Stubbs had ink in his veins

Stubbs had ink in his veins

There are 4 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Oct 15, 2009, titled Stubbs had ink in his veins. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

It was with much sadness that I read of the death of longtime editor Al Stubbs. He served the Daily News long and well as editor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

Ladyastronomer

Alamogordo, NM

#1 Oct 16, 2009
This is well phrased Dr. Townsend! Al wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Al hired me fresh out of journalism school with some wit and some promise. He promised me good stories of our area and he promised me long hours in doing the job that I was supposed to do. He accepted nothing but excellence from his meager staff of editors and reporters. And if you failed that mission, you were kind heartedly "punished" to doing a lot of necessary grunt work for the paper.

Many folks are unaware that it was a younger Al Stubbs that was working for the Roswell Record who first reported that some sort of "alien" aircraft had supposedly crashed near Roswell. It was his story that went out to the Associated Press and has since made history.

I liked Al. If you did a good job he was excited. If you did something half-assed, he climb on yours to get it done right. His job wasn't to teach you to do your job. Yet, he made sure that you damn well knew not only how to the job, but do it right.

I left the newspaper business not long after Al retired. I witnessed the decline of accurate and complete news reporting and didn't want to be a part of "that." You see, Al taught some of us that the news should be that - the news.

My thoughts are with his wife Flossie and the rest of the family. And I'm ever so grateful that a man by the name of Al Stubbs had such a great influence on me.

“Leadership is listening.”

Since: Jan 09

Casper, WY and Alamogordo, NM

#2 Oct 16, 2009
BTW, this is me. I wasn't signed in at the time.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#3 Oct 16, 2009
Of course! It was written so eloquently, I knew it was you.

BTW, how's your foot doing?
johnqpublic

Ruidoso, NM

#4 Oct 16, 2009
large

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gaines County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rodolfo Chavarria-Balderrama (Dec '09) Oct '16 Nicole Medina- Ga... 23
News Hobbs man indicted for double homicide (Jun '12) Jul '15 Tara 2
Gaines County convicted double murderer screams... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Tara 1
News Mata screams 'no' after found guilty of 2 capit... (Jan '15) Feb '15 Tara 4
New Mexico Woman Gets Life in Prison Over 2 Tex... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Maria 1
News NewsChannel 11 Sits Down With the Family of Sea... (Apr '08) Nov '13 Jackie J - Roches... 7
News Two arrested, charged in Seminole murder (Feb '10) Mar '10 unknown 25
More from around the web