DEBATE: Retreat coverage touched a nerve

DEBATE: Retreat coverage touched a nerve

There are 17 comments on the The Gaston Gazette story from Jan 15, 2011, titled DEBATE: Retreat coverage touched a nerve. In it, The Gaston Gazette reports that:

Gazette Jan. 15, 2011 editorial: The Topic Reporting on council decision The Point Newspaper has obligation to report council's decision Newspapers throughout history have played a key role in the democratic process.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gaston Gazette.

Sniper

Charlotte, NC

#1 Jan 15, 2011
There's debates going on left and right about this retreat and I'm posting on everyone of them.

If by chance you read Topix Ms. Memrick, thank you for reporting the story and being unbiased. You didn't make up the dollar figures, they're a matter of public record. However, in Mt. Holly was happens in Mt. Holly is SUPPOSE to stay in Mt. Holly, glad you didn't get the memo.

Keep up the good work.

Since: Oct 10

Charlotte, NC

#2 Jan 15, 2011
Sniper wrote:
There's debates going on left and right about this retreat and I'm posting on everyone of them.
If by chance you read Topix Ms. Memrick, thank you for reporting the story and being unbiased. You didn't make up the dollar figures, they're a matter of public record. However, in Mt. Holly was happens in Mt. Holly is SUPPOSE to stay in Mt. Holly, glad you didn't get the memo.
Keep up the good work.
From reading the article in today’s paper is sounds like Amanda Memrick got the follow-up nasty email from the mayor’s wife.

And I also say good job Amanda Memrick for doing your job.
Really

Detroit, MI

#3 Jan 15, 2011
Whoot! Whoot! Go Amanda!!! Maybe Hough will take his commission check and pay their way. If it's not enough, ask the city attorney to help with his payment from the Greenway MOU!
keep the pressure on

Charlotte, NC

#4 Jan 15, 2011
They didn't like the sensational tone? They are so completely out of touch. The paper and the citizens should keep the pressure on in hopes they'll cancel it and stay home to get their work done. And if not, we should demand a minute by minute, penny by penny accounting of what they did and what they spent.

I'd love to see Amanda print the agenda for the retreat, the minutes from the work sessions, the menu, the ACTUAL cost...hell, we could all chip in and pay to send Amanda to cover it all!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#5 Jan 15, 2011
Advice for city council: If the Gazette calls you, say "no comment." Otherwise, you'll stick your foot in your mouth.
Griffey

Charlotte, NC

#6 Jan 15, 2011
I have read on other posts of people questioning the council's actions during council meetings. The posts have said they were/felt threatened or ridiculed for this. The council could not do this to the Gazette and it sounds as if they are pouting.

Maybe Amanda should try to expose this next, does other city councils act in this manner? I have watched the Gastonia council meetings on cable and have never seen unprofessional actions toward people opposing the council's actions! Based on that, I have a feeling that once again, our council is the only one that acts in this manner!
ObiWan

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jan 18, 2011
Griffey wrote:
I have read on other posts of people questioning the council's actions during council meetings. The posts have said they were/felt threatened or ridiculed for this. The council could not do this to the Gazette and it sounds as if they are pouting.
Maybe Amanda should try to expose this next, does other city councils act in this manner? I have watched the Gastonia council meetings on cable and have never seen unprofessional actions toward people opposing the council's actions! Based on that, I have a feeling that once again, our council is the only one that acts in this manner!
Do the Mount Holly CC meetings get taped or televised? I might have to bring my vidcam to get the next one on tape...
No vacation

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jan 18, 2011
keep the pressure on wrote:
They didn't like the sensational tone? They are so completely out of touch. The paper and the citizens should keep the pressure on in hopes they'll cancel it and stay home to get their work done. And if not, we should demand a minute by minute, penny by penny accounting of what they did and what they spent.
I'd love to see Amanda print the agenda for the retreat, the minutes from the work sessions, the menu, the ACTUAL cost...hell, we could all chip in and pay to send Amanda to cover it all!
Why should a reporter from the Gazette get a vacation at the Grandover?
Sniper

Charlotte, NC

#9 Jan 18, 2011
ObiWan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the Mount Holly CC meetings get taped or televised? I might have to bring my vidcam to get the next one on tape...
If you've got some extra time and about $4000 on hand, head on to Greensboro and tape that meeting. We need to see firsthand how our tax dollars are being used. Keep in mind before you commit, councilman Moore did make the statement that there would be no golf or spa. I know for me this might be the deal breaker.
Really

United States

#10 Jan 18, 2011
No vacation wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it doesn't cost taxpayers for the Gazette to go.
Do You Read

Charlotte, NC

#11 Jan 18, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it doesn't cost taxpayers for the Gazette to go.
No pressure suggested that we all chip in to send the reporter. I am a tax payer so if I chipped in it would cost me money.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#12 Jan 18, 2011
cyclechick wrote:
<quoted text>
From reading the article in today’s paper is sounds like Amanda Memrick got the follow-up nasty email from the mayor’s wife.
And I also say good job Amanda Memrick for doing your job.
Did the reporter really hear from Houghs wife?
ObiWan

Charlotte, NC

#13 Jan 18, 2011
Do You Read wrote:
<quoted text>
No pressure suggested that we all chip in to send the reporter. I am a tax payer so if I chipped in it would cost me money.
Yes but if you don't chip in you won't face imprisonment and garnishment of wages.
keep the pressure on

Charlotte, NC

#14 Jan 18, 2011
No vacation wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief, it was just a joke. Maybe we can all chip in buy you a sense of humor.
Really

Charlotte, NC

#15 Jan 20, 2011
ObiWan wrote:
<quoted text>
They will ask you to turn it off or to leave. They do not want to be filmed or recorded unless it is the press. You will need a press pass.
Really

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jan 20, 2011
someone should do that and put the best parts on You Tube....that would go viral, especially when Hope and Hough join up and call the local newspaper a "gossip rag".
Really

United States

#17 Jan 20, 2011
There will be plenty of info at the trial in Feb between the former Finance Officer and the city. Let's see council explain all that away. That's when you'll hear alot of "no comments".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gaston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gaston co man raped Lincolnton teen Dec 3 pissed off 1
News Program aims at rehabilitation over incarceration Nov 19 Shea Shires 1
News Kelso has no regrets over POTUS run Nov 14 Clueless 3
News One injured, one dead in Pharr accident Nov 13 J Dawg 2
News Police: Man had knife at Belmont softball practice Oct '16 Belmont_Chick 1
News Education 20 mins ago 4:07 p.m.Gaston Co. stude... Oct '16 DAZZLE LINE 1
News My Turn: By not releasing report on chiefa s te... (Sep '15) Oct '16 Reader2 10
More from around the web