the proud owner of four pitbull show dogs. i think this ban is CRAZY there is no way i will get rid of my dogs b/c of one and i say ONE bad owner. The dogs themselves are not bad infact the one that stays in my house best friend is my two year old cat..So make your little stink Mr Young you will have a fight on your hands!!!
pissed off parent

Concord, NC

#15 Feb 25, 2010
cyclist wrote:
Todd Young I saw you on Fox News last night. Congratulations. Youíve got a hard road ahead of you but there are a lot of people out here like me that are on the bubble. I understand that the meeting is some time in April. Let me know the exact date. I would like to come and listen and may participate.
Yea please let me know also!
Annoyed

Charlotte, NC

#16 Feb 25, 2010
Any dog is capable of biting or attacking another dog or a human. The most aggressive dog breed I've ever run across is the Chuhuahua. Why not ban them while your at it?
Working in law enforcement, I've seen several cases where Greyhounds have bitten people.... usually in the face. You cannot lump one breed into one behavioral catagory. Pit bulls are energetic, usually very loyal to their family, or pack. Mine is not willing to leave the house without me. She gets along great with other dogs and loves to play with children. I take her for walks as much as possible. She loves to cuddle with the cat and I catch them grooming eachother all of the time. Everybody who meets her loves her.
just asking wrote:
Ajax

Charlotte, NC

#17 Feb 25, 2010
Annoyed wrote:
Any dog is capable of biting or attacking another dog or a human. The most aggressive dog breed I've ever run across is the Chuhuahua. Why not ban them while your at it?
Working in law enforcement, I've seen several cases where Greyhounds have bitten people.... usually in the face. You cannot lump one breed into one behavioral catagory. Pit bulls are energetic, usually very loyal to their family, or pack. Mine is not willing to leave the house without me. She gets along great with other dogs and loves to play with children. I take her for walks as much as possible. She loves to cuddle with the cat and I catch them grooming eachother all of the time. Everybody who meets her loves her.
<quoted text>
You really should do some research before posting. The CDC would be a good place to start. Pits are more likley to bite than any other breed and they are responsible for more than half of all attacks. Your and others loyalty to these dogs is great but they do not belong in neighborhoods with children period.
Ajax

Charlotte, NC

#18 Feb 25, 2010
Kim P wrote:
i am the proud owner of four pitbull show dogs. i think this ban is CRAZY there is no way i will get rid of my dogs b/c of one and i say ONE bad owner. The dogs themselves are not bad infact the one that stays in my house best friend is my two year old cat..So make your little stink Mr Young you will have a fight on your hands!!!
There are way more than one bad owner and a lot good owners that have bad dogs. This guy just wants them restricted in neighborhoods. They are not recognized by the AKC so where do you show these dogs?
MrLogic

Charlotte, NC

#19 Feb 25, 2010
Heres an Idea. Why dont they push to ban all dogs that could potentially injure a human...say...all dogs over 15 Lbs. I bet that would change the tune of anti-pitbull lobbyists. I bet they wouldnt want to see their beloved boxer, german shepard, Labrador, Golden Retriever, dalmation, english bulldog, greyhound, rottweiler, doberman, or any mix big enough carted off because of a statistic or stereotype. Any dog can be dangerous, and yes pits have all the right tools. If they are mean, they are raised that way. Some dogs require more attention than others. Human aggression isnt a genetic trait of the pitbull. Heck the dog that Todd got bit by wasnt even after him, it was after his dog, and yes he did get bit. BUT thats a given when trying to break up a dog attack. It didnt go directly after Todd. Even the mean ones wont bite a human unless they feel threatened. All dogs are territorial. Pitbulls as well as many other breeds require love, attention, excersise, and socialization. If you chain a dog outside, never play with it, never bring it around other people or dogs, never walk it, and then dont feed it right...it will be mean. Thats any dog. PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!
someone with common sense

Atlanta, GA

#20 Feb 25, 2010
Americans are sheep! I have owned two American Pit Bull Terriers ( not a mongrel with unknown ancestry that fits a description). The first one I owned was very dog aggressive but never showed aggression towards any humans in the seven years that i was fortunate to own her. I never had even an issue with her attacking other dogs because i am a responsible owner, who kept a close eye on her and knows the signs of when a dog fight is going to happen. The male pitt I have now is 14 months old and has absolutly no dog or human aggression in him. Instead of banning a breed how about charging neglegent owners with assault and let them serve time in jail for their crimes, this type of system would suit me fine because I will never be one of those people and I won't have to base where I live on wether or not the breed of dog I choose to own is legal or not. If you are one of those people that think all Pitt bulls are killing machines you have obviously never been around a true balanced APBT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gaston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Last Place on Earth closing Sep '17 Josieblue 14
News VIDEO: Funnel cloud spotted in Mecklenburg County Sep '17 abc123 1
News Gaston Co. police officer's home shot into as s... Aug '17 Tigermk6 1
Wallace Lanford and Pinkney Mitchell (Nov '08) Aug '17 Valentinelady 51
News One injured, one dead in Pharr accident (Nov '16) Jul '17 Go Tarheels 5
News Hateful graffiti found at apartment building Re... (May '17) May '17 no diver 1
News Videos of drivers in Belmont uploaded to YouTube (Jun '14) May '17 Just a little info 137
More from around the web