Neighbor charged with homicide

Neighbor charged with homicide

There are 287 comments on the Public Opinion story from Aug 15, 2009, titled Neighbor charged with homicide. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

There was apparently bad blood between two men involved in a fight Thursday night that ended in the death of one of the men.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

“What goes around comes around”

Since: Apr 09

Shippensburg

#30 Aug 16, 2009
L D Crittenden wrote:
Only in Chambersburg would people try and justify someone shooting another man in the back with a shotgun.
Only in Chambersburg would people try and turn such an incident into a case of reverse racism, painting Mr. Kelly as a victim.
As soon as i heard Andy was shot, I KNEW it had something to do with race. Because that's just how things operate in good ol' Chambersburg.
His wife may forgive him. But if Mr. Kelly is not prosecuted to the full extent of the law, I will make it my life's business to play this up in the national media, and involve every Civil Rights organization known to man.
In fact, I think I'll do that anyway, because, wrong or not, Andy did not deserve to get called out his name, and he did not deserve to get shot in th back.
And I'll put my name, because I'm not some coward scared to talk trash about a dead man behind a fake screen name.
Andy deserves justice. And Chambersburg needs to realize it still has some serious racial problems.
First of all it happened in shippensburg, second his name is Chad Kirby not Kelly. I was friends with both Andy and Chad, it is a terrible place to be. I try to put myself in both shoes I don't know what I would do if someone was beating out my front window with a bat that I already told to get off my propery with a handgun pointed at him. Keep in mind Chad knew Andy wasn't normally like this so he didn't know what to expect and he had his 2 small kids in the house..... In a split second what do you do? Keep in mind 911 was already called!
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

#31 Aug 16, 2009
crazy wrote:
this is a senseless crime.. who is this angry dude to go off killing people, obviously per the previous reports this crazy need HELP, anger management...I hope this loser rots in jail..******ole
And who was on whom's property instead of going home and letting the whole thing go? Call me names all you want, I am NOT gonna go beat on you or your house with a baseball bat. Come on MY property, threaten my family and destroy my property with a baseball bat, and I will call the police and let them hear me telling you to go home from behind a gun. If you don't have the good sense to go home, then what happens next depends on you. You are NOT getting into my house with my family. I KNOW this is what I would do because I HAVE been in this position. Too bad the families involved didn't videotape the incident like I did. In my case, there was irrefutable proof of exactly what happened.
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

#32 Aug 16, 2009
Oh, and the jerks that harassed my family and tried to intrude upon our home were white. In fact, of all the crimes I've ever had perpetrated upon my self or my property were committed by whites.
bystander

Hagerstown, MD

#33 Aug 16, 2009
SoWhat wrote:
A peace loving person do not go home after a confrontation, arm himslef with baseball bat and batter down doors, break windows and put a home under siege.
What a whitewash job. The guy was a psychotic who set out to murder someone. Since the attacker had left once before and gone home and armed himself, Mr. Kirby probably that was what was going to happen again and took action. Going home to get another battering ram? Did Kelly call 911 when she saw Andy arm himself and return? It will be interesting to hear what the police investigation discovers about that.
For those who have no idea where this happened it is way out in the boonies--miles from a State Police barracks. The probability of help arriving in time was zero.
Don't believe the b** s*** in this article. If Andy was so kind and gentle why did she leave him once before she married him?
No, this should not have happened and it would not have happened if Andy had not armed himself and then returned for a second round.
Andy got shot in the back because Kriby had the good sense to not left himself and his family be assaulted by a psychotic.
hmmm...key word here is shot in the back...sorry
bystander

Hagerstown, MD

#34 Aug 16, 2009
let-it-go wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all it happened in shippensburg, second his name is Chad Kirby not Kelly. I was friends with both Andy and Chad, it is a terrible place to be. I try to put myself in both shoes I don't know what I would do if someone was beating out my front window with a bat that I already told to get off my propery with a handgun pointed at him. Keep in mind Chad knew Andy wasn't normally like this so he didn't know what to expect and he had his 2 small kids in the house..... In a split second what do you do? Keep in mind 911 was already called!
keep in mind he had the intent to shoot him when he went and got the gun...you dont go and get a gun without the intent to use it...when he went inside and claimed he was checkin on his kids...he knew then what he was doing
bystander

Hagerstown, MD

#35 Aug 16, 2009
L D Crittenden wrote:
<quoted text>
My name is not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
I grew up in Chambersburg.
And having grown up in Chambersburg, my goal is to make sure the police DO THEIR JOBS and see to it that this murderer is put behind bars.
No one said Andy did not add to the situation.
But anyone who goes into their house, grabs a shotgun, and shoots a man in his back has committed a homicide.
Anyone who does this after assaulting a man and his child with racial epithets -- over an extended period of time no less -- has committed a hate crime.
That's the law. And I'm want to see to it that the police, and Franklin County Courthouse follow the rule of law.
So yes, in your terminology, I am going to get all Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson about this.
am to this
bystander

Hagerstown, MD

#36 Aug 16, 2009
What comes around wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, let's talk in legal speak. In court they can bring up both peoples past all they want. If there is no paperwork to back anything up, it becomes a he said, she said. Andy was in the yard busting up property. Property that can be replaced when both men have settled down. Chad produced two guns. TWO GUNS!!! He had time to do all this, but not the time to walk away and call the cops himself. He struck a minor in the face and pointed a gun at him. He used racial slurs (even though Andy continued to tell him he isn't a black man). Chad came out of his house (considered a safe haven) and shot Andy "IN THE BACK"!!!! ILLEGAL! He messed up right there! In Pennsylvania, the man has to be in your house to shoot him to begin with, but you still can't shoot him in the back! The prosecution will always contend that he/she was trying to leave the situation.
ummm if you read the newspaper...kirby had some issues with alcohol...and harrasment. how about that for a man with a gun i hope his kids never see him a day in their life just like andy's kids
Horatio

Shippensburg, PA

#37 Aug 16, 2009
Mr./Ms. Crittenden,
Should we not wait for all of the facts to be presented in a court of law, before we pass judgment on an entire community? I believe your comments are almost as inflamatory as those trying to justify the shooting without all facts present.

The facts are at this point, one man is dead, one is in jail, two families are devastated and destroyed, and racial tensions are increasing because of an isolated incident. Tirades will help the matter little if at all from either side.

Have faith in the better angels of our natures. We need to let things unfold before we rush to judgement on our community and justice system.
L D Crittenden wrote:
Only in Chambersburg would people try and justify someone shooting another man in the back with a shotgun.
Only in Chambersburg would people try and turn such an incident into a case of reverse racism, painting Mr. Kelly as a victim.
As soon as i heard Andy was shot, I KNEW it had something to do with race. Because that's just how things operate in good ol' Chambersburg.
His wife may forgive him. But if Mr. Kelly is not prosecuted to the full extent of the law, I will make it my life's business to play this up in the national media, and involve every Civil Rights organization known to man.
In fact, I think I'll do that anyway, because, wrong or not, Andy did not deserve to get called out his name, and he did not deserve to get shot in th back.
And I'll put my name, because I'm not some coward scared to talk trash about a dead man behind a fake screen name.
Andy deserves justice. And Chambersburg needs to realize it still has some serious racial problems.
firedrake

Downingtown, PA

#38 Aug 16, 2009
What comes around wrote:
I'm white and we used to play football in the street growing up. If a car came through, we would finish the play and the car would go through.
Children don't belong playing in the street.(I maybe could understand IF it's at the END of a dead-end road) otherwise streets = cars, motorcycles etc. Sidewalks and yards are for people.
I don't care what colour you are.
I'm so glad I moved away from the "boondocks" of Shippensburg and from the nutters who live there.
Not that all people who live there are nutters, but Shippensburg's backwoods and hollers have more than their fair share.
Hal

Norristown, PA

#39 Aug 16, 2009
perhaps they should have sat down and had a beer with Obama
nightshade

Downingtown, PA

#40 Aug 16, 2009
L D Crittenden wrote:
Isn't Lindsay Lot RD in Shippensburg?
nightshade

Downingtown, PA

#41 Aug 16, 2009
I Feel Your Pain wrote:
Oh, and the jerks that harassed my family and tried to intrude upon our home were white. In fact, of all the crimes I've ever had perpetrated upon my self or my property were committed by whites.
I had neighbor issues (over parking on a public street, no less) with awoman we nicknmaed Cujo...she had this tendency to come screaming at you from out of nowhere ....attacking for seemingly no reason like a rabid dog (sorry dog lovers) I'm white, she's white...neighbour issues happen regardless of race. All it takes is for one party to be bullheaded and it's even worse if they're dumber than a box of rocks.
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

#42 Aug 16, 2009
bystander wrote:
<quoted text>keep in mind he had the intent to shoot him when he went and got the gun...you dont go and get a gun without the intent to use it...when he went inside and claimed he was checkin on his kids...he knew then what he was doing
My intention when I grabbed my gun was to convince the trespassers to go away. They didn't go away immediately, but they did stop trying to enter my home, so I didn't have to shoot them. They did however attempt to assault my husband, on MY land, and I still didn't shoot them because he dumped them neatly on their buttocks, STILL on my property. What person with even a modicum of common sense still tries to stir up feces on someone else's property with guns pointed at them? That's the scary part. No respect for anyone or anything. That is the kind of person who is dangerous.
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

#43 Aug 16, 2009
Wondering wrote:
Why would a nurse and someone who had a job at Nitterhouse be on welfare? I know Nitterhouse doesn't pay much but I'd think nursing would pay well?
Actually, for this area, Nitterhouse pays respectably well. The employees there are hard workers who deserve respect for their effort.
I Feel Your Pain

Shippensburg, PA

#44 Aug 16, 2009
nightshade wrote:
<quoted text>I had neighbor issues (over parking on a public street, no less) with awoman we nicknmaed Cujo...she had this tendency to come screaming at you from out of nowhere ....attacking for seemingly no reason like a rabid dog (sorry dog lovers) I'm white, she's white...neighbour issues happen regardless of race. All it takes is for one party to be bullheaded and it's even worse if they're dumber than a box of rocks.
Well said. And as a dog lover, I can forgive the reference. LOL
Jim Bob

Carlisle, PA

#45 Aug 16, 2009
wHo"s to say Mr Buttermore didn't turn quickly to smash another window or door in when the shot was fired. Second he was on Kirbys property atempting to harm his children, Cause he already did harm to Mr Kirby. Mr. Buttermore showed no respect for other people and thier property. If he was taught right from wrong like most people this would never happend. In America we have rights to protect ourselfs and our property. I believe Mrs Buttermore's story is trying to play a blame game when the whole blame lands on her husband. I believe they will offer Mr Kirby a plea agreement of manslaughter and he walks in 6 to 12 months. Just wait and see in this economy they don't have the money for a full blown murder trial that will start with what has been going on for more than 4 years.
SoWhat

Philadelphia, PA

#46 Aug 16, 2009
bystander wrote:
<quoted text>hmmm...key word here is shot in the back...sorry
That will be determined by an autopsy report and a police investigation. If be lost his peace-making baseball, I would have assumed he intended to re-arm and return. Or possibly turning to draw a knife. You can not believe everything you read in a newspaper especially if it in the Public Opinion.
SoWhat

Philadelphia, PA

#47 Aug 16, 2009
Jim Bob wrote:
wHo"s to say Mr Buttermore didn't turn quickly to smash another window or door in when the shot was fired. Second he was on Kirbys property atempting to harm his children, Cause he already did harm to Mr Kirby. Mr. Buttermore showed no respect for other people and thier property. If he was taught right from wrong like most people this would never happend. In America we have rights to protect ourselfs and our property. I believe Mrs Buttermore's story is trying to play a blame game when the whole blame lands on her husband. I believe they will offer Mr Kirby a plea agreement of manslaughter and he walks in 6 to 12 months. Just wait and see in this economy they don't have the money for a full blown murder trial that will start with what has been going on for more than 4 years.
I'll buy that especially the length of the jail term. All Mr. K has to do is persuade a jury that he had adequate fear of injury or death to justify shooting. Any good criminal lawyer should be able to play the jury like a violin.

Expect a defense fund to be established for Mr. K.
mom of two

Chambersburg, PA

#48 Aug 16, 2009
bystander wrote:
<quoted text>ummm if you read the newspaper...kirby had some issues with alcohol...and harrasment. how about that for a man with a gun i hope his kids never see him a day in their life just like andy's kids
And who would that hurt in the long run? Not the adults. Sure Mr. Buttermore's children won't be able to see him again and that's a shame,(I pray they can one day recover and move on from this though it will be very hard) but when someone is alive and not allowed to see them, that's BS
sugarheart

Haddonfield, NJ

#49 Aug 16, 2009
This is all bs look kids wil kids i did not know eather family but the real pic here is 1 man is dead and now the other man is in jail both familys have lost a loved 1 just 1 is gone forever and the other well the family will still be able to c him.Alot of the comments that i have read was eather to be blamed on the kids of reacil factor but all over a skate board what is this world coming to and i think i read about no 1 ever wants to get to know the ppl who live aound u well wonder why and for the wife forgiven him u have to forgive b4 u can move on so for me my heart goes out to both family's but more to the buttermore family may this be a lesson learned to some1 else b4 u acted b4 u think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court refuses to hear CASD appeal Aug 15 Backward Hicks 3
the four state slasher con! horror and rock n r... Mar '15 fourstateslashercon 1
News Cold Case: The murder of Freddie Brumfield & th... (Jun '12) Mar '15 Carmella 5
News CASD seeks to remove Dusman as assistant superi... (Dec '14) Dec '14 GenPatton 5
News Department of justice announces charges against... (May '14) Nov '14 amber 3
News Manitowoc layoff tallies to 315 (Jan '09) Jul '14 Abjewljebar 85
News Episodes of worst reality show ever (Jun '14) Jun '14 Really 1
More from around the web