GDC union workers voice opposition to...

GDC union workers voice opposition to SB 5

There are 40 comments on the Daily Sentinel story from Mar 21, 2011, titled GDC union workers voice opposition to SB 5. In it, Daily Sentinel reports that:

Approximately 30 union employees who work at the Gallipolis Developmental Center held a rally on Saturday in Gallipolis to voice their opposition to Ohio Senate Bill 5 , a measure which would abolish collective bargaining rights of public employees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#1 Mar 21, 2011
Just thirty employees, come on, there is no union at GDC. There are some people who doesn't care about their job. Afraid of losing your job or just scared? Get a grip and raised hell. Sound like that employees are scared and running like hell. Where is the Union????????? Bunch of anti-union employees to me. If you can raise hell, go and hide some where!!!!!
true

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 21, 2011
MommyMeKay wrote:
Just thirty employees, come on, there is no union at GDC. There are some people who doesn't care about their job. Afraid of losing your job or just scared? Get a grip and raised hell. Sound like that employees are scared and running like hell. Where is the Union????????? Bunch of anti-union employees to me. If you can raise hell, go and hide some where!!!!!
I believe afraid and scared mean the same thing. Your post makes absolutely no sense. Perhaps there were only 30 that day because a lot of people work second shift and have family obligations. There have been several bus trips to Columbus that a lot of people went on to "raise hell" as you say. Unless you are one of the union members employed by GDC, you have no right to judge. Nobody at GDC has to explain or justify there support of the union.

Location hidden

#3 Mar 24, 2011
I know that the employees won't stay together if the union decide to strike. People gets running scarce and you can't trust anyone.
When you had that rally, did the Monday thru Friday workers come to the park? You have the garage, maintenance, food services, laundry and custodials employees for the rally. Now, how many show up and out of those thirty, how many was TPW? Five groups of workers and where was the teachers, fireman, county workers and State Highway Department.
true

Chicago, IL

#4 Mar 24, 2011
MommyMeKay wrote:
I know that the employees won't stay together if the union decide to strike. People gets running scarce and you can't trust anyone.
When you had that rally, did the Monday thru Friday workers come to the park? You have the garage, maintenance, food services, laundry and custodials employees for the rally. Now, how many show up and out of those thirty, how many was TPW? Five groups of workers and where was the teachers, fireman, county workers and State Highway Department.
Unless you are a member of the union, why do you care? If it doesn't affect you, why worry? It is what it is.
Toe jamS

Bidwell, OH

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Hour so nice
Gordon Gekko

Norwich, OH

#6 Mar 25, 2011
SB5 is a slap in the face to america workers

Location hidden

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Since 1977, they have been so many affairs at work. The purpose of the center is to take care of the clients. Well, in 77, they decided to let the women and men live together. It only hurt the employees because they can't keep their hands to themselves. More sex was go on between the employees than the clients. Now with the abuse, it go on each day and mostly on weekends. Most Nursing Home has the same problem too. I don't know what to do unless they have employees to take a test for honestry.
true

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 25, 2011
MommyMeKay wrote:
Since 1977, they have been so many affairs at work. The purpose of the center is to take care of the clients. Well, in 77, they decided to let the women and men live together. It only hurt the employees because they can't keep their hands to themselves. More sex was go on between the employees than the clients. Now with the abuse, it go on each day and mostly on weekends. Most Nursing Home has the same problem too. I don't know what to do unless they have employees to take a test for honestry.
Not sure what honestry is. It's not nearly as drama filled as all the posters on here make it out to be. Anytime you have an employer that employees as many people as GDC, there's bound to be some drama. I like to live by the motto "if it's not affecting my marriage or me, then it's not my business". It seems others could benefit from this motto as well. I'm not sure why everybody is so concerned with it. The ones that continue to post about all the drama at GDC seem to be the ones surrounded by drama. That always amuses me... People complaining about drama, but never realizing they are the ones that create the drama.
true

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 25, 2011
By drama I mean the same user names posting their two cents on every thread, wether it pertains to them or not.
just saying

Chicago, IL

#10 Mar 27, 2011
I know She is long gone but several years ago I got into some problems with a pregnancy issue and needed medically off work went to president of union Mildred hamilton her exact words were ( bend over and kiss my ass good bye ) she told me it was a self in-flicked injury. A torn placenta, which I work I'm transport, needless to say I had to get a lawyer because i was fired. No thanks to wonderful union I was not part of their click and received no help. I got my job back thanks to my lawyer not the union. I have extreme mixed emotions about union.
Union member

Frisco, TX

#11 Mar 27, 2011
Unions are good about taking union dues, but when the time comes that you need representation they sometimes don't want to help !!!

Birch6969

Since: Feb 11

Wapakoneta, OH

#12 Mar 27, 2011
If you are doing it for publication,that is wrong but "Unite" your fellow employees and fight for your rights. Don't be a single group. Join with your public employees because it is getting worse. The government is changing with the times. The schools system will change too. Going with one school board per county and not one school. Gallia Co. will have one board over the Gallipolis City, South Gallia and River Valley. They need to change River Valley to another name. How about Eastman Valley School? Name after Robert Eastman, he was a very good ballplayer and a business man. Or, we can call it Bob Evans High School. That would a honor to Bob. He was so nice to our county people.

“If u cant say anything nice...”

Location hidden

#13 Mar 30, 2011
Well it passed,whats gonna happen now?
sad

United States

#14 Mar 30, 2011
_Julie_ wrote:
Well it passed,whats gonna happen now?
State employees are going to lose some of their bargaining rights. And pay increases. The local businesses will then suffer when people can't afford to spend any money there. It's a domino effect. Ohio as a whole will suffer.
Have noticed this

United States

#15 Mar 30, 2011
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
State employees are going to lose some of their bargaining rights. And pay increases. The local businesses will then suffer when people can't afford to spend any money there. It's a domino effect. Ohio as a whole will suffer.
You don't shop local so why would they care?
sad

United States

#16 Mar 30, 2011
Have noticed this wrote:
<quoted text>You don't shop local so why would they care?
How the hell do you know where I shop? I most certainly do shop local. As in Walmart, Kmart, and any other local business. How about quit trying to worry about shit that you obviously don't have a clue about? It's morons like you that continue to give Gallipolis a bad name.
Your Dumb

United States

#17 Mar 30, 2011
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
How the hell do you know where I shop? I most certainly do shop local. As in Walmart, Kmart, and any other local business. How about quit trying to worry about shit that you obviously don't have a clue about? It's morons like you that continue to give Gallipolis a bad name.
Yes local $$ going to not so local business wow you are really intelligent
This is how

United States

#18 Mar 30, 2011
sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the local business employees have the same benefits as the public ones? NO
hester

United States

#19 Mar 30, 2011
clients oppose being tased to huh tammy?
sad

United States

#20 Mar 30, 2011
Your Dumb wrote:
<quoted text>Yes local $$ going to not so local business wow you are really intelligent
Are you all so ignorant that you dont know what a domino effect is? Wether it be a "not so local" business like Walmart or a local business like Foodland, everybody will see the effects. If the state workers get their pay cut or lose their job, that means they have less money to spend. If they don't have money to spend at our local businesses, those businesses have decreased profits. If those businesses have decreased profit, they can't afford to continue to pay their employees. If they can't afford to pay their employees, employees get laid off. Then everyone suffers. So yes all the local residents that work at your "not so local" businesses suffer too. Does that help you understand? Was it broke down into simple enough terms for you? And your going to make fun of my intelligence? Perhaps you should think it through before trying to belittle someone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallia County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - 4 hr Darlene 35
News Queen sentenced to 6 and half years in prison (Feb '16) Fri wow 5
News Gallia deputies discover body - 2:06 am updated: Jul 4 Oogle 54
Mindy robinson Jun '17 Just me 1
Drugs on bulaville pike Apr '17 Disgusting 2
Misty Baird Apr '17 Ole school 2
Gwynn Darnbrough Apr '17 Blah 3
More from around the web