Inmates need help making transition i...

Inmates need help making transition into community

There are 60 comments on the Press-Republican story from Dec 6, 2010, titled Inmates need help making transition into community. In it, Press-Republican reports that:

Editor's note: This is the second of two articles about Franklin County felons. Discussion PLEASE NOTE: There is a 150 word maximum for comments.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press-Republican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NY Stater

Saranac Lake, NY

#44 Dec 9, 2010
trailertrash wrote:
<quoted text>
well you obviously dont work in the Dept of Corrections because education including and up to the GED test is mandatory and free college education was reintroduced in 2009. the local prisons have teachers from NCCC in at night to teach free courses!
I never said there were no classes. I said there are no FREE classes. And just how would you know all of this?
NY Stater

Saranac Lake, NY

#45 Dec 9, 2010
trail mix wrote:
<quoted text>Whoever this person is, they have no idea of what their speaking about;
.1)What a joke..the prisoners are not released here??Please speak to anyone who works at the Franklin County Dept. of social services for an update to that one.There are dozens of past inmates that came through the prison system, did their time in Malone, and started a life here.
.2)There is one bus per week that, that comes up here from NY city that allows folks to ride at no charge, for the purpose of visiting. Please ask any state employed correction officer, and not this "wannabe" NY STATER. The only thing he probably is, judging from his ignorant commentary is A NYS welfare bum...lol
You are TOTALLY off your rocker. The families HAVE to pay. Just where are you getting your info? From here? Or someone who KNOWS ALL. The families pay - PERIOD. 3 buses a week leave Upstate Correctional, shipping inmates to different prisons. They HAVE to be released at their last legal address. Ask any parole officer. If they're being released here, then this is their last address.
I AM employed by the department and I'm NOT an officer. I'm a civilian that deals with this everyday. You morons out there think you have all the answers because "somebody" told you this or that. You couldn't be more ill informed. The officers at these facilities have NO IDEA how these things are handled and never have.
You can believe what you want. You're an idiot moron who likes to trash people who are way smarter than you. You probably work in some lame job somewhere because you quit high school and are too stupid to get an education. Probably construction I would guess. Many of you losers go that direction. Maybe you're an Assistant Manager at one of the many convenient stores in Malone. Or a stock clerk in a hardware store or something. Go back to Sevens and get your facts straight you ignorant fool.
I'm not going to respond any more to your nearsighted narrow mindedness. You obviously are one of those people who thought a state job should have been handed to you.
And you're the kind of person that makes Malone great???? The picture becomes clearer every time I read something on here by idiots like you.

Since: Sep 08

Woodbridge, VA

#46 Dec 9, 2010
Hay NY stater,
Try this, if you think you know something, please post it.

It make fo some good talk . OK?

xd
viewpoint

Boonville, NY

#47 Dec 9, 2010
It's unfortunate you have chose to besmirch the NYS correction officers by claiming to work for the Dept. They are proud men and women who do an excellent job.
It's also unfortunate that you choose to belittle the hard working folks who are employed in construction, retail, etc.. You were furious with me, so you take it out on these people.
I knew you were a touchhole right from the start. It took many generations of inbreeding to get a by-product like you.
For what its worth

Saranac Lake, NY

#48 Dec 9, 2010
The only talk most of you all need is SOMEONE to talk about or to pick on. Give the guy a break. It actually sounds like he might know what he's talking about - which is more than I can say for most of the rest of you.
viewpoint

Boonville, NY

#49 Dec 9, 2010
As if you are an authority. I've read some of your posts and I thought perhaps they were being written by someone who took a long fall and suffered severe traumatic head injuries. Actually, you and NY "stater" may be the same person. It would be hard to believe that we could have two individuals in the community that are obviously so affected by the scourge of incest.
trying

Boonville, NY

#50 Dec 9, 2010
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said there were no classes. I said there are no FREE classes. And just how would you know all of this?
I can confirm, as one of the instructors for classes offered in local prisons, classes are offered, not complete degree programs, and NCCC offers these classes without charge. yes there are college classes offered in many prisons, but all are paid for by outside sources, or volunteer instructors/teachers donate time.
trailertrash

Albany, NY

#51 Dec 10, 2010
well thank you (trying). Im not sure whats difficult about the word FREE, I said FREEand I meant FREE, and thats the college program in the state prisons. No cost to the inmate and no cost to their family, just a cost out of our federal taxes! People should be more aware as NYS has eliminated all scholarships for our children but prisoners are getting FREE medical care, FREE food, FREE cable, FREE netflix, and FREE college! Oh yeah, plus we pay them everyday as well...
Right

La Fayette, NY

#52 Dec 10, 2010
Sick of stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what area of corrections you work in but I was at the county jail for years and inmates did not have to pay for any type of education and many of them received GED diplomas. They have more rights than they should ever have while incarcerated. So I know your wrong.
Since we're paying to incarcerate them anyway there might as well be some attempt at rehabilitation. The fact of their present circumstances is proof that whatever skill set they had going in was, generally, not appropriate for community living. As long as you aren't going to kill them you might as well release them with some sort of marketable skill, that in some way might let some of them put the past behind them and earn a legitimate living. I sure do hope that those of you who are posting all the negativity in here are not corrections officers. If so: brother, do you ever need other work.

Whoever is running these prisons here needs to take a very good look at the negative, destructive attitudes of some of their employees. You don't put out many fires with gasoline, do you?
Right

La Fayette, NY

#53 Dec 10, 2010
trailertrash wrote:
well thank you (trying). Im not sure whats difficult about the word FREE, I said FREEand I meant FREE, and thats the college program in the state prisons. No cost to the inmate and no cost to their family, just a cost out of our federal taxes! People should be more aware as NYS has eliminated all scholarships for our children but prisoners are getting FREE medical care, FREE food, FREE cable, FREE netflix, and FREE college! Oh yeah, plus we pay them everyday as well...
Are you freaking kidding? How pathetic ARE you? It doesn't matter... with your attitude your kids will be in prison soon enough, enjoying all those fabulous benefits, and then some...
trailertrash

United States

#54 Dec 10, 2010
Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you freaking kidding? How pathetic ARE you? It doesn't matter... with your attitude your kids will be in prison soon enough, enjoying all those fabulous benefits, and then some...
Kidding, what part do you not understand???
palbingo

Boonville, NY

#55 Dec 10, 2010
Trailertrash> Trying was not confirming there was free scholarships, he said the opposite. Some classes are offered for free but not with taxpayer $ but with donations and volunteers like him (or Her) from local colleges. A class is not a scholarship or a degree program, your bent all out of shape for nothing. You don't know your facts, you make assumptions based on what you see. Look up state statutes, on official sites and you'll see college education s not part of jail or prison mandates. A ged instruction is part of the jails program, big woop. It's a small help in getting criminals out of the bad cycle they are in. Yo9ur assumptions show your ignorance and refusal to look for real facts. Stop listening to those who know nothing and look it up on legitimate state law sites. Duh.
insert name here

Stafford, VA

#56 Dec 11, 2010
In the 4 years I have worked at my prison, I have never seen an inmate released to Malone or surrounding areas. The inmate liason committee pays for the cable and netflix, and for the directv for the visit process room. As far as education goes, would you rather have these people thrown back out on the streets with no more education and life skills than when they came in? I don't agree with some of the policies, but I'd rather be paying for these guys to be locked up not committing crimes, than out on the streets doing what they did to get them in prison. And by the way, just because you're a "file clerk" doesn't mean you don't know what goes on in the priison. Oh, and we don't have janitors....an inmate mops my office floor, not me or any other employee for that matter.
viewpoint

Boonville, NY

#57 Dec 11, 2010
insert name here wrote:
In the 4 years I have worked at my prison, I have never seen an inmate released to Malone or surrounding areas. The inmate liason committee pays for the cable and netflix, and for the directv for the visit process room. As far as education goes, would you rather have these people thrown back out on the streets with no more education and life skills than when they came in? I don't agree with some of the policies, but I'd rather be paying for these guys to be locked up not committing crimes, than out on the streets doing what they did to get them in prison. And by the way, just because you're a "file clerk" doesn't mean you don't know what goes on in the priison. Oh, and we don't have janitors....an inmate mops my office floor, not me or any other employee for that matter.
NY STATER perhaps if you mopped that floor yourself you would become more humbled and not think that you are better than other people. Why do you think you are able to judge others? What makes you so great? We are all going to end up in the crematory or 6 feet down in the cold ,damp earth so why don't you come on down from your high horse? Inmates, construction workers, retail workers, etc. are people also. You are not better than any of them (probably worse)
trailertrash

Albany, NY

#58 Dec 11, 2010
palbingo wrote:
Trailertrash> Trying was not confirming there was free scholarships, he said the opposite. Some classes are offered for free but not with taxpayer $ but with donations and volunteers like him (or Her) from local colleges. A class is not a scholarship or a degree program, your bent all out of shape for nothing. You don't know your facts, you make assumptions based on what you see. Look up state statutes, on official sites and you'll see college education s not part of jail or prison mandates. A ged instruction is part of the jails program, big woop. It's a small help in getting criminals out of the bad cycle they are in. Yo9ur assumptions show your ignorance and refusal to look for real facts. Stop listening to those who know nothing and look it up on legitimate state law sites. Duh.
I honestly dont know why you people are having such a diffuclt time? I KNOW, KNOW, KNOW without a doubt that the prisons offer FREE college courses, not GED, to the inmates paid by federal tax dollars. If you all choose to wallow in ignorance so be it. Try some googling yourself and you will find that what I am saying is factual. Its not from volunteers, its not scholarships or degree programs, its FREE Psych 101. Holy cow! I dont have to look for the facts I know the truth and see it every day. Our kids dont get scholarships but the federal government reinstated free college programs in 2009 and if a violent felon takes them, NYS is now letting them out earlier than their sentence (thats for the violent offenders). Look it up!
NY Stater

Tully, NY

#59 Dec 12, 2010
viewpoint wrote:
As if you are an authority. I've read some of your posts and I thought perhaps they were being written by someone who took a long fall and suffered severe traumatic head injuries. Actually, you and NY "stater" may be the same person. It would be hard to believe that we could have two individuals in the community that are obviously so affected by the scourge of incest.
We are NOT the same person you moron.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Obviously you got all your facts from hanging around in some bar somewhere. You're one of those that probably never finished high school, can't get a decent job due to your lack of education, and will retire with nothing more that SSI. And then you'll blame everybody but yourself for being short changed. It happens all the time in Malone. What happened to you? You applied for a state job and they turned you down due to lack of experience in anything? You were too stupid to even be hired as a driver? No GED because you figure life will take care of you? Maybe you still live with your Mom or something. Poor baby boy. I'll bet I've seen you flipping burgers at the local burger joints with the young kids who are actually trying to make something of their life. You on the other hand won't. You're narrow minded, self centered, a just plain stupid and ignorant. You probably have a shaved head, goatee, beer belly, tattoos all over, and smell like you haven't been near a bar of soap since you were ten and you mother gave you a bath. I suggest that you clean yourself up (at least change you underwear) grow hair, get your GED and remove those stupid tattoos and also lose some weight. Your fat belly is obviously doing all the thinking for you. How long has it been sine you're seen your penis to take a leak? Years?? Oh yeah, shave that stupid looking goatee off. They're dead now. The novelty of goatees is wearing off. Spend a little more time reading some worth reading besides f**k books. You might actually learn something. You're a typical neanderthal that hasn't got a clue.
For your convenience, I'll ignore you from here on. You're not the worth the time to respond to anymore.
viewpoints

Boonville, NY

#60 Dec 12, 2010
LOL...wait a sec......can't stop laughing. Could you please write another post like that? I have been laughing hard for about ten minutes.
This post of yours is accurate in the respect that it shows how mean, ignorant, immature, and ridiculous you really are. My only hope is that a person like you, with so much hate, is not responsible for the well being of any children or inmates. You truly are a foolish jackass lol!
i hate haters

Tully, NY

#61 Dec 19, 2010
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You're wrong. They don't get anything past an 8th grade education unless they pay for it. This includes a GED. Pataki did away with that as soon as he took office many years ago. This is fact my friend - contrary to what the public thinks, these guys are NOT treated to any special considerations unless they ONE) earn it, and TWO) pay for it.
I've been in corrections for 25 years and I can attest to this fact. You all can disagree but what I tell you is the truth.
lets ask the question then,do prisoners have the state of the art computer rooms,snack bars,health care,weight room,dental care,library.weight room,not to mention can still smoke in a public place.prisoners get more from the state then our elderly do.1,did they earn these bennefits?NO! THEY BROKE THE LAW.2 DO THEY PAY FOR IT.NO! NEW YORK STATE TAXE PAYERS DO.You NY,STATER may be a guard for 25 yrs but it sounds to me like your in bed with them..........
i hate haters

Tully, NY

#62 Dec 19, 2010
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
You are TOTALLY off your rocker. The families HAVE to pay. Just where are you getting your info? From here? Or someone who KNOWS ALL. The families pay - PERIOD. 3 buses a week leave Upstate Correctional, shipping inmates to different prisons. They HAVE to be released at their last legal address. Ask any parole officer. If they're being released here, then this is their last address.
I AM employed by the department and I'm NOT an officer. I'm a civilian that deals with this everyday. You morons out there think you have all the answers because "somebody" told you this or that. You couldn't be more ill informed. The officers at these facilities have NO IDEA how these things are handled and never have.
You can believe what you want. You're an idiot moron who likes to trash people who are way smarter than you. You probably work in some lame job somewhere because you quit high school and are too stupid to get an education. Probably construction I would guess. Many of you losers go that direction. Maybe you're an Assistant Manager at one of the many convenient stores in Malone. Or a stock clerk in a hardware store or something. Go back to Sevens and get your facts straight you ignorant fool.
I'm not going to respond any more to your nearsighted narrow mindedness. You obviously are one of those people who thought a state job should have been handed to you.
And you're the kind of person that makes Malone great???? The picture becomes clearer every time I read something on here by idiots like you.
who are you calling a loser,you took a job where you dont have to think,this is because you haver no other skills and you barly made it through high school.stop looking down your nose at other people areas of work,your the one who took a cop out job and the state knows your over paid,this is why the state is pushing a 2 yr college degree to be in corrections.you are an over paid baby sitter with out a college education,but this will soon change and you will have to man up for an education to keep your job.karma will have the last laugh state boy and you will have to earn your money.......
northof nowhere

United States

#63 Dec 19, 2010
When they get released I think they are sent back to whatever state they were frpm originally.
I really dont know I WAS NEVER INCARCERATED tnank god

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Franklin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Murder trial date affirmed for June (Apr '10) Feb '18 Nikki Z 3
News Franklin County solid waste authority submits p... Jan '18 nice 1
News New St. Lawrence County DA Gary Pasqua sworn in Jan '18 a big fan 1
News 3 men convicted of assaulting disabled teenager... (Jun '16) May '17 agree 3
What is this I hear about Michael Hart of Massena? (Nov '16) Nov '16 Just Curious 1
News In Rural New York, Windmills Can Bring Whiff of... (Aug '08) Nov '16 positronium 23
News Lawmakers want security intelligence center for... (Jul '11) Oct '16 Gogetum 12