Inmates need help making transition into community

Dec 6, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Press-Republican

Editor's note: This is the second of two articles about Franklin County felons. Discussion PLEASE NOTE: There is a 150 word maximum for comments.

Comments
1 - 20 of 60 Comments Last updated Dec 19, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
AMOM

Keeseville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Yes lets do this, so more people complain about taxes and taking care of jailbirds. I don't know how this is going to work out.
fred

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

yes more money to the cons. they already get college. give them more. maybe a home, a new car. screw the poor. dont help them get acclimated back into society. no, help the con. hey if we teach them how to return to society you think they might use their sharpened skills to future their drug enterprise. i for one an all for it. i just read the heading and that alone made me mad
NY Stater

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 6, 2010
 
fred wrote:
yes more money to the cons. they already get college. give them more. maybe a home, a new car. screw the poor. dont help them get acclimated back into society. no, help the con. hey if we teach them how to return to society you think they might use their sharpened skills to future their drug enterprise. i for one an all for it. i just read the heading and that alone made me mad
No. You're wrong. They don't get anything past an 8th grade education unless they pay for it. This includes a GED. Pataki did away with that as soon as he took office many years ago. This is fact my friend - contrary to what the public thinks, these guys are NOT treated to any special considerations unless they ONE) earn it, and TWO) pay for it.
I've been in corrections for 25 years and I can attest to this fact. You all can disagree but what I tell you is the truth.
trailertrash

Glenmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 6, 2010
 
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You're wrong. They don't get anything past an 8th grade education unless they pay for it. This includes a GED. Pataki did away with that as soon as he took office many years ago. This is fact my friend - contrary to what the public thinks, these guys are NOT treated to any special considerations unless they ONE) earn it, and TWO) pay for it.
I've been in corrections for 25 years and I can attest to this fact. You all can disagree but what I tell you is the truth.
well you obviously dont work in the Dept of Corrections because education including and up to the GED test is mandatory and free college education was reintroduced in 2009. the local prisons have teachers from NCCC in at night to teach free courses!
Sick of stupid

Saranac Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 6, 2010
 
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You're wrong. They don't get anything past an 8th grade education unless they pay for it. This includes a GED. Pataki did away with that as soon as he took office many years ago. This is fact my friend - contrary to what the public thinks, these guys are NOT treated to any special considerations unless they ONE) earn it, and TWO) pay for it.
I've been in corrections for 25 years and I can attest to this fact. You all can disagree but what I tell you is the truth.
I don't know what area of corrections you work in but I was at the county jail for years and inmates did not have to pay for any type of education and many of them received GED diplomas. They have more rights than they should ever have while incarcerated. So I know your wrong.
fred

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

trailertrash wrote:
<quoted text>
well you obviously dont work in the Dept of Corrections because education including and up to the GED test is mandatory and free college education was reintroduced in 2009. the local prisons have teachers from NCCC in at night to teach free courses!
thank you. i had an inmate lose a college book and the teacher just handed him a new one. the same one my daughter paid 150. dollars for. sad isnt it.
fred

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 6, 2010
 
ny stater you might want to check again.
fred

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 6, 2010
 
and again
fred

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 6, 2010
 
again.
balancepoint

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 6, 2010
 
I agree on many levels regarding criminals rights going way too far, but the fact here is we will all be safer, less prone to crime, if we can help these men have at least enough opportunity to get safely situated in the community they left. If We just dump them back into the neighborhoods, with no resources the only place to turn is back to what they used to know. The penalty has been paid, on release they should have the same resources any of us do, but they need to be set up before release so they are not homeless, hungry, and desperate when let out. That only results in desperate measures taken, making us more likely to be effected by crime, or by the high costs of law enforcement, judicial processses, and then incarceration. A little help as they get out will save us all much more in actual expences and we are not setting them up to fail. I'm not saying reward them with extra, just make what we are all eligable for available as they get out, not later when they have already failed.

Since: Sep 08

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 7, 2010
 
I would think a program that cater to inmates who do not come from Fanklin Co. Would be a very important one would to offer. Inmate who would agree to leave Franklin Co. for 3 years would get $500.00 and a ride to their new home out side of Franklin Co. but in NY state.
Then Franklin Co dose not need to suppot themor their family.

xd
balancepoint

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 7, 2010
 
xdrunk wrote:
I would think a program that cater to inmates who do not come from Fanklin Co. Would be a very important one would to offer. Inmate who would agree to leave Franklin Co. for 3 years would get $500.00 and a ride to their new home out side of Franklin Co. but in NY state.
Then Franklin Co dose not need to suppot themor their family.
xd
I agree with sending out of area releases to their point of origin, keep in mind often probation keeps htem from leaving this area, the second point I can make is more important and that is if we are speaking of county jail, almost all incarcerated are originally local citizens. Generally in the state prisons releases almost immediately return to their home town or city and do not stay in Malone. I believe the article addressed franklin county jail releases, so the vast majority have lived here for some time.
viewpoint

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 7, 2010
 
The fact of the matter is a lot of these folks do not have a destination when they get out and that's when desperate measures are taken. Putting personal feelings aside, it would be good to have someone see that they at least have a roof over their head when they get out, otherwise they may visit your home.
NY Stater

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 7, 2010
 
trailertrash wrote:
<quoted text>
well you obviously dont work in the Dept of Corrections because education including and up to the GED test is mandatory and free college education was reintroduced in 2009. the local prisons have teachers from NCCC in at night to teach free courses!
Wrong. I DO work for corrections whether you believe it or not. The course they take are paid for out of the inmates funds. There's nothing like that for free. Tell me, just where in the hell are you getting you information? Sounds like someone is feeding you a line of BS.
For the sake of this letter, I work at Upstate Correctional and have since it opened. I worked at Adirondack Correction and spent 13 years at Franklin Correctional. I was at Franklin when Pataki cut the free college and gave them only an 8th grade level of education. The rest was up to them. There's also many teacher that donate their time on a volunteer basis to help out. Yes - people actually do that. In my almost 25 years, I've seen some success stories come out of corrections. Some DO make it right with the outside world. Most don't.
As far as cost goes, it's not corrections fault it cost so much. Anything corrections provides is mandated by the civil liberty groups and our elected officials. Corrections comes up with nothing towards this goal. They merely provide the venue should an inmate decide to better themselves. Corrections is NOT the cause for high taxes. They are merely the result of law breakers. Corrections didn't put people in jail. The judges, juries, police, and lawyers did. It's our job to see to it that they do their time and to abide by the laws set forth by the state for inmate care and protection. Don't blame us. We all pay taxes too. Can you imagine how depressed Malone would be without the prisons here? Look at it this way, we're all benefitting from money that's being collected in the form of taxes from places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. It's their money coming to Malone.
Think about it. The only people I've ever heard of trashing the prisons are the ones who couldn't get a job there. The reason they couldn't get a job?? They didn't take the time to learn anything - nothing tangible in the way of talent or education. They're the ones that figure the jobs are going to come up and bite them on the butt. They aren't willing to go out and work towards getting one.
Take Care. And stay warm.
NY Stater

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 7, 2010
 
xdrunk wrote:
I would think a program that cater to inmates who do not come from Fanklin Co. Would be a very important one would to offer. Inmate who would agree to leave Franklin Co. for 3 years would get $500.00 and a ride to their new home out side of Franklin Co. but in NY state.
Then Franklin Co dose not need to suppot themor their family.
xd
First of all - they are NOT released in Malone. Never have been. They legally MUST be released nearest their last known legal address. The inmates NEVER stay here. The department would not let them. And as for families that try to move closer to their loved ones while they're in prison?? That doesn't work either. They pack up the inmate and send him to a different place the minute they hear the families might try to do that. And the inmate families MUST pay their own way here to visit too. No free rides. These are all IRON CLAD facts people.
NY Stater

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 7, 2010
 

Judged:

1

viewpoint wrote:
The fact of the matter is a lot of these folks do not have a destination when they get out and that's when desperate measures are taken. Putting personal feelings aside, it would be good to have someone see that they at least have a roof over their head when they get out, otherwise they may visit your home.
Read my reply to xdrunk. This isn't going to happen. One thing for sure, these guys need the city to live. They could never survive up here.
THey always have a destination or they wouldn't be released. IF they didn't the state would put them up in a designated half way house.
You people need to stop gossiping about a subject you all know very little about. And most of all - quit worrying. Dept. of Corrections is probably one of the most professional running departments in the entire state. You all should actually be proud that you're making such a huge contribution to it by hosting 3 prisons in your home town. All 3 of which are probably the most economical to run on a per capita in the entire state.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 7, 2010
 
Did anyone read the article? It's about the local correctional facility, not the state facilities. It details the possible implementation of a program to help local inmates transition back to the community with as little trouble as possible. There have been too many instances of inmates being released from the local jail, getting into trouble within 2 or 3 weeks for various reasons of instability of living quarters, employment, schooling or applying for benefits they may be eligible for and ending behind the wire on the Bare Hill Road.

This is a real problem that can be alleviated with some planning. It will never go away because we have some really stupid "mutts" who think they can go back to their old ways and not be caught again. But I'm glad that something is being tried.
trail mix

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 7, 2010
 
NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all - they are NOT released in Malone. Never have been. They legally MUST be released nearest their last known legal address. The inmates NEVER stay here. The department would not let them. And as for families that try to move closer to their loved ones while they're in prison?? That doesn't work either. They pack up the inmate and send him to a different place the minute they hear the families might try to do that. And the inmate families MUST pay their own way here to visit too. No free rides. These are all IRON CLAD facts people.
Whoever this person is, they have no idea of what their speaking about;
.1)What a joke..the prisoners are not released here??Please speak to anyone who works at the Franklin County Dept. of social services for an update to that one.There are dozens of past inmates that came through the prison system, did their time in Malone, and started a life here.
.2)There is one bus per week that, that comes up here from NY city that allows folks to ride at no charge, for the purpose of visiting. Please ask any state employed correction officer, and not this "wannabe" NY STATER. The only thing he probably is, judging from his ignorant commentary is A NYS welfare bum...lol
trail mix

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 7, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. I DO work for corrections whether you believe it or not. The course they take are paid for out of the inmates funds. There's nothing like that for free. Tell me, just where in the hell are you getting you information? Sounds like someone is feeding you a line of BS.
For the sake of this letter, I work at Upstate Correctional and have since it opened. I worked at Adirondack Correction and spent 13 years at Franklin Correctional. I was at Franklin when Pataki cut the free college and gave them only an 8th grade level of education. The rest was up to them. There's also many teacher that donate their time on a volunteer basis to help out. Yes - people actually do that. In my almost 25 years, I've seen some success stories come out of corrections. Some DO make it right with the outside world. Most don't.
As far as cost goes, it's not corrections fault it cost so much. Anything corrections provides is mandated by the civil liberty groups and our elected officials. Corrections comes up with nothing towards this goal. They merely provide the venue should an inmate decide to better themselves. Corrections is NOT the cause for high taxes. They are merely the result of law breakers. Corrections didn't put people in jail. The judges, juries, police, and lawyers did. It's our job to see to it that they do their time and to abide by the laws set forth by the state for inmate care and protection. Don't blame us. We all pay taxes too. Can you imagine how depressed Malone would be without the prisons here? Look at it this way, we're all benefitting from money that's being collected in the form of taxes from places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. It's their money coming to Malone.
Think about it. The only people I've ever heard of trashing the prisons are the ones who couldn't get a job there. The reason they couldn't get a job?? They didn't take the time to learn anything - nothing tangible in the way of talent or education. They're the ones that figure the jobs are going to come up and bite them on the butt. They aren't willing to go out and work towards getting one.
Take Care. And stay warm.
If you are employed in NYS corrections, it is in the capacity of a file clerk, or a janitor. Definitely not an officer.
viewpoint

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 7, 2010
 

Judged:

1

NY Stater wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my reply to xdrunk. This isn't going to happen. One thing for sure, these guys need the city to live. They could never survive up here.
THey always have a destination or they wouldn't be released. IF they didn't the state would put them up in a designated half way house.
You people need to stop gossiping about a subject you all know very little about. And most of all - quit worrying. Dept. of Corrections is probably one of the most professional running departments in the entire state. You all should actually be proud that you're making such a huge contribution to it by hosting 3 prisons in your home town. All 3 of which are probably the most economical to run on a per capita in the entire state.
If you took time to read the article(which obviously you did not)you would discover that this article is in regards to the local county jail, not the state facilities. Before you attempt to "enlighten" people with your magnificent opinions, please try to understand what the subject is in regards to...dummy!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••