Stubbs had ink in his veins

Full story: Alamogordo Daily News

It was with much sadness that I read of the death of longtime editor Al Stubbs. He served the Daily News long and well as editor.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Ladyastronomer

Holloman Air Force Base, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

This is well phrased Dr. Townsend! Al wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Al hired me fresh out of journalism school with some wit and some promise. He promised me good stories of our area and he promised me long hours in doing the job that I was supposed to do. He accepted nothing but excellence from his meager staff of editors and reporters. And if you failed that mission, you were kind heartedly "punished" to doing a lot of necessary grunt work for the paper.

Many folks are unaware that it was a younger Al Stubbs that was working for the Roswell Record who first reported that some sort of "alien" aircraft had supposedly crashed near Roswell. It was his story that went out to the Associated Press and has since made history.

I liked Al. If you did a good job he was excited. If you did something half-assed, he climb on yours to get it done right. His job wasn't to teach you to do your job. Yet, he made sure that you damn well knew not only how to the job, but do it right.

I left the newspaper business not long after Al retired. I witnessed the decline of accurate and complete news reporting and didn't want to be a part of "that." You see, Al taught some of us that the news should be that - the news.

My thoughts are with his wife Flossie and the rest of the family. And I'm ever so grateful that a man by the name of Al Stubbs had such a great influence on me.

“Leadership is listening.”

Since: Jan 09

Casper, WY and Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

BTW, this is me. I wasn't signed in at the time.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Of course! It was written so eloquently, I knew it was you.

BTW, how's your foot doing?
johnqpublic

Mescalero, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

large

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gaines County Discussions

Search the Gaines County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Rodolfo Chavarria-Balderrama (Dec '09) Dec '13 Nicole Medina-Garcia 21
NewsChannel 11 Sits Down With the Family of Sea... (Apr '08) Nov '13 Jackie J - Rochester MI 7
Hobbs man indicted for double homicide (Jun '12) Jun '12 glumtg 1
Two arrested, charged in Seminole murder (Feb '10) Mar '10 unknown 25
Letters to the editor (Aug '08) Nov '09 agent 007 7
Arson Arrest (Apr '08) Apr '08 NOT AVAILABLE 1
Tuesday night storm batters Seminole (Jun '07) Jun '07 michael sellars 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••