Ohio outlaws texting while driving

Jun 2, 2012 Full story: The Columbus Dispatch 40

Sen. Rob Portman, who is regarded as potential vice presidential mate for Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, met privately today in Tel Aviv with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak where they discussed Iran's efforts to build a nuclear bomb and the growing violence in Syria.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hey now

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 2, 2012
Meanwhile, the teachers unions have lobbied successfully for an exemption to the law that allows sexting while teaching. "Given that students are a raging bundle of hormones to begin with, this exemption allows us sexual predation upon the students so that our inability to educate is hidden by the low resolution pictures of our glistening though deviant genitalia," said Dandi Carpetmuncher, teachers union executive CEO and procurer.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 2, 2012
Another law that has no repercussion.
Anyway, They have app's for the idiots that want to text and drive now.
And another thing..If the person is stupid enough to text and drive all the time, i can only imagine the other dumb decisions they make. Another law cops could care less about.
Why don't they crack down on No Insurance, No License, Illegal international driver I.D.'s.. If they're after money and to save even more lives, Do something with that too. The struggles in fighting low-life law suits. In where, the legal driver still gets Fu**ed in the end. They just want the fast cash payment tickets with no court hearing, not to much paper work and a reason to satisfy the few who had texting while driving devistate their family.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 2, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be a cash grab. The cops will make up any excuse to pull people over just like the seat belt crap.
If people are too unskilled to text and drive then how do the anti texters explain how planes land on moving ships all over the planet.
It's been on here a few times, and i agree. It is an excuse that will only benifit when the driver has more than just this charge on them. I wish they would stop pussy-footin the issue though. For s**t sakes, You're let go for having no license, no insurance and a piece of s**t car. Hell you don't even have to be a legal citizen to walk scott free from a pull over. When it all adds up, a legal driver has to pay for these minor misdemeanors because of the neglect of another low-life.
A family member got hit by one of these kind of drivers. She had a already paid off car, BUT, NOW..Another new $350 monthly car payment, her insurance didn't go up, although, uninsured motorist coverage picked up the tab for this illegal immigrant who never even showed up in court. Just the new monthly car payment made her come out behind...IMO
It's like a "Who are they foolin law" (BS)
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#7 Jun 2, 2012
I'm all off the subject i know.., but it's a shame.
Return fire on people texting while driving for all i care.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 3, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>

If people are too unskilled to text and drive then how do the anti texters explain how planes land on moving ships all over the planet.
The landing of a plane on a ship really does perplex you Spook :)
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#10 Jun 3, 2012
This is nothing. At the beginning of this year, DumBama and his minions made a law against truck drivers using their cell phone or Nextel while driving. If caught, it's a $2,700 fine for the first offense for the driver. If the driver is caught talking to dispatch, it's an $11,000 fine for the company for the first offense. And of course, after so many offenses, they can take the driver off the road and even close the company down.

Texting and driving is the most dangerous thing a person can do in a car. I would rather be by a drunk driver than a person texting. I can't tell you how many times somebody slammed their brakes on in front of me or almost slid underneath my trailer on the highway because they were texting and not paying attention. In my opinion, police should have instant access to your phone account to see what you were doing at the time of an accident. If you were texting, the accident is automatically your fault.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 3, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
This is nothing. At the beginning of this year, DumBama and his minions made a law against truck drivers using their cell phone or Nextel while driving. If caught, it's a $2,700 fine for the first offense for the driver. If the driver is caught talking to dispatch, it's an $11,000 fine for the company for the first offense. And of course, after so many offenses, they can take the driver off the road and even close the company down.
Texting and driving is the most dangerous thing a person can do in a car. I would rather be by a drunk driver than a person texting. I can't tell you how many times somebody slammed their brakes on in front of me or almost slid underneath my trailer on the highway because they were texting and not paying attention. In my opinion, police should have instant access to your phone account to see what you were doing at the time of an accident. If you were texting, the accident is automatically your fault.
So "DumBama" and his minions pass a law against truckers texting, which you are apparently against, but pro a ban for car drivers and would rather be on the road with a drunk driver. What are you smoking?
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#14 Jun 3, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how was that prior to texting people still stopped short or ran into tje back of trucks? Were time travelers or.something because you and many others claim texting is the cause of all crashes.
I said that texting is the causes of all crashes? I must be missing something. I don't see that in any of my posts.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#17 Jun 3, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it is a silly law, but you have to remember the mindset of the people you are dealing with. Very few people out there are independent thinkers or have the ability to be, they do what they're told and their livelihood depends on what some employee manual says. So from that standpoint, if you create a new law that sends a message to these people that there is something else that was added to the employee manual they'd better not do.
I was against the seat belt law, but what can I say? I works. More people wear seat belts than they used to when I first started driving.
I'm against seat belt laws because I don't believe it's the government place to tell us how we should protect ourselves. That's our business. But texting bans are different because it protects other motorists. Anytime you take your eyes off the road for a period of time, you endanger yourself and other people. Now if somebody is texting and they hit a pole and kill themselves, I'm fine with that. But when you sideswipe my car, and then try to tell a cop it was my fault even though you caused the accident because you were texting, that becomes my problem.

Besides accidents that cause all our insurance rates to go up, there are deaths related to texting. According to researchers from the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Ft. Worth, texting behind the wheel accounted for 16,141 deaths between 2002 and 2007. Doing the math, that's 3,223 deaths per year on average.

Vehicle accidents and death are just part of driving. But careless deaths such as those caused by texting are avoidable. But "Oh, I won't get into an accident while texting." Well, that's the same thing a person drinking says before he or she gets behind the wheel of a car, and then smashes into a police car on the highway.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#19 Jun 3, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>
Again of it were really dangerous cops would not be exempt. Other cops may give them a wink and a knod on drinking but the law doesn't exempt them like the seatbelt and texting laws, thus they are nothing more than random tolls.
In all I read, I never came across anything that said police officers are exempt. Yes, they do give each other breaks when possible, but that's kind of the norm of the job. I can't tell you how many Cleveland cops I see driving the highway not using turn signals when they switch lanes.

But like seat belt laws, this is a secondary offense unless you are in a city that has it as a primary offense. In other words, chances are, nothing is going to happen to you if you are seen driving and texting. It's kind of like our fireworks laws in Ohio. You can buy them, but you have to sign a waiver that says you will not shoot them off in Ohio--wink,wink.
The Author

Grove City, OH

#20 Jun 3, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be a cash grab. The cops will make up any excuse to pull people over just like the seat belt crap.
Not taking a position on this law, but different people have different abilities. That's like asking why everybody in my classes didn't get all A's, I did, so everybody should. However, I couldn't land a plane on a carrier without a LOT of practice, and even then I'm sure I would crack up. It's called elitism, and it does exist, and it should exist.

Some people should not be driving, period! Some plainly cannot text and drive. Some can. And the way our society works, rather than test everybody on their texting and driving abilities, they ban it for everybody. Not the first time, probably not the last.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21 Jun 3, 2012
The Author wrote:
<quoted text>
Not taking a position on this law, but different people have different abilities. That's like asking why everybody in my classes didn't get all A's, I did, so everybody should. However, I couldn't land a plane on a carrier without a LOT of practice, and even then I'm sure I would crack up. It's called elitism, and it does exist, and it should exist.
Some people should not be driving, period! Some plainly cannot text and drive. Some can. And the way our society works, rather than test everybody on their texting and driving abilities, they ban it for everybody. Not the first time, probably not the last.
As a professional driver for more than 30 years with an outstanding driving record, I can testify that texting while driving is an extremely dangerous thing to do for anybody. I don't care how good you think you are at it, you can't debate a person of my experience and skills.

Mind you, I am a totally anti-government person. I'm very conservative, and live by the creed that the larger the government--the smaller the citizen. But that doesn't mean I believe in a lawless country. We have laws because people need protection from idiots. And laws should reflect the general majority of the concerned.

It seems to me (by what I've read) that the majority believes there should be regulations on motorists who are using such devices. I am one of them. I am in the majority who believes that it is governments job to carry out our wishes because we feel our safety is in jeopardy.

Being an older person, I cannot understand the fascination of texting. A text conversation that takes an hour can easily be accomplished in a ten minute cell phone conversation. Why not communicate that way? It's safer, takes much less time, and gets the same job done.

Texting is recreational--not a necessity. And for the life of me, I can't see risking the lives of others for the entertainment value of texting. Yeah, I guess it's fun for younger people, but don't make my commute more dangerous for your fun. I don't think that's asking too much of people.
The Author

Grove City, OH

#23 Jun 3, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
As a professional driver for more than 30 years with an outstanding driving record, I can testify that texting while driving is an extremely dangerous thing to do for anybody. I don't care how good you think you are at it, you can't debate a person of my experience and skills.
Mind you, I am a totally anti-government person. I'm very conservative, and live by the creed that the larger the government--the smaller the citizen. But that doesn't mean I believe in a lawless country. We have laws because people need protection from idiots. And laws should reflect the general majority of the concerned.
It seems to me (by what I've read) that the majority believes there should be regulations on motorists who are using such devices. I am one of them. I am in the majority who believes that it is governments job to carry out our wishes because we feel our safety is in jeopardy.
Being an older person, I cannot understand the fascination of texting. A text conversation that takes an hour can easily be accomplished in a ten minute cell phone conversation. Why not communicate that way? It's safer, takes much less time, and gets the same job done.
Texting is recreational--not a necessity. And for the life of me, I can't see risking the lives of others for the entertainment value of texting. Yeah, I guess it's fun for younger people, but don't make my commute more dangerous for your fun. I don't think that's asking too much of people.
For the record, I think most people suck at texting and driving. The few times I've tried it, I came to the conclusion that it is unsafe for me to do, so I don't do it anymore.

Some people can text without looking at their phone, I've seen 'em do it, all young people, but that doesn't mean they are good drivers to start with.

Texting is more convenient for a number of reasons. And it forces you to be brief (160 characters per text) whereas people can get yakky when talking on the phone.

I don't drive professionally, but I have driven for over 40 years, and somewhat over 800,000 miles, in all 50 states and all kinds of terrain. Haven't had an at-fault accident in over 35 years, nor a ticket in 31 years.

My post was to show Spook how some people might be able to text and drive, but not everybody has the ability to do it, in my opinion the vast majority cannot do it well at all.
imagine2011

United States

#24 Jun 3, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
Texting and driving is very dangerous.
http://www.savevid.com/video/text-drive-and-d...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/pelicancup/graphic-ph...
imagine2011

United States

#25 Jun 3, 2012
&fe ature=player_embedded
Shanikwah

Cincinnati, OH

#26 Jun 3, 2012
How about enforcing the laws already on the books? Distracted driving is against the law. If you are not in control of your car you are breaking the law? Texting, phone conversation.
How about the speeding laws? Nothing happens for long periods and the sergent sits the troopers down and tells them to write some tickets. Viola.
Not too sexy I guess, politicians couldn't take credit for stopping the idiocy.
I can tell you what the next crusade will be. Buckleing up your dog/pet. Yup, get a canine seat or "approved" restraint and keep fido's nose in the window, and his tongue in his mouth. We're beyond stupid.
kennyken

Boynton Beach, FL

#27 Jun 4, 2012
probably safer for all drivers.............
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#29 Jun 4, 2012
Spookneverdies wrote:
<quoted text>
An address.can be texted and then open in maps with much less eye off the road time then with a voice conservation. By the way before gps and maps on laptops phones and tablets did you memorize a map or directions or did you glance down at a map or written directions.
Most places I go, I am familiar with. If I'm at a city or town I'm unfamiliar with, Yes, I memorize my own directions. I look up everything before I go, and if possible, call the company for further information such as truck restrictions or detours that I can't see on a map.

There have been a few times I had to go back to my map, but I have it on the floor right beside me with the proper page open, and I wait for a stoplight or a place to pull over to look at it.

Using averages, they say texters use up to five seconds to type in or read their message. When you're traveling down the highway or down a side street where a small child can dash out from behind a parked car, five seconds is a hell of a lot of time.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#30 Jun 4, 2012
The Author wrote:
<quoted text>
For the record, I think most people suck at texting and driving. The few times I've tried it, I came to the conclusion that it is unsafe for me to do, so I don't do it anymore.
Some people can text without looking at their phone, I've seen 'em do it, all young people, but that doesn't mean they are good drivers to start with.
Texting is more convenient for a number of reasons. And it forces you to be brief (160 characters per text) whereas people can get yakky when talking on the phone.
I don't drive professionally, but I have driven for over 40 years, and somewhat over 800,000 miles, in all 50 states and all kinds of terrain. Haven't had an at-fault accident in over 35 years, nor a ticket in 31 years.
My post was to show Spook how some people might be able to text and drive, but not everybody has the ability to do it, in my opinion the vast majority cannot do it well at all.
It is annoying. Just today, I was waiting at a stop light. The light turned green, and the clown two cars in front of me was just looking down. I blew the air horn, and that got him going. When it went from two lanes to four, I ended up on the right of him at another stop light, and guess what he was doing?

On average, I would have to say I run into guys like that about three or four times a day. That's just too much. I actually had a guy almost slide under my trailer in a construction zone. These geniuses who make these temporary lanes do so giving a truck about two inches of room on each side of the lines. I heard a car horn blow, and it was the car behind the guy next to me who was heading underneath my trailer. And if I would have killed him, who do you think they would have tried to blame if no witnesses stopped?

And this is why I made the earlier comment that any accident that is questionable, law enforcement should have instant access to your cell phone account to see what you were doing on your phone at the time of the accident.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#31 Jun 4, 2012
Shanikwah wrote:
How about enforcing the laws already on the books? Distracted driving is against the law. If you are not in control of your car you are breaking the law? Texting, phone conversation.
How about the speeding laws? Nothing happens for long periods and the sergent sits the troopers down and tells them to write some tickets. Viola.
Not too sexy I guess, politicians couldn't take credit for stopping the idiocy.
I can tell you what the next crusade will be. Buckleing up your dog/pet. Yup, get a canine seat or "approved" restraint and keep fido's nose in the window, and his tongue in his mouth. We're beyond stupid.
Try to see a cop come to court and prove distracted driving. There is no legal definition of that. There really is no proof either. Texting is different because the law can always subpoena cell phone records to make their case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff to run for mayor of Columbus next year 1 hr Former Columbusite 6
Columbus earmarks $1 million to fight smelly water Nov 23 Duke for Mayor 8
Columbus police officers cleared in fatal shoot... Nov 21 hey now 2
Sheriff Zach Scott Texting and Driving (Jun '12) Nov 19 duh 106
Ex-Columbus schools official attempts to clarif... Nov 11 They cannot kill ... 1
City's veterinarian fields animal complaints gr... Nov 5 They cannot kill ... 1
New Albany schools reach out in push for levy Nov 4 CBC 1

Franklin County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE