PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more...

PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more road enforcement

There are 38 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 29, 2011, titled PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: We need more road enforcement. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Throughout the past couple of months I have witnessed the stupidity of a lifetime on Franklin County roads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Agree

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Mar 30, 2011
I have to agree!! Just in the past week I've been in the Waynesboro area a couple of times and have witnessed several pedestrians crossing the street, but not at crosswalks!! This is a very dangerous habit, and even more so in Waynesboro, it seems!! No wonder they have such a high rate of accidents!! Law enforcement can not be everywhere. The towns/ boros should purchase and install cameras to catch these people and issue fines. Most of the time they are exiting their vehicles, so getting a license plate number shouldn't be too hard. Or, perhaps the police staff even know the person and can issue the fines. Something has to be done!!
hear ya on that

Newville, PA

#3 Mar 30, 2011
try living on rt 30 in st. thomas. i'm half afraid to get the mail some days. 35mph my a$$. i've lived here for 10 years, and there is usually an accident about every 6 months that could have been avoided if the laws were being followed.
right

Spring Grove, PA

#4 Mar 30, 2011
I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those mettling kids.

Right Jefferey?
roadrunner

Gettysburg, PA

#5 Mar 30, 2011
We need more cowbell.
resident

Newville, PA

#6 Mar 30, 2011
How about on Lincoln way heading towards fayetteville (by dodies)i have been ran into the middle lane, and cut off by people not making that right hand turn, H^&& i have even seen them keep driving along the side up to and past kyners just to get over, i'm surprised there has not been an accident there yet. And when the school zone is flashing people are still flying on Lincoln way and up main st in fay.
AID

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Mar 30, 2011
sounds like this writer could be the road hazard !
seen this kind before !
yea yea

Mercersburg, PA

#8 Mar 30, 2011
I travel the I81 corridor from Scotland to Chambersburg everyday. That construction area is just ridiculous. It is basically a 'cattle shoot' that everyone just plows into.#1-those lanes are TOO narrow, bad idea on whose ever idea that was.

Sometimes I believe drivers are too cautious. Yes it is a 55mph zone there. does that mean go 40-45? when that happens, then the aggression and road rage begins, to which causes drivers to cross that solid white line. Maintain the speed limit (giving the conditions) and this will all be avoided. This goes for everywhere. I know for a fact it aggrevates me when I am behind a Sunday driver doing 10 below the speed limit when I have to go to work.
yea yea

Mercersburg, PA

#9 Mar 30, 2011
Agree wrote:
I have to agree!! Just in the past week I've been in the Waynesboro area a couple of times and have witnessed several pedestrians crossing the street, but not at crosswalks!! This is a very dangerous habit, and even more so in Waynesboro, it seems!! No wonder they have such a high rate of accidents!! Law enforcement can not be everywhere. The towns/ boros should purchase and install cameras to catch these people and issue fines. Most of the time they are exiting their vehicles, so getting a license plate number shouldn't be too hard. Or, perhaps the police staff even know the person and can issue the fines. Something has to be done!!
hmmm, purchase and install cameras...sounds like more money coming out of my taxes.DISLIKE dumb people who do dumb things will learn the hard way.
DGS

Catonsville, MD

#10 Mar 30, 2011
yea yea wrote:
I travel the I81 corridor from Scotland to Chambersburg everyday. That construction area is just ridiculous. It is basically a 'cattle shoot' that everyone just plows into.#1-those lanes are TOO narrow, bad idea on whose ever idea that was.
Sometimes I believe drivers are too cautious. Yes it is a 55mph zone there. does that mean go 40-45? when that happens, then the aggression and road rage begins, to which causes drivers to cross that solid white line. Maintain the speed limit (giving the conditions) and this will all be avoided. This goes for everywhere. I know for a fact it aggrevates me when I am behind a Sunday driver doing 10 below the speed limit when I have to go to work.
Perhaps the drive going 5-10 mph under the speed limit is a new driver, just beginning his life as a driver in this area, or perhaps an older driver that knows that their reaction time is not what it was when they were younger, so they drive slower to ensure that they have ample time to avoid an accident if someone darts out in front of them. The speed limit is the UPPER limit. I routinely drive 5 mph below the speed limit. In the rain in the dark, I may drive 35 in a 45mph speed limit zone. I have no right to tell another driver how fast to drive.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#11 Mar 30, 2011
Matthews, are you the guy who drives the late 90s model Buick who insist on doing 54 in the passing lane of I-81?(Giant recreation vehicles from Canada pass and flip you off).Or are you the guy in the 1978 pickup who brakes at every intersection to check traffic before proceeding? Please tell me you're not the guy who lets every car at the 4-way stop go, because you're so courteous.
Seriously, don't balme traffic deaths in the county on lack of police enforcement. Some of the folks with mulitple traffic violations are the very ones involved in major crashes. Writing citations only takes care of a problem afer it occurs. For every car pulled over by state boys, there are hundreds flying by at 15-25 mph over the limit. In fact, I make it a practice to puch the pedal after I see someone already pulled over. Usually there's not another cop on the interstate for another several miles.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#12 Mar 30, 2011
yea yea wrote:
It's a seriously bad idea to try to pass a semi in those snake turns at the construction zone mentioned. There's not enough safe space for a vehicle and a semi to ride side by side. Observe the marks on the barriers, they were not made by an art class. If a trucker crosses the center lane, you could end up with a really bad paint job... or worse.
Hayseed

Geigertown, PA

#13 Mar 30, 2011
Westbound traffic on U.S. 30 in front of McDonald's is awful. The right lane is clearly marked, but some folks think the signs warning that the lane ends (and they they need to merge) is just a suggestion. there was a fender bender there this morning because (dude on his cell phone) obviously thought the arrows were in his favor. Be courteous folks, but most of all, be alert.
yea yea

Mercersburg, PA

#14 Mar 30, 2011
Hayseed wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a seriously bad idea to try to pass a semi in those snake turns at the construction zone mentioned. There's not enough safe space for a vehicle and a semi to ride side by side. Observe the marks on the barriers, they were not made by an art class. If a trucker crosses the center lane, you could end up with a really bad paint job... or worse.
I agree. Those lanes are terrible. you can barely pass a regualar sized vehicle, let alone a semi. I cannot wait until that construction is done for!!!!
yea yea

Mercersburg, PA

#15 Mar 30, 2011
DGS wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the drive going 5-10 mph under the speed limit is a new driver, just beginning his life as a driver in this area, or perhaps an older driver that knows that their reaction time is not what it was when they were younger, so they drive slower to ensure that they have ample time to avoid an accident if someone darts out in front of them. The speed limit is the UPPER limit. I routinely drive 5 mph below the speed limit. In the rain in the dark, I may drive 35 in a 45mph speed limit zone. I have no right to tell another driver how fast to drive.
you're right, we don't have the right to tell them how fast to drive. Thus we will all have to live with the aggression forementioned in the original article..
Just me

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Mar 30, 2011
They tell us that more and more people are attending church these days. Obviously they do not consider breaking the law a sin, becasue when they get behind the wheel and speed, they are breaking the law therefore sinning. Maybe more people should try living within the law and not seeing how far outside the law they can get.
cooperation please

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Mar 30, 2011
COOPERATION: an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit.

Our children learned the meaning of this word from Sesame Street as toddlers!

Driving is a privilege. WE ALL SHARE ALL ROADS and as such, we must rid ourselves of our SELFISH driving habits and be CONCERNED FOR OTHERS.

THINK of your loved ones being in the cars around you and be CAUTIOUS.

Indulge selfish impulses in other ways OFF-ROAD, please. I agree with article that those who refuse to COOPERATE FOR MUTUAL SAFETY be apprehended.

Notice

Mansfield, OH

#18 Mar 30, 2011
Just me wrote:
They tell us that more and more people are attending church these days. Obviously they do not consider breaking the law a sin, becasue when they get behind the wheel and speed, they are breaking the law therefore sinning. Maybe more people should try living within the law and not seeing how far outside the law they can get.
Thanks for the oh-so-moronic correlation. Actually, no thanks.
Orwell

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Mar 30, 2011
I drive around the area a reasonable amount. I see some bad driving, but mostly I see good driving. It is impossible for the police to control things the writer is talking about. The solution is to play defense! I figure about every 5th car I encounter is being operated by someone who is dangerous for some reason. There are folks who are driving DISTRACTED by all sorts of things (phones, radios, GPS units, work / spouse problems, cigarettes, coffee mugs, etc.). They are also the IMPAIRED. They are old / ill / see poorly, are on medication, have diabetes / heart disease, are on booze / illegal drugs, etc. Drive with your vehicle under total control and assume one of these above folks is going to find you. They will. So, if you are prepared to avoid them in some way, you will be more likely to survive. Also, keep your speed under control and wear your seat belt. It indeed is a NASCAR event out there except the drivers aren't pros and aren't operating world-class machines. Drving is very dangerous even when everybody is doing it well. Think only about driving when on the road and have two hands free to operate the vehicle every second. Never take you eyes off what is in front of you. One look at your radio / CD and you could be dead.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#20 Mar 30, 2011
Just me wrote:
I thought a sin was when you broke God's law. Which commandment states thou shalt not speed? Speed limits were established by man and it is illegal to speed, but it's not a sin.
what

Shippensburg, PA

#21 Mar 30, 2011
Just me wrote:
What does that have to do with milking ducks????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court map could impact local race for Congress Thu Belg 1
News Former popular Chambersburg hangout to bea (Jul '17) Sep '17 Test 2
Mercersburg pa rutters Sep '17 Michael j martz 1
News 2 men charged with illegal re-entry (Jun '17) Jun '17 spytheweb 1
News A fee for state police: Fair or double taxation? (Feb '17) Feb '17 grab your wallet 2
Vincent e martz egor (Jan '17) Jan '17 martz friends 1
Vincent e martz-egor (Mar '16) Jun '16 martz friends 2
More from around the web