PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more...

PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more road enforcement

There are 38 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 29, 2011, titled PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more road enforcement. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Throughout the past couple of months I have witnessed the stupidity of a lifetime on Franklin County roads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#22 Mar 30, 2011
Orwell wrote:
I drive around the area a reasonable amount. I see some bad driving, but mostly I see good driving. It is impossible for the police to control things the writer is talking about. The solution is to play defense! I figure about every 5th car I encounter is being operated by someone who is dangerous for some reason. There are folks who are driving DISTRACTED by all sorts of things (phones, radios, GPS units, work / spouse problems, cigarettes, coffee mugs, etc.). They are also the IMPAIRED. They are old / ill / see poorly, are on medication, have diabetes / heart disease, are on booze / illegal drugs, etc. Drive with your vehicle under total control and assume one of these above folks is going to find you. They will. So, if you are prepared to avoid them in some way, you will be more likely to survive. Also, keep your speed under control and wear your seat belt. It indeed is a NASCAR event out there except the drivers aren't pros and aren't operating world-class machines. Drving is very dangerous even when everybody is doing it well. Think only about driving when on the road and have two hands free to operate the vehicle every second. Never take you eyes off what is in front of you. One look at your radio / CD and you could be dead.
Every 5th car? You're quite an optimist. I figure every car I encounter is being operated by someone matching the description you have given.
Dan the Man

Bensalem, PA

#23 Mar 30, 2011
disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Every 5th car? You're quite an optimist. I figure every car I encounter is being operated by someone matching the description you have given.
Every one but yours, right?
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#24 Mar 30, 2011
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Every one but yours, right?
Think about brainiac. I can't be an oncoming car to myself.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#25 Mar 30, 2011
Think about it, brainiac.
Say What

Reading, PA

#26 Mar 30, 2011
yea yea wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm, purchase and install cameras...sounds like more money coming out of my taxes.DISLIKE dumb people who do dumb things will learn the hard way.
Cameras won't work in PA as you MUST be able to ID the driver for any traffic citation-charge!!!!
Dan the Man

Bensalem, PA

#27 Mar 30, 2011
disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about brainiac. I can't be an oncoming car to myself.
You are to me, brainiac.

And clearly I should have the same attitude as you do.
doesnt matter

Fort Loudon, PA

#28 Mar 30, 2011
my favorite thing is to be driving down the road sein somebody pulled over for example talkimg on ther cell phones and five minutes later you see the same cop who pulled this person over driving down the road talking on his cell. double standards i say
Wow

Greencastle, PA

#29 Mar 30, 2011
Some people write the dumbest Letters To The Editor. What isn't amazing is that there are comments, this is Franklin County.
tranplant

Mercersburg, PA

#30 Mar 30, 2011
16 and 416 are just as crazy. I looked forward to getting away from the aggressive drivers on the DC beltway. Little did I know that reckless drivers awaited me up here. Its really crazy what people do on these state roads.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#31 Mar 30, 2011
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You are to me, brainiac.
And clearly I should have the same attitude as you do.
Is that a problem for you? I know you have an attitude, but is it the same as mine?
ramble

Carlisle, PA

#32 Mar 30, 2011
...getting back the article. Enforcement. The writer suggests more enforcement in the same breather as stating that the police are spread too thin. Calling police when appropriate is an excellent idea, but I don't think we can complain about the lack of enforcement otherwise, unless we are willing to cough up more taxes to pay more police officers.
i hate stupid people

Greencastle, PA

#33 Mar 30, 2011
doesnt matter wrote:
my favorite thing is to be driving down the road sein somebody pulled over for example talkimg on ther cell phones and five minutes later you see the same cop who pulled this person over driving down the road talking on his cell. double standards i say
Talking on your cell phone while driving in PA is not against the law (yet). You should check your facts before showing everyone how stupid you really are.
See the Light

Chambersburg, PA

#34 Mar 31, 2011
Get used to it.
P.O. prepare this editorial with a --fill in the blank.
Why doesn't govt enforce__________fill in your favorite pet peeve)
This is what the taxpayers (actually the leaders who control the sheep) want and they are going to get it.
Be careful what you wish for...
The decide now-think later crowd is in control and will be until the havenots see the light. Might not happen until the 1% own 99%(it's only about 5% owning 95% now but the gap is closing fast).
clean record

Chambersburg, PA

#35 Mar 31, 2011
well said resident-- also check the tire marks on the curb in front of McDonnalds someone is going to get killed
Concerned

Carlisle, PA

#36 Mar 31, 2011
right wrote:
I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those mettling kids.
Right Jefferey?
Gotten away with what?
Concerned

Carlisle, PA

#37 Mar 31, 2011
Wow wrote:
Some people write the dumbest Letters To The Editor. What isn't amazing is that there are comments, this is Franklin County.
What a moron you dont care about dying, you must be one of the idiots being discussed!
anon

Chambersburg, PA

#38 Mar 31, 2011
DGS wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the drive going 5-10 mph under the speed limit is a new driver, just beginning his life as a driver in this area, or perhaps an older driver that knows that their reaction time is not what it was when they were younger, so they drive slower to ensure that they have ample time to avoid an accident if someone darts out in front of them. The speed limit is the UPPER limit. I routinely drive 5 mph below the speed limit. In the rain in the dark, I may drive 35 in a 45mph speed limit zone. I have no right to tell another driver how fast to drive.
I don't mind people going under the speed limit, just move over to the right lane. I see people everyday who drive way under the speed limit in the left lane and traffic backs up for a mile or two. Just move over so people can pass safely.
DGS

Newville, PA

#39 Mar 31, 2011
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind people going under the speed limit, just move over to the right lane. I see people everyday who drive way under the speed limit in the left lane and traffic backs up for a mile or two. Just move over so people can pass safely.
Absolutely. What drives me crazy is two people in front of me, one in each lane going the same speed for miles. Sheeesh, someone speed up or slow down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former popular Chambersburg hangout to bea Fri Test 2
Mercersburg pa rutters Sep 15 Michael j martz 1
News 2 men charged with illegal re-entry Jun '17 spytheweb 1
News A fee for state police: Fair or double taxation? (Feb '17) Feb '17 grab your wallet 2
Vincent e martz egor (Jan '17) Jan '17 martz friends 1
Vincent e martz-egor (Mar '16) Jun '16 martz friends 2
News Local educator turns up in diploma-mill case | ... (Jun '10) Mar '16 TruthSquad 8
More from around the web