PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: More awarene...

PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: More awareness of motorcycles

There are 27 comments on the Public Opinion story from May 16, 2011, titled PO LETTER TO THE EDITOR: More awareness of motorcycles. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Members of A.B.A.T.E. would like to thank the Franklin County commissioners for recognizing May as motorcycle safety month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Local

Chambersburg, PA

#1 May 17, 2011
They buy black bikes, dress in black and go out and drive on mostly black highways. They can't figure out why folks can't see them?! I realize it won't fit your image, but if you really want to be seen how about some flourescent green clothing?
Old Alumnus

Conshohocken, PA

#2 May 17, 2011
Local wrote:
They buy black bikes, dress in black and go out and drive on mostly black highways. They can't figure out why folks can't see them?! I realize it won't fit your image, but if you really want to be seen how about some flourescent green clothing?
AND...if you want to be accepted by the general population, don't dress like thugs trying to scare old ladies and children, put a muffler on your toy so you don't disturbe the whole neighborhood as you ride by, and donate the money you've wasted on a $20,000 toy, it's insurance, and the wasted gas to a charity. The pittance that is donated by your noisy, thuggy events is just an excuse to ride to the next bar or restaurant. Donate real money and ride a bicycle to your next event. Most of you sorely need the exercise anyway.
taxpayer

Landisburg, PA

#3 May 17, 2011
Old Alumnus wrote:
<quoted text> AND...if you want to be accepted by the general population, don't dress like thugs trying to scare old ladies and children, put a muffler on your toy so you don't disturbe the whole neighborhood as you ride by, and donate the money you'thuve wasted on a $20,000 toy, it's insurance, and the wasted gas to a charity. The pittance that is donated by your noisy, thuggy events is just an excuse to ride to the next bar or restaurant. Donate real money and ride a bicycle to your next event. Most of you sorely need the exercise anyway.
Get a life ! Can't you can not afford to RIDE !!!!
Old Alumnus

Conshohocken, PA

#4 May 17, 2011
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> Get a life ! Can't you can not afford to RIDE !!!!
Fall on your head once too often, Buddy?
Embedded Citizen

Hagerstown, MD

#5 May 17, 2011
Aware of motorcycles? Really?
I believe everybody is aware of motorcycles when one comes flying past you in excess of 100mph out on I81 or on Rt 11 between Chambersburg and Shippensburg.
And also aware of them while they are sitting at an intersection winding up the engine with the obnoxiously loud tail pipes.
Aware of motorcycles, you betcha.
Sure, there are some really good riders out there, but for every one good rider, there are dozen lunk heads, also referred to as "organ donors".
bogey

Waynesboro, PA

#6 May 17, 2011
I applaud your efforts on behalf of others. NOW one question, do you record that awful noise, then play nit at night to help you sleep
Howie

Chambersburg, PA

#7 May 17, 2011
The comments responding to Mr. Engle's letter are typical of those who are completely ignorant of the issue, but enjoy spouting off anonomously and also are ever so ready to condem the majority for the actions of the minority. I would put just about any motorcycle rider against any car driver behind the wheel on a skills course to see who is the better and safer driver. I ride responsibly and respectfully every time I get on my bike. I also know that when I ride, my biggest fear and apprehension is not other bikers or my own abilities, but the typical car and truck driver who
is busy eating, drinking, talking on the phone, adjusting their radio, fiddling with their I-pod, petting the dog riding on their lap, reading, checking their GPS, puting on their make-up, shaving and performing the myriad of other activities that prevent them from focusing on what they should be doing-driving. Seriously people, why can't you appreciate the intent of Mr. Engle's letter and the positive aspects of what biker's do? Riding a motorcycle in a charity event is no different than a "Walk for Life" type event or a charity golf tournament. All are helping others in a way that they each enjoy. Ride safe everyone.
Long Rider

Carlisle, PA

#8 May 17, 2011
Evidently the first 6 comments have no problem with the "tuners" and their cars that are louder and driven faster than most bikes. They also must not have a problem with some one behind you making your car vibrate because of the loud music. These are probably the type of people that drive thru a parking lot like they are still on the highway. Or they wait to the last minute to change lanes where they want to turn, cut you off and hit the brakes, no turn signal or anything. Every one bears responsibility for highway safety.

Before you start ragging on me, my bike is BLUE, and yes it has mufflers.I've been riding since 1969, I taught motorcycle safety courses for 8 years in the military.
Yes, I have black leathers, if I don't wear them I wear a red windbreaker, I ride with all three headlights on. People still act like they can't see me.
pete

Newville, PA

#9 May 17, 2011
hmmm. interesting. i live on a rural corner and on a nice saturday afternoon i might like to enjoy a nap. well no the bikers are not having one bit of that!! these overgrown children must make my entire household aware of their window rattling presence. all weekend long we endure them with their hard accelerations and ridiculous unbridled mufflers.
get over yourselves and take it down ten notches!

btw i am a road cyclist so don't preach to me about no respect on the tiny sliver of the shoulder of the road I am trying to oocupy...
Local

Chambersburg, PA

#10 May 17, 2011
Long Rider wrote:
Evidently the first 6 comments have no problem with the "tuners" and their cars that are louder and driven faster than most bikes. They also must not have a problem with some one behind you making your car vibrate because of the loud music. These are probably the type of people that drive thru a parking lot like they are still on the highway. Or they wait to the last minute to change lanes where they want to turn, cut you off and hit the brakes, no turn signal or anything. Every one bears responsibility for highway safety.
Before you start ragging on me, my bike is BLUE, and yes it has mufflers.I've been riding since 1969, I taught motorcycle safety courses for 8 years in the military.
Yes, I have black leathers, if I don't wear them I wear a red windbreaker, I ride with all three headlights on. People still act like they can't see me.
I am telling you that you are truly hard to see! Conventional motorists are not trying to cause you problems. It is just natural for car / truck drivers to be watching out for what they are encountering on a regular basis...other trucks and other cars. Since encountering a motorcycle is an infrequent event for most motorist, you folks need to do all you can to define your presence. Blue helps little. The headlights do little in the bright sun. At night the lights come across as just another vehicle. Get some of the flourescent green jackets that bicycle riders wear and wear it 100% of the time. I realize the protective benefits of leather. Putting some lightweight reflective green on over the jacket is no big deal. Get a flourescent green helmet. I have seen an occasional motorcycle driver with the green on and they really are much more visible. Highway construction crews, firemen, policemen, etc. have this figured out. If you truly want to be seen, do what you need to do. Or is biking really about dressing the part like the Hell's Angels and then wondering why nobody can see you? Get truly visible. Stay alive to ride again.
Ryder

Carlisle, PA

#11 May 17, 2011
Howie wrote:
The comments responding to Mr. Engle's letter are typical of those who are completely ignorant of the issue, but enjoy spouting off anonomously and also are ever so ready to condem the majority for the actions of the minority. I would put just about any motorcycle rider against any car driver behind the wheel on a skills course to see who is the better and safer driver. I ride responsibly and respectfully every time I get on my bike. I also know that when I ride, my biggest fear and apprehension is not other bikers or my own abilities, but the typical car and truck driver who
is busy eating, drinking, talking on the phone, adjusting their radio, fiddling with their I-pod, petting the dog riding on their lap, reading, checking their GPS, puting on their make-up, shaving and performing the myriad of other activities that prevent them from focusing on what they should be doing-driving. Seriously people, why can't you appreciate the intent of Mr. Engle's letter and the positive aspects of what biker's do? Riding a motorcycle in a charity event is no different than a "Walk for Life" type event or a charity golf tournament. All are helping others in a way that they each enjoy. Ride safe everyone.
Well said Howie!
Long Rider

Carlisle, PA

#12 May 17, 2011
Old Alumnus wrote:
<quoted text> AND...if you want to be accepted by the general population, don't dress like thugs trying to scare old ladies and children, put a muffler on your toy so you don't disturbe the whole neighborhood as you ride by, and donate the money you've wasted on a $20,000 toy, it's insurance, and the wasted gas to a charity. The pittance that is donated by your noisy, thuggy events is just an excuse to ride to the next bar or restaurant. Donate real money and ride a bicycle to your next event. Most of you sorely need the exercise anyway.
You going to donate your beemer ? By the way, the God Bless America ride donates 50K to 60K a year to the VA hospital in Martinsburg. How do you thank a vet ?
MercersburgDad

Shippensburg, PA

#13 May 17, 2011
I have been driving about 900 miles a week, for the past 22 years. On rural roads, but mostly highway. I have never been involved in an accident because I stay aware of my surroundings & believe that I am curteous. There are some crazy, bad automobile/truck drivers on the road & there are @ least an equal amount of crazy, inconsiderate bikers. Flying down the center lane, between heavy traffic, flying low,weaving in & out of traffic, expecting everyone else to be aware & brake for their suicidal *sses. I live in a rural area with a two lane road in the front of my home. I cannot tell you how many times in the past 8 years that I have seen bikers flying in excess of 100 mph, standing on their seats, crazy stuff that not only endangers them, but anyone that may be unlucky enough to be within a 100 yards or so of them when they dump. There is a difference between the bigger, Harley type riders & the crotch rocket ones. I know that one day there is going to be a horrible accident on my road & I sincerely hope that it only involves the nut case that's on the bike. I have a mop & squeegy @ the ready, that's all that will be needed. If other bikers want to truly improve bike safety, they need to police their own, get off their high-horse about some perceived biker brotherhood, more signs & bike rides aren't going to improve the situation.
MercersburgDad

Shippensburg, PA

#14 May 17, 2011
Long Rider wrote:
I don't think or @ least have never had issues with riders like yourself, it's 100% the crotch-rocket ones that I have witnessed acting like lunatics. Superman typ vision & ractions would be of no use with these idiots.
Harley Rider

Chambersburg, PA

#15 May 17, 2011
It sounds like the bikers do more for the needs of the comunity than most churches do. Ride on
Old Alumnus

Conshohocken, PA

#16 May 18, 2011
Long Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
You going to donate your beemer ? By the way, the God Bless America ride donates 50K to 60K a year to the VA hospital in Martinsburg. How do you thank a vet ?
Well, since you asked...I drive a Chevy. And the thousands of bikers who donate so generously to the VA spend double that amount in gas, insurance, etc. Stay home and donate THAT money. The VA would have twice as much, no gas would be wasted, and you won't clog up the roads with your noisy toys. AND...I thank a vet by shaving the one in the mirror every morning. How about you, Cupcake?
Anon

Mercersburg, PA

#17 May 18, 2011
Why are the comments often so negative? The bikers raise money that otherwise might not have been raised. It is a good thing. And sure, all of us could give up something we enjoy to raise even more money, but that is not how it works.
bogey

Waynesboro, PA

#18 May 18, 2011
Cant you raise money for charity withoit making bso much noise
anon

Chambersburg, PA

#19 May 18, 2011
I have to agree that noise is a problem and I wish some law would be passed to require muflers on motorcycles. Otherwise, my only complaint is when trying to pass a group of motorcycles on an interstate, the lead guy will cut you off and slow you down so the rest can go around a pass a car. Guess they do this to stick together. By the time you finally get a chance to pass the group, traffic is backed up a couple miles.
CLASSOF2012

Easton, MD

#20 May 18, 2011
If everybody is complaining about how noisy they are, wouldn't you be able to know that there is a motorcycle somewhere in your immediate presence? Find something else to complain about...(Insert curse word here.)God Bless our fellow motorcycle drivers, I have never had a problem with one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 men charged with illegal re-entry Jun '17 spytheweb 1
News A fee for state police: Fair or double taxation? Feb '17 grab your wallet 2
Vincent e martz egor (Jan '17) Jan '17 martz friends 1
Vincent e martz-egor (Mar '16) Jun '16 martz friends 2
News Local educator turns up in diploma-mill case | ... (Jun '10) Mar '16 TruthSquad 8
News Franklin County row officers suggest budget cuts (Mar '09) Feb '16 Ace1234 26
News Supreme Court refuses to hear CASD appeal (Jul '15) Aug '15 Backward Hicks 3
More from around the web